FanFic - Other
"Czech Your Dimensions"
Part 27
by John
Disclaimer: Roswell characters belong to Warner Brothers. No infringement intended.
Category: Other
Rating: PG-13
(On the road leading to the compound, Max and Isabel are parked behind some trees waiting for the supply truck. After more than just a few cell-phone calls and finally an Isabel-Alex connection...)

Isabel: Max...there's a gold Jeep just turning in off the highway.

Max: It's them. My Liz detector just went off.

Isabel: What does that do?

Max: You don't really want to know.

Isabel: I'm glad they're here. I've missed them.

Max: Me too. It's hard to believe there was a time that we didn't have these people to depend on.

Isabel: It's so natural now, I'm afraid I take them for granted sometimes.

Max: My only regret is that we waited so long. Liz and the others were there, just waiting for us to reach out. We needed them and they needed us; we just were too afraid to realize it.

(Max pulls the jeep out a little so it can be seen. Pulling up next to it, Liz jumps out and runs to Max. She throws her arms around him and gives him a kiss so big and so long that both of them almost pass out from lack of oxygen. Alex takes the time to park his car discretely, then he too runs towards Max' jeep and a waiting Isabel. They embrace. Maria just sits in the Cherokee with a pained expression on her face. Is it because of her concern for Michael or is the reunion scene in front of her just a little too sweet?)

Liz: Max! It's been...

Max: I know. It's been hard. But I really didn't want to involve you...

Liz: Hey! If you're involved, I'm involved. I was so excited when you said you needed help I almost forgot how dangerous this is going to be.

Alex: (To Isabel, as they break away from each other) You'll be extra careful in there just for me, won't you?

Isabel: I promise I'll think twice about anything we do; once for me and once for you.

Liz: What do you want us to do? And, from what you know, what can we do if anything goes wrong?

Max: Alex told you our plan?

Liz: Pretty much. You can tell me again, as long as you hold me while you do it.

Max: I'll hold you anytime, Liz. You and Alex just need to be expert getaway drivers. Hop in! Let me show you where I think you should park and wait for us.

(As they start to drive off...)

Liz: Hey, wait! Maria! Don't just drive off and leave her there in the Cherokee.

Isabel: Someone needs to watch the cars.

Liz: But she's already a basket case worrying about Michael.

Isabel: I'll stay with the car. Take her with you.

(Alex frowns, but realizes that is the best plan. Max walks over to the Cherokee and bids Maria to get in the Jeep. She slowly gets out and she and Isabel change places.)

Liz: (Liz takes Maria's hand in hers. She looks at her eye to eye.) He'll be OK, Maria. Max is going to show us where to wait for them as they bring Michael and the others out.

Maria: (Quietly) Max? You'll bring him back to me, won't you?

Max: That's exactly what we're going to do. Devin and the others too. This has to work.

Maria: Don't you get yourselves caught.

Max: We'll be careful.

(Maria starts to cry as she thinks again about Michael being held inside the compound. Alex takes her hand...)

Alex: Maria, Max and the others know what they're doing. I'm sure this is going to work.

Max: When we come out, load everyone in the cars as quickly as possible, then just take off. Don't look back. Get out to the highway and head east, then south towards Denver. I've already tied our clothes bags and stuff onto the rear of the Jeep so we'll have more room. People may have to sit backwards across the back and drape their legs over the bags. Tie your luggage on top of the Cherokee so there'll be extra room inside it too. We've got to get 19 people in three cars. It's going to be sardine like, but with the Cherokee rear seat down and maybe two in the passenger's seats I think we can do it. Alex, you better drive my Jeep since it's stick; Liz, you drive Devin's car; and Maria, you get to peddle Alex's beast.

Maria: (Smiles for the first time in a while.) Hey! I can pop a clutch... probably better than Alex.

Max: Well, you drive the Jeep then. I don't care.

Liz: I'll drive if I have to, but I'd rather one of the guys do it. I'm pretty nervous about being a getaway driver.

Max: We can't count on having time for someone else to take the drivers seat. At least get us out of town. Then you can let Michael or Devin drive.

Maria: It better be Devin, because once I get my arms around Michael, I'm never turning him loose again. I dibs him in my car.

Max: We may not have the luxury of time to decide a seating order.

Alex: I understand to head south, but where are we going?

Max: I thought we'd take the aliens to my dad's cabin in Northern New Mexico. Remember; we were going to check on it anyway. Hopefully we'll be able to stop before we get there and maybe get a few rooms for the night along the way.

