FanFic - Michael/Maria
"A Winter's Night."
Part 1
by Amber
Disclaimer: : No I dont own, so you cant sue, ha! Anyway, I was in a really angsty mood. I dont think I am going to continue this story, maybe if you send me feedback and convince me ;)
Summary: Something goes wrong when the FBI hunts the Aliens and only one solution can help the dying
Category: Michael/Maria
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: The parts that begin with * means present. Whereas the others represent Maria looking back.
The shot sounded in the winters night air, several sounds of panting and running also invaded the cool quiet space, 2 of them had fallen but they had scrambled back up, running as fast as their legs could lead them, each of them paired with someone, hand in hand. One final shot fired and hit a target.

"Michael...open your eyes, Michael, god...Max..Izzy..stop the bleeding..please" Maria sobbed as she placed her hand over Michael's chest, applying much pressure to the wound as possible. She looked at Max with pleading eyes but Max did not return her look. "I...cant" Max said, his voice shaking. "What? No, Max you..you have too, he isn't meant to die, he cant...he cant die" Maria said shaking her head. "Maria, the fate of Michael is unknown, his life, his blood is different then you, we cant manipulate our own molecular structure, its not physically possible.." Isabelle whispered, her long eyelashes rested on her cheeks as she closed her eyes, her voice speaking with finality. Maria let a sob release and looked at Liz, with a pleading look, Liz simply looked at Max, their eyes locked together as they both seemed to realize the truth, they couldn't save him....

They all looked down at the young man resting there, his breathing had become shallow, his face became sweaty and they knew they could lose him at any moment. They all had sat in that circle, the FBI Agent who had pursued the 6 had taken off as soon as he realized he had hit someone, they all knew that the man made a mistake, they knew the FBI were there to capture the wanted 3 , not to attack and kill. They had all joined hands, just as they had done when Michael had gotten violently ill

**************************************************************

*Maria DeLuca looked out the window blankly. She didn't know what she was searching for, she didn't even know if she was searching, she just stared. Her eyes wandered toward the sky, she let a small smile appear on her face. She spun the object that rested in her hand around her finger. 3 years ago she used to study each and every star in the sky, mesmerizing the colors, the shape and imagining the texture and the feel. She wondered if Michael had made it, if he was still alive, if his life had been saved and preserved. She had loved him dearly but she had to let him go, she released him to the heavens above, letting them have their way with him, it was up to their people to decide whether or not to save the one thing in her life that she had adored.

************************************************************

Feeling the blood soak through her fingers, Maria applied much pressure on the wound. She cursed silently, wishing it was her that had gotten shot, that way she could be healed, rather than having the inevitable happen. She had cried herself out, no more tears had come, she felt completely dry as she sat there, hands on wound, watching Michael and his life slip away slowly. She felt hands pry her own away off of Michael's stomach, as much as she tried to resist, she didn't. "I think I know a way to save Michael " Max said softly, not taking his eyes off of his friend. Liz nervously pushed her hair behind her ears and looked at Max "What? How? Do we need to call someone?" Max shook his head "Do you remember how in Science we learned that some harmed animals adjust better in their own habitat? This may work for Michael" Max said. "So are yo you saying we should drive to the jungle and 'set' Michael free? Because that's what it sounds like your saying" Alex said, clutching Isabelle's hand tighter. "No, that's not what I meant," Max began, attempting to keep his voice even. "I meant, there is a way, a way we could connect with home and maybe, if we take Michael home, his body will adjust to the climate and he might heal" Max said, biting out each word. Marias head jerked up, she studied each and every one of their faces, her eyes narrowed down to Michael's body. He was no longer shaking, he was more still than before and it frightened her. "What do we do?" Maria replied, her voice coming out hoarse. Max simply looked at Isabelle and nodded.

