Fanfic - Michael/Maria
"You Can Take My Breath Away"
Part 14
by Shelbecat
Disclaimer: I don’t own anything – in fact I owe so much that someone probably owns me.
Summary: This was written in response to a challenge. If you want to try it please send your stories to Maria (jkbhjkbvhjbhj@yahoo.co.uk) and Sherry (shelbecat@hotmail.com).
Challenge:
1) MUST BE CC (M/M, M/L, A/I, K/T).
2) Maria, Liz, Isabel, and Tess are the aliens and are quadruplets. They are all like Isabel, ice queens, popular with ALL the boys and are all cheerleaders.
3) Michael, Max, Alex, and Kyle are all on the football team and are all very popular, they are humans and have been in love with the girls since 3rd grade.
4) Must include an on the run road trip and a capture by the FBI.
5) MUST END HAPPILY.
6) Maria and Isabel are closest as are Tess and Liz. Same with Max/Kyle and Alex/Michael. You decide how the guys found out, how they meet, and how long they are kept by the FBI.
And 1 final rule: IT CANT BE ALL SAD, MUST BE LARGELY FUNNY.

Category: Michael/Maria
Rating: PG-13
Author's Note: This fic is in response to a challenge by Maria (above). If it weren’t for her encouragement I probably wouldn’t write any of my fics down so… thanks. It’s technically a CC but I’m candy to the core so don’t expect much couple development outside of M/M. It’s my second fic and I adore feedback so please send some!
Maria knocked softly on the door adjoining the rooms and entered, carrying some pizza for Michael.

“Hey,” she said softly as she looked at him sitting near the window. “I thought you might be hungry.”

She walked over to lay the pizza on the table beside him and took a seat on the bed near him.

Michael played with the food a little but didn’t eat. Maria watched him for a few minutes before finally working up the nerve to speak again.

“I’m really sorry that I didn’t tell you sooner. It’s just that I didn’t know that I could without putting you in jeopardy and we’ve never told anyone before so I didn’t know what the right thing was and I really wanted to but I didn’t and I just didn’t…”

The words fell out of her mouth in a jumble.

Michael looked slightly amused but didn’t say anything.

Maria stopped herself with a small smile.

“Sorry.”

They sat in silence for a few more minutes.

“Michael…”

Michael looked at Maria but she didn’t meet his gaze.

“I’m really sorry for getting you into this in the first place. It wasn’t right of me to expect you to just understand all this stuff.” Maria felt hot tears forming behind her eyes and got up to leave the room. As she did, Michael stood up and grabbed her arm, stopping her.

“Please,” Maria said.

“Look, I’ve got something to say too, okay?”

He let her arm go but she didn’t turn around.

“I’m not mad that you didn’t tell me. I’m just a little overwhelmed right now, but it’s obvious that you don’t just go around telling this to everyone you meet.” Michael paused, trying to find the right words to express his feelings. “I just can’t figure you out. You’re so feisty one minute, and I love it, but then you’re so quiet and I think I’m doing something wrong. I’m just afraid to talk to you in case I say the wrong thing sometimes.”

Maria couldn’t believe that this was what Michael’s problem was. She was so sure he would be mad at her for keeping her identity a secret and yet here he was telling her he just didn’t understand her—but he wanted to.

She turned around to face him and lifted her hand to place it on his cheek. He started to pull his head back slightly but she stopped him with her gaze.

“Shh, just look into my eyes.”

Maria concentrated and let all her powers flow through her hand and make a connection with Michael. Emotions so powerful they almost knocked her down flew through her. She could feel Michael resisting at first, but then felt his barriers open up to her. She was not prepared for the feelings she felt from him. Intense fear and anger hit her, almost knocking her over.

So this was how Michael really felt. Maria was crushed, but at least she knew the truth.

She broke the connection and they both gasped for breath.

“What was that?” Michael asked.

“Look,” Maria replied, pointing to the mirror.

Michael stepped to look in the mirror and was stunned at his reflection. His healed face stared back at him with no sign of the injuries that had been there just seconds ago. He thoughtlessly rubbed his fingers over his cheek as he turned to Maria.

“What did you do?”

“I healed you,” she replied flatly, keeping her head down, eyes directed toward the floor.

“Oh,” he said as he felt his cheek.

“Your arm too.”

“Oh.” Michael just stood there for a moment looking at Maria. “Well I guess I should get cleaned up then. Change my shirt.”

Michael grabbed the shirt Kyle had bought for him and turned toward the bathroom. He paused before going inside.

“Thanks.”

“No problem.” All expression had gone out of Maria’s voice.

Michael closed the bathroom door behind him and leaned heavily against it. He thought about what had just happened. He had felt something when she touched him, like an electric shock but more powerful, steady. He was aware of strong emotions surrounding him like a cloud. Two had come through loud and clear—fear and anger.

“Well, at least I know how she really feels,” he muttered to himself. He had been willing to try and understand her but she was afraid of him. “Figures,” he mumbled as he started to change.

Back in the room Maria couldn’t believe what had just happened. She had opened herself up to him and he was afraid of her.

“Figures,” she mumbled as she climbed into one of the beds. She closed her eyes as tears began to course down her cheeks.

Part 13 | Index | Part 15
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.