FanFic - Other
"An Affair to Remember"
Part 1
by Andaluchia
Disclaimer: I'm not sure who the story belongs to, but it's not mine. Also the characters are not mine either except for maybe a few made up here and there.
Summary: It's a Roswell version of the old classic and WONDERFUL movie "An Affair To Remember."
Category: Other
Rating: PG-13
"You should take the plane. It'll be much faster," he said.

She rolled her eyes as she continued packing. Didn't he understand? She smiled.

"You know, maybe I should just come with you," he said.

"No," she said firmly, "Kyle, stay here. I'll be back before you know it."

"Not if you take a train," he challenged.

"Oh jeez," she shook her head and chuckled.

"What?" He asked.

She turned to face the love of her life. She considered saying something. "Nothing," she answered and cracked a charming smile. He smiled and playfully tickled her. She laughed and laughed. She loved it when he did that.

"Don't tell me nothing!" He yelled through laughter. He continued tickling her and together they doubled over in laughter. Finally on the floor the giggles subsided and she looked at him.

With a solemn, but loving expression she said, "It's just you."

"What do you mean?" He asked, his expression said nothing but love.

"I love you," she breathed.

He looked down at his enchanting princess and moved some of her hair away from her face. He leaned down and kissed her softly. Then pressing his forehead against hers he whispered, "I love you."

"You know what I love?" She began. "Is that fact that every time you tell me that you love me it always feels like the very first time you told me."

"I remember. It was at the celebration party for winning the World Series. It was so loud in there," Kyle said and chuckled. "Everyone was yelling from the excitement of winning, the music was blaring, people were laughing and dancing. But, all I could see was you." He looked into her eyes. "And I knew at that moment that I wanted to spend the rest of my life learning every single little detail about you."

"Damn, Kyle. Don't make me cry now." She said.

"Maria, what did I ever do to deserve you?"

"You were just you," she replied.

She hugged him tightly. "I'm going to miss you."

"Isabel, I'll be back before you know it," Michael said.

"Well, being away from you for a minute seems like forever," she said with a pout. Michael rolled his eyes then smiled at her.

"I'm going to marry you," he whispered to her.

"And I'm going to marry you," she said back to him. Silence came as she proceeded to adjust his tie.

"Isabel," he groaned as she straightened out his suit.

"What?" She asked. He gestured at her fixing his clothing. She playfully pinched his cheek. "I have to make sure my man looks good. Of course, not to go out and get any ladies though."

She took a step back and looked him over. Then, with a thumbs up, she said, "You look like a gentleman."

Michael groaned. He leaned forward and kissed her lightly on the mouth. Then he picked up his bags and said, "I love you."

"I love you, too." Isabel said as she moved forward and hugged him once more. "I miss you already."

"Don't. Or I won't be able to leave," he replied.

"Well, then I'll just have to keep going," she joked. She stepped away and nodded for him to go. Michael turned around and left to board the train.

Maria DeLuca, soon to be Maria Valenti, sat in the room she had in the train and stared at her engagement ring. She sighed as she thought about how much she missed Kyle already. Looking out the window, she realized they hadn't even left yet.

It wasn't a small room. It was actually quite large. The newer trains came with a lot more. This room had a mini bar, a small refrigerator packed with food, a TV, and even a closet. I guess they want to make sure you are as comfortable as possible.

She pulled out a notebook and began to write a letter to Kyle. A few seconds later she crumpled it up and scoffed to herself. Look at me. How pathetic! We haven't left yet and I'm already writing him letters. She decided to write a song about him instead.

I wonder what I should call the song. 'The heart grows fonder' perhaps? No. Maria was so deep in thought she didn't even realize that someone else joined her in the room.

Michael didn't attempt to be quiet as he entered his assigned room in the train, but the young lady hadn't even noticed he was there. She seemed to be deep in thought to whatever it was she was writing. Michael was a tad bit curious, but decided not to bother her.

He couldn't help but notice her familiarity. He didn't think he knew her, but it seemed like he had seen her before. She had long auburn hair, piercing gray eyes, a beautiful figure, and an innocent expression. Her hair flowed beautifully as it went over her shoulders. He almost wanted to reach out and touch it. No one had ever made him feel like that, except for Isabel. Or had she?

