FanFic - Michael/Maria
"Journey"
Part 1
by Kathryn C
Disclaimer: I don't own any of the characters, I'm just borrowing them.
Summary: Another chance to find out about the aliens past. Maria also finds a part of her past.
Category: Michael/Maria
Rating: PG-13
The Christmas lights on the houses lit up the street as Maria drove to Max and Isabel’s house. The lights in themselves seemed out of place with the absence of snow on the ground. Yet, year after year, people stuck them up in an attempt to look festive.

Maria sighed heavily. Another year, another nothing to look forward to. She would be spending Christmas Eve alone yet again while her mother worked. Liz would be with her family, Max and Isabel with theirs.

She thought back to how she had told Michael of her dream that her father would come and whisk her away in a limousine when she was a little child. Now, she knew it wasn’t going to happen because she was older and wiser, but there was nothing to hope for. She had to face the cold hard truth, she would be facing Christmas’s alone for quite awhile.

She pulled up in front of the Evans place, and parked her car. Basically, this evening was to discuss all that Liz and Max had found out at the Indian reservation. Liz had already told Maria all about it, and basically Maria thought there wasn’t much to discuss. It told them nothing useful. All in all, it would be just another excuse for Liz and Max to spend the evening making eyes at each other.

Ever since Max had been released from the hospital after the accident, Liz had almost never left his side. However, the two still refused to give in to their feelings for each other. Maria flashed back briefly to a couple of nights ago when Michael had kissed her. Intellectually, she knew that although her insides had melted, the kiss meant nothing to him. She hadn’t spoken to him alone since that night, but she didn’t need to know to that.

Maria walked up to the front door of the house and rang the doorbell. Isabel answered.

“Hello,” Maria said shortly.

Isabel just nodded and moved aside for Maria to come in. She was in a horrible mood. Maria stepped into the house, Liz was already there, sitting close to Max on the couch and smiling adoringly at him. Maria could see why Isabel was in such a bad mood.

“Hey guys,” she said, walking over and sitting down on the loveseat across from the big couch they were sitting in. Maria briefly considered shoving herself down between them just to be annoying, but decided against it.

“Hi Maria,” Liz said brightly, not looking over, “How’s it going?”

Maria shrugged, “Finals are done. What can I say, I’m thrilled.”

Isabel came over and flopped down in the big armchair. “I’m glad they’re finally done, too. I mean Christmas Eve is the day after tomorrow and I still have shopping to do. There are millions of gifts left to buy.”

Maria nodded understandingly, even though she had no idea how Isabel felt. She had already bought the few gifts she was going to give out.

“Where’s Michael?” Max asked.

Isabel shrugged, “Who knows, who cares. I’m sure he’ll show up eventually.”

With her words there was a knock on the door, and then Michael let himself in. “Hey,” he said gruffly, kicking off his shoes.

“I have news,” he said shortly, plopping down on the loveseat beside Maria.

“Do tell,” Is said dryly, reclining in her armchair.

Michael pulled a book from his pocket and held it out for everyone to see. “Chronicles of the Paranormal” was on the cover, as well as a symbol. It was the same design that was on the pendant Isabel had found at the dome.

“Where did you get that?” Max asked sharply, glancing up at Michael.

“The library,” Michael explained, pulling it back. “I also looked up on the guy who wrote this book. His name’s Adam Granger. And, in fact, he’s still alive. The guy lives in a city called Regina in Canada.”

“Does the book say anything interesting?” Liz asked.

Michael nodded, “Well, yeah. It doesn’t tell us anything, but the aliens he describes are nearly identical in powers and such to us.”

“My God,” Max breathed, running his hand through his hair and leaning back against the couch.

Michael leaned forward, “We’ve got to go find this guy. He could answer all our questions.”

Max looked pained, “Michael, we can’t just......”

Michael hopped to his feet, “Listen to me Max. We can, and we will. To hell with being overly careful. If we don’t go, the FBI or whoever they are will get there first. I want answers, and so do you. You are not the boss of me or anyone else here. I’m leaving tomorrow morning and I just came here to see who’s coming with me.”

“It’s a good idea,” Maria said quietly, “For all you know the sheriff might have already found him or something. You’ve got to beat him there. I know my opinion and input might not mean as much as Is’s or Max’s, but I’m in.”

“Me too,” Isabel said shortly, “But why don’t we wait until after Christmas?”

Michael shook his head, “I’m not waiting.”

Maria realized that, like her, Michael didn’t have much of a Christmas going for him either. Isabel just sighed and leaned back in her chair, “What are we going to tell Mom and Dad?”

Max shook his head, “We’re not going to..”

Liz interrupted him, “I’m in too Michael. But, we do need to come up with a story to tell our parents.”

Max sighed audibly, “It really doesn’t matter that I’m against this does it?”

Michael shook his head, “No Max, it doesn’t. We’re all going. Are you in?”

Max shrugged and sighed, “I guess I don’t really have a choice. So, team leader Michael, what do we tell our parents when they get home in a couple hours?”

Michael shrugged, “How should I know? I’m just telling my dad, ‘bye’ and taking off.”

Max shook his head, “Oh yeah, that will really pacify them. Not only are we taking off for an extended period of time, but it’s right over Christmas, and we just tell them ‘goodbye’?”

Maria sighed, “No Max, we tell our parents we are going on a ski trip for Christmas.”

Michael shrugged, “That’ll work too.”

“How are we going to get up there?” Liz asked, looking around, “I mean, it’s a really long drive.”

Isabel shrugged, “We can take the jeep and Maria and someone can go in her mom’s car.”

Maria burst out laughing, “Sorry Isabel, but you can’t take the jeep. It’s Christmas time, therefore winter. Places north of here do get snow in the winter. The jeep won’t be the ideal vehicle for keeping out the cold weather and snow.”

Isabel’s face turned a bright red. She didn’t say anything.

Maria looked around, “I guess we could try and fit us all in the car, but it would be a tight squeeze, especially with all our stuff.”

“Of course,” she added, “This is all provided my mom lets me take the car.”

Max shook his head, “We can’t do it like that. I’ll simply ask mom if we can take her car instead of the jeep.”

Liz shook her head, “I can’t believe we are actually doing this.”

*******************************************

Maria pulled up in front of the Evan’s the next morning bright and early. It was where they were all meeting. Her mom had been willing to let her take the car. In fact, she had been ecstatic Maria was going to have a nice Christmas with her friends once Maria told her she had enough money saved for the trip.

As Maria stepped out of the car, she saw Liz walking up. Liz carried a backpack filled with stuff, and a small suitcase. Over her arm she carried a big ski jacket.

“My mom has it from when they went skiing in Vermont,” Liz explained, holding up the jacket.

Maria nodded, “I have my mom’s old winter jacket too. Plus, I actually managed to find a lot of old sweaters and stuff in our basement.”

“Think the others took the weather into consideration when packing?” Liz asked, staring meaningfully up at Isabel’s bedroom window.

Maria laughed, “I hope so. We don’t want them catching pneumonia on the trip or something. Did you have any trouble with your parents and going?”

Liz shrugged, “A little. They are disappointed we won’t be spending Christmas together. Also, my dad was a little nervous that *boys* were going to be going too.”

Maria laughed, “Yeah, I’m actually surprised he let you come at all.”

Liz shrugged, “Mom and I had to twist his arm.”

She saw Michael walking up behind Maria and said, “Good morning Michael.”

Maria turned to find Michael walking up behind them. All he carried was a backpack.

“Do you have a jacket?” Maria asked.

Michael looked at her pointedly, “Yeah, it’s December yet 30 degrees Celsius and I was able to dig up a winter parka from my dad who’s never left this town.”

Maria sighed, “I have extra sweaters for everyone, but you’ll have to check with Max and Isabel to see if they have a jacket for you.”

Michael nodded. As if on cue, the siblings then came out of the front door. Max had a big duffel bag and carried a ski jacket, Isabel on the other hand carried a bag, 2 suitcases as well as her jacket.

They walked up to the waiting Maria Michael and Liz. “Enough stuff Isabel?” Michael asked, staring at all her luggage.

“Just shut up,” Isabel set dryly, dropping it all on the ground with a thump.

“Do you guys have an extra jacket Michael can take?” Maria asked Max, when Michael didn’t seem to be going to.

