FanFic - Michael/Maria
"Sun and Moon"
"A LEAP BEGINS"
Part 3
by Jennie
Disclaimer: My mind tells me that I own Roswell, but my shrink tells me I'm delusional. You decide.
Category: Michael/Maria
Rating: R
Roswell consisted of a very small group of civilians and a larger group of military personnel and their families. While the rest of the world recovered and moved on after the war, Roswell was still dealing with it daily. When Razor’s Edge had been constructed to keep the aliens contained, no one was allowed out, and that included the human population as well.

This sounds harsh, but it was expected. The aliens looked exactly like humans so who could tell who was being released onto Human Soil? Slowly, after the war ended, the military would take one family at a time and conduct extensive medical tests to see if they were human or not. The problem was that the aliens were identical to humans in every way except their brains. This made testing difficult and painful. They poked, prodded and stimulated each section of the brain, hoping to evoke some sort of 'paranormal' response. Once a family "checked out" as human, they were allowed to cross the border and lead a relatively normal life.

Ten years, they had been testing people and they still had Roswell left to do. Roswell was saved for last because of its proximity to the alien 'stronghold.' Or so they thought. No one had ever been able to locate where it was exactly, but they estimated it about twenty miles outside of town.

The first family from Roswell to 'check out' were the same Taylors that Maria’s dad was escorting to Human Soil at the moment. Maria knew them well, this being such a small town, and would miss them. She wondered if she would ever leave this town. She also worried that she would be the last one here in this town while all her friends were set free.

Not that she hated it in Roswell. Quite the opposite actually. She loved the landscape. It was breathtaking at sunrise. She loved her school and her friends. She loved her job at the café, even though she complained daily about it. She loved her home, her family... the only thing that she hated was the military training all the teens were forced to endure. All 248 teenagers in Roswell, whether they be civilian or military in familial background, were trained in weaponry, espionage, hand-to-hand combat and much more.

The military base was massive. In fact, alone, it doubled Roswell’s size. Bland and dank, one could only see rows upon rows of nondescript buildings. Normally, Maria and Liz despised being there but today they had just finished their favorite class, kick-boxing, and were in good moods. Animated and hyper, they chatted about their plans for the upcoming night, occasionally breaking into the new combination kick and jump maneuver they'd just learned. Finally reaching Maria's car, they climbed into the car to go to the café for their shifts.

"So what’s the plan for tonight?" Liz asked.

"Well, Kyle is picking up Jessi and Alex at eight and then meeting you, me and Eric after our shifts at the café." Maria leaned over to turn on the radio.

"What about Travis?"

"What about him?" Maria asked defensively.

"Don’t tell me that you didn’t invite your own boyfriend!"

"He has to patrol tonight. Besides, this party is for high schoolers only." Maria smiled lazily and pulled the car into the parking lot of The Victory.

"You wouldn’t have invited him even if he were in high school," Liz stated knowingly. "I don’t understand why you guys are even together."

The two girls entered their work through the back doors slowly.

"Because he loves me and because dad likes him."

"There are so many things wrong with what you just said, I don’t even know where to start."

"Liz, I know. It’s... I... don’t want to be alone."

Before Liz could respond, Eric stuck his head into the employee’s back room from the kitchen.

"Hey girls! Agnes is dying out there!"

Maria grunted. "What’s new?"

She only hoped that her shift went by fast.

***

Five minutes to eight and the place had all but died. Maria figured all her peers were getting ready for the big night at the movie complex. That was the only thing to do on the last day of school. Every year the theater showed five different movies, free of charge, all night with all-you-can-eat junk food.

Maria had started to rejoice at the prospect of ending her shift a half an hour early, when the door jingled.

She looked up and found herself staring into the intense and mysterious eyes of the guy who was in the parking lot at school.

Nervously, she walked over, wiping her palms on her skirt.

"Hi," she breathed. She wondered why she was so nervous around this guy.

He didn’t acknowledge her, but instead looked around.

"You’re new in town," she stated plainly.

He looked panicked and she realized that it must be quite a shock to be so obviously new in the military and transferred to the middle of Hostile Soil.

"Don’t worry," she continued. "It’s overwhelming at first, but you get used to it. The Government usually doesn’t transfer in such young soldiers..." she smiled. "I’m Maria." She held out her hand.

Shaking it firmly, he replied, "I’m Michael."

Maria’s smile brightened. "Well, Michael, welcome to Roswell."

He nodded and glanced around again.

“Are you hungry?”

“I don’t have any money.”

Maria thought for a second. “It’s on the house then. Is your family here also?”

“Yes. My brother and sister.”

“What about your parents?”

The look on Michael’s face hardened. “They died.”

“I’m sorry. My mother died too… in the war.”

He shifted uncomfortably.

“Don’t go away. I’ll be right back.”

She came back a few minutes later with three large bags of food.

“Here you go. That should tide you guys over until you get paid. It’s not the healthiest of foods but at least you won’t starve.”

“Thank you.” His face showed pure shock.

“No problem,” Maria replied, feeling a bit more at ease with the newcomer. “I’ll see you around Michael.”

He nodded, then left.

The split second that the door closed, Liz was by her side.

“Maria! What were you thinking?”

“What do you mean? Oh, the food? I’m sorry. If it’s a problem, I’ll pay—“

“No, not the food! He could’ve been an alien! What happened to all the ‘never trust strangers’ stuff?”

Maria started laughing. “Give me a break Liz! First off, did you see how gorgeous he was? No alien could be that cute. Second, aliens don’t come into town during the day. They hate the light remember? And third, he’s a transfer, he told me.”

“If you hadn’t noticed, it’s dark outside.”

“I know, but,” she lowered her voice to a normal volume. “I saw him today at school too.”

“Maria!” Liz started, but was interrupted by Maria’s hand over her mouth.

"Hey you two! Are you guys ready?" Kyle’s voice boomed through the empty restaurant.

Maria plastered a smile on her face and turned towards her brother. "Cover the restaurant for us while we get ready."

Part 2 | Index | Part 4
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.