But, something egged at Michael. He still couldn't figure out how he knew her. She was so captivating. He was fixated on her hair and her eyes. He had looked into those eyes before. He knew it. But, her hair was different. Or he felt it should be. Like it was different when he knew her, he just didn't know how.

Should I say something? He thought. No. She seems to deep into whatever she's doing. I don't want to interrupt her.

Maria finally looked up and noticed the man sitting in the room with her. She was startled for a second because she never heard him come in. Why didn't he say something when he came in? She wondered. He probably noticed you were busy with writing and didn't want to bother you. She told herself.

Should I say something? Hi, maybe. She asked herself as she observed him. He sat so still it was disturbing. His hair was medium length and wavy, his eyes were hazel, and his physique simply enchanting. His eyes were the most captivating though. They looked so pained. Maria wondered what could ever cause him so much pain. He looked to young to have any burdens.

Maria sat still, nervously twisting her engagement ring, wondering if she should say something. That's when it hit her like a brick. Its Michael! She couldn't believe it. It's the 'I-stuck-my-finger-in-a-socket' guy! Except his hair isn't so spiky anymore.

She couldn't believe that her 'once-almost-boyfriend' was sitting across from her. Well, if they had ever actually spoken to each other they would have been boyfriend and girlfriend. Maria sighed. It had been so complicated in high school and she had been so naïve. Michael and herself had started a, what's the word for it, fling in high school. Of course, it ended just as quickly as it had started. He had his origins and she had her origins. Obviously, they didn't match well. Back then he was intent on being a brick wall and didn't want any attachments.

She had been hurt. Who wouldn't be hurt? She had liked the guy since 3rd grade. Oh well. He's still as cute as ever though. Last she had heard was he had hooked up with Isabel Evans. Perfect Match. She told herself. They were both the 'I-don't-let-anyone-in' types. But, he still looked like the 'I-still-don't-let-anyone-in' type. Maria quickly looked away when he looked at her.

She just looks so damn familiar. He couldn't get over it. Then it hit him. Maria! She looks exactly like Maria. Except for the hair. That's why she was so captivating to him. Because, she looked like the girl he had secretly loved in high school.

He remembered being in love with Maria since the 3rd grade. Of course, he was always good at keeping it inside. Then their sophomore year in high school came, and Max rescued Liz from death. Then of course she had found out the secret, as did Maria. Then the dam of Michael's feelings for Maria started to crack open.

They started out recklessly and it ended that way. He remembered when he broke up with her that even afterwards he was in denial of it. Max asked him about it and he had replied with, "I don't know it's sort of confusing."

Then Liz came over and gave Max a free soda and Maria set Michael's soda in front of him and told him the amount. "I guess it's not so confusing anymore," Michael said.

Then the balance came and Maria helped save his life and that's when he knew he had to stay away. He was so in love with her that he couldn't bear it if she was ever hurt because of him.

Michael later began dating Isabel. They had planned to leave Roswell right after graduation. Graduation day came and he couldn't keep his eyes off of Maria. She looked so beautiful that day. He wanted to talk to her. To tell her how much he had loved her, to apologize for the pain, just to talk to her. But, he knew if he did he would wind up staying and Isabel would be crushed.

Even though his love for Isabel could never compete with his love for Maria he still chose Isabel. It was better that way. Maria would never be hurt and it'd be easier to just stay with Isabel. Graduation day came and went. They all graduated and that night Isabel and Michael left Roswell.

Then a few days later he got the call. "Max, why didn't you come with us?"

"Sorry, I had to stay with Liz. She really needs me right now," Max said.

"Why? What happened?" Michael asked.

"Maria was in a car accident. She's not going to make it," Max answered and Michael's entire body froze.

When he was finally able to compose himself he said, "I'm sorry."

"It's OK. I'll meet you in a few days," Max said.

"Bye," Michael hung up the phone. Maria was... He couldn't even finish the sentence because it was so unbelievable.