Alex: Your dad said to make sure the gutters on the cabin are cleaned out so the roof doesn't leak.

Max: I hope we'll have lots of help to do things like that. Well, here's the place. Park behind that small ridge when you come here tomorrow. If you look around it, you can kind of see the compound, but unless someone knew to specifically look back there, I don't think you'll be spotted.

Alex: And you guys are going to hop on a supply truck for a ride in?

Max: Yes! We better get back to Isabel right away. (Turns Jeep around.) I don't know how soon it will arrive, but I'd guess any time. Maybe you guys ought to head into town. I'd suggest you gas up, get some lunch and go to the motel for some sleep. You're probably tired after driving all night. Here's the key to room 17. We're still booked in there through tonight. Just be out here by 1:00 o'clock tomorrow. That's when the guards are supposed to have their meeting.

Maria: I'm way too worried about Michael to sleep.

Liz: I'm worried too, but I have confidence in Max. This will all be over soon.

Max: Michael's fine right now, Maria. Isabel's been connecting with him on and off. One of the guards is actually being helpful to he and Devin.

Alex: Maybe we should wait around and just happen upon the truck shortly after you disable it. We could distract the driver by offering to help him.

Max: I like the way you think. Yes! If you're not too tired, why don't you pull the cars over to the other side of the main highway and watch for the green truck. When it starts down this road, wait a few minutes; then come back in the Jeep. Isabel and I will be hiding behind those trees and we'll do our magic on the truck when it comes by. You distract the driver after he gets out to see what's wrong and we'll slip out from behind the trees and get inside. Perfect! As soon as we're inside, his vehicle will somehow be able to run again.

Liz: How are you going to get out of the truck inside the compound without being seen?

Max: Michael said that the guard who is helping them will make a point of being the one to unload the supplies. He'll help us slip into the old greenhouse.

Liz: You really do have this all planned out. See Maria? There's nothing to worry about.

(Liz thinks to herself, "And if I believe that, I'll be purchasing swamp land in Florida soon." Max and Isabel hide behind the trees as the others move the vehicles away from the area. Watching closely, they soon see a green truck with "Carpenter Supply" on its sides. The truck makes its way towards the compound but, as planned, it suddenly begins to spew smoke from under the hood. The driver pulls to the side of the road. He gets out of the truck and starts to look under the hood, but begins coughing from inhaling the smoke. Leaving Maria to guard the vehicles, Alex and Liz head down the road in the Jeep. Alex pulls over behind the truck and approaches the driver.)

Alex: Got a problem?

Driver: I guess. Smoke just started coming out from under the hood.

Alex: I've got some tools. Let's take a look.

(Alex takes a toolbox and heads for the front of the truck.)

Driver: What are you folks doing out here?

Alex: Up the road, over those mountains, there's some neat four wheel drive challenges. We thought we'd see how old Nellybelle does today.

Driver: You're too young to remember Nellybelle.

Alex: Naw...I have satellite T.V.!

Liz: You'll have to tell me about Nellybelle.

Alex: OK, Liz. I will. Anyway, let's see what's going on here.

(Opens hood)

Alex: Come look! Your oil cap's come off. The engine was blowing oil all over the hot manifold.

(The driver looks into the engine compartment giving Max and Isabel time to run to the rear of the truck. Using his powers to unlock it, Max opens the rear roll-up door just enough to slide under it. Liz, watching out of the corner of her eye, saw them successfully get inside. She smiles and rotates her finger so that Alex knows it's a wrap. )

Alex: Have you got any rags?

Driver: Under my seat. I'll get them.

Alex: (Stuffs a rag into the oil fill.) It'll probably smoke some more as the oil burns off, but the rag should keep any more oil from coming out. The dipstick reads a bit low, but you should be OK. Better get a new cap when you get back to town.

Driver: Thanks! Got to make a delivery up here to this ranch.

Alex: Is that a real ranch? I heard it was home to a religious cult.

Driver: Not sure! They just have me bring a load of food and supplies out about once a week. I figured it was some sort of ranch with hands to feed.

Alex: They've got so many "keep out" signs that I stay away from there, other than to drive by.

Driver: Well, thanks again. You kids have fun four wheeling.

Alex: We'll try!

(Alex smiles at Liz. Mission accomplished. They head back to join Maria who's baby- sitting the vehicles across the way.)

Maria: They made it?

Liz: I saw them get in the truck.

Alex: Let's wait here just a little while before we go into town. I'm tired! I can hear that motel-room bed calling me, but I need to know Isabel and Max made it in OK before I can sleep.

