FanFic - Michael/Maria
"The Ties That Bind Us"
Part 1
by Teflon Babe
Disclaimer: Roswell belongs to me!! Yeah and I'm the tooth fairy and I live with Santa Clause and all the little elves, in Wellington, and I see Elvis at the corner cafe every morning and he's having coffee the Easter Bunny and Elmo! Okay, Roswell does not belong to me, but if it did, think of all the fun I could have with Brendan Fehr, on the other hand, maybe its not better to think about that. Roswell belongs to Melinda Metz and WB.
Summary: Maria gets harassed, Michael breaks up with her, Maria goes missing... and when she's found she gets blackmailed! There, I think I covered all bases.
Category: Michael/Maria
Rating: PG-13
Kyle Valenti watched as Tess Harding, the new girl, walked across the quad, books in hand, with Isabel Evans, Liz Parker and Maria DeLuca.

'How can such a cutie hang with such a bunch of losers?' Kyle thought. He watched as the four girls sat down at the same table as Max Evans, Michael Guerin and Alex Whitman. All of them shuffled round so that each couple could be next to each other.

Kyle rolled his eyes, then turned his attention back to his friends and the conversation of football. They were talking about the upcoming game. But although it was one of his favourite topics, he couldn't resist sneaking peeks at Tess.

When the bell rang, he stood up and made his way to biology, his favourite class, and not because it was Biology. But because Tess was in his class. * * * Tess Harding was sitting in Biology class, absolutely bored. The only thing keeping her awake was the prospect of scoping out the local talent. One in particular. Kyle Valenti. Even though it was her destiny to be with Max, she couldn't deny that there was an obvious attraction. And from the way she kept looking seeing him look at her, it was obvious that the attraction was mutual.

She looked over at him, and when she saw him looking at her, she blushed, smiled and looked back at her desk.

"Tess Harding."

A sharp voice cut through her thoughts. She looked up to see the teacher looking at her.

"Yes sir?" "Since you seem to be concentrating so hard, could you please repeat what I just said, for those of you who weren't listening."

Tess stood up, looked at Kyle, who gave her a sympathetic smile, and opened her mouth to speak. Suddenly the bell rang.

'Saved by the bell,' Tess thought.

As she walked out the door, she bumped into Kyle. Having never been properly introduced Tess said,

"Hi, I'm Tess." "I know, I'm Kyle."

Tess smiled flirtatiously. "I know."

Her eyes sparkling, Tess turned and walked down the hallway. She didn't have to turn around to know that he was still watching her. * * * 'God how does she do that to me?' Kyle wondered, as she walked away from him. Just as he stepped to walk to his next class, someone slammed into him, and papers went flying everywhere. He turned to say sorry, when he heard a familiar voice.

"Watch it, Chia-head!"

Groaning, he forced himself to look up and into the face of the speaker. Maria DeLuca. It was bad enough that he had to see her around school everyday, and at the Crashdown, but now that his dad was dating her mom.... well he'd always had dreams of a little sister, but when his mom left he knew that it wouldn't happen. But at least she wasn't born, only to become a 'Maria DeLuca Clone' or something!

"What?!"

Maria's hard, cold voice forced all thought out of his head. Her voice sounded accusing.

"What?" he replied, confused. "You were staring!" Maria sounded as if she were talking to a two year old. "Sorry if that's against the law!" He quipped back, voice dripping with sarcasm. Maria just shook her head and walked away, sighing. * * * 'That Chia-head! Staring at me as if I'd suddenly grown another head. God, who does he think he is?'

Maria was walking away from the collision with Kyle. She walked to English, the only class that she had where Michael actually attended. As she walked in, she searched the room for him, and once she had him located, sat in the seat next to him.

"Hi," she said. Michael looked up into her worried and glum face, and couldn't help feeling concerned. This was a far cry from the usually happy and bouncy person she was.

"What's wrong?" he asked. "Oh, I just had a collision with Chia-head Valenti! Oooo, he and his dad make me sooo angry!" Maria blurted out, a look of fury crossing her face. This defiantly wasn't the Maria she usually was.

"Don't worry, Kyle gets on everyone's nerves," Michael said, trying to sound soothing.

"Yeah, but mine especially!" "That's true." The teacher walked in then, killing all conversation. * * * The next day, in Bio, the teacher paired everyone up for some dumb project.

