FanFic - Other
"Destiny's Circle"
Part 4
by kath7
Disclaimer: I do not own the characters from Roswell nor from the Robin Hood legend. I am just borrowing them. Some original ideas by ddawn and Angel_Parker. The character of Parkyla was created by Sunnie D.
Summary: This story is based on an idea that came out of a RPG that is currently ongoing on the Fanforum Roswell Board called Detention Adventures (Detentioned Boswellians.) In it, two of our talented authors (Hi Angel_Parker and ddawn!) have created the idea that everything that happens in Roswell-land is on a continuous loop - meaning that Max, Isabel, Tess and Michael have been on Earth many times before, have returned to their planet and have been killed each time. Their "essences" have been re-cloned and they have been re-sent to Earth to try and get it right. Time on Earth continues to move forward with each loop, thus everytime our pod squad returns, they return to a different time period. My story has added to this idea - basically I believe that two mistakes in the current, contemporary loop of the TV show have affected the destiny of the four: These two events are 1)Nasedo being captured after the Crash and consequentially losing Max, Isabel and Michael 2) Max's healing of Liz. I love the idea of reincarnation and soulmates, thus I have decided to create the story of Max and Liz through the centuries as they just miss changing Max' s destiny each time. I already know that the story is going to end in our time, with the healing of Liz at the Crashdown....where it is going to go to get there, I do not know...LOL...so, hopefully this will work! This first part of the story is set in Medieval England and is based on the Robin Hood legend.
Category: Other
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: This story is dedicated to my pals on the Detentioned Boswellians RPG. They are, in no particular order: pbwin, ddawn, Sunnie D, hookt, Maria, sjton, Ivy_English, Angel_Parker, cheetah, Phaedra and Shortiegirl. If I forgot someone, please just kill me. LOL
Max watched Sir Kyle lead Lady Elizabeth away, feeling his heart begin to slow down as she disapeared into the crowd. He had been on his way to the stall selling meat pasties to provide a mid-day meal for he and his siblings when he had suddenly seen the young lady in accute danger. Always protective of Tess and Isabel, he had thought that it was just a natural instinct within in him to aid a lady in jeopardy.

That idea had quickly changed after he had swept Lady Elizabeth into his arms. It had suddenly felt as though he had found exactly what he had been looking for his entire life. He had known that she felt the same way when he had removed his hood and she had looked at him as though she recognized him. And he knew that she had - from the same place he knew her.

From his dreams.

Max had had a recurring dream his entire life. In it he was not a stranger on this world, but a regular human man, with a wife and children. The wife in his vision had the face of Lady Elizabeth deParkeville, his children were all small dark-haired, dark-eyed versions of her. He did not know how it was possible, but it was true. He had never seen her before today, but her face was as dear to him as those of Isabel or Tess...perhaps, even more so. Neither Isabel or Tess had ever made his heart speed up as though it wanted to beat out of his chest, or made him short of breath, or made him feel that his whole world could end right at that moment if he could have just one kiss....

Max realized that Isabel was looking at him strangely. "Max, are you quite well?" She asked worriedly. The four of them had somehow been able to suppress the horrifying events of earlier that day and had actually begun to enjoy the Fair. Max forced himself to smile. He did not want to concern the others.

"I'm fine Bella. I just realized that I did not manage to acquire any food. We won't have time to eat before the tournament." Isabel did not look convinced, but she let it go. Tess turned away from the jester, a smile still lighting up her pretty face.

"Oh Max! Did you see the fool?" Max put an affectionate arm around her shoulders.

"No, I missed him. But I only want to see the archery competition anyway." Michael eyed him suspiciously.

"Was that Sir Kyle I saw you conversing with?" Max nodded, frowning slightly.

"Yes. He asked after you Bella." Max stared at her pointedly. Isabel tossed her head.

"Do you have a point Maxwell deHarding?" The other three all just looked at her. "Fine." She acknowledged. "I know I should not be encouraging him. It just gets so lonely..." She trailed off, tears appearing in her dark eyes. Max knew that Isabel had no real interest in Sir Kyle deValence. He was just a distraction from her constant feeling of imprisonment at Castle DeHarding. Max decided to change the subject.

"Well, we'll just drop the whole matter and stay out of Sir Kyle's way." He decided aloud. Isabel nodded, and Michael and Tess looked relieved. They were both afraid of strangers to a certain degree. Tess, in particular, feared betrayal of who they were at all times.

