FanFic - Michael/Maria
"She Dreams in Color"
Part 8
by Ariana
Disclaimer: I don't own anything Roswellian except a grow an alien I got at the actual alien museum in Roswell. I don't own "Better Man," by Pearl Jam, "Honestly OK," by Dido, or "Dark Blue," by No Doubt.
Summary: What if Maria was the third alien and Michael was Amy's son.
Category: Michael/Maria
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: I just want everyone to know that "Better Man" is my all time favorite song.
"It's quitting time!" Liz announced as she flipped the sign in the window to CLOSED.

Maria sat on one of the stools at the counter, "Good 'cause my feet are killing me."

"Do you need me to help you get your stuff at Michael's?" Liz asked sitting next to her.

Maria shook her head, "Nah, I don't have that much."

"Well I'll be waiting for you when you get back, my parents are really excited," Liz seemed almost giddy.

Maria smiled, "I really appreciate your parents putting me up. I promise I won't be any trouble."

"It's okay, we want you to be as comfortable as possible. So just be yourself," Liz insisted.

Maria joked, "I don't know if that is safe." Liz laughed with her as Michael looked on.

"I promised my mom I would help her with the laundry, so just let yourself in with your key," Liz jumped off the stool and headed to the stairs.

Michael came out from the kitchen, "So do you need a ride?" He tried to make it sound as unfeeling as possible.

Maria didn't look at him, "Yeah I guess."

Maria didn't say a word to Michael on the ride to his house, because she might blurt out her true feelings instead of the fake speech she has been repeating over in her head. She followed him mechanically through the house, but when they reached his room he broke the silence.

"Do you need some help with that?" Michael referred to Maria's gigantic duffel bag.

"No, I don't need your help," Maria snapped a little harsher than she intended. She had to act like she didn't care.

Michael mumbled, "Well you sure needed it last night." He hated the fact that Maria had reverted back to her "I don't trust humans" attitude.

"I could have handled the situation myself, so don't go patting yourself on the back," Maria sneered as she found her leather jacket on Michael's desk chair.

Michael retorted from the doorway, "Yeah, I'm sure blowing up the TV would have scared them off."

"What is your problem!" Maria shouted at him. "You have had a bug up your ass all day!"

Michael shouted back at her, "Funny! I'm not the one with the problem!"

"Oh I forgot, Michael the hero for finding the poor little alien girl a home. Oh please, stop trying to act so self-righteous," Maria quickly put on her leather jacket over her uniform and slung her bag over her shoulder.

Michael's anger rose, "Why don't you start acting a little grateful? I don't see Max and Isabel saving your ass!"

"You are such an asshole!" Maria proclaimed as she shoved right past him.

Michael responded following her, "Oh, first humans are self-righteous and now we're assholes."

Maria whipped herself around, "No you're an asshole!"

Michael stopped by the front door, "I don't know what I ever saw in you. You are certainly not human."

"Fuck you Michael!" Maria escaped the end of the argument just as a clap of thunder echoed through the air.

Michael watched as she ran down the street, and then he angrily slammed the door shut. Maria ran as far as she could, but her heavy bag and heart were weighing her down. She threw down her bag and sulked to the curb, and for the first time in a long time she allowed herself to cry.

~ ~ ~

Maria stood in the middle of her new room, and for the first time in her life she felt like she had a future. She couldn't enjoy this realization because there was knot in her stomach that was tugging at her insides. She walked over and sat down on the window seat. There was rain pelting against the window as she peered out to see people hurrying to get out of the storm. A couple kissing under an umbrella across the street caught her eye and all she could think about was the way she ended things with Michael.

"Why does it have to be this way?" Maria asked herself.

There was a soft knock on the door and Liz poked her head in, "Hey...um my mother wanted me to give these to you." Liz set down a glass vase full of yellow roses.

Maria got up and smelled them; "They are beautiful. You know nobody has ever bought me flowers before."

"We just hope you are happy here," Liz smiled as she turned to leave.

Maria asked, "Liz?"

"Yeah," Liz replied.

Maria questioned, "Do you like Max?"

Liz answered, "Sure, he saved my life and he is a really good guy."

"No, I mean do you like Max, romantically?" Maria asked curiously.

Liz said honestly, "It is complicated, because I'm with Kyle. But Max and I have a connection and he makes me feel..."

"Special," Maria finished, feeling the same way about Michael.

"Yeah," Liz looked a little stunned. "How did you know that?"

Maria told her, "It's in the way he looks at you. He makes you feel like you're the only one in a room full of people."

Liz nodded in agreement, "Yeah, you're lucky to find that kind of person, but it really sucks when you can't be with them."

"My advice to you Liz," Maria said in a serious tone. "Don't let that person go."

Liz responded before leaving, "I know."

Maria looked at herself in the mirror after Liz left, "Because it can be the biggest mistake of your life."

"But it's not too late," Maria told herself grabbing a single rose from the vase and running out the door.

Michael sat alone in his room listening to the tapping of the raindrops on the roof. He had said some things to Maria that he didn't mean and wished he could take back, but the damage has been done. Once Maria left an empty feeling settled in the pit of his stomach.

After Maria ran out of the house he used all the will power he had not to go after her. Although deep in his heart he knows he should have. "Maybe it's not too late," Michael grabbed his jacket and practically flew out the door.

Waiting, watching the clock, it's four o'clock it's got to stop
Tell him, take no more, she practices her speech
As he opens the door, she rolls over
Pretends to sleep as he looks her over

Maria ran in puddle after puddle causing her socks and shoes to get soaked. Her thin uniform clung to her body as she tried to shield the rain from her eyes with her hand.

Across town Michael fumbled in his pocket for his car keys but they weren't there. Instead of going back inside to retrieve them he turned and ran. His destination was the Crashdown.

She lies and says she's in love with him,
Can't find a better man
She dreams in color, she dreams in red,
Can't find a better man

As Maria raced down the street she saw flashes of Max and Isabel appear. She shoved the images back the harder she ran. This time she was going to do what she wanted.

Talking to herself, there's no one else who needs to know
She tells herself
Memories back when she was bold and strong
And waiting for the world to come along
Swears she'd do it, now she swears he's gone

Maria was half way to Michael's house when she saw a figure emerge from the rain.

Michael thought he was hallucinating when he saw Maria standing in front of him. She was soaking wet and out of breath, but to him she was beautiful.

She lies and says she's in love with him,
Can't find a better man
She dreams in color, she dreams in red
Can't find a better man
She lies and says she still loves him
Can't find a better man
She dreams in color, she dreams in red
Can't find a better man
Can't find a better man

"Michael," Maria tried to catch her breath.

"Maria, what are you doing out here?" Michael could see her shivering.

Maria replied wrapping her arms around herself, "I had to see you. I said things I didn't mean."

"I did too," Michael added.

Maria continued, "It's just that us being together is not safe...but I don't care." Maria held up the rose and Michael watched as it turned to red. "I'm sorry."

"I'm sorry too," Michael gently took the rose from her, and his fingers brushed hers. Michael gazed into her eyes, as he leaned in closer. Their lips met as the rain poured down their faces.

She loved him, yeah...she don't want to leave this way
She needs him, yeah...that's why she'll be back again
Can't find a better man
Can't find a better man

"What do we do now?" Michael held her in his arms.

Maria kissed the tip of his nose, "We move on...together."

Part 7 | Index
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.