Max nodded, “Yeah, it’ll be in the garage. Surprisingly enough, my parents have gone skiing lots and got new jackets for every trip.”

While Michael went with Max to grab a jacket, Maria turned to Isabel and Liz. “Who’s riding with who?”

Liz shrugged, “Want to flip coins? You, of course, go in your car and Max can go in his. Michael, Isabel and I will flip to see who goes with who.”

Maria shrugged, “Whatever you want.”

Liz nodded and pulled a penny from her pocket. “Okay, heads I go with Max, tails I go with Maria.”

She tossed it up and let it fall to the ground. They all peered at it. “Heads,” Maria said dryly, unsurprised. Liz didn’t exactly look disappointed.

“Want to flip for Michael?” Liz asked, holding the penny out to Maria. Maria nodded and tossed the penny in the air.

“Head with Max, tails with me,” Maria said as it landed on the ground. She looked over at it. “Tails,” she said resignedly.

Isabel picked up the coin and stared at it for a moment, “Great,” she said sarcastically, “Heads I get to listen to those two lovebirds, tails I get to listen to the other pair with them switching between fighting and flirting. Such a great choice.”

She tossed it up in the air, and then stared at the fallen coin. “Tails,” she said sadly, staring at the coin.

Maria shrugged, ‘This isn’t exactly going to be a picnic for me either,” she told Isabel.

Liz, however, was making no such comments. She of course got to be alone in a car with Max for days. The two boys walked back up.

“We figured out the car arrangements,” Isabel said gloomily.

“I go with you in your mom’s car and Isabel and Michael go with Maria in hers,” Liz said cheerfully to Max.

“Oh goody,” Michael said mockingly, “I get to spend hours upon hours in a car with 2 girls yakking.”

“Michael,” Maria said in a sweet voice while punching him on the shoulder, “I thought we already covered the fact that is an offensive remark.”

“It’s going to be a long trip,” Isabel groaned.

*******************************

They had been driving for an hour when Michael determined that he needed to go to the washroom.

“Already?” Isabel asked disbelievingly from her spot in the back seat.

Michael nodded, “It must be that huge slurpee I had for breakfast.”

Maria glanced over sharply at him, “Why didn’t you go before we left?”

“Well mother,” Michael said mockingly, “I didn’t have to go then, I do now.”

Maria gave a frustrated sigh and pulled into the rest stop that was alongside the road. “Be quick,” she said menacingly to Michael, leaning back against her seat.

Max and Liz who had been following them pulled up beside the car. “What’s going on?” Liz asked over the engine after they rolled down their windows.

“Michael had to take a whiz,” Maria said mockingly, waving towards the restrooms. She shut off the engine so she could hear Liz better.

“Hey, where are we planning on stopping for the night?” Maria asked the two in the next car.

“Let’s just keep driving all night tonight,” Max replied, “We want to get there as fast as possible. We can take turns driving and sleeping.”

Maria shrugged, “Fine, if that’s what we have to do. But, tomorrow night we stop, even if it is in some little town.”

“Deal,” Liz said back from the other car.

When Maria spotted Michael returning. She waved goodbye to Liz and rolled her window back up.

He slid back into the car and reopened the map he was in charge of reading. “Let’s go.”

Maria didn’t say anything, just restarted the car and drove off.

**********************************

Night approached slowly. Maria felt like she had been driving for years when the first star appeared in the sky. Isabel had fallen fast asleep in the back seat. Michael himself had been mercifully silent for the past 100 miles.

“When we get to the next town,” Maria yawned to Michael, “I’m going to pull over so you can drive and I can sleep.”

“You’re actually letting me drive and risk your mother’s car and therefore your whole relationship with her?” Michael asked mockingly.

Maria gave him a scathing look, “I don’t want to, but I don’t have a lot of choice. I can’t make it all night, and Isabel is conked out in the backseat. Just give me 3 hours of uninterrupted sleep, and I can drive again.”

“Hey, you can have as long as you need,” Michael said defensively, “I’m not tired at all.”

“It must have been the 2 cups of coffee you had at the last stop we made.” Maria said sarcastically.

Michael nodded, “Yeah, but something was missing. Normally, I love coffee but that stuff just didn’t cut it.”

“No Tabasco sauce to add?” Maria said as she pulled into the parking lot of the gas station in the town they just pulled into.

She got out of the car and stretched as Michael did the same on the other side. She walked over to the passenger’s side, and he to the drivers and they both got in. Liz noticed Max and Liz doing the same thing across the parking lot.

Before Maria could open her mouth as she buckled up her seatbelt, Michael said, “Now, don’t bother saying anything. I’ll drive carefully, I’ll drive slowly and your mother’s car will stay in one piece.”

“I wasn’t going to say a word,” Maria said haughtily as Michael started to drive.

“You? Not say a word?” Michael said sarcastically, “that’ll be the day.”

Maria gave him a deathly look, “Watch it Michael, or I’ll....I’ll....., well I don’t know what I’ll do but it will be painful for you. I am perfectly capable of being quiet.”

“Really?” Michael said, “I don’t think you’ve gone for 10 minutes of silence yet. I mean before even when I wasn’t saying anything you were still blathering away.”

Maria was tempted to smack him, but didn’t want him to run the car off the road, “I’m going to sleep now Michael, so if you would be so kind as to just shut up.”

Michael sneaked a glance at her a few minutes later. Sure enough, she was fast asleep with her head leaning against the pillow on the window. He stared at her sleeping form and smiled as he imagined how ticked off she’s be if he hit the brakes and woke her up.

Since he didn’t have to worry about her catching him, Michael allowed himself to stare at her closely as she slept. As much as he hated to admit he, he liked Maria. A lot. He had felt this way about her ever since their trip to the dome. He had told her things he had never even mentioned to Isabel or Max, they didn’t even know he had read Ulysses. When he had kissed her that day at the Crashdown, he had been scared she would deck him. Now, all he wanted to do was to kiss her again, and again, and again. He told himself sharply he had to stop thinking this way, but his thoughts kept drifting back to her soft lips.

Michael shook his head, trying to clear them of thoughts of Maria, and went back to concentrating on the road.

He then glanced back over at her. He wondered if she was dreaming. Michael then shook his head mentally. He couldn’t enter her dream. He would have to pull over and then Max and Liz would as well and would want to know what was going on.

He glanced wistfully over at Maria. It sure would be nice to know what she dreamed about.

********************************

Maria awoke to the sound of voices singing Christmas carols. The radio was on and they were playing the rendition of Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer. Michael was singing along enthusiastically.

“What time is it?” she asked groggily, rubbing the crink in her neck.

“8 AM,” Michael said glancing sideways, cutting off his singing, “You’ve been asleep for 10 hours.”

“I can’t believe I slept that long in a car,” Maria mumbled.

Michael motioned his head towards the back, “Hey Is was asleep longer, and even now my beautiful singing hasn’t woken her up.”

Maria glanced back at Isabel, still sound asleep, then put her hand on Michael’s arm, “You must be exhausted.”

Michael ignored the tingling sensations where her hand was on his arm and replied, ‘No, I’m not exhausted. Maybe a little tired, but I’m fine.”

Maria saw a town approaching fast in the distance, “Stop in at the gas station,” she said to Michael. “I can wash up and make use of the facilities and then switch places with you.”

Michael nodded, “Sure, besides, it’ll give me a chance to grab some food, I’m starved.”

He pulled into the Esso station. The car carrying Liz and Max pulled in beside them. Maria got out of the car. She cold barely stand without grabbing the side of the car for support. Her legs were so stiff. She reached back and opened the back door.

“Rise and shine Isabel,” she said and shook her shoulder.

Isabel just mumbled something incoherent in her sleep and did not wake up.

“Get up sleepyhead!” Maria screeched and shook Isabel’s shoulder hard.

“Who..waa....Maria!” Isabel said as she tried to rub the sleep from her eyes.

“It’s time to get up,” Maria said cheerfully. “It’s a beautiful morning and this will be our last stop for who knows how long. So, it’s our chance to wash up and everything.”

Liz walked up behind them, “Everything going okay?” she asked Maria.

Maria nodded, “Yeah, it’s all fine. How was your night?”

Liz shrugged, “Lonely. Max fell asleep and didn’t wake up until an hour ago.”

Maria nodded. “Uh huh. I just woke up myself, and so has Isabel. Now, I’m going to the washroom and then I’m filling the car up with gas, so you convince her to wake up.”

