FanFic - Michael/Maria
"On Hollow Ground"
Part 9
by Ria
Disclaimer: I don't own Roswell or any of its characters I'm just having some fun with it all.
Summary: Some fishy things go down in the little town of Roswell and when problems arise the pod squad doesn't know who to trust. Takes place after Destiny minus all the couples breaking up.
Category: Michael/Maria
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: I know it's been forever since Cruel Intentions and 3 Strikes and You're Out, but I finally made the time amongst my summer vacation and wrote my second real fan-fic so I hope everyone likes it.
Michael sat on the couch and put his feet on the coffee table as he clicked the TV on.

"You're such a cuty-patooti." Michael held the remote control up ready to change the channel but looked around the apartment to see if there was anyone to catch him watching the show he secretly loved-The Rosie O'Donnell Show. At the sound of the bedroom door opening, he quickly clicked a channel up to Pokemon. [Great, even better.]

"Why isn't the hockey game on?" He asked aloud, trying to cover his Rosie O'Donnell addiction.

"This is your fault." He turned in his seat on the couch to see Maria standing in the doorway, tears glossing her eyes over.

"What?" He shut the TV off and stood up off the couch, turning to face her.

"I said, this is all your fault." Her chin quivered as she forced the words from her lips.

"What's my fault?" He asked stupidly, knowing exactly what she was talking about.

"Don't make this twenty questions Michael, you know what I'm talking about. You did this to me." He blinked not believing his own ears, but still came closer towards her.

"You're really tired. Maybe you should lay down." He hid the pain in his eyes, but couldn't hide it in the only thing Maria could detect it in-his voice.

"You made me the way that I am!" She screamed tears flowing from her eyes. She threw the full glass of water she held in her hand and as the glass shattered against the wall Michael felt a shiver go up his spine.

"Maria I-" He stopped. What was he supposed to say? I'm sorry I ruined your life. I'm sorry I ever fell in love with you the second I laid eyes on you.

"Don't Maria me, you freak! I hate you." She wiped the tears away. "You are a liar, a prick and a bastard." It hit him. This was all happening and she meant every word she said.

"I love you." He spoke softly and quietly, so quiet he wasn't sure if he even said it.

"The feeling is definitely not mutual." She said her voice full of hatred. Michael looked into her dead, hazel eyes and held his stomach as it twisted into a ball. This was his entire fault. Maybe if he hadn't egged her on in the car earlier that morning she would still have her sight. They would have seen the truck coming.

Then, like he was being gutted, she spoke again, this time from the darkness, her darkness. "I never loved you." He winced just a second before she sent him a heavy shove. His back hit the bathroom's door frame and he stood speechless, thinking that if he had a gun at that moment he would have shot himself right there in front of her.

"What's going on?" Isabel said opening the bathroom door and looking between the two of them. "Michael?" She looked at his hurt eyes and the tears that nearly spilled from them.

"He was here!" Liz stumbled out of Michael's bedroom and stopped dead in her tracks at the sight of Michael and Maria.

"What? Okay, I am definitely missing something." Isabel looked confused at the ticking situation around her.

"He's still is here." Liz said as Maria's sleepy face stuck out of the doorway beside her.

"Michael?" She asked as Liz took her hand. Shocked, Michael looked to the Maria who stood in front of him and the Maria next to Liz.

"This is getting weird." Isabel, still perched in the bathroom's doorway was having a hard time keeping her sanity.

"Which one of you is him?" Michael's eyes flared looking at the two Marias.

"You'll never beat me. You're all too stupid." The Maria that stood in front of him said grinning before she gave him a powerful shove and ran out of the apartment. Isabel, Liz, and Maria watched Michael's body shoot up from the ground and tear out of the apartment on foot, after whatever he had just been talking to.

"Wait!" Michael yelled, following who he had thought was Maria down the stairway. Once at the bottom of the stairway he lost her. She was gone. She disappeared into thin air. Suddenly arms were around his and he was being shoved into the brick wall beside the stairway up to his apartment building.

"Are you Michael Guerin?"

"Yeah, who wants to know?" He twisted trying to get free of the man's grip.

"Deputy Ron Keys of the Roswell Police force. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say or do will be used against you in the-"

"Why are you arresting me? I haven't done anything wrong." Ron snapped handcuffs around his wrists, pulling him away from the brick wall.

"You are being arrested for the kidnapping of Maria De Luca and Elizabeth Parker. Where was I? Oh yeah, anything you say or do will be used against you in the court of law…"

********************

"Hurry!" The mysterious person wearing Maria's face yelled in a hoarse whisper in the jungle gym of the playground beside Michael's apartment building. "Give me my own face back before I rip this one off myself." With a sigh the stranger waved his hand over the stolen face. "Ahh, much better." She smiled, fluffing the back of her head, keeping her blonde curls bouncy and full of body. "What time is it?" Her satisfied face turned to an angry frown. "Get your ass to the airport and work your magic. And this time finish the job-I want him dead."

