FanFic - Michael/Maria
"If I Am"
Part 1
by !alien!
Disclaimer: FAN fiction. Name says it all.
Summary: Set after season 1. Starts off with Michael's thoughts and has interaction later on. It's a songfic and the lyrics are important so please read them.
Category: Michael/Maria
Rating: G
Authors Note: The song is "If I Am" by Nine Days. It's one of my favourite songs off the album and I think the lyrics pretty much demanded a fic. Apologies if anyone has done this. I hadn't read one. Tell me what you think (honestly)!
"the answers we find
are never what we had in mind"

I had a plan. I was going to find my answers. I never thought to worry about what happened after that. Everything was going to fall into place, I'd belong.

"if I am
another waste of everything you hoped for
i will let you down"

So what now? Loner? Underachiever? Rebel? It didn't matter when they judged before. I never used to think of myself as any of that. Wasn't going to be one of their damn labels. So if I'm not Michael-Guerin-looking-for-answers anymore, who am I? Just Michael Guerin? Then I'm nothing.

"and you could find the fault
in the heart that you've been handed"

Maria. She didn't care that I always screwed up. She never hit me, not like Hank, not like Max. She wanted me. And I said no.

"if I am
only here to watch you as you suffer
i will let you down"

She's never going to forgive me. I'll watch her as she cries. Watch her as she waits for me, when I won't be coming back.

"for though I cannot fly
i'm not content to crawl"

If I hadn't wanted to know so badly, if I hadn't been so preoccupied with finding out. We could have been together. Nasedo, Tess, they'll see to it now that we never are.

"so you're standing on a ledge
it looks like you might fall"

It was his piece of the desert. Where he could be alone and believe he might be somewhere else in the universe.

"or maybe you were thinking about jumping"

Michael took another step towards the edge and felt the awesome rush the height gave him..

"so far down"

Maria pulled her Mom's car up. And then she saw him. Just standing there. She began to run.

"but you're so far gone
that you don't see the hands upheld to catch you"

Maria stood behind him and surveyed the situation. He looked so lonely. She reached out and grabbed his hand. Michael turned around, startled, but then turned back, saying nothing. Maria tugged gently on his arm and he took a step back. They held on to each other and didn't let go.

"you don't talk of dreams
i won't mention tomorrow
and we won't make those promises that we can't keep"

After a while Michael pulled away. He looked briefly at Maria, muttered "thank you" and walked off in the direction of Roswell. It wasn't much, but it was enough for now.

Index
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.