************************************************** *Maria closed her eyes briefly as she reflected on the images she remembered from that night. It no longer hurt her to see them over and over in her head, not that much anyway. As the weeks went on, Maria began to remember every detail from that night, from the smell in the air, to the brand new suede shoes the FBI agent had worn that night. She noticed a figure sit next to her, resting their hands on her shoulder, glancing over, Maria smiled "Hey Liz" "Penny for your thoughts?" Liz replied. No matter what had happened in the past, Liz and Maria always stayed close to one another. Each supporting eachother when times got hard, or when one would weep into the darkness of the night. "I was just thinking..." "I know what your thinking Maria, I know the look on your face. I see it everytime your staring out of the window. Your wondering if they made it all right, or how they are and if they think about the fact that they can appear on your doorstep anytime" Liz said Maria shook her head "They aren't going to return"

************************************************

Each hand clutching one another tightly as they looked at one another nervously. "Close your eyes and clear your mind, make sure your mind is set on the one thing that you cherish and one thing only" Max mumbled calmly. They each closed their eyes and relaxed their minds. Each one fell into a deep slumber that seemed to fill their ears with music. Michael's breathing seemed to deepen as a bright light filled the air. Still keeping their concentration, the 5 kept their eyes closed. Suddenly without warning, the flashes came as quickly as their air they drew to their bodies. Flash -* the 6 of them in 3rd grade, shyly eyeing eachother for the first time* Flash -* The trip to Marathon, Michael and Maria squabbling and Max and Liz growing closer* Flash -*The 5 of them standing in a circle, realizing that they may in fact be able to trust eachother after Maria's encounter with the sherriff* Flash - *Alex standing up for he and Liz in the jail* Flash -*Maria crying quietly after she and Michael had broken up* Flash -*Each one adjusting their graduation caps happily as they walked across the stage, diplomas in hand* Flash -*Maria adjusting her wedding veil*

They were connecting. The light had grown brighter and they opened their eyes slowing, adjusting to the light. 2 figures walked towards them, their silhouettes outlines by the light. Isabelle's mouth fell agape and Max looked in awe as they stepped closer. Quickly looking down at Michael, Maria knew. Her heart lurched as she realized that it was time, it was their time.

The two figures walked closer and Liz noted that surprisingly they looked human. The Male, around 6'2, smiled at Max and Isabelle. Everyone stood up slowly yet cautiously. The female companion, kneeled beside Michael and placed her hand over Michael's wound and flinched. "C-can you heal him?" Maria managed to ask. The woman looked at Maria for a short time and placed her eyes on Max. "You called us here for help, am I correct?" the woman asked. Max nodded "Our friend is dying, we are trying to save him, we don't know what procedures we should have taken, I knew that this had to be the right thing." "You did well, you do realize that he is too damaged to stay upon here do you not? We will have to take him back with us, to his home. Where his body may adjust to the climate" the man spoke. Max nodded "Will he be able to return?" The woman and man looked at one another, each holding a secret in their eyes. "Sadly, no, we cannot bring him back. Once he returns home, he will lead a new life and a new start" "But, um, why cant you just heal him here? This is his home, we all love him. Taking Michael away is what might kill him" Liz said softly. The man shook his head "That cannot be, and right now we are letting him slip away, so we must go" looking at Max and Isabelle the man continued "We have been waiting for this day when you were in dire need of our assistance. Will you go back with your friend?" Max looked at Liz, who looked at him with the pain in her eyes. She watched him nod his head slowly and look down shamefully. Isabelle, taking one look at Alex, sniffled quietly and nodded also. The 2 nodded to eachother. "Wait! Can, can we at least.....can we at least say good-bye?" Maria asked, letting all emotion string out with each word. "Do as you must" The man said. Isabelle looked at Alex "Im sorry, Im so sorry, I have to go, I cant leave Michael.." Alex placed his hands on Isabelle's cheeks, and leaned over and kissed each tear "You've been waiting for this day for the longest and I wanted to let you know that no matter how far you'll be, Im right here" Alex whispered. Isabelle grabbed Alex and embraced him with a hug. She didn't let go, she wouldn't let him go. Maria knelt beside Michael and stroked his hair off his forehead. "Im sorry you have to leave Michael. So many promises, so little time. Get well for me OK?" Maria leaned down and kissed his forehead. Michael's eyes fluttered open and looked at Maria "Maria?" he whispered. "Your going home..." Maria said, trying to smile. "Home?" Michael asked weakly. Maria tried to nod, but found she couldn't.

"Time is running out, we must return. Now." A voice from a distance called. Maria closed her eyes and silently prayed. She took rested her eyes on Michael, letting them scan his body. His face was turned and Maria noted his beautiful profile. He looked like a sculpture, so perfect and pure, but he was no longer hers to love.