Max led the way towards the tourney ground. He pushed his way through the crowd to the stands, securing seats near the front for Isabel and Tess. Tess was bouncing up and down in her seat with excitement, while Isabel was staring down the dirty man seated beside her, who was trying to get a little too close. Michael, as usual, was fiddling with his long-bow, an expression of longing on his face as he eyed the targets being set up on the field. Max knew that Michael was capable of winning the competition, but being the most careful of them all, he would not enter for fear of drawing too much attention to himself.

Neither Michael or Max had chosen to sit in the stands, prefering to lean against a fence closer to the targets. Isabel and Tess were in plain view. It would be easy for Max or Michael to be at their sides in an instant if any sort of trouble arose. Max knew that he could never be too careful with Bella. Her beauty but lack of position made her a constant target whenever she went into public, which was another reason that Lord Edmund refused to allow them to leave Castle deHarding. Tess was pretty enough as well to warrant unpleasant attention from men. The outlaw's attack earlier in the afternoon had only reinforced this.

Despite being on his guard, Max's thoughts began to drift. *Who is Elizabeth deParkeville? * he wondered to himself. How can I know her when I have never before seen her....What can this mean? Just the thought of her made Max's breath catch. She really was the most beautiful thing he had ever seen. Her dark hair had been covered by a transparent veil, but had still managed to catch the light, reflecting red highlights. Her skin had been perfect, not a blemish anywhere, which was almost unheard of. And her eyes....they had reminded him of those of the doe Michael had allowed to escape when the two of them had been hunting a few weeks before. Large and dark and shining with intelligence, he had felt as though they were penetrating his soul.

Max was pulled from his reverie, when Michael elbowed him in the ribs. "Wake up Maxwell! They're about to begin." Max watched the nobles beginning to collect in the gallery reserved for them across from where he and Michael stood. He recognized the Sheriff of Nottingham, who was guiding an elderly lady, presumably Queen Eleanor, to the throne in the centre of the observatory. Max's heart skipped a beat as he recognized the young lady in blue who followed close behind the Queen. Lady Elizabeth took the seat beside the Queen, arranging her skirts gracefully, and smiling when the Queen patted her gently on the cheek.

The crowd quieted as the Sheriff moved to the centre of the tournament field and raised his hands. "Welcome people of Nottingham! We are pleased to welcome Her Grace, the Queen Dowager, to our assembly!" The crowd cheered lustily for the brave Queen, who was a legend in her own time.

"Long live the Queen! Long live King Richard!" The Queen rose with help from Elizabeth and acknowledged the crowd.

The Sheriff again held up his hands. The crowd gradually settled. "The tournament this afternoon is to be an archery competition, as most of you are aware. However, entries have been short, so we have decided to allow a few more competitors to enter the field without registering. The prize is a golden arrow." The crowd began to murmer amongst itself. No one took to the field.

The Sheriff smiled. "Come now gentleman!" When no one moved, the Sheriff continued, "Well, it appears that more incentive is required. Therefore, I would like to make an announcement. My son Sir Kyle de Valence has recently become betrothed." The Sheriff indicated Sir Kyle, who was leaning on his bow near the noble's gallery, the few archery competitors gathered around him. The crowd cheered again and Kyle raised a hand in recognition. "His future wife is to be the beauteous Lady Elizabeth deParkeville."

Max's heart constricted painfully in his chest. She had mentioned that she was betrothed, but he had not realized that it was to Sir Kyle. * How imbecilic are you? * He asked himself bitterly. *Was he not the one who came to lead her away earlier? * Max glanced briefly at Isabel in the stands. He was surprised to see that she was staring at him, assessment in her dark eyes.

Meanwhile, Lady Elizabeth had stood up in the gallery, and was pushed forward by one of the Queen's ladies-in-waiting. Max could not see whether she was blushing from the distance at which he watched her, but he could tell by the stiff way she held herself that she was not happy.

"Lady Elizabeth has graciously agreed," the Sheriff continued, "To present the golden arrow to the winner of the competition...."he paused for effect. "Along with a kiss." A roar went up from the crowd. "Thus, the competion will take place in ten minutes. Any gentlemen who feel that they can earn a prize as wonderful as a kiss from a beautiful lady should present themselves on the field immediately."

Max stood frozen. A kiss from Lady Elizabeth! How could Sir Kyle have agreed to this! Max could see that Elizabeth had retaken her seat. Her hands were clenched in her lap, but she appeared composed. Deep down Max knew that she was not though. He could see her eyes scanning the crowd and was shocked when they suddenly stopped on him.

Even from this distance, he could see her eyes widen. He gazed at her, unable to pull away. Then she gave him a brief nod. And Max deHarding knew exactly what he had to do.

Part 3 | Index | Part 5
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.