Maria grabbed her purse from the front seat and left Liz and Isabel together. She walked into the restroom at the side of the station. She stood in front of the mirror in the washroom.

She looked frightfully awful. Her hair was a mess. Maria pulled out her brush and tried to run it through the strands of hair and make herself look halfway presentable. As she looked at her reflection in the mirror, she also pulled out her makeup and applied it. She told herself she was not trying to look good for Michael Guerin, this was for herself.

Maria walked out of the restroom. She saw Michael leaning against the car. He had already inserted the thing, so the car was filling up with gas. In his hand he held an ice cream bar covered with hot sauce. Maria just grimaced and went into the station to pay for the gas.

When she came out Max and Liz were standing there talking to Michael. Isabel was nowhere to be found. Maria walked up to them. “We ready to go?”

Michael shrugged, “Yeah, as soon as Isabel gets back. She just went to the washroom as you insisted.”

“How far do you think we’ll get today?” Liz asked Maria.

She shrugged, “If we keep making the same time as we are, we should reach the border by about 11. I figure we stop there for the night and then cross over tomorrow.”

Max nodded. They had been over this last night. The upside of telling their parents that they were actually going to Canada was that their parents could write the necessary letter for the border crossing because they were all under 18.

“Are you guys getting along allright,” Liz asked Maria quietly as Michael was getting in the car and Isabel was walking up to them.

Maria shrugged, “Well enough. Let me tell you though, you got the better end of the deal.”

Liz smiled, “Come on Maria, you know you’re happy to be stuck with Michael.”

Maria shrugged but didn’t deny it, “Princess Issy though isn’t being as bad as I thought she might, however, I’d rather have you riding with me.”

“Well no deal,” Liz said cheerfully, “I rather like the riding arrangements.”

Maria laughed and said to Liz, “No surprise there. How’s it going between you two? Shall I count you out as a room mate for tonight at the hotel.”

Liz began blushing, “Maria!”

Maria just laughed as Isabel walked up. “We going?” Isabel asked shortly.

Maria nodded, “Yeah, we’re leaving. Bye Liz, see you at the next stop.”

Liz waved goodbye and walked over to the Evan’s car where Max had already gotten in. Maria walked around to the drivers side of her car and slid in. She buckled up and pulled out of the gas station.

“I can’t believe this,” Isabel grumbled from the backseat, “It’s Christmas Eve today and I’m driving in a car with you two.”

Michael said nothing, he just leaned over and switched on the radio again. The strains of Silent Night filled the air and he leaned back against his seat. The weather outside had already begun to cool down and Maria had to turn on the heater in lieu of the normal air conditioning.

She said nothing to Isabel, but she was happy this journey was taking place over Christmas. It beat sitting at home by herself, singing Christmas carols to herself, watching Christmas specials, by herself. At least with this she was with people.

“Think of it this was Isabel,” she said cheerfully to the sullen girl in the backseat, “At least we’ll be able to have a white Christmas.” she mentioned this as they reached the first area where snowflakes actually fell.

******************************************

At the next rest stop they had to put on their winter parkas to get out of the car. As well, they had to wear sweaters when they got back in the car. This was completely unlike Christmas back in Roswell.

Michael had fallen asleep in the seat beside her despite his protests that he was completely wide awake. Maria stared over at him. In sleep he had a vulnerable expression that was never present while he was awake. A tuft of hair fell over his face. Maria longed to reach out and brush it back, but Isabel was in the back seat, this time wide awake.

She watched him though. Well, as much as she could without running the car off the road. Could he have actually forgotten what had happened between them. In the car when they went to Texas, and then when he kissed her in the Crashdown? She couldn’t believe that the kiss meant that little to him. It meant a lot to her. Even though she didn’t express anything at the time.

“Could you please watch the road instead of Michael,” Isabel said sharply from the back as the car began to drift into the next lane.

Maria turned her head back to the road, embarrassed.

**********************************************

It was nearly midnight when they pulled into the city about half an hour from the border. Maria looked for a hotel to stop at for the night. They couldn’t afford a pricey one, but she refused to stay in a rat infested motel.

“How about that one?” Michael said, pointing towards the travelodge along the side of the road. Maria took stock of it. It looked reasonably clean and well kept. She pulled in with Max and Liz following.

Maria slipped on her jacket and stepped out of the car. “How many rooms should we get?” she asked Liz who stepped out of the car.

Liz shrugged, “3? 2 people in 2 rooms and one person gets their own room.”

Max came around to the two of them, “I’ll go book us 3 rooms.” he said and went to the front door.

Michael and Isabel came to stand beside them. “Who’s rooming with who?” Isabel asked.

Liz shrugged, “Well Max and Michael can share a room. As for the 3 of us, two of us will have to share.”

“Well Isabel, want your own room?” Maria asked.

Isabel looked embarrassed, “Normally yeah. But you see, I have this phobia about being alone in hotels.”

Maria laughed, “You? I never would of guessed. Well Liz, which of us lucky people gets to be with her.”

Isabel shrugged, “Want to room with me Liz? I’ve been in a car with her for about 36 hours straight.”

“You don’t mind Maria?” Liz asked, turning to her.

Maria shook her head, “Nah, not at all.”

Max came back with the room keys. “We have 3 rooms on the third floor.”

Maria grabbed one of the keys, “Well, let’s get inside. We’ll have to start early again tomorrow.”

She grabbed her backpack and suitcase from the trunk. She took out Isabel’s luggage as well as Michael’s and set them in the snow. Maria locked the doors to the car after making sure everything had been taken out.

“Well,” she said to the assembled group, “Let’s go inside.”

****************************

Maria opened the door to her hotel room and flipped on the light. The newly illuminated room looked reasonably clean. It had a single bed as well as a couch. Maria tossed her suitcase on the couch and flopped down on the bed. She grabbed the television remote and flipped it on.

The Charlie Brown Christmas special was on. As she watched Charlie Brown pick out a Christmas tree, tears sprang to her eyes. She should have insisted on rooming with Liz and Isabel be damned. She felt so alone. Even though it was Christmas Eve which she would have been alone on anyway, she still felt so isolated from everyone else.

Maria wiped the tears away furiously, refusing to cry. She was strong, she was used to being alone. And, besides, it didn’t really matter. It didn’t.

There was a knock on her door and Maria dried her eyes, hoping they weren’t all red and puffy. She walked over to the door and opened it. Michael stood there, hands in his pockets.

“Can I come in?” he asked Maria, who nodded and moved aside so that he could enter.

“Liz is in our room giving Max a Christmas present,” Michael said by way of explanation, “I wanted to get out of there. Mind if I stick around awhile?”

Maria shrugged, “Suit yourself.” she refused to show how happy she was that he was here.

Michael motioned to the TV, “You think they would make a new Christmas special for Charlie Brown after all these years.”

Maria shrugged, “I still watch this one every year.”

Michael nodded, “Me too.”

The gaze they shared was broken as Maria cleared her throat and reached into her bag. “I have something for you.” she said, pulling a wrapped present out of her bag, “I wasn’t sure whether I was going to actually give it to you or not, but well, here. Merry Christmas Michael.”

Michael took it from her outstretched hands. He ripped off the carefully wrapped paper and held the gift in his hands. It was a beautiful bound copy of Ulysses.

“I didn’t know if you had a good copy or not,” Maria said nervously, “But I saw this and it looked so nice I had to get it for you.”

“It’s amazing,” Michael said, his throat constricting. He couldn’t believe that she had done this for him. It was incredibly thoughtful.

“Do you like it?” Maria asked hesitantly.

Michael nodded, “Maria....I....thank you.”

Maria shook her head, “It’s not much, but you’re welcome.”

Michael took something from his pocket. He tossed it in his hand. “I actually wasn’t sure whether I was actually going to give this to you either. “

He tossed the box to her. Maria grabbed it before it fell to the ground and opened it. Inside the box lay a delicate necklace. It was a shimmery silver.

“Michael, it’s beautiful,” Maria breathed, lifting it out of the box. “Thank you so much.”

Michael ducked his head, “It was nothing.”

She held it out to him, “Will you fasten it for me?”

Michael grabbed the necklace from her outstretched hand. Maria turned around. He looped the necklace around her neck and fastened it carefully at the back. Her hair smelled like strawberries was what he realized as he caught a whiff of her scent.