"Lets see... Rory and Vanessa, Darren and Zavana, Sarah and Roseanne, Kyle and Tess..." the teacher droned on like this for quite a while, but Kyle heard no more after 'Kyle and Tess'. Him and Tess. This was the perfect opportunity to get to know her better. He looked over at her and saw her watching him, so he gave her big smile.

She smiled back, then looked at the teacher, then came over to speak to him. He then realised that the teacher had been speaking.

"Hey," Tess looked at him. "Hey," he replied. "Well we'd better set up a time and place to do our studying." "How about my place, 6:30 and we can order in Pizza. What do ya say?" Kyle pouted, for show, a produced a laugh from Tess. "Is that a yes?" He asked hopefully. "That's a yes." Tess said, still laughing. "Good, you won't regret it!"

The bell rang, so they gathered their gear and headed out.

"See you tonight," Kyle called as the parted. "Tonight," Tess agreed. 'See you tonight' Tess thought excitedly. * * * "Pizza's here," Kyle announced, creating a break for tea, in their studying. "Yum, smells delicious!" Tess raved. "Dig in!" "Aren't you going to save some for your parents?" Tess asked. "My dads the sheriff, so he'll be working late, and my mom left when I was a kid." "Oh, sorry, I didn't know." "What are your parents like?" Kyle asked between mouthfuls of pizza

'well my dads an alien, actually so am I , and my mom, well...' no she couldn't say that!

"Well it's just my dad and I, my mom died when I was younger." "Sorry." "It's okay."

Tess & Kyle looked at each other, then they began to lean in, and suddenly Kyles mouth was on Tess. Their kiss was all fiery & passionate, and Kyle could swear that he got a bunch of images running through his head. He wasnt sure how, but ... And then they began to kiss slower. Kyle realised that his hands were in Tess's hair, and that her hands were under his shirt. They broke apart, looking at each other. All thoughts of pizza or biology were forgotten, as they succumbed to the kisses. * * * The next day Max was walking down the hallway at school, when he saw Tess and Kyle, hand in hand.

'When did that happen?' he wondered, as he watched Kyle leaned in and kissed Tess on her lips.

"Max!"

He heard Liz call him, and moments later she grabbed his hand and kissed him. He looked at her a smiled, kissing her lips. He looked back over at Tess and Kyle, and they were still kissing.

"Max! Hello??" "Look."

Max pointed at Kyle and Tess.

"Whoa! When did that happen?" She asked, as they finally broke apart. "I don't know. That's what I was trying to figure out." "Well I think its cute." "You do?" Max asked in surprise. It was no secret that Liz had once dated Kyle, and he wasn't sure how she'd respond to it. "I mean that's great!"

He pulled her to him and gave her a long, soft kiss. She giggled and pulled away. "I gotta go to class," she said regretfully. "See you later," Liz said. Max kissed her once more, then turned in the opposite direction. Liz stopped for a moment, to watch him walk away, then hurried to her class.

On the way, liz thought about Max, Tess & Kyle. She was happy about Kyle and Tess, but she was worried about Max.

'What if he's jealous?' she thought, 'but then there was that kiss!'

The whole destiny thing got to her. She sighed out loud. She'd figure it all out later, but for now she had to concentrate on Maths. * * * Maria walked in to the hallway of her house. School was over and she was looking forward to spending some time with her mom, cause she'd noticed her moms car in the driveway.

"Mom! Hi!" she called out as she walked into the lounge, and walked straight back out.

"Mom! Oh God! Oh. My. Lord." "Sorry hon, we weren't expecting you home so soon." Amy appeared from the lounge, looking slightly dishevelled. Then sheriff Valenti followed, buttoning his shirt back up.

"Maria, sorry you had to walk in on that."

Maria looked at them both, disbelief on her face. she raised her hand to her forehead.

"Um, I think I'll go out. I'll call before I come home."

She turned and raced out the door. She drove straight to the Crashdown, knowing that Michael would probably be there. Maria parked the Jetta, and walked in. She was right. Michael sat in a booth at the back, so Maria walked down and slid in across from him. He had a plate full of onion rings with Tabasco sauce poured all over the top, in front of him.

"Hey."

Michael looked up and smiled.

"Hey."

A shadow fell across the table and they both looked up.

"Maria, can I speak to you for a moment?" Maria smiled. "Sure. Oh, Michael, this is James. He's in my maths class. Hang on a minute, 'kay?" "Sure."

