FanFic - Michael/Maria
"The Past Enemy "
Part 1
by Baby Angel
Disclaimer: I own nothing. I don't even have my own apartment nor my own job. So don't sue.
Summary: Maria's dad is back and he is not so nice but she has a knight in shining armor.
Category: Michael/Maria
Rating: PG
Authors Note: Please send feedback. This is my first story on the internet.
Over Roswell the crescent moon shone in the big, black sky. Stars glittered and sparkled in the vast universe. Far away galaxies, unaided to the eye, spun on their own orbit.

Maria DeLuca watched from the back door of the Crashdown. She had worked all day and the restaurant was still crowded. And it was only seven o'clock. It was a Monday and school was tomorrow and she hadn't even finished her homework. As she walked back into the Crashdown she ran into Liz Parker.

" Maria, where have you been?" Liz asked.

" Outside," she responded simply.

" Well, come on."

Maria walked pass the swinging door and out into the dining room. She took a deep breath and sighed. In there usual Max, Micheal, Isabel, and Alex sat chatting. Maria walked over to them, " What will it be?"

" The usual," Max answered.

" Just a Coke and cake," Micheal returned.

" Usual," Isabel answered.

" Usual," Alex responded.

" K," Maria responded slowly. " I'll be back."

" You, OK?" Micheal asked.

" Fine, why?"

Max butted in, " You seem distant."

" Well, isn't everyone."

She then walked back to the kitchen and placed the order. The rest of the night was full of " Misses and Ma'ams " run by the customers and their complaints because something was wrong with the order. By ten-thirty the Crashdown was getting ready to close for the night. Maria sat at the gang's booth, resting. Her feet, back, and arms hurt from waiting table for 12 hours. " Maria, can you close up?" Mr. Parker asked.

" Yeah, sure," Maria replied. She stayed sitting for a few more seconds before going to her locker.

Maria took off her apron and her alien head band. She smoothed her hair back, got her keys, and walked to the front where she locked up. A shadow was by the light post. " Come to walk me home?" she asked to the darkness around her.

" You know it's not safe to walk the streets alone at this hour," the young man commented.

" Come on Micheal, I'm a big girl."

" Yeah, that's a true comment," Michael echoed.

" Whatever."

" No, but seriously things have been happening Maria that I don't want to happen to you."

Michael came out of the dark and closer to Maria and the light. His hair was slightly falling onto his face and his eyes held sincerity. A small smile crossed her lips.

" Fine, I guess I need a 'little' protection."

" Good." They walked to Maria's house in silence. Lights were on inside. " I guess my mom's still up?" Maria observed, " Thanks for walking me home."

" No problem," Michael nodded. Michael stayed watching her climb the stairs to her mom's apartment.

******

Inside Maria went straight to her room. She didn't want to know what her mom was doing. It wasn't her business. Maria lifted her up top to look into her mirror. On the left side of her rib cage was a bruise.

Maria heard sobs from her mother's room. She walked slowly to the door and opened it quietly. " Mom?" she called quietly.

" Maria, oh, Maria," Amy responded crying. " My baby did he hurt you?"

" No, mom, don't worry about me."

" He past out drunk about two hours ago, I don't know why he came back."

Maria's mom started to sob, again.

" Shoosh, mom it's OK," Maria repeated over and over.

" Maria!" a man bellowed.

" Leave her alone, Ray," Amy yelled.

" Don't tell me what to do with my daughter," he quarreled.

Ray a tall, muscular man walked into the room. Maria stood," Leave mom alone."

Ray brought up his hand and slapped her. "That's for talking back to me about your mother, now scram, brat."

Maria went back to her room and looked in the mirror, again. On her right cheek was a large, red mark to where he had hit her. Maria didn't want to face her dad, so she went to bed.

The night passed slowly, Maria dreamed that Michael was trying to stop her from doing something but she woke up before it was finished as always. In the morning Maria dressed in jeans and a lilac tank top. Her right cheek was bruised so she placed make up on it but it didn't cover it well. She didn't eat breakfast because she didn't have an appetite and she wanted to get out of the house. When she arrived at school Liz was already there talking with the "gang." " Maria," Liz exclaimed.