“Maria,” he said quietly, his mouth near her ear, “Before that day at the Crashdown, I’d never kissed anyone before.”

Maria turned around slowly. They were so incredibly close to one another, but not touching. Not yet. “So I asked you to be a ‘guy’ and the first thought that came to mind was to kiss me?” she asked with a crooked smile.

Michael shook his head, “Actually that thought had been in my mind for awhile.”

“Michael,” Maria said breathlessly, “What are you trying to say?”

Michael reached up and touched her face with his hand, “Maria, I know we fight and everything, but that means nothing when I’m with you like this. I’m not the most eloquent speaker, but, well, I like you. A lot. Things have been happening between us, things I thought would never happen. You haven’t known me well for very long, and already you know a lot more about me than most people.”

Maria felt herself getting all choked up. “You really feel that way? About *me*?”

Michael shrugged, “Yeah, I do. You, well we’re more alike than I ever thought possible. Maria, you drive out all the loneliness in me when I’m with you. With you, I feel like I belong.”

Maria smiled gently, “For someone who isn’t a very eloquent speaker, you’re doing a damn good job. And for the record Michael, I like you too. A lot.”

Michael smiled and cupped the back of her head with his hands. He lowered his face to hers for a kiss. Their kiss turned hungry as they lost themselves in one another. They were together now, and would not have to be alone. Soon, their passionate kisses subsided and they just held each other. Michael’s head was buried in Maria’s neck.

“You know Michael,” Maria said softly, stroking his hair, “For someone who’s never kissed a girl before, you’re pretty damn good at it.”

Michael just laughed quietly and held her tightly to him.

*****************************************************

Michael awoke in the middle of the night with a severe krink in his neck. He looked around and tried to figure out where exactly he was. He felt someone move against him and he looked down to find Maria curled into his side. They were on the couch in her room. They had sat cuddled together, talking. Eventually, they must have fallen asleep.

He flashed back to events the night before. Michael was incredibly glad he had been brave to come here last night instead of going to talk to Isabel. He still couldn’t believe he was attracted to Maria of all people, but he wasn’t going to complain.

Michael stroked the cheek of the sleeping Maria gently. She didn’t wake, but stirred in her sleep and burrowed closer into his chest. Michael sighed, he knew he should go back to his own room. Max would probably notice he wasn’t there when he got up in the morning. However, Michael didn’t really want to leave and he couldn’t think of a way to disentangle himself without waking Maria.

As he examined her sleeping face, he noticed she had a contented smile on her face. He wondered what she was dreaming exactly. That of course led him to thoughts that it might be about him.

Michael decided to enter her dream. He had never actually done this before, but how hard could it be. He didn’t know what to do exactly. Michael simply shut his eyes and willed himself into her dream.

***********

The first thing Michael saw was Maria, standing in the Crashdown cafe in her work uniform. He was standing behind the counter, and as he looked down at himself, he was wearing a tuxedo.

“So, this is what you dream of,” he remarked to Maria who was standing there.

“Michael?” Maria said, “What do you mean? This is a dream?”

Michael nodded, “Yeah. If you think real hard, you’ll remember the two of us are in your motel room in a city just before the Canadian border. This is your dream.”

“Then what are you doing here?” Maria asked, “If it’s my dream.”

Then the realization hit her, “You’ve entered my dream, just like Isabel did that one time. Oh God, at least you didn’t enter in on my dream in the car last night.”

Michael refrained from telling her that he had wanted to, “So, why am I in a tuxedo? Have you had this dream before?”

Maria blushed and averted her eyes, “Yeah, but you weren’t real then. Why don’t you just leave so I don’t get too embarrassed here.”

Michael smiled and shrugged, “Maria, it’s still your dream. Have your way with me and I promise I will try not to remember in the morning.”

Maria hit him on the shoulder, “Michael!”

Michael grabbed her hand, “Come on, I’m serious. Consider it our first date, except we can do anything, anywhere you want.”

“You know,” Maria said, eyeing him up, “I never really pictured you as a ‘date’ type guy. I always thought maybe more the ‘love-em and leave’em’ type. However, I’m not complaining.”

“So is that a yes?” Michael asked.

Maria sighed, “Sure. This will be embarrassing though. Why couldn’t you have chosen a night when I wasn’t having a dream involving you.”

Michael laughed, “So Maria, what usually happens next in this dream?”

As if on cue, music cut in the background. It was a soft piece of classical music. Slow-dancing music. Maria mumbled something in answer to his question which he could not hear.

“What was that?” Michael asked.

“I said, ‘we dance’,” Maria said frustratedly, embarrassed as anything that this was happening.

Michael grinned and held out his hand to her. “May I have this dance?”

Maria nodded reluctantly and placed her hand in his. Michael grabbed her close and began twirling around the empty space where the tables were supposed to be. He held her extremely close to his body as he danced.

“I didn’t know you could dance,” Maria said as they moved to the music.

“Despite what I said,” Michael said softly in her ear, “There is still a lot you don’t know about me. I’m a complex guy.”

His voice sent shivers down Maria’s spine. Dream or no dream, this was incredibly realistic. “I can see that,” she whispered back, looking up at him.

All of a sudden the music became quieter and the lights dimmed. Candles magically appeared along the countertop. Michael had the urge to laugh, but didn’t want to spoil the mood. Besides, he would only get hit for his troubles.

Slowly, he lowered his head to hers. The kisses were as light as air and Maria hungered for more. She put her hands on the side of his head and drew his head closer to her.

They broke apart what seemed like years later. Michael looked down into Maria’s upturned face, “Now what?” he asked, his mouth turning up at the corners.

Maria turned away, “Michael this is ridiculous. I’m not telling you. Any minute now I’m going to wake up and this will be all over.”

Michael shook his head, “If you’re not going to tell me, I’ll make it up myself.”

Maria shrugged, “Fine, you do that. Me, I’m going to concentrate on waking up. Maybe, if I think about it really hard....”

Michael watched as she squeezed her eyes shut and proceeded to pinch herself. When she re-opened her eyes and saw him standing there, she got a crestfallen look. Michael laughed as she closed her eyes again, and then opened one to see if he was still there.

As Maria proceeded to continue trying to make herself wake up, Michael happened to glance out of the cafe window into the street. A limousine was parked in front.

“For us?” he asked Maria, raising his eyebrows.

Maria opened her eyes and sighed, “No Michael, it’s not.”

Michael looked back at it, “So you’re telling me this limousine appears in your dream and it’s not for us.”

“Yes Michael,” Maria snapped, “That’s exactly what I’m telling you. It’s just part of the scenery.”

Michael shook his head and grabbed her hand, “Let’s go see if anyone is in it.”

“Michael, for God’s sake,” Maria groaned as he dragged her out of the Crashdown, “Just stop it. This whole thing with you being in my dream is ridiculous. I want you to leave on your own right now since I can’t seem to make myself wake up.”

Michael shook his head, “I don’t know how to pull myself out, and besides, I don’t want to. Now come on and relax, try and have some fun.”

Maria sighed as Michael dragged her to the limousine parked on the curb. As they approached, a man in a chauffeurs uniform hopped out of the drivers side and came around to the sidewalk. He opened the door to the back of the limo for them, “Here you go sir,” he said to Michael.

Michael just shrugged and climbed into the back of the limo, pulling Maria in with him. He crawled over to the window seat. The chauffeur closed the door behind them and walked around to the drivers side. He got in and rolled down the window separating the 2 halves of the car. “Home sir?” he asked Michael.

Michael nodded, “What the hell, let’s go ‘home’.” he turned to the sullen Maria beside him, “So Maria, where is home in this dream.”

She sighed and closed her eyes, leaning back against the seat, “I don’t know Michael. The dream usually ends right now and I wake up. Oh, and by the way, I like my usual dream ‘you’ better. He listens to me and well, acts a lot nicer than you.”

Michael leaned over to her. Maria, since her eyes were closed was startled when she heard him say right by her face, “But can dream Michael do this?”

He leaned in and kissed her, hard. Michael wrapped his arms around her as his lips met hers. Maria forgot all else, and threw her arms around his neck and returned his kiss wholeheartedly. Michael leaned her down on the long seat of the limousine. He dragged his mouth away from hers and trailed kisses down her neck. Maria shivered and pulled his mouth back to hers. Michael put his hand on her stomach and began to move it up.

