FanFic - Michael/Maria
"On Hollow Ground"
Part 5
by Ria
Disclaimer: I don't own Roswell or any of its characters I'm just having some fun with it all.
Summary: Some fishy things go down in the little town of Roswell and when problems arise the pod squad doesn't know who to trust.
Category: Michael/Maria
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: I know it's been forever since Cruel Intentions and 3 Strikes and You're Out, but I finally made the time amongst my summer vacation and wrote my second real fan-fic so I hope everyone likes it. I'd love some! Feedback always cures writer's block. :-) Because I'm lazy and also love NBC's show ER I decided to use some of the doctors and nurses from the show. NBC don't sue me-I don't own any of the doctors. Okay that's it--so go ahead and read on.
A warm substance was gushing, covering their helpless bodies. The car toppled over itself and Michael felt his knees hit the back of Maria's head. Was he going to die? At the excruciating sensation of something slashing into his arm, Michael's body twisted in mid air, while Maria's pliant body, instead of fighting gravity, obeyingly toppled and smashed around the condensing front seat that held them prisoner.

As the car came to out of its final roll, Michael gave a quick shout as his entire body weight was thrust on his arm. Then silence. Michael unclenched his shut eyes and let his eyes fall on the horrified scene that laid before him. A few inches away from him, Maria sat with one leg on the front seat and the other hanging out the busted window. Blood flowing from only God knew where covered Maria's entire face.

Coughing violently at the sight and smell of the fresh blood, Michael looked down to his own body to see it also covered in a sheet of slippery crimson.

"Help!" Michael yelled at the top of his lunges at the sound of the ambulance sirens blaring.

"They're coming!" A man in a plad T-shirt and cowboy hat yelled to him through what used to be the windshield. Michael moved his uninjured arm and ran a trembling hand over his cheek to feel the tiny pieces of glass that jutted out, slice the skin on his fingers raw.

"Maria?" Her body still laid silent on the asphalt and what was left of her car. Michael tried to move his legs but tensed up at the death-rattling pain that shot through his bones. He shivered as the numb feeling in his body melted away to expose an intense- indescribable pain.

"In there, they're still alive!"

Michael looked up squinting in pain and was only upset by the EMT that looked down at him. "No, get her first. She's hurt worse." Michael grunted through clenched teeth as the EMT slid a neck brace around his bloody head.

"Alright, hold on, we need to get you out first. What's your name?" Another EMT grabbed Michael by his under arms, dragging his body half out of the car, trying to get a better look at him.

"Ouch." He put a rough hand on the EMT's. "Michael Guerin."

"Sorry, I know that hurts. My name is Cal. How old are you Michael?" He twitched and moaned as the second EMT stuck a needle into his arm. "Hold on, stay with us." Michael looked up at him blinking as the rain pouring down blurred his vision.

"I'm 17." Cal and his partner pulled the rest of his body from the car and slid an oxygen mask over his face.

"This is Ed." Michael looked at the 2 of them, aware of their doings and paying close attention.

"You get the girl, I've got him." Cal said after he and Ed had fastened Michael to a stretcher.

Michael looked on in horror as the Ed made his way in through the open window and checked Maria's pulse.

"What's her name?" Ed yelled out to them.

"Maria." Michael wiped the rain out of his eyes and tried to sit up.

"Maria!" Cal called to his partner. "Michael, be still, she's going to be okay." Cal a gentling put a hand on Michael's chest. "Maria, can you hear me? Squeeze my hand if you can." He shook his head, taking his hand from her limp fingers, and without another word stuck a needle in Maria's bare thigh.

Michael's view was blocked when another EMT and Cal picked the stretcher up and carried him to the ambulance. Everything was happening so fast. Would he ever see Maria again?

Cal moved out of the way, restoring Michael's blurry glimpse of Maria. Her blood stained body was now being lifted from the car. He felt his heart smash into a million pieces and felt what Cal thought was a drop of rain slide off the edge of his nose as Ed lowered his mouth to Maria's and started blowing air into her lifeless body.

***************** "Hurry Max, I can feel what he is feeling." Isabel kicked the back of her brother's seat as they speeded down the streets of Roswell.

"What is he feeling?" He looked at her in the rearview mirror.

"He-he's really scared. God, Max, he's so scared." Isabel held back her tears.

"What's wrong? Why is he scared?"

