FanFic - Other
"Countdown to Departure"
Part 9
by Patricia
Disclaimer: I don't own any part of Roswell, but wish I did!!!
Summary: Max & Liz are married. So are Michael & Maria. Liz is pregnant. All of them, along with Isabel & Tess are about to leave Earth. These are the events that led up to that ... & their first experiences among the aliens....
Category: Other
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: My first fan fiction. Feedback is very welcome!
"Contact my mother at once!" Max's tone did not brook refusal.

Nevertheless, Jafra again said, "But your Highness... No contact was to be made with your mother until...." The look in Max's eyes stopped him cold.

"Things have changed.... Unless Liz's disappearance was part of your plan?"

"Well, no, but I'm sure there is some explanation...." Again Jafra's voice trailed off under Max's gaze.

Max looked at Larek again. "Well?"

Larek did not pretend to misunderstand. "No."

"It is obvious that Kivar is perfectly aware that I am here. If he can take Liz like that... he can take me just as easily. As you have said, we share the same vibration. The only difference is that she has the higher, feminine harmonic.... He had her taken from me by force once before. That was the day our last enemies on earth died.... This is a message from him. Now contact my mother!"

Larek and Jafra glanced at one another. Max motioned impatiently. "Unless one of you has the power she does?"

"No...." A new voice indicated that her presence had joined them via astral projection, although she was not there in person. "Zan!"

He turned and, for the first time, gave his mother the formal nod that he had been receiving. "Max, please."

She smiled. "Max... On earth that means 'Great or Highest.' Perfect. We will all use your new name.... Max, I came as soon as I felt Liz's transfer from this chamber. You are correct. Kivar has her... and he has your sister. There is no longer any time. We must regain them both immediately."

***

Isabel smiled into the green eyes. She did love self-confidence... and it would seem that Kivar had not only power, but charm! "Flattery will get you..." she pouted and turned away, "An audience...."

His laugh boomed out. "An audience! That's rich! I have followed your every move from a galaxy away and you plan to grant me an AUDIENCE!!!"

He took Isabel into his arms. She did not resist, but she did not welcome him either. He grasped her chin and looked into her eyes. "Still the arrogant princess.... The flash of your eyes turned to a smoldering flame for me alone, my treasure! All of your passion, your love were mine.... I took you before... and lost you...."

His gaze left hers and she took a chance on a verbal shot. "On purpose. You let me die." It was not a question.

He shrugged petulantly, "A moment of rage.... I told you not to go! Why could you not align yourself openly with me! It was ME you loved! With you, the legitimate princess, a direct heir, by my side... my rule would have been accepted by all.... Instead you left me... and went to them.... You betrayed me when you left me...." He had turned away completely as he spoke.

Isabel started to move away but he turned back and clutched her arm, pulling her to him. "We have a second chance, Velandra! We can let the people know and you can be mine again...!" He kissed her, not seeming to notice that he got no response.

He let go of her reluctantly. "Only a few loose ends to take care of... It is time to clean out the remaining rebels and destroy all of those with the regal sorcery... except for you, of course.... My queen will be the most powerful woman on the planet!" The beautiful green eyes shone with madness. When he reached the door, he looked back. "The next step is to destroy Zan once and for all! I have just the little bird to lure him into my trap!" He left the room.

Isabel paced the floor, wondering where he was going and who he was using as the lure he spoke of.... When the obvious answer came to mind: Liz. He had Liz too!

A momentary panic shook Isabel as she realized how different this intrigue was from anything she had known in her life. Then she forced herself to calm down and focus on Liz. Good! Liz was asleep... which made it so very much easier to reach her.

***

"Liz!" "Liz!" "Liz!" "Liz!"

Liz had been asleep on the bed in the dark room. Suddenly she was wakened by several people urgently calling her name. Fuzzily she realized that Isabel, Max, and Max's mother were all calling her. And Maria? How could she hear Maria's voice?

Isabel was dominant at first. "Liz, Kivar is coming to wherever he has you. Watch out!"

Her husband's mother spoke and everyone listened to her voice of authority. "We must protect Liz and her child. The room's doors must stay invisible! Everyone! Focus!"

Maria's voice was in Liz's head too. "Liz? I am so afraid for you...!"

"No, Maria... Strength and focus. You can do this." Max's mother was insistant.

Liz could hear someone outside the room, searching for an entrance. None of those openings could be found. She was secure in the small dark room... but she was still in a prison.

***

Max turned to his mother. "I'm going wherever Liz is."

Larek said cautiously, "I am not sure THAT would be a good idea. Kivar has more high cards than we want him to have already...."

"Don't worry about it, Larek, just chill. I'm going too." Michael nodded at Max. "It'll be like old times."

"That's what I'm afraid of..." Jafra said worriedly. "But you don't remember the old times well enough...."

Maria rose and grasped Michael's sleeve. "How can you two go where Liz is? You don't even know where she is... SHE doesn't know where she is!"

Michael covered her hand with his. "Max knows where she is.... Not exactly where... He couldn't give directions.... But he can feel her wherever she is and reach out for her. I'm just with him."

Maria tried to smile. "Don't get yourself hurt, space boy.... Our daughter is going to need her father."

He smiled tenderly down at her, then brushed her lips with his. "We'll be back. All of us."

Max and Michael stood side by side, arms touching slightly. Max turned his thoughts to his missing wife, pictured her in his mind, and locked his gaze with his mother's. She nodded and smiled.

They stood in the dark room with Liz. "Take her back, Michael," Max ordered.

"No. We can send her back...."

Max stopped him with a look. "Michael, I need to know she is safe. I still have to get out of this room and find Isabel. If Liz is not under my mother's protection Kivar will kill all of us and it will be finished. I have a plan but we have to get Liz out of here first.... OK?"

"OK, Maxwell. No good asking you to wait for me to get back, is it?" Max didn't say anything but Michael did not expect him to answer. "Watch your back. I'll get her there."

"Wait!" Liz turned to Max. "Don't make me a widow, Max.... Be careful!"

Max smiled grimly and kissed her. Michael stepped up behind Liz and put his hands on her shoulders. Max focused his thoughts on his mother and the room they had left. So did Michael. Liz and Michael vanished.

"Can you hear me, Izzy?" Max asked mentally.

"Yeah...... Where are you?"

"Michael and I dropped in and he took Liz back to the moon. How was your meeting with Kivar?"

"Max, he is CRAZY! I mean it!"

"I'll accept your assessment. Anyone who has been a dictator from behind walls all these years could not possibly be all there! Any weaknesses you could spot?"

"No.... Yes! He really loses it when he starts thinking about the past.... I don't know if there is any way to use that...." She added, as an afterthought. "Larek and Jafra were right about one thing."

"What's that?"

"He DOES still think I'm pretty hot stuff.... And he SAYS he wants me back!"

Max smiled. "You are, Izzy, you are! Let's just find you a GOOD guy this time, OK?"

Isabel sniffed. "I'll find someone for MYSELF, thank you!"

Max walked to a wall in the room and muttered, "Exit, please." A door opened silently and he edged along the wall in the direction of Isabel's vibration.

He did not see the shadow come up behind him until it was too late, but as he lost consciousness he heard a voice familiar from his nightmares say, "Better not kill him just yet.... It will be a waste of time if we don't get all of them.... And DON'T kill Velandra this time!"

Part 8 | Index | Part 10
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.