FanFic - Michael/Maria
"I'll Stand By You"
Part 1
by Theresa
Disclaimer: I don't own any of the characters, although I wish I did, Jason Katims & the rest of the Roswell production team do & WB of course.
Summary: Michael & Maria both come to realizations about their relationship.
Category: Michael/Maria
Rating: PG
Authors Note: SPOILERS: "Independence Day" episode. DISTRIBUTION: if you want to put it on your page go right ahead just let me know and give me credit. FEEDBACK: its my first fanfic so feedback would be greatly appreciated! like I said feedback is welcome because its my first fanfic..the song used in the story is "I'll Stand By You" by The Pretenders.. also *'s=thoughts. DEDICATION: Sam for the inspiration & Fi for getting me hooked on fanfics.
Oh why you look so sad
The tears are in your eyes
Come on and talk to me now
Don't be afraid to cry
Let me see you through
Cause I've seen the dark side too

Maria sat on her bed and looked out of her window at the rain falling down outside. She remembered a night just like this not too long ago. She got up and walked over to the window, pressing her cheek against the cool glass and closed her eyes. She could still see Michael standing there completely drenched by the rain Though she hated to admit it, that was the night when she truly fell in love with him, or at least when she realized she couldn't live without him. Michael never let anyone know how he felt unless he was angry and especially not Maria. But that night he dropped all of his barriers and guards and was completely defenseless and what Maria saw, even though she had no idea why she was seeing it, was an extremely sensitive, amazingly beautiful person. She'd never felt closer to anyone than she had felt when she held Michael in her arms trying to calm his crying, not even her mom or Liz.

But of course, the next day all the defenses were back up. Maria couldn't exactly blame him after the way her mother had reacted to finding them together. Amy had totally overreacted, throwing Michael out and incessantly lecturing Maria even though Maria insisted that they hadn't done anything. Amy just wanted the best for Maria and Maria knew that but if her mother would just put a little trust in her for once then she'd understand her reasonings.

Maria sighed and laid back down on her bed and closed her eyes. She fell asleep listening to the sound of the rain beating against the glass of the window and thinking about Michael.

When the night falls on you
And you don't know what to do
Nothing you can confess
Could make me love you less
I'll stand by you
I'll stand by you
Won't let nobody hurt you
I'll stand by you

Maria spotted Michael in the hall and rushed over to him.

"Michael, we need to talk , like right now" Maria told him.

"Not right now Maria, I don't have the time."

"Well make the damn time, we NEED to talk as soon as we can." "Well, look, now is not the time. You want to talk come to my apartment later, right now i have more important things to worry about, like not failing english." Maria rolled her eyes and mumbled "Well maybe if you'd actually come to class." Michael shot her a look "What was that?"

"Nothing! Fine fine, I'll see you later." Maria said and went off to find Liz.

"What was that all about?" Max asked walking up behind Michael.

"Who knows, Maria's a flaky blonde, could be anything," Michael shrugged.

Max laughed, "Why do you do that?"

"Do what?"

"Brush Maria off like you don't care, like she means nothing to you." "Because, Maxwell, she doesn't. I can't get involved with these humans. We have to be ready to leave. Anytime, night or day, without a bunch of goodbyes. Or don't you remember that?"

"Yeah I remember" Max sighed *All too well* he though to himself.

So if you're mad get mad
Don't hold it all inside
Come on and talk to me now
Hey what you got to hide
I get angry too
Well I'm a lot like you

After school Maria went straight to Michael's apartment. He wasn't there yet so she sat on the hood of her car and waited for him. After about 15 minutes he finally showed up.

"Finally," Maria sighed "Took your sweet time getting here huh?"

"Well I didn't know that you were coming right after we got out I figured you had to work. Besides, didn't know there was a time limit on this interrogation."

"Look don't start. I didn't come here to fight I came to talk with you, rationally"

"Nothing you do is rational Maria." "Michael can't you just shut up for once and listen to me?"

"Calm the hell down Maria. Sniff one of your oils or something. Jesus, what has got you so worked up?"

"You! You and your 'I'm a tough guy I can't let no one in' bullshit, Michael. I can't stand it any more! I know that its just a front, that inside you are real, you have real feelings, I saw them that night! Why can't you just let me in?!? It would be a hell of a lot easier than pretending to not care and it would take a lot less energy!"

Michael just stared at her in shock.

"Well don't just stand there like a complete idiot, say something!"

"Maria! You must have completely lost your mind or something! Why would I care about you?"

"Michael just stop! STOP STOP STOP! I can't take it any more!"

"Maria calm down or go home!"

"Fine!" Maria said as she got into her car and slammed the door.

Michael watched her drive away.

When you're standing at the crossroads
And don't know which path to choose
Let me come alon
Cause even if you're wrong
I'll stand by you
I'll stand by you
Won't let nobody hurt you
I'll stand by you

"What do you mean she flipped out?" Max asked.

"I don't know, I wasn't even there. All I know is what she told me," Liz told him.

"Well what did she say?"

"That she just couldn't take it any more and she had to choose, either keep quiet or tell him and she told him."

"And it's Maria so of course she was overly emotional." Liz nodded, "She got carried away or whatever and Michael threw her out. Well not exactly out cause they were outside his apartment not in it but still." "Did she tell you what he said?"

"That he didn't love her, that he didn't even care about her." "He said that?"

"That's what she said." "Damnit!"

"What?" Liz looked at him questioningly.

"I've got to go find him" Max said and rushed off.

Take me in
Into your darkest hour
And I'll never desert you
I'll stand by you

"Michael! Hey Michael! Wait up!" Max shouted.

Michael stopped and waited for him, "What's up Maximillion?"

"I don't know why don't you tell me?" Michael looked at him puzzled.

"You and Maria, what happened?"

"Nothing, why do you ask?"

"Michael! You've got to stop pushing her away! If you keep doing this, one day she's going to give up and move on!" "Why stop? So I can end up getting attached and then having to hurt her and myself when I have to leave her behind? Besides, I don't exactly see you getting down on one knee and asking Liz to marry you." "Me and Liz are different." "Yeah, everything with you is different Max, whatever." Michael said as he walked off.

And when
When the night falls on you baby
You're feeling all alone
You won't be on your own
I'll stand by you
I'll stand by you
Won't let nobody hurt you
I'll stand by you

The light in Maria's window was already out when he got there, but as Michael stood by the open window he could hear her crying softly. He sighed to himself hoping Maria didn't hear him and sat down in the folding chair he had brought with him. Michael quietly listened to Maria cry herself to sleep wishing he could just climb through that window and hold her and make everything right. But he knew he couldn't. Michael loved Maria. It was as simple as that. But he couldn't let her know, he couldn't run the risk of hurting her, if he hurt her he could never live with himself. And he knew he'd end up hurting her one way or another. Michael peeked into the window and could see Maria silhouetted by the moonlight. The crying had stopped and she was asleep. Michael sat back down. He would be there until morning making sure Maria was ok, like he did every night.

Take me in
Into your darkest hour
And I'll never desert you
I'll stand by you
I'll stand by you
Won't let nobody hurt you
I'll stand by you
Won't let nobody hurt you
I'll stand by you

Email Author | Back to FanFic Page
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.