"What?" Maria responded.

" What's wrong?" Liz asked sincerely.

" Nothing OK. Just leave me alone," she responded icily.

She walked passed them to her locker. The gang watched her go. " Anybody know what's up with her?" Alex asked.

" I don't know, she has been like this for the past couple of days," Liz answered.

" Well, it's not like Maria," Max hinted.

" Yeah, well, maybe she wants some space," Isabel chirped.

" Well, I'm going to find out," Michael decided.

******

Down the hall Maria was getting her stuff out of her locker for first period. Her first period was history in the West Wing. She closed her locker and went down the hall fiddling with her blue necklace. The bell rang. The hall cleared out as Maria walked slowly down to her class. As she passed the Eraser Room, she didn't hear the door open but she felt a warm hand on her mouth and an arm around her waist pulling her back. She tried to bite the hand but was unable to. Pain from her ribs was pulsing through her body. The person let her go. " Owwww!" she exclaimed. " I didn't hurt you," Michael told her.

" Nothing," Maria responded.

" It's something." He came up behind her and placed her hand on where he thought it hurt.

Maria bit her lip so she wouldn't scream in pain. "Stop!"

Michael turned her around and lifted her shirt up to only see a huge bruise on her ribs. "Maria...." he began.

" Don't OK. Just don't," Maria defended as she looked away.

Michael brought back her face to the front. Where his eyes pierced hers. " It's nothing," she repeated.

" Don't lie," he yelled softly.

" Don't ask."

" Maybe I care."

" Maybe I don't need you to care."

" I think you do." Maria was going to respond but somehow his lips captured hers. The kiss was short and sweet. " Now stop arguing and tell me, " Michael demanded.

" My dad's back."

" What?"

" He came and invited himself to our apartment like it was no problem. He started getting drunk like when I was young and he me twice and my mother...." Maria started to cry.

Michael wrapped his arms around her and kissed her hair. After a few minutes the crying subsided and Maria pulled away. That was whenMichael saw the other bruise. Maria's make-up had come off when she was crying. " Maria...." he started softly touching her bruise, " He can't do this to you."

"Michael I can't do anything."

" The police."

" Yeah, The police that's a good one Michael."

" Maria, I just... Don't want to see you like this and does anybody else."

" So what are you going to be my healer now, Michael?"

Without an answer Maria went out the door. Leaving Michael stunned and confused.

******

Michael hadn't seen Maria the rest of the day. It seemed she disappeared. The gang was all to meet up at the Crashdown that afternoon. Michael was late as always.

As he walked in Max, Isabel, and Alex were sitting down. Liz was taking the order. Maria was working the counter.

" Michael where have you been?" Max asked.

" Nowhere."

" You had us worried," Isabel scolded.

" Well, we have other things to worry about," Michael said.

" Like what?" Alex asked.

" Like Maria."

" Maria," Isabel echoed.

" Yeah, Maria's..." Michael was interrupted by a man coming in.

" Her father," Liz whispered.

" Yeah, that's right."

" No, that's her father," Liz indicated to the man who walked in the door.

" That's her father..." Alex murmured.

" Oh my God! That's why...." Liz though out loud.

" Yep," Michael completed for her.

*******

" Dad, what are you doing here?" Maria hesitated.

" Can't a father come to his daughter's work?" Ray asked.

" A father can," Maria responded sarcastically.

" Don't get smart with me," He yelled softly.

" Well, then may I help you?" she asked.

" Speilberg shake."

" Fine."

Maria placed the order and made her round to the two tables that were filled in her area. " Maria," Michael called.

She ignored him. She just went back and gave her father his shake.

******

Maria spent the rest of the day taking orders. When the clock turned to nine, she went back and changed. " Night, Mr. Parker."