"I don't know. He's just sending out this completely horrified vibe." She looked to Liz, who sat in the passenger seat of the jeep with a worried look on her face.

"This is my fault." Liz said to herself sitting straight in her seat.

"Isabel, use your powers. See where he is-see what's going on." She looked at her brother unsure of her own power. "This is what they're for. Use them. Michael needs us." Isabel nodded, shutting her eyes trying to clear he mind. She concentrated on the picture of Michael's face in her mind. Light flashed and sounds that Michael was hearing came through to Isabel loud and clear. Soon after, Michael strapped onto the stretcher and struggling to sit up could be seen.

"Michael, it's okay. We're taking you to the hospital. You need to relax." Cal continued looking through the medicines and oxygen kits that were on the walls of the ambulance.

"Michael!" Isabel grabbed his face in her hands. "What's happening? Where are you going?"

"We were in an accident-Maria's hurt bad." Tears drained out the side of Michael's face. "T-they're taking us to Roswell Memorial."

"Okay, Michael hold on. Just hold on." She kissed his tear stained cheek and pressed the side of her face to his.

"Isabel!" She looked up at her surroundings at the sound of her brother's voice.

"Go, he's calling you." Michael looked up at Isabel and motioned for her to go back.

"I can't leave you-"

"Isabel!" She heard his urgent voice again.

"We'll be waiting at the hospital when you get there." She kissed his forehead and after taking a deep breath, shut her eyes.

"Isabel look."

"What?" Her eyes flipped open and she looked around her to see the car stopped in a heavy flow of traffic.

"There was an accident Isabel." Max turned in the driver's seat to meet his sister's gaze.

"I know. It was them."

"Is it them?" Liz turned with tears in her eyes to Max and let tears flow at the nod of his head.

"Michael doesn't look too good and he says Maria's hurt real bad." Isabel felt the tears sting her eyes. "He's on his way to Roswell Memorial." Isabel and Max covered their ears at the passing of an ambulance and it's piercing siren. "And so is Maria."

*********************

"Ahh!! Please stop!" Maria screamed in agony as Ed felt her arms.

"I know it hurts, I think you have a few broken bones." He took his hands away from her arms and held his hand up in front of Maria's face. "Follow my fingers." She obeyed sobbing at the merciless pain that sat grinding through her entire body.

"Tell me if this hurts." He tapped the bare bottom of her right foot, which was missing her shoe because of the disaster.

"No." She shook her head, trying to keep her sanity at the feeling of pain that pulsed through her body. "My head is pounding and I feel like I'm going to be sick."

"You're just in shock, try and relax, we're almost there." He said taking his stethoscope from his ears and radioing into the hospital.

"Roswell Memorial." The nurse's fuzzy voice could barely be heard over the noisy siren.

"This is 248 calling ahead for the ER to set up a room for a severe multiple trauma." He barely touched Maria's upper arm and wasn't shocked at the shrilling scream that escaped from hers lips. "Okay, I'm not going to touch you again, it's okay." He put his hand, which was covered with a blood stained plastic glove up to his forehead, waiting for the reply over the radio.

"Go ahead."

"I've got a sixteen year old female who was involved in an automobile accident when a tractor trailor hit her car. She apparently was the driver and because of the force of the vehicles colliding she's been mangled pretty bad." Maria felt her tears dampening her face. Was she going to die? Her brain told her 'no' but the pain encompassing her told her another story.

"Were there any other victims?" The woman's voice sounded in more of a rush now.

"Yeah, a 17 year old male who's also on his way." He looked at Maria's vitals beeping on the machine he held in his hands. "Should we prep the OR just incase?" He looked at Maria's shaking body as it trembled uncontrollably.

"Yeah, she's probably going to need it."

*********************

"Trauma 2 is open." A thin, slightly bald man dressed in green scrubs took hold of the end of Michael's stretcher and pulled him down a long corridor.

"Vitals are good. Blood pressure in 180 over 90. Pulse is 94." As Cal began stating all his vitals, Michael felt his breath get caught in his throat. He was being captured. And like an animal in a cage they were tying him down. He was on his way to being tortured and only God knew what else.

"17 years old. He and a friend were in a car accident after a trailer tractor jackknifed on 285 south." Michael opened his eyes again at the sensation of hands touching him.