Liz: How will you know? They wouldn't dare use a cell phone or anything.

Alex: After they've had time to get to their hiding place, I'll use the Isaphone.

Maria: Oh yea, you and Izzy! Are you going to need a boost from us again?

Alex: I doubt it, not with her this close. Who knows? Maybe I'll get Max and Michael on the party line too.

Liz: It's a good thing they're around to chaperone you two or you might get carried away with each other's thoughts.

Alex: Me? Isabel? How could you possibly think...

*Isabel: (Silent connection) Alex...

*Alex: Right here, Iz.

*Isabel: We're in...and as promised a guard came and started unloading the truck. After unloading some boxes, he told the driver to move near the greenhouse building so he could unload some other things. When we got there, he opened the door and tapped on the truck floor. We crawled out from behind some boxes and he whisked us into the building. We're in a bathroom on the lower floor in the back. It looks like it hasn't been used in years.

*Alex: So far so good. Since you're OK for now, we're gonna go get some sleep. Don't be afraid to dreamwalk me if you need anything.

*Michael: Isabel? Alex? Maxwell?

*Isabel: We're here Michael. You and Devin OK?

*Michael: For the moment. Devin's doing a rebuild, so I'm without company for a few minutes. I just hope no one comes in while he's in that mode. It's scary.

*Alex: It won't take him long, Michael. And you need him thinking correctly I'm sure.

*Michael: Yes! No question! I've decided he's OK, Alex.

*Alex: Finally! Glad to hear it. You can trust him, Michael. He won't let you down.

*Michael: He just came back among the living. So, are we set?

*Max: Can I barge in?

*Michael: Please, do.

*Max: I think we're as set as can be.

*Michael: What about Setoma?

*Max: Liz said they took him to the cave yesterday. We just have to trust that the professor will get him back here tonight.

*Michael: We know where the portal room is. I'll concentrate on it later tonight. I wonder if he can connect with us?

*Isabel: I don't know. He's really only half alien, but Liz said he was practicing his powers working the car door locks. He was able to do that. We have to count on him.

*Isabel: Are we sure we trust this Bilillia guy?

*Michael: Like counting on Setoma, I don't think we have a choice. If any of this goes wrong or isn't what it seems, we're in trouble anyway.

*Alex: Like you aren't now?

*Michael: It could be worse.

*Alex: Yea...given blood this month?

*Isabel: Alex! Wash your mouth...er...brain...out with soap.

*Alex: You guys be careful, OK? We'll be outside on the advertised. Michael, tell Devin I said "hi" and Anna says to tell him she misses him.

*Michael: I'll tell him you said "hi".

*Alex: I thought you said he was OK?

*Michael: He is, just not for Anna.

*Isabel: Let them decide that, Michael.

*Max: We better get settled. It's going to be quite a wait. Maybe we can take turns sleeping, Isabel.

*Isabel: OK. Later everyone!

(Scene: Room where Michael and Devin are being held.)

Michael: Everyone's in place except Setoma and that should happen tonight. One more day and this will be over.

Devin: Something doesn't feel right, Michael.

Michael: What are you talking about?

Devin: I don't know, but something's about to go wrong.

Michael: So now you have instincts, do you?

Devin: Look, you say you think I'm OK so get off my case. I can't tell you why I am what I am. Whatever happened that time Alex messed with my program way back when...the time I got the bogus rebuild... neither of us can explain what happened and I don't really care to try. Something...fate if you want...gave me a real life. Just realize I'm as sentient as you are and, yes...I do have instincts.

Michael: OK, OK! I believe you. What are your instincts telling you...?

Devin: That something is going to happen that we haven't planned for.

Michael: And that something is?

Devin: If I knew that, don't you think I'd tell you?

Michael: I hope you're wrong, Devin.

Devin: I hope so too, Michael. For everyone's sake, I really hope I'm wrong!

(Hmmm! I don't like what Devin said, do you? He has to be mistaken. The plan is foolproof. An insider is helping them. The "pit crew" is on the scene. Max and Isabel are in place! The professor is on their side. What could possibly go wrong? Why should anyone trust Devin's instincts? He's just a bunch of computer chips, isn't he? Guess you'll just have to join us next time on "Czech Your Dimensions". Now, don't touch that dial! Next on the B.S. Network is the presidential candidate's debate, A.K.A., "Who Wants To Hear A Million Errors?")

Part 26 | Index | Part 28
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.