Maria went out the little way down to her car. Maria drove the little way down to her mom's apartment but didn't really want to go upstairs. So she sat in the car a little bit. When she did finally decide to go up stairs it was 15 minutes later. Maria took her time going up the stairs. No one was in the kitchen when she went in so she thought her mom would be in her room. She walked in carefully, as she came in she saw her mom was knocked out on the floor of her room. "Mom, Mom!" she screamed frantically.

" Leave your mother alone," boomed her father's voice.

Ray came in and picked her up and threw her across the room. Maria hit the wall hard and was knocked unconscious.

*******

The next thing Maria remembered was waking up in her bad at noon. Her head pounded with pain. " Ohhh!" Maria groaned.

" It's OK," a male voice said.

" It hurts," she said meekly.

" I know." She opened her eyes to see Michael looking at her. " Michael what are you doing here?"

" I came over this morning when you didn't come to school. It seems that your dad left."

" He'll be back."

" What happened?"

" He threw me against a wall." Michael's face grew hot with anger. Maria knew what he wanted to do. "

"Michael no."

" Maria I have to do something. He could do it, again."

" That's my problem."

" It's also, mine. Whatever happens to you affects me, Maria."

" Michael this is my fight."

" Not if I can help it. Get some more rest I'll be back later."

Michael climbed out the window. Maria was left to sleep but she didn't want to. So she decided to read. The rest of the day past by slowly.

The sunset and still Michael had not come back. Maria heard the front door open. "Maria!" Ray yelled. " I brought something home for you."

Ray came into Maria's room holding a glass of water. " Drink up," he told her.

She refused. " Drink," he yelled and shoved it her mouth.

Maria was left no choice but to drink it. Within seconds blackness entrapped her.

******

Maria woke to light shining on her. It was the moon. She slowly got up and walked to the kitchen where she picked up a knife. Then walked to her mother's room. Ray was in there with her mom. " Leave her alone!" Maria yelled.

" Maria...." He spoke softly.

" What did you do to me?!?!?!" she screamed, pointing the knife towards him.

" It was to calm you down."

" Does it look like I'm calm!?!?"

A knock was heard from the front door. But Maria didn't hear it. She only saw that her mom was waking up. " Maria, honey calm down. Let's think rationally here."

" I'm way passed rational here mom. He leaves us on her own and then suddenly comes up out of the blue and starts betting us. Ya I think I going act rationally."

" Maria...." her mom begun.

" He deserves it."

" Maria your not..."

" Stop there are to many voices. Stop!" Maria yelled, gripping her head with the knife still in hand.

Max, Michael, Liz, Isabel, and Alex walked in. Michael whispered to Max to go get the sheriff. " Maria it's going to be OK just settle down just give me the knife," Michael told her.

" Not this time."

" Come on Maria do what you want," Ray told her calmly.

" Shut Up!" Maria demanded, again, pointing the knife at him.

They all tried repeatedly to calm her down in the next few minutes before the sheriff came. When he did finally arrive. " Maria dear, calm down and I don't have to hurt you."

" But...." Maria objected.

" I know he deserves it but he should rather go to jail and get sentenced. Please hand me the knife."

" To many voices. To many. Head hurts." Then she passed out on the floor.

" Maria!" Michael yelled.

*******

Sounds of machines woke Maria from her sleep. Someone was holding onto her hand. As she opened her eyes, she became dizzy.

" Ohhhh!" she groaned.

" It's the drugs," the person told her.

" Michael?" she questioned.

" Yeah, its me," he responded.

" Oh, make it stop."

" Look at me." The moment Maria did, her vision cleared. " Better?"

" Yeah."

" Don't ever do that to me, again."

" Yes, sir," she said meekly.

" The moment I saw you fall I thought I was going to die. Of course not before I killed your father."

Maria looked away. Somehow he found her eyes, again.

" I never felt like he was my father. I don't know what happened though."

" He had given you a very strong drug."

" That made me psycho."

" Well, it wasn't like you hadn't been like it before," he teased.

" Funny."

" Maria, I know sometimes I can be a pain and I can be distant but for some reason, I want this to work."

" Me, too."

Michael came closer and gently kissed her on the lips. And out the window the stars glittered and the moon shone full. The End

Index
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.