“Michael,” he heard a voice call out. The window in the limo had been rolled down and the chauffeur was talking to him, except this time it was Max, “Michael!”

“Michael,” the voice said and a hand shook his shoulder, “For God’s sake, wake up. It’s 7 already and we have to go.”

With that all traces of the great dream began to fade from his mind. He looked up to find himself staring at the face of Max. He felt Maria stir against his chest and realized she too was now awake.

“What are you doing in here Max?” Michael yawned, wincing as Maria pushed herself off of him and accidentally jabbed him in the ribs.

“We have to start driving again,” Max said. He watched Maria stand up, looking embarrassed, “But, I suppose I should ask you what you are doing here too.”

Michael shot him a murderous glance, “Actually Max, it’s none of your damn business. But, if you must know, I came here to talk to Maria when you and Liz were hanging over each other in our room. We obviously fell asleep in each others arms.”

Max tossed his arms up in the air “Listen, whatever you want. I just came to tell you we’re moving out in half an hour.”

Max stood up and walked quickly out of the hotel room. Michael glanced over at Maria who was fishing through her bag. She pulled out her makeup kit and a clean outfit. “I’m going to take a shower,” she said, and walked into the bathroom before he could say anything.

Michael watched her go in. He hoped she didn’t regret the things they had said last night, or the things they did in her dream. In fact, when he thought about that dream, the more laden with significance it was. The whole part with him taking her home in a limo. Michael remembered their conversation that night in the motel on the way to Texas. She had told him about her old fantasy of her dad sweeping her off in a limo away from Roswell New Mexico. How much of a coincidence was it that that was the theme of her dream now?

Maria stood in the shower stall. The water was coursing over her body, but she wasn’t washing. The stood with one hand bracing her on the shower wall, the other on her stomach. The same place Michael’s hand had been only minutes before in her dream. The funny thing was, she hadn’t wanted it to stop. Quite the contrary. Maria knew the consequences of what she wanted, but in her head right now, they didn’t seem to matter so much. Maria sighed and grabbed the soap from the shelf.

When she came out of the washroom later, Michael was nowhere to be found. She didn’t know why she was feeling sad over it. He had gone back to his own room to get his stuff, and besides they were all leaving soon. Maria fingered the necklace around her neck he had given her last night. All the things he had said, were they real. They didn’t seem like Michael. Maybe that part of last night had been the real dream.

Maria sighed and tossed her stuff in her duffel bag. She zipped it up and checked to make sure she hadn’t forgotten anything. She grabbed the bag, put on her jacket and mitts and grabbed her room key.

Walking down the hallway, she saw that the door to Liz’s and Isabel’s room was open. She stuck her head in to see Liz helping Isabel stuff mountains of stuff back into one of her suitcases. “You guys almost ready to go?” Maria asked the two of them.

“We’ll be ready in a minute Maria,” Liz assured her as she sat on the suitcase for Isabel to close it. Maria just shook her head and left, closing the door behind her.

Max and Michael were standing in the middle of the hallway when Maria came out, locking the door to their room. Max looked up, “Have you checked out yet Maria?” Max asked as he pocketed his key.

Maria shook her head, “I was just going down to do that.”

Max held out his hand, “Here, let me. I might as well, I’m going anyway.” Maria handed him her room key and the cash she was going to use for the payment and he took of down the hall.

Michael motioned towards Maria’s huge duffel bag. “Need any help with that?” he asked.

Maria shook her head, “No Michael, I’m fine.”

He just nodded and followed her down the hall. When they exited the hotel, it was snowing again. Small white flakes floated down from the sky above. Maria stuck out her tongue, letting them melt on her tongue. She then hoisted her duffel bag into the trunk of her car, and tossed Michael’s bag in as well. She slammed the trunk shut.

“You know,” Michael said looking up at the sky, “I’ve never actually seen real snow before.”

“You’re kidding,” Maria said, “Granted, I’ve only seen it when my mom and I went on a trip north once, but still.”

Michael shook his head, “Nope. The closest thing to it was the stuff in the freezer.”

“Well then,” Maria said, calmly scooping up some of the snow that had fallen on the car, “We’ll have to make sure you get well acquainted with it.”

With that she flung the snowball at him. It hit Michael on the face before he could react. Maria laughed at his astonished, and bedraggled, expression. “If you could just see the look on your face,” she giggled.

Michael shook the snow from his head, “Oh, you’re going to pay.”

For the next few minutes, they flung hunks of snow at each other. Michael finally caught her and pressed a handful of snow into her hair. “Eek!” Maria shrieked as the snow slid down her neck, “That’s cold!”

Michael laughed, “Now if you could see your expression..”

Maria shoved him backwards and he fell over onto the ground. Unfortunately, he didn’t release her, and they fell together. Michael ended up on his back on the ground, Maria face down on top of him.

Maria’s faces was inches from his when she said, quite nervously, “Michael, all the stuff I said last night. I meant every word of it.”

“I did too,” Michael said simply. He reached up to pull her face down for a kiss, but Maria began to scramble to her feet. “Hello Liz, Isabel,” she said brightly as Michael got to his feet behind her.

Liz simply gave Maria a knowing smile, but Isabel glared at Maria, then at Michael. “I need to put my stuff in your car,” she said.

Maria nodded and unlocked the trunk, Isabel squeezed her stuff in and Maria shut it. “Is everyone ready to go?” Maria asked nervously.

“We are now,” Max said, coming up. “I figure we’ll get there about, oh I don’t know 6 o’clock. So, since we are following you guys Maria, pull in somewhere and we’ll all decide what to do next.”

Maria nodded and Max and Liz went of to get in his car. Maria slid into the drivers seat of her car. Michael took the front again, and Isabel the back.

They pulled out of the parking lot and were on their way for another long day of driving.

**********************************

It was 3 gas stops later when Isabel said, “You know, you two could at least pretend you’re not infatuated with each other.”

“What are you talking about Isabel,” Michael said, leaning his head against the window.

“What I mean,” Isabel said icily, “Is that the two of you spent all of last night, together, alone. You’re constantly flirting, and now you can’t seem to keep your eyes of each other. You’re becoming worse then my brother and Liz. Now, if you don’t mind some of us would like to keep down our lunches.”

“Isabel,” Maria said sweetly, “Shut up. Maybe because you’re not in a relationship you may be jealous, but try to control it.”

If looks could kill Maria would have dropped then and there, “Jealous? Of you and Michael? Ha! Don’t make me laugh. I will admit though, you two are perfect for each other.”

“Well thank you,” Maria said calmly, turning around to smile at her, “It’s nice to know you think we make such a good match.”

Isabel just shook her head and leaned back into the seat. Michael turned his head to look at Maria, “You do know she wasn’t paying a compliment.”

“Do I look that stupid?” Maria scoffed.

“Well, actually....” Isabel began from the back seat.

Maria shook her head in disgust and went back to concentrating on the road, and Michael.

******************************

The lights of the city of Regina came into view. “Wake up,” Maria said, shaking the sleeping Michael’s leg, “We’re here.”

He sat up and looked at the approaching city. Isabel did the same in the backseat.

When they entered the city, Maria pulled into the parking lot of the McDonalds. Liz and Max followed them in.

While the rest of them found a booth, Max went to order hot chocolate for everyone. Michael slid in on one side and Maria followed him. Liz slid in the other side, but Isabel squished herself in beside Maria. Max came up carrying the tray of hot chocolates, and slid in beside Liz.

“So, what are we going to do now?” Isabel asked, taking a sip of her drink.

Max pulled out a piece of paper he had written on and tossed it on the table, “I copied his address from the telephone book. So, we know where to find him.”

“I say we go to his house and talk to him,” Michael said, “Let’s find out what he knows and get this over with.”

Nobody said anything, there was no better plan suggested. “Well then,” Michael said to break the silence, “Let’s go.”

Everyone nodded and walked out into the cold night. The drive to Adam Granger’s house was silent. Maria’s future wasn’t even depending on what this guys had to say, like their’s, but she was still nervous. They found the house within an hour and pulled up in front of the house.

It was a standard middle-class house in a normal neighborhood. There was no picket-fence, but it seemed like a house that might have one. They could see the Christmas tree in the window, nicely decorated.

“Ready to go up?” Maria asked Michael and Isabel who sat staring at the house.