Maria and James walked out of the Crashdown & part way down an ally way next to it.

"Have you thought about what I asked you?" "Yes. I can't okay? I'm dating Michael, and I'm happy. Sorry."

Maria shrugged and started to walk away. James grabbed her arm and pulled her back. Pushing her against the wall, he kissed her lips fiercely. Maria struggled, but he just kissed her harder.

At that moment, Michael walked round the corner, to see what was holding Maria up. When he saw them kissing, he turned pale. He quickly turned and walked off. Maria pulled herself away from James.

"Wait! Michael! Michael please listen to me! It's not what you think!" she cried to Michael's retreating figure. He didn't stop. Maria spun around and slapped James.

"How could you do that? How could you kiss me? You jerk! I told you I didn't want to be with you!"

She turned and ran off. * * * Michael got home and slammed the door.

"How could she do that? How could she cheat on me?!" he yelled.

He picked the nearest item, a chair, and threw it at the wall.

"Why the hell didn't I suspect something? God I'm so dumb! What a bitch!"

*Crash!* that was the mug she'd given him.

*Bang!* another chair.

*Crash!* a plate.

*Bang!* and his fist went through the wall.

This went on for quite a while. He couldn't believe that Maria could cheat on him. He thought she'd loved him, just like he 'thought' he'd loved her. * * * "He has to know that I love him. I really do! James is such a jerk! If this messes up my relationship with Michael, I'm gonna kill him, I really am!"

Maria was writing it all down in her journal, tears streaming down her face. Earlier, she'd tried to keep them back, but she couldn't help it. They just kept coming. Maria jumped off her bed, and stormed around her room, crying, occasionally throwing a pillow against the wall, the whole time cursing James, and him kissing her.

An object caught Maria's eye, the telephone. The telephone! Maria took a few deep, calming breaths, wiped her eyes and cheeks free of all tears. She picked up the telephone and sat down on the bed.

Maria listened to it ring. Finally she heard the little click that meant that the answering phone was on. She waited for it to beep.

"Michael, please. I know you're there. Please pick up. You have to listen to.."

He picked up.

"I don't want to hear it it!" & slammed the phone down. Maria stared at the phone, and felt tears well in her eyes, then slide down her cheeks. * * * At the Crashdown, Liz was on her shift.

'God, I'm so tired, and my feet are aching!' she mentally complained. 'I need a break. Where the hell is Maria?'

Liz looked over at the girl at the counter.

"I'm gonna take a break. If you need me, I'll be out the back."

Liz walked out to the back, sat down, took her shoes off and gave them a rub. She looked over at the phone.

"That's what I'll do, call for reinforcements!" She walked over to the phone, and quickly dialled Maria's number. She finally picked up.

"Hello?" Maria sounded slightly tearful. "Hi, Maria. It's me, Liz." "Hey, what's up?" "Are you sick or something? 'Cause you missed your shift today." "Oh, shoot. I completely forgot. I'll be right there." "No don't worry about it. I've covered for you, said you were sick. I just wanted to check up on you. 'Kay? And Maria, I'm here if you need to talk, you know that?" "Yeah, thanks Liz." "Bye Maria." "Yeah, bye." Liz hung up. She quickly put her shoes back on, and went back to work. As she walked in, the bell of the door opening rang, and Liz saw Tess and Kyle walking in, hand in hand. Kyle saw her and smiled, so Liz smiled back. She followed them to a booth, where they sat down and she said-

"Hey guys. What'll it be?"

Kyle looked over at Tess who said immediately

"A Will-Smith Burger, Alien-shake and E.T. fries." "That sounds great. I'll have the same Liz." "All right, I'll bring it to you in 5. "Great." * * * The next week was blissfully happy for Kyle and Tess. They saw each other at school everyday, spent every afternoon and evening together, and everyone said it was a match mad in Heaven. Just like Liz and Max. And it seemed that another couple was in the making, Alex and Isabel.

"Hey Isabel." Alex walked up to her. "Alex, Hey."

Isabel turned away for second, to say goodbye to a friend, then turned back to him.