********************

"What just happened here?" Maria walked out of the bedroom with Liz and before anyone had a chance to answer Isabel was off running too.

"Isabel where are you going?!" Liz ran out of the apartment pulling Maria right behind her.

"No! Michael!" Isabel screamed, pounding her hands on the window in the apartment building's hallway. The two girls hand in hand came up behind her.

Liz followed Isabel's gaze to the parking lot of the apartment building where Michael was being pushed into the back of a police car.

"What? What are you seeing and what's going on?" Maria cried allowing all the anger and fear to come out.

"Michael." Isabel pushed her cheek against the window's cold glass and let a tear fall. ********************

Max felt a gust of cold wind hit him as he passed through the entrance of the small airport. Without a glance he made his way through the crowds of rushing people trying to make it to their flights on time.

"Excuse me sure." Max stood at an airline desk with a line of people.

"One at a time, please." The tall, snooty man wearing blue pants and white airline shirt advertising his company called down the line, looking straight at Max.

"No, I'm not buying a ticket, I was just wondering if flight 546, from Albuquerque had arrived yet." He watched the man hand a customer a ticket and start handling the next person in line.

"Flight 546 from Albuquerque has arrived but it's being delayed." He typed a few commands into the computer and sent out a page, announcing the arrival of flight 298, never looking at Max.

"Wait, it's here but it's delayed?" He stared at the gangly man until he finally gave in and huffed,

"It's here-" He stapled 2 tickets together. "-but clearance to the plane and near the passengers is restricted." He finished, running an American Express card through a credit card machine.

"Why?" He squinted at the tall man.

"I don't hold the authority give that kind of information out. All I can say is there was a situation on board while passengers were exciting the airplane and a few of the passengers were hurt."

"Hurt? Thanks-" He looked down at the man's name tag. "-Tom, for all your help, but can you to tell me where I can go or who I can talk to, to get some more information about this?"

"You can try security. They're probably a little busy but-" Max turned from the counter and took off in a brisk walk towards the security station.

*******************

"What are we going to do? Are we just supposed to leave him with the police?" Maria asked leaning against the kitchen counter in Michael's apartment.

"We have to. What good is it to go down to the police station? Max told us to stay here." Isabel shot Liz a strange glance, but before a word got out of her mouths Liz gave an explanation. "Behold, I've learned to read lips." She said showing weak smile.

"Oh." Maria said, hushing the voice in her head that told her to tell them about her sight returning for a minute. She probably just imagined it. Even if she did tell them what was she going to say? During one of her hot make-out sessions with Michael, her sight mysteriously returned just in time for her to see Michael stick his tongue into her mouth? [I bet Isabel would really appreciate that.]

"This just feels wrong. We should at least do something to help him. We're just standing by watching this all happen." Isabel said pulling her hair back into a tight braid.

"I know how you feel but we can't just go down there and demand to see him." Liz said, nervously nibbling on the ends of her shadowy, brown hair.

"Yeah, they won't let us see him. We'll just end up waiting a few hours until some fat, smelly cop filled to the rim with donuts and coffee comes out and tells us to go home." Maria added her vivid opinion, rubbing her hands over her face, exhausted.

"So then that's it. End of discussion. There's no point in us going down there. We should just wait for Max and Alex." Liz said, trying not to sound too bossy as she pulled the wet tips of her hair from her mouth.

*******************

"Alex Whitman. That's W-H-I-" The security guard cut Max off.

"Son, I already told you, there's no one on the list with that name." He flipped through the sheets of paper on his clipboard before giving Max a sympathetic glance.

"But that can't be. He was on this flight."

"We got the name of every person on the flight after the accident and he wasn't one of them. I don't know what to tell you." The security guard shook his head.

"Alex Whitman? Tall, black hair, about 6'2", geeky-"

A police officer cut him off. "Excuse me son, could you come with me?" Max eyed the stranger dressed in the police uniform, but tipped his head to the security guard before following the slightly taller officer.

"From who you just described I think we've found your friend." He pushed open a door, leading Max down a long, bare, white hallway. "There wasn't an accident. A man was attacked in the airport as he exited the plane." He punched in a code and opened a door leading down another hallway. "Your friend, does he have a mental disorder? Some sort of mental illness? Schizophrenia?"

"No." Max said coming off, sounding a little too distressed. "Why would you think that?"

"He was the man who was attacked. When we tried to let a physician take a look at him, things got out of control and we had to use restraints. The doctors diagnosed him in severe shock. He couldn't even talk." Max struggled to keep the same pace as the tall officer as they galloped down the long corridor.

"He couldn't talk?"

"No, that's the odd thing. As soon as the other officers were able to remove the attacker from him, he couldn't speak a word."

Part 8 | Index | Part 10
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.