Michael nodded, and the 3 of them got out of the car. Max and Liz were walking up to them. “We still sure we want to do this?” Max asked, glancing at the house nervously.

They all nodded in agreement. “Well then,” Max said resignedly, “Let’s go up.”

They walked of to the front of the house, Michael leading the way. Max and Isabel were right behind them. Michael walked up the steps to the front door. He braced himself, and muttered, “There’s no time like the present,” and knocked on the door.

A man about 35 years old opened the door. “Can I help you?” he said to the 3 teenagers.

“Adam Granger?” Michael asked the man standing at the front door.

The man turned a deathly pale. “You 3,” he whispered in wonder, “”How did you find me?”

“We found the book you wrote,” Isabel said, “But exactly who are you and how do you know us.”

The man took off his glasses and wiped them in his T-shirt, “Now’s not a good time. My family and I are celebrating Christmas.”

With his words, a little boy ran up and grabbed onto his fathers pant leg, “Who are these people Daddy?” he asked, sucking on his thumb.

“They are old friends of daddy’s,” his father said evasively.

“Whose at the door, honey?” a female voice called from inside the house.

“Nobody dear,” Adam Granger called back. He leaned towards the five of them. “Meet me tomorrow at noon at the library on main street. I’ll talk to you then, but right now, it’s just impossible.”

He shut the door in their faces before they could say a word. The 5 of them just stood there in shock, “Well, at least he seems to know what’s going on,” Michael said mildly. He turned around and began to walk back to the cars.

The others followed. “So now what?” Max asked, leaning against the car, “It’s a long time until we have to meet him.”

Isabel sighed, “We find a hotel to crash in for the night, then go to meet him at noon. What else can we do?”

Liz shrugged, “Sounds good to me. There was a nice motel on our way into the city. Why don’t we go back there?”

******************************************

Maria tossed her bags on the bed in her hotel room. Again, she got a room to herself. She flopped herself down on the bed beside her bags and stared up at the ceiling. A knock sounded on the door. “Come in,” Maria yelled, “It’s not locked.”

The door opened and Liz walked in. “I was afraid I might be interrupting you and Michael,” she kidded as she flopped on the bed beside Maria.

Maria groaned, “Not you too........”

Liz held up a hand, “Hey, I’m not judging or anything. What you and Michael do is your business. I do just hope you know what you’re doing.”

Maria sighed, “Liz, we are not sleeping together. Last night we just fell asleep together on the couch. That’s not to say there isn’t something going on between us, it’s just not sex right now.”

Liz looked relieved, “Sorry Maria. From what Isabel told me, I assumed that, well, you know.”

“So,” Maria said sitting up, “Michael came here because you were with Max last night giving him a Christmas present. How did that go? What did you give him?”

Liz started to blush, “Well, I gave him two presents. The first was a new CD. The second was a kiss.”

“What about your agreement ‘not to feel a certain way about each other’?” Maria asked Liz.

Liz shrugged, “Basically, I said to hell with our agreement. Max really didn’t seem to mind too much.”

“I bet he didn’t,” Maria replied laughing.

Liz laughed too and shook her head. Maria stood up. “Well, make yourself at home here Liz. I noticed these hotel bathrooms have a bathtub, so since we have the whole evening, I’m taking a nice long bath to relax.”

“Sound good,” Liz said, flipping on the TV, “I might do that myself later.”

Maria ran the hot water and slipped into the tub. The warm water felt heavenly, especially after hours upon hours of driving. She leaned her head back on the back of the tub and shut her eyes.

It was half an hour later when she stepped out of the tub. She noticed she had forgotten to bring a change of clothes in with her. “Damn,” she muttered. Maria wrapped one of the big towels around herself and stepped out of the bathroom.

“Liz, would you pass me......” her voice trailed off as she saw that Liz wasn’t there anymore. Michael was however. He was standing in the middle of the hotel room.

“Liz had to go,” he said, unable to tear his eyes away from her. The towel covered everything necessary, but not by much.

Maria turned a bright red. Although she was not one to get embarrassed easily, she found herself blushing. “Uh, I just need to get some clothes,” she said softly. She grabbed the first things she reached out of her duffel bag on the bed and ran back into the bathroom.

When she came out again, fully dressed, Michael had sat down on the bed. “Sorry,” he said, “I didn’t know you would be coming out... like that.”

Maria nodded and ducked her head, “No biggie, but why are you here?”

Michael shrugged, “We have the whole night free? Why don’t we go out on the town and actually do something.”

Maria nodded, “Okay. What though?”

Again Michael shrugged, “Oh heck, I don’t know. Why don’t we just go for a walk and see what is open on Christmas day.”

“I’ll get my jacket,” Maria said.

**************************************

They walked the streets downtown. Not much was open for the holidays. Maria was about to suggest giving up and going back when Michael pointed up ahead, “Look,” he said, “There’s a movie theater open up there?”

They walked to it and stared at the movie choices. “Are we sure we want to do this?” Maria asked, staring dubiously at the choices. They were all b-level horror flicks.

Michael shrugged, “I guess not. We could just rent one in to the hotel room.”

Maria nodded, “It’s better than this crap. Come on, let’s go back.”

Back in Maria’s hotel room, they flicked on the television and ordered a movie into the room. It was some movie Maria had never even heard of, but it looked like the best choice.

As the movie started, they both were lying back on the bed against the headrest, Michael with his arm around Maria, her head on his shoulder. Maria stared at the television screen and yawned.

Michael was looking at the TV, but he wasn’t really seeing much. This had been a bad idea. They should have gone to some crappy movie at that theater instead of coming back to be here, in her room, alone. Maria was nestled against him, and he was concentrating more on the feel of her than any images and sound on the screen.

Michael sighed, though not audibly. He knew he would never do anything to make her uncomfortable with him, but if they kept it up it would be hard to resist kissing her, and then he didn’t know how far that might lead. God, he wanted to see into her mind, know what she was thinking.

“Michael,” Maria said softly, turning around and sitting up to face him, “Kiss me, now.”

Before Michael had a chance to say anything, Maria leaned over and pressed her lips onto his. She put pressure, and he slid down so he was basically lying on the bed, with her on top of him.

Michael kissed her neck, and was shocked to feel Maria’s hands sliding under his T-shirt and lifting it. “Are you sure we want to do this?” Michael asked her, framing her face with his hands so she’d look at him.

Maria nodded, “Michael, I won’t pretend I’m not scared to death. But, especially if this guys can give you good information you won’t be here on earth for long or anything, and we won’t have much time together. Michael, I want to be with you, so it’s up to you.”

Michael nodded, “Maria, I want to be with you too, I just don’t want you to do something you’ll regret afterwards.”

“How could I regret this?” Maria said, and kissed him, trying to send him the message that it was allright.

Michael kissed her back deeply. He trailed kisses down her neck to the top of her T-shirt. He slid his hand underneath her shirt, and lifted it over her head.

Still kissing him, Maria sat him up. She slid his shirt over his head. Maria ran her hands over his bared chest.

As Michael reached around her to unhook her bra, he whispered, “You allright?”

Maria nodded, glad that he did care, knowing that she would trust him with all of herself, “Michael, I’m more than allright.”

**************************************

They lay in the bed later, cuddling together. Maria had her head rested on his chest, and his arm was wrapped around her. Their clothes were in piles on the floor.

“Any regrets?” Michael asked softly, stroking her hair.

Maria lifted her head slightly to look at him and smiled, “Not a one. That was beyond amazing. You?”

Michael shook his head and kissed her forehead, “No regrets. I was worried there for a bit though. I mean, that my..uh....genitalia would differ from a human guys.”

“Well,” Maria said, “I’m no expert on the subject, but from what I gathered from biology class, you’re normal.”

Michael said nothing, and just lay there staring at the ceiling. Eventually Maria thought he had fallen asleep. She then decided to say what she couldn’t when he was awake.

“I love you,” She whispered and kissed his shoulder before she settled back into her original position and fell asleep.

Michael’s eyes flew wide open. Had he heard right? Did she say ‘love’? That was impossible. She couldn’t love him. Yeah, he’d gathered that she liked him a lot, but love him? The trouble-maker. Girls usually went for the Max Evans type. The sensitive brand.

Should he tell her that he heard her? Should he tell her that he was in love with her? Because he was. Somewhere along the way he had fallen in love with Maria. The unlikeliest of all the girls in the world. However, here he was, so far in with her it would kill him to lose her. But, lose her he must if they found a way to get in touch with their original families, whatever planet they might be on.