Liz looked at Max, she narrowed her eyes as Max rested a hand on his cheek. "Liz, please understand" Max began. "No, Max, um....I understand. You wanted this, you've always wanted this and now" Liz looked over at Michael laying there with Maria caressing his cheek, whispering sweet words. She immediately returned her gaze to Max and continued " and now Michael is dying and if this is how he has to be healed then, then you have no other choice." Liz said, the sobs entering her voice. Max pulled her close and buried her head in his neck. "Shh, I love you Liz. No matter how far I am, Ill always love you. The stars in the sky, will never bring enough light into my life as you had. That day, when you had asked why I saved you. My words were simple, yet true. It was you. You were the one. You and I were destined to be together and I promise that I will return to you." Max murmured as he stroked her hair. Liz buried her face deeper into his neck and cried. She let the tears flow. Max took her hand and pulled her against him gently once more. Tilting her head up so she looked into his eyes, he kissed her softly, letting her know it was going to be OK.

Maria watched Max and Liz, with pained expressions on their faces. Standing up, they all gathered together. The last time they would all be together. Each studied eachother with a look of remorse. The 6 friends who had seemed to be drawn together by a secret, were being destroyed because this secret would've kill one of them. Isabelle reached over and embraced Maria and Liz in a hug "You guys were always like sisters to me" she whispered. They looked at eachother and Is nodded "I will take care of them both, Ill bring them back" she said. An understanding.

Max and Alex looked at eachother and nodded, another understanding. "Thank You Alex, you are like a brother to me." Max said. "We might as well share the same blood" Alex said smiling. Surrogate brothers, saying good-byes.

Maria rushed over and hugged Max. She let her eyes fall on Michael once more before focusing on Max "Thank you" she whispered. Max smiled "No, thank you Maria. You were the one who made us realize that its OK to be how we are." Max said. Maria tried but failed and let the tears flow. Looking into Maxs eyes she leaned over and kissed him on the cheek. It was a kiss between friends, a kiss of love and cherishment, it was a promise. "Take care of her for me. Keep her head high" Max said, looking at Liz. Maria nodded and smiled. "She's my best friend, would I do any less?" "I know you want to say good-bye, I have a small solution" Max said. Maria watched as Max placed his hand over Michael's wound. She could tell he was making a connection. A bright Light seemed to flow from Michael. A light of life. Maria watched as Michael stood up and stared at her. "Is he?" Maria asked Max. "No, just one way to say good-bye" Max said. Maria smiled at Michael, without realizing it she was in his arms. "Sssh...its going to be OK" Michael cooed as if he were tending a newborn. "Michael, please return home safe" Maria said. Michael smiled "I will return to YOU safe, home is where the heart is, you are my heart" he said. Maria let out a small laugh "You were never a good poet" Michael shrugged "Eh? I try" They both smiled. Liz walked up and smiled at them. Michael leaned over and kissed Liz's cheek. "I don't envy Max Evans anymore" he said as he leaned over. Liz smiled. "Take care Michael, return to us soon Czecho boy" "Ah so that was what you call us huh? Don't worry Ms Wizard. I wouldn't leave her too long" Michael said grinning. Another understanding. "I better go, don't know how long my body can go on" Michael said. He glanced at Maria once more and pulled her closer. "I love you" he whispered against her lips. "I love you too" Maria whispered back. A kiss. The final kiss? A kiss of good-bye? No, a kiss of love, A kiss of promise. It was then Michael grabbed Maria's hand and placed an object inside her palm. He closed his fingers around hers and gave her one last look. Smiling he began to walk away. Maria smiled and opened her palm. She expected a ring, maybe a piece of jewelry. "A keychain??" Maria asked aloud. "Michael, I should've of known you were going to get El-Cheapo!" Maria yelled smiling. Maria saw Michael mouth something as he entered the ship. 'Read it' Maria looked at the keychain and read the words. She smiled as Liz, and Alex stood on each side of her. Wrapping their arms around eachother, they watched as the ship flew up into the sky. Like a shooting star.

***************************************** *Maria sighed. She had stopped twirling the keychain on her finger and glanced at Liz. "This is what keeps me grounded" Maria murmured, clutching the keychain. Liz smiled, "I promised him I would keep you grounded" "As I did Max" Maria replied. Liz wrapped her arm around Maria and they both looked out into the night sky. Maria looked at the keychain once more and read out loud, for old times sake. "No Matter how far the distance, or how far the Journey. We will always be under the same moon"

Email Author | Back to FanFic Page
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.