"On my count. One, two, three." The man in the green scrubs and a few nurses were now putting him on what felt like a padded table. "My name is Mark Greene, I'm a doctor here in Roswell Memorial's ER. You're going to be okay so don't be afraid. What's your name?"

"Michael Guerin." He tried to fight the nurse who was cutting his T-shirt from his chest.

"Michael, don't fight. We're just taking your shirt off so we can see the extent of your injuries." Michael looked at the nurse with brown curly hair and dark eyes cutting his T-shirt away.

"Carol, hurry with the shirt, his vitals are getting shaky." Another doctor shined a light in Michael's eyes and ears.

"Carter check his breath sounds too, I think he's having some trouble breathing." The brown haired doctor put the cold end of his stethoscope against Michael's now bare chest.

"Breath sounds are good." Michael looked around the table at all the doctors and nurses that were working on him. He was getting dizzy watching everyone but he couldn't miss Dr. Greene sticking a needle into his arm getting ready to draw blood.

"No." Michael shot a hand up over the needle and pulled it from his arm. He couldn't let them take blood. They'd find out his secret and kill him for sure. He quickly searched for a lie. "Please don't I've been doing drugs and it will show up on the blood tests." He blinked trying to calm his quickly rising chest.

"Pulse is rising." Carol stuck a suction cup on his chest and held it with her plastic covered hand.

"Well you should have thought about that before you took the drugs." Michael shook his head.

"No, you don't understand." He thought for a second. "I don't have any parents-I'm an orphan and if my foster dad finds out he'll kick me out. I-I'll have no where to go." He lied remembering what Hank used to be like and was so glad to be living on his own. Dr. Greene looked at Carol. The brown headed nurse shook her head and pressed another suction cup on Michael's chest.

"What blood type are you?" He gave in and sat the needle back on the trey.

"AB positive."

"You're sure?" He nodded at the nurse and let out a sigh as he sat his head back down on the cardboard like sheets.

*********************

"Name?" The annoying, but huge man at the front of the ER stood in Isabel's way of seeing Michael.

"Michael, Michael Guerin." She tapped a nervous finger on the counter.

"He's in trauma 2 being worked on, I'm sorry no one is allowed in the trauma area." Isabel felt a tear fall from her face.

"But…" Max pulled her into a hug with Liz hugging the two of them. The three of them broke from their stares at the sound of the ER doors bursting open and the sound of Maria's screams filling the room. Max held Liz back as doctors and nurses crowded around the stretcher on wheels that carried a bloody, screaming, horrified Maria.

"It hurts!" Maria kicked the doctor dressed in blue scrubs, walking in front of her stretcher.

"16 year old multiple traumas to the head and body. She was hit by a tractor trailer with her boyfriend. Loss of consciousness due to the accident. G.C.S. 13, multiple facial lacerations. Vitals are low and falling." Ed spoke as Maria continued to shake and shuffle around on the stretcher.

"Alright, one, two, three." She was lifted like a feather from the blood-drenched stretcher by the doctor and with the help of one of the nurses.

"Call radiology and get a CT scan." Maria screamed kicking as on of the nurses cut off her jeans and T-shirt leaving her only in her bra and panties. "And give her 30 cc's of morphine."

"Maria, I'm Dr. Doug Ross, the pediatrician here in the ER." Maria shut her eyes and grimaced at the feeling of all the hands that touched her body. "Maria, I'm going to need you to look at me." She opened her eyes looking at the attractive, brown haired doctor who resembled what Maria thought George Clooney looked like, as he worked above her. "Have you been drinking?"

"Wh-no." Maria let out a shaky breath, feeling the cold air in the ER against her wet, bloody skin.

"Are you high?" Maria shook her head keeping her eyes locked on his.

"I have to pee." Maria bit her lip in pain and groaned, noticing one of the nurses sticking a tube somewhere her underwear hid.

"Go ahead, there's a tube in your bladder." The same nurse who had violated Maria was now sticking a needle deep into Maria's arm and draining blood. Maria screamed once again at the pain that was causing her to have convulsions.

"She needs a C-spine as well as a CT scan." Dr. Ross pulled a syringe from a trey and filled it with a clear fluid. "Maria, the morphine doesn't seem to be working, so I'm going to put you to sleep." Another needle piercing her skin made her convulsions accelerate.

"Help me." Maria choked out as the room stared to go black. "I'm dying."

Part 4 | Index | Part 6
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.