"How'ya been?" Alex asked her. " Great. But have you noticed anything weird about Michael and Maria?" "You mean anything weirder than norm don't you? They're already weird enough, especially Maria!" "Alex!" Iz protested, thumping him in the chest, "Be serious! I think something's wrong." "I'm sure it's nothing that they can't handle, they're always having little lovers tiffs! Besides we have our own relationship to worry about!" "Oh? And what relationship would that be?" "This one,"

Alex leaned over and kissed her. It was definitely better than their first kiss. Isabel pulled away, gasping for air. She was slightly shocked that anyone could make her feel this way, especially Alex! She smiled coyly at him.

"How about we take this to the eraser room?" "Okay." * * * But for another couple, it was a week of hell. Maria had been looking everwhere for Michael and she finally found him.She had him cornered in the art room.

"Please hear me out Michael. It's the least you can do!" Maria pleaded. "The least I can do?" Michael responded, sarcastically. "Michael..." exsapratly Maria searched for words. "Please?" "All right, but not here. Tonight, my place, anytime after 7. But if you're not there by, say, 9, then I'll know that you don't really mean any of this, and that you don't really want to talk. Alright?"

Michael replaced his stonewalls, & looked at Maria.

"I'll be there!" Maria said with determination.

That night, Maria prepared to go to Michael's.

"Lets see, I've done my hair and make-up, now all I have to do is find the right outfit and shoes.. As she said this, Maria was ticking each item off on her fingers.

"Maria, are you home?" Maria heard her mom call.

"Yeah mom, I'm in my room," she called back. She hurriedly put on a skirt and top and went into the kitchen. Amy was in the kitchen, waiting for her.

"Whoa. Where are you going in that outfit?" "I'm going over to Michael's, we need to talk some things over." "What time will you be home?"

Maria shrugged, "Late. I don't know."

"Okay, I'll probably be in bed when you come in then. Oh and before I forget, I'll be leaving pretty early tomorrow morning. About 5, I think, and I wont be in till really late, about 1 the next morning. So I probably wont see you over the next few days. Lets have dinner on Monday night though, so we can catch up, okay? How about we go to that new Chinese restaurant that's just opened up down the road?"

Maria looked at her mom.

"Okay. But why wont I see you till then?" "Work. I need to go pick up some things for the shop, and the place where I need to go is quite a way away. Plus I'll probably sleep in on Sunday." "What?! On a Saturday? But you usually get really great bisness on a Saturday!" "I know, but I figure I need a break from it." "Hey when did your date start?" Amy said, looking at her watch, not so subtly hinting. Maria held her hands up in mock surrender.

"All right, I'm going, I'm going." Maria grabbed her purse, kissed her mom on the cheek and ran out the door.

"Later, mom!" "Bye Honey," Amy said quietly, shaking her head. Her daughters bouncy and endless hyperactivity was beyond her. Sure she could talk really fast, just like Maria, but Amy wasn't that 'bouncy'! Maria took after her father in that respect. She also had her fathers determination. But she got her enthusiasm from her, Amy. And her independence. Amy sighed, then headed up the stairs to bed. * * * Michael was pacing the floor, wondering if he'd done the right thing by agreeing to see Maria.

"Of course you have, you idiot, you still love her! But what if she lies, what if she is dating that guy, that.. that cretin! I'll punch his lights out!" Michael swore.

He looked at the clock, it was almost 8.

"What if she doesn't turn up? Then what do I do? Well I guess if that happens then I have my answer. That she is dating that miscreant." * * * Maria raced down an alleyway, figuring she'd take a shortcut. Suddenly someone grabbed her from behind, shoving a cloth over her mouth and nose.

'So dizzy, everything's going...'

she thought, before she passed out.

Everything was dark and hazy when she finally came round.

"Where.... where am I?" she whispered, looking around. She was still confused, and felt disorientated. But she did realise that she was lying on the floor, and that there was someone else in the room with her. She looked around and all she could see was a dark figure, leaning against the door, and that he had the keys to the door in his hand. Maria gasped, startled.

"So, you've finally woken up," a voice said, piercing through the dark. It was too dark to see any features, and Maria didn't recognise the voice. She quickly stood, and back up quickly to the other side of the room, as far away as she could get from the figure. He walked over to her and punched her in the stomach. Maria doubled over in pain.

"You little bitch!" the voice said, as she tried to punch him back. "You're definitely a little spitfire. I like that in a woman."

He punched her again, on her arms, her stomach, her chest, and her face. Finally the punching stopped, and Maria looked up cautiously. She could just make out her it was.

"You!" she gasped.

He hit her in the head, and darkness fell around her.

Index | Part 2
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.