Michael continued staring at her. He wondered if she sounded as much like Maria as she looked like her. But, he didn't want to disturb her silence. She was staring out the window, obviously entranced by the beautiful scenery.

Maria turned around to grab her notebook again and accidentally knocked over her bag, spilling everything on the floor. "Oh fudge," she said as she bent over to pick her things up.

Michael chuckled at her word usage as he bent down to help pick her things up from the ground. He slowly handed her things he picked up.

"Thank you," she said nervously as he handed her the things from the floor.

"It's no problem," he said shaking his head. "No problem at all." He picked up a book that fell out of her bag. James Joyce Ulysses, He felt goose bumps as he read the title. The memories of that night in the hotel with Maria came flooding back. The images of her shocked face as he quoted Ulysses flowed through his mind. He picked up the book and couldn't stop staring at it.

Maria cleared her throat to get Michael's attention. He was gripped on to her book as if to save his life. He finally came back to reality and blushed with embarrassment as he handed the book back.

"It's my favorite," he told her. Maria smiled at him.

She couldn't believe it. He didn't even know it was her.

Michael extended his hand out and shook hers. "Michael Guerin," he introduced himself.

"The football coach?" She asked. He nodded. "Wow, I'm in awe."

"Don't be," he began, "we've lost the last 3 games." They both chuckled.

"Oh please, I love the Raiders and will stand by them even through the rough spots," Maria joked.

Michael looked a bit stunned. "You watch football?"

Maria pretended to be offended. "Just because I'm a girl means I can't watch football?"

"No, no. I didn't mean-"

"It's OK. I was joking. Actually my fiance watches it. Sometimes I watch with him," she said.

She's engaged. Michael was a tad bit disappointed, although he'd never admit it. He smiled at her.

"You look too young to be coaching football," Maria said.

This time Michael pretended to be offended. "I'm 28!" He exclaimed. They both laughed then Michael grew serious. "Actually, I started out playing football. In my first season of playing I busted a knee so badly I had to be in a wheelchair for a few weeks. I guess I was so good that when I got better they asked me to coach, since I couldn't play anymore."

"I'm sorry," she said sincerely. "You don't look like the type that plays football."

"So, you think you know me?" He asked with a smile.

"I'm getting there," she replied.

"What about you? What do you do?" He asked.

"I teach," she said. "I teach music at NYU, although I've been wanting to become a musician. You know, have an album out and all that."

"Sounds interesting. Do you write your own songs?"

"Yes, I do. I write so many I could have had a few albums out by now," she laughed.

"So, what's stopping you?" He asked.

Maria's expression became somber. "I don't know," she whispered. "I just love to teach. But, I love to sing too. I want to have albums out and I'd like to teach children music also. I just can't decide which one to go for," she explained.

"So do both," he answered. Maria looked at him and smiled.

"That's quite a challenge."

"You don't seem like the type to pass up a challenge," he told her.

"So, you think you know me?"

"I'm getting there," he replied. "What's your name?" He asked. Maria laughed and shook her head.

"You don't even remember me, do you?" She said. Michael's expression went blank.

"I'm sorry. Have we met before?" He didn't want to get his hopes up that this was Maria. If it were that would mean she was alive and it was a lot easier to think she was dead.

Maria nodded, "Yes."

"Tell me," He said

"I'm not telling you. You'll just have to guess on your own," she said to him.

"Oh, I see how it is," he joked. Then he showed a serious expression as he thought deeply. "I know! Your hair was longer," he said.

"Nope. It's longer now," she said with a smile.

"Longer now?"

Maria nodded.

Michael snapped his fingers. "I know! It was redder."

"Nope."

"No?" He asked again and she nodded. "Well, I know. It's longer now so it looks lighter."

Maria chuckled. He knows. He just doesn't want to admit it's me. She thought to herself.

"Alright, I give up!" He said putting his hands down. Maria shook her head.

"I'm not telling you," she said. Michael stared at her.

It's really her. It really is Maria DeLuca. As Michael looked into her eyes he could tell that she knew he knew who she was. He gave her a soft smile and quietly said, "Maria. You're Maria."

Email Author | Back to FanFic Page
Part 2
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.