“Maria, I love you too,” Michael said softly.

There was no reply, Maria had fallen fast asleep.

***********************************************

The morning came quickly. When Maria opened her eyes, Michael was sitting at a chair tying up his boots. Maria rubbed her eyes and sat up, forgetting her lack of attire. She quickly realized and lifted the blanket up.

“Max will be up soon,” Michael said by way of explanation, “I don’t want him to come in here and catch us together in bed. Besides, maybe he’ll believe I’ve been in my bed all night.”

Maria nodded and yawned, “I’ll meet you guys in the lobby in an hour.”

Michael nodded and walked over to the bed, “I wish this had been better. You deserved better than a hotel room with me having to leave quickly in the morning.”

“Michael,” Maria said, smiling up at him, “Last night was perfect. I had you, it was all I needed.”

Michael said, nothing, but leaned over and kissed her gently on the lips. “See you later,” he said, quickly, pulling away. And then he was gone.

**************************************************

Maria sat on a chair in the hotel lobby, waiting for everyone to arrive. She took a sip of the coffee she had purchased in the little cafeteria. Liz was the first one to arrive. She walked up to Maria carrying her big bag.

“Morning,” Maria said, taking a sip of her cappuccino.

Liz yawned, “Morning. Isabel was taking a shower, she’ll be down soon.”

Maria nodded, and closed her eyes. When she opened them Michael was standing in front of her. “Checked out yet?” he asked stoically, smiling at her though.

Maria nodded, unable to take her eyes off of him, “Yeah.”

Michael nodded too, “Well, I’m going to check out now. See you guys in a few.”

Liz watched him go. When she turned back to Maria, her mouth was wide open. “You didn’t!” she exclaimed, staring in chock at Maria.

“I didn’t what?” Maria asked, sipping her coffee.

“You slept with him!” Liz exclaimed, rather loudly.

This drew the interested glances of many passerby’s. Maria glanced at them, then glared at Liz, “Keep your voice down!” she hissed.

“You mean it’s true?” Liz said, her voice barely down to a whisper, “I can’t believe this. I mean it’s only been hours since yesterday and already you guys were acting weird around each other. My God Maria, I never would have thought, after what you said yesterday that you would actually sleep with him!”

“Listen Liz,” Maria said softly, “It wasn’t something I planned. I just stopped to think. If what this guy tells them is useful, they may be leaving us very soon. I know it’s foolish, but I wanted to make love with him, and when I considered the possibility I might never get the chance I decided to go for it while I still could. I love Michael, and wanted to give myself to him.”

Liz sat down in a chair, “I’m not going to criticize. I understand your reasoning, and I won’t question it. But Maria, you’re in high school. What if you get pregnant?”

Maria leaned forwards, “Liz, I made the decision to sleep with him, and I don’t regret it for a minute no matter what the consequences are. If circumstances were different, I probably wouldn’t have done it. But, don’t try and convince me I made a mistake because I won’t agree no matter what you say.”

Liz took her hand, “As long as you’re sure, I’ll support your decision. You’re my best friend, you know that. I may not agree with it, but I know it’s your choice, and since it makes you happy, I’ll be happy for you.”

“Thanks Liz,” Maria said, squeezing her hand. She then released it and leaned back in her chair and sipped her coffee, “There’s Isabel and Max coming down. “Let’s go to the library.”

****************************

The five teens sat at a table in the library on main street where they were supposed to meet Adam Granger. Max kept repeatedly checking his watch. The man was now 5 minutes late.

“Where is he?” Isabel asked impatiently.

“It’s only been 5 minutes,” Liz said mildly, earning her a glare from Isabel.

With that, Adam Granger entered the library. He walked over to their table. “Let’s go into a conference room,” he said, “We need somewhere more private.”

When he had closed the door to the room, he turned to Michael and motioned at Maria and Liz. “Who are these two?”

“They’re friends,” Max said calmly, “We have no secrets from them.”

“Who exactly are you?” Isabel said eagerly, “How you do you know us.”

Adam Granger sat down in a chair, “I used to live in Roswell. I found the surviving aliens at the crash sight. I was the first and only one as far as I could tell to see you people.”

“Are there more of us?” Michael asked, glancing at Max and Isabel.

Granger shrugged, “I don’t know if there are now. When I found you, there was you 3, 2 other children, twin girls in fact, and an older male. I could only fit 3 of you in my little car at a time, and you were the first 3 I took into town. I dropped you off at my house, and went back for the others. When I returned to the sight, not only were they gone, but so was the ship you were on, as well as any other evidence you might have been there.”

He continued, “I didn’t know what to do. I dropped you guys at the adoption center. Through an intricate story I was able to fabricate for them, I convinced them to keep me updated on you. My company has transferred me around since then, and I haven’t been back to Roswell at all. However, I’ve been keeping tabs on you since I found you.”

“You have no idea what happened to the others?” Max asked.

“None,” Granger confirmed. “They were there, and then they were gone.”

“What about the symbol on your book?” Michael asked, “What does that mean? Why did you put it on your book about ghosts?”

Granger shrugged, “I honestly don’t know what it means. I put it on my book simply because it looked neat, I don’t have a better reason than that. I remembered seeing it on the door of your spacecraft. I don’t know anything about it though.”

“Why haven’t you told anyone anything, even after all these years?” Isabel asked.

Granger sighed, “I honestly couldn’t tell you. Listen, you guys crash-landed and were on your own, defenseless. I didn’t want to turn you into some tabloid freakshow. God, you would never have had any kind of life. You would have spent all of your years in some government institution being tested. I wouldn’t wish that kind of life on anyone.”

“You’re wife doesn’t even know? Michael asked, raising an eyebrow, “I mean, you’ve been getting pictures and info on us for years.”

Granger shook his head, “I never told her. There was no reason for her to know, no reason to involve her. I just told her half truths. I just said I had found you orphans and sent you for adoption. I said I just wanted to see if guys were making it allright.”

“We should say thank you,” Max said, “For keeping our identity a secret.”

Granger shook his head, “Don’t thank me. I should have done more for you.”

“What else could you have done?” Isabel said. She meant it, but one could hear the underlying depression in her voice. There wasn’t much else he could have done, but it would have been so nice if he had.

“Is there nothing else you can tell us?” Max asked, “Nothing at all?”

Granger shook his head helplessly, “I’m sorry, no. All I did was find you that night, nothing more”

“I think we should go,” Michael said, standing up.

The rest of them nodded. Each of the 3 aliens thanked Mr.Granger before they were about to leave. “Excuse me,” he said to Liz and Maria, “What are your names?”

“Liz,” she said, smiling and shook his hand.

“Maria,” she said gruffly. She reached for Granger’s hand as well. He took it, but held on to it.

“You both live in Roswell?” he asked, a queer expression on his face.

“Yes,” Liz answered for both of them, “All our lives.”

Granger turned his attention back to Maria. He studied her face for a moment. She started to feel uncomfortable and was about to pull out her hand from his grasp when he released it on his own.

“You look just like your mother,” he said, and, grabbing his jacket, left the conference room.

The other 4 stood still in the room while Maria chased after Granger. She caught him right by the doors. “What do you mean by that?” she demanded, grabbing his arm, “How do you know my mother.”

“Maria,” Granger said with a sigh, “It’s not important. I never should have said anything.”

“What is not important?” Maria asked, refusing to let him go.

He turned back to face her, “Let it go. It will just cause you pain, and more trouble than you need.”

Maria heard her friends come up behind them. “I want to know what you know about me?” she said determinedly.

Granger sighed and patted her arm, “I didn’t recognize you at first, I only knew who you were when you said your name. Maria, I knew your mother very well. You see Maria, I’m your father.”

Maria was stunned. She just stared at him with a flabbergasted expression on her face. “You’re her father?” Liz asked in surprise from behind them.

Granger nodded, “I didn’t want to tell you. I know this will just cause you...”

“Cause me pain?” Maria asked in a deadly voice. “This is not what is causing me pain. The fact that I’ve lived without you for most of my life is what caused me pain. I grew up without a father, and this is what ‘is not important’.”

Granger started to speak, “Listen Maria,...”

“No,” she said, shaking her head, “I won’t listen to you, I won’t. For God’s sake, you’ve been keeping tabs on these people you barely know for their whole lives and you didn’t even recognize your own daughter? It’s a miracle you remembered my name.”

