FanFic - Michael/Maria
"Obsession"
Part 5
by Zagnom
Disclaimer: I own nothing and no infringement is intended.
Summary: Maria has an obsession ... read on!
Category: Michael/Maria
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: This is the first part of many to come ... or maybe not so many, but more are on the way.
Today was the day. She was as determined as the New Mexico heat when it wanted to burn the skin. Tess had Max’s trust. She finally met beings that were just like her and strangely, nothing ever felt so right to her. Today in this early morning, Tess was going to get Michael to trust her even if she had to use force. She was only in Roswell- around her new friends- for about a month and she already knew that Michael caused most of the groups problems ... not counting Max healing Liz. She wanted to visit him when she knew he would be home she followed him the previous night. She was relieved slightly when Michael finally returned to his apartment after leaving Max’s room. Well first, he went out to the resevior and then to his favorite cave ... but ultimately, he ended up right where he started- the place where he lived. Not home- just his place in Roswell, New Mexico. She spied on him as he flopped onto his vintage recliner and flipped through the stations on his little black and white television. Once he stopped at a hockey game that he probably forgot was playing she decided it was time to talk. She knocked on his door, knowing that he would decide that he should answer it. It was the least he could do, no matter who was there to visit him.

As he opened the door, she had to suppress a giggle as his eyes widened even though he still had to squint to prevent being stunned by the blazing sunlight. He never expected to find Tess at his door. Even though Max insisted that she was one of them, even though he had let her into the group ... Michael just didn’t trust her and Tess knew that- it was the reason she came.

In truth, He didn’t like the effect that she had on the group. He didn’t have that strange Isabel fantasy until after she started getting close to Max and deep down, Michael blamed Tess for that dream that he and Isabel seemed to share. She was one complication he thought he didn’t need and really didn’t want. So, he just stood there, guarding the doorway and hoping she would just go away.

Tess had already been around him enough in the past month to be able to read him- mostly because she was an alien, but she couldn’t ignore the strange feeling she had about him. Still, she wasn’t going to put up with his shit. So Tess asked him as if she was already annoyed, "Mind letting me in?" Michael tried to guard the door even more in response to her question and added as she watched him without a single intention to go away, "Yeah, I do Tess." Tess rolled her eyes, took one step towards him, and noticed that he moved in response to her movement, letting her walk right in. She didn’t even think that he realized that he had moved the way he did.

Michael closed the door, behind her remembering to lock it before he asked Tess what she wanted. He didn’t even offer her a seat. Tess knew that he probably wasn’t about to be hospitable to someone he didn’t trust. Instead, she shoved his things off the couch and sat down on the old piece of furniture with a grimace. She didn’t even want to think about how dirty the 30 year old furniture had to be with the stench that seemed to emanate from it. She said to him matter-of-factly, "You don’t trust me." Michael leaned on his small kitchen counter in the same room as the couch and said gruffly, "I don’t trust you." Tess replied just as vehemently, "Too bad." Michael repeated, still angry at her for coming in, "What do you want, Tess?" Tess shrugged and said without looking at him, "What’s the point, you don’t trust me." Michael moved to the door and began to unlock it as he said, "Fine. Then leave ... now." Tess began to walk out as she commented like she didn’t care, "There is that Maria thing..."

Michael closed the door he had just opened and looked straight at her, compelled to hear her out now that she mentioned Maria. He said, still unhappy, "What Maria thing?" Tess scoffed and said, "Please, you didn’t honestly think that I didn’t notice!" Michael wasn’t feeling appeased as he said apparently frustrated by Tess’s beating around the subject as he practically yelled, "What Maria thing?" Tess didn’t even shudder at that making Michael think that maybe he could trust her. She just turned to face him and said, "You love her. I can see it written all over your face." She watched Michael as he slowly calmed down and said indifferently, "so?" Tess continued, as she thought, ‘he can’t be this thick,’ keeping eye contact so he would know that she meant each word, "She loves you, you know. She does and you can’t handle it. You’ve ... you’ve never been really loved have you?" She saw the hurt look in Michael’s face and instantly, she knew that she was right. This guy never had anyone who really genuinely loved him. In consequence, she figured he never genuinely loved anyone else either- well, until now. Finally Michael spoke to her, "Why should I talk to you about this?" Tess took a deep breath as she began to explain.

She said, "You think you’re the only one who grew up feeling like an outsider? My dad works so much, he barely even acknowledges my existence anymore. Of course, I’m adopted, but still. All my life- well as long as I can remember- I’d travel with my ‘dad’ if you can call him that, from place to place. I never made any real friends until now, just because my dad’s convinced that we won’t be moving anymore. I’m part of your group of friends. You can’t avoid me forever." Michael averted his eyes as he said, "I can try." Tess huffed in frustration and said, "Michael I have the same secret as you. If I turned you in, they would get me too. You have every reason to trust me. Besides, I ... I care about you, okay?" Tess looked at Michael semi-angrily as he sighed, but tried to contain his sigh at the same time. She began to smile only because she knew what that meant. He decided to trust her. He asked her, "So maybe I can trust you. What can you tell me about my girl problems that Max hasn’t already tried to explain?" Tess sighed, it was her turn to do so and said, "Actually ... not much, but something." She paused as he crossed his arms and said, "I’m waiting," so she continued, "How about trying something that Max wouldn’t think to suggest, because he doesn’t even do it? Like something my so- called dad once told me." She looked at him knowing that she had his full attention and he was impatient as he said, "well?" Tess looked straight into his deep, cool, hazelnut eyes and said, "follow your heart." Seeing the dumbfounded expression on Michael’s face she knew he never got that kind of advice before and she glowed on the inside knowing that he heard it from her. The she saw Michael do something in front of her for the first time- he smiled.

Email Author | Back to FanFic Page
Part 6
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.