FanFic - Other
"Crab Nebula in Taurus"
Part 3
by Syndee Thomas
Disclaimer: The characters are THE WB'S.
Summary: Combines the already running theme of Treasures Found and Tess to TESS (CD Fanfic) The Human/Alien alliance use information recorded in Claudia Parker's journal to establish the best time to activate a third Orb found with alien artifacts.
Category: Other
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: I recommend reading "Treasures Found" and "Tess to TESS" first but a Prologue is included.
"Maria, you're up." Liz nods to her friend as she settles back in her chair and relinquishes the floor.

"Okay," she fumbles through her bag for a small spiral notebook and opens it to a page full of post-it stickers up and down the sides.

"Give me a second. I thought he was going to take longer. Okay, I'm ready." She takes a deep breath as she lays out several sheets of paper in all sizes.

"It's generally accepted that the Anasazi and possibly the Hohokan built various types of 'observatories,' which allowed them to predict the summer and winter solstices and track the paths of the moon, stars and planets."

"They then determined the timing of religious ceremonies during the important seasons. Only when precisely timed were these religious rites strictly observed."

"No one knows if their knowledge of astronomy was adapted from the Meso-American culture or if the Native Americans of the Southwest developed and practiced astronomy independently." Maria lifts a hand and lets it fall from one side to another to demonstrate the two different groups.

"Both the Central Mexicans and the Maya knew that five Venus cycles were equal to eight earth cycles, but most remarkable was the combination of the periods of Venus, the earth and the calendar which rounds into a cycle of 104 years long." Maria looks to Michael for his input.

"Give or take a few days the 104 year cycle from the time of the supernova in 1054 starts tomorrow." Michael confirms.

"The fact that Venus has played a big role in what we know so far further strengthens the belief that tomorrow's an important day." Max whispers as he leans over to discreetly rub the V tattoo on Liz's stomach.

"Speaking of Venus and the V symbol," Maria refers to her overflowing notebook again, "In Meso-American culture, the triangle, a universal leitmotiv, is associated with the sun and corn and is therefore a fertility symbol."

"If it points up it symbolize fire and the male sex; if it points down, it symbolizes water and the female sex." Maria finishes with a flurried closing of her notebook and looks to a blushing Liz.

"So do you guys think that your people have been here before, maybe several times before the crash in 1947." The Sheriff addresses all of them but looks directly at Max.

Max hesitates for a moment before speaking on this very touchy subject. "Nasedo confirms that our race has made many visits to earth but that he is not at liberty to tell us anything."

"His job is just that of protector. Any information he gives may interfere with a future that has already been determined and laid out." A vein starts to pulse at his temple.

"Carbon dating on the necklace that Isabel found at Atherton's reveals that it's over 4000 years old. It is too early to say affirmatively that the Native Americans were either influenced by or influenced the inhabitants of your planet on their visits here, but a substantial amount of the evidence is leaning toward that theory." Sondra's eyes lock with Liz's and she recognizes the sadness associated with the loss of a grandparent.

"Liz's grandmother certainly thought as much." She taps a pencil against the table and shrugs her shoulders in a gesture that speaks volumes as to how many unanswered questions still exist.

"Influences like what?" The sheriff queries as he pulls his chair closer to the table in an attempt not to miss any clues to the mystery that has become a part of his life.

Maria reaches down beside her and then deposits a large book on the table with a thud. "Sorry, this sucker is heavy.

"The book is titled 'Pueblos, Prehistoric Indian Cultures of the Southwest by Maximilien Bruggmann.' She looks in Max's direction, "Coincidence I'm sure."

She thumbs through the book looking for a page she has marked with a post-it. "Look." She turns the book around to give the others clear access. "Pages 214 and 215 are littered with Rock Art of hundreds of pictographs or petroglyphs depicting hand prints."

"Get this, you guys." Maria's excitement is evident in the high-pitched tone of her voice. "One of the most common symbols in southwestern art was the hand, universal (and now possibly intergalactic) symbol of protection against evil spirits and a sort of individual signature."

"I'm surprised that you didn't know this stuff Liz." Maria arches a brow in Liz's direction.

"We all should know it, didn't we take New Mexico history in like the fifth grade." Kyle reminds them.

"They weren't very good artists were they? Some of these pictures look like they were made by pre-schoolers." Alex comments as he turns over another page of the large book.

"First of all its not easy incising pictures into stone." Maria defends. "The images were incised and chipped, or 'pecked,'out of hard rock with axes, chisels and hammers."

"Okay, okay I'm sorry I mentioned it." Alex holds up his arms to ward off the daggers that she is throwing via her eyes.

"In answer to your question Sheriff," Liz gives her friends a stiff look to suggest that they don't bicker.

"My grandmother thinks that they may have been here in 1939. There's a little known incident that my grandmother remembers from her childhood where a group of hikers reported seeing an opening magically appear in the side of a cliff wall near Portales." Liz glances from Max to Michael.

"Is it possible that the Pods were here before 1947 and what people generally believe to be a spaceship crashing upon trying to land in actuality was a spaceship crashing on takeoff?" Liz throws this theory out to her now very attentive audience.

"Interesting, but why didn't they take you guys with them?" The Sheriff points out.

"Maybe they were being pursued." Kyle interjects out of the blue.

All eyes turn to Kyle, "What do you mean?" Michael directs all his attention to the young man who proposes a new twist to the crash theory.

Kyle shrugs, "We know that your enemies are on earth, right? Well, lets suppose these enemy aliens found out that the members of your species were living in and around Roswell. What better way to get to you than through them."

"So what you're saying is that they attempted to leave to draw attention away from Roswell and us." Michael says with a low gritty voice.

"Either that or they were forced down on their return to earth by the enemy aliens pursuant," Isabel says in a whisper.

"Does your grandmother's journal reveal any other strange happening before 1947?" The Sheriff uneasiness twists into a tight knot of apprehension as he remembers campfire tales that were passed off as local color but in fact could have been true.

"Unfortunately, the pages immediately after this disclosure are torn out of the journal. "Liz releases her breath in a long sigh.

"How many pages?" Isabel looks from Liz to the others seated around the table.

"Two, possibly three." Michaels looks to Liz for confirmation and she nods yes to his estimate.

Part 2 | Index | Part 4
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.