Granger shook his head, “Please don’t put both of us through this. Just go home and forget I even exist.”

“You just left mom and I,” Maria continued, as if he hadn’t spoken. She was beginning to get a lump in her throat, “Do you know how hard that made life for us? You wouldn’t have any idea though would you? You have your whole new family now. Just traded us in for a newer model and never even looked back.”

“I didn’t mean to hurt either of you,” he sighed, “For God’s sake, your mom and I were both so young. We made a mistake in getting married, it wasn’t meant to be.”

Maria felt her eyes filling with tears. She refused to let them spill in front of this man though. She had to be strong. “You know what?” she said through clenched teeth, “If this is the kind of man you are, I’m glad you didn’t stick around.”

The dam threatened to burst, and Maria simply said to the other 4, “I need to be alone right now,” and ran out into the snowy afternoon..

Michael just gave the man a deadly glare and ran out after her.

Maria ran straight to the park across the street from the library. She just kept running until she collapsed to her knees on the snow covered ground. The tears ran down her cheeks, and she couldn’t stop them. Maria sobbed uncontrollably as her heart felt like it had been stomped on.

Michael ran up in front of her. He saw her kneeling in the ground, crying like she would never stop. He knelt down in front of her and encircled her in his arms. Maria sobbed into the front of his jacket.

Michael whispered comforting words into her ears as Maria let it all out. When the tears finally subsided a little, he said, “It’ll be allright Maria. I know it hurts, but you’ll move on.”

“He just picked up and left us,” Maria said dejectedly, “He didn’t even care. Not even enough to check up on me once over all these years. He was all over, living his new life with his new family. We weren’t good enough for him.”

“It wasn’t you Maria,” Michael said determinedly, wiping the tears from her cheeks, “Or your mother. It was him. He was the whole problem. You could have been the most perfect child, or your mom the most perfect wife and he still would have left. He made the choice not to care, and he is the one who’s life is worse because of it. Your life wouldn’t have been made richer by having him in it, but he missed out on a whole lot by not knowing you.”

“For someone who is not an eloquent speaker, you sure know the right thing to say,” Maria said, but her voice still trembled, “I’ve lived without him, and I will continue to. It just hurts so bad.”

Michael nodded and kissed her forehead, “I know Maria, I know.”

Maria shrugged, and tried to act as if she had moved beyond caring, “Well, now my dream of his coming to take me in a limousine are dashed for good.”

She stood up and pulled Michael up with her. Her eyes were still read and puffy, but the tears had stopped. “Come on,” she said, pulling him along, “Let’s find the others and go home.”

***********************

When they walked back to the library, Liz, Max and Isabel were sitting on the front steps. When Liz saw them approaching, she ran up and threw her arms around Maria. “Are you allright?” she asked, concerned, pulling back and looking at her.

Maria nodded wearily, “Yeah, I’m fine. Let’s just go home.”

“You sure?” Liz asked, looking closely at her.

Maria nodded, “Let’s go.”

**************************************

It was midnight when they made a gas stop. This was going to be an all nighter of driving. Isabel filled up the tanks as Maria went to pay. Michael went to make use of the facilities.

Liz paid the attendant and walked back outside. Isabel had just finished filling the tank. “I’ll drive,” she said, reaching for the keys, “I’m wide awake, and you look like you’re about to collapse.”

“Thanks,” Maria said hesitantly, handing her the keys. “I’ll crawl in the back.”

When they started driving again, Isabel was alone in the frontseat. Michael had expressed a sudden fatigue, and claimed it would be easier to sleep in the back as well.

“How are you doing?” he asked Maria softly, as she settled her head on his shoulder to try and get some sleep.

Maria shrugged, “Yeah well, fine I guess. To be perfectly honest, it would have been easier to deal with the fact that my father was dead then he didn’t want to have anything to do with me.”

“Are you going to tell your mom?” he asked her quietly.

Maria shook her head, “Why put her through the unnecessary pain of knowing all this? Maybe someday, but not for awhile.”

Michael didn’t say anything. He just stroked her hair as she was lulled into sleep. As she slept against him, Michael stared out the window into the night sky. Maria was hurting, and that was true, but so was he. He didn’t know anything about his biological parents, or even the fact if he had any. Did they know he was alive? If so, were they not coming for him just because they didn’t want him? He had so many questions, but nobody to answer them.

Michael sighed a deep sigh, and leaned back against the seat. He closed his eyes until he fell into a deep sleep.

**********************************

“Did you have fun skiing?” Maria’s mom asked her as she helped her daughter carry her bags in.

“It was a blast mom,” Maria said, plastering a fake smile on her face, “But I’m afraid I wasn’t very good. I kept falling all the time. Eventually, I just gave up and watched the others.”

“That’s too bad dear,” her mom said sympathetically, “But at least you had a good time. Maybe some year you and I could go skiing on our own.”

“Sure mom,” Maria said softly as her mom went into the kitchen. She hated lying to her mother, but she had no choice. Besides, she and her mom both knew there wasn’t a big chance they would ever go skiing together.

“You want some lemonade?” her mom called out from the kitchen.

“Okay mom, I’ll be right there!” Maria yelled back as she ran up to her room.

Maria tossed her bag onto her bed and opened it to unpack her stuff. As she pulled out a heap of clothes, she noticed one of Michael’s T-shirts in among her stuff. They had shared a motel room on the 2 nights back. Liz hadn’t even commented except for the funny, knowing looks she kept shooting Maria.

Maria tossed it back in the bag. She would give it back to him eventually.

Maria then ran back downstairs to join her mom in a glass of lemonade.

******************************

It was late at night when Maria awakened from a particularly nice dream. Groggily, she stared at her alarm clock, 2:15 AM. She wondered what had awakened her. Her mom was working a night shift and wouldn’t be home until noon.

She heard the noise again. It was something hitting her bedroom window. Maria padded over to the window and opened the blinds. Another pebble hit the window right in front of her face. She saw Michael below. He was standing out the top of a limousine dressed in a tuxedo.

Maria pulled open her window and called out to him, “What the heck are you doing? You’ll wake up my neighbours!”

“Remember your dream?” Michael called back, not worrying much about being quiet.

“Which one?” Maria said back, still half asleep.

Michael looked exasperated, “Well there is that one, remember, I invaded it.”

Maria shrugged, “Yeah, so what.”

“Well, remember the limousine in it?” Michael yelled back, “This is the real deal, except we’re not dancing first, and we won’t have to wake up at the end.”

Maria just shook her head, “Give me a minute to get dressed Michael, I’ll be down in a minute.”

When she exited her front door, Michael had gotten out of the roof, and was leaning against the door.

“I won’t be able to get you away from Roswell permanently,” he said with a grin, “I can only afford this thing for a couple hours. But, I figured we can make it over to the next town, have and early breakfast, and come back.”

Maria put a hand to her mouth, and then hurled herself into his arms. She kissed his cheek and said, “Going away with you somewhere beats being swept away by my dad any day.”

Michael nodded, “That was what I was going for.”

“You know what?” Maria said, pulling away and laughing, “This is so similar to that scene in Pretty Woman when he comes riding up sticking out the top of this limousine.”

Michael looked at her strangely, “That’s about all this has in common. I mean, I didn’t start climbing up a fire escape to your apartment. You’re not a hooker, I’m not a successful business man. We’re many years younger than them. The list of differences goes on and on.”

Maria shrugged, “I was just saying is all. But, I will admit this beats any movie.”

“Thank you,” Michael said formally as he walked over to the door to the back of the limousine and opened it for her, “Your carriage awaits you mademoiselle.”

Maria laughed and slid into the spacious limousine. Michael followed her in and shut the door. He then rolled down the middle window and instructed the driver to take them to a city not to far from Roswell.

After he has rolled the window back up, he turned to Maria. “Maria,” he said hesitantly, “There is something I want to tell you. It’s not the easiest thing in the world to say, or to admit even to myself. I love you Maria.”

Maria’s eyes watered, with tears of happiness this time. “Michael,” she said tremulously, “I love you too.”

He leaned over towards her. As they kissed in the backseat, the driver drove them into the beautiful sunrise. Except this time the dream didn’t end. They would find their ‘home’ in this world together.

The End

Email Author | Back to FanFic Page
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.