FanFic - Other
"Don't Speak"
Part 14
by Jamie Phelps
Disclaimer: Don't own the Characters or the title. Never have, never will. Would love to :-)
Summary: Michael, Max, Maria, Isabel, Liz, Alex, Tess and Kyle's lives seem back on track. With Max and Liz's wedding quickly approaching, all seems perfect. Then the mysterious Jennifer arrives in Roswell and things quickly spiral out of control. Maria leaves Michael, Isabel learns one of the group is keeping a secret, and Max and Liz begin fighting. Taye is drawn to Jennifer, yet doesn't understand why. When Tess questions Jennifer's motives, she disappears. Who is the mysterious Jennifer? And will life as we know it in Roswell ever be the same?
Category: Other
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: Thanks to Cari for helping me come up with a title for this piece. I owe you one! You must have read "Secrets", "The Journey" and "Letting Go" or this fiction will not make sense to you. Please email at jamiep@egyptian.net or see them at Fan Forum if you need the other fictions.
Isabel dropped the keys on the end table and sat down on the couch. She couldn't believe Maria was gone. What was she going to say to Max? Alex? Liz? She knew they'd all wonder where she was. She leaned her head back against the couch. Tears formed in her eyes. Why did Maria have to see Michael dancing with Jennifer? It had sent her over the edge. No more thinking logically for her after that. If only Michael would have been a few minutes earlier.

She wiped her eyes as the phone began to ring. She reached over and picked it up. "Hello?" She asked. "Isabel?" The voice said.

"Maria?" Isabel recognized the voice. "What's wrong? Are you ok?" She could hear her crying in the background. "Maria?"

"I'm sorry." Maria said. "I shouldn't have called." With that, the phone went dead.

Isabel began to shake. Something was wrong. She had to find Maria. She didn't know which way to head. She grabbed the keys and got into the jeep. She couldn't have been more than 20 minutes outside Roswell. She didn't know where she was going so she just turned onto the highway and drove. Millions of questions began running through her mind. What if she was hurt? What if she was lying in a ditch somewhere? What if? There were just too many questions. She focused on the road ahead. Before long she reached the first town. This had to be where she called from, Isabel thought. It had taken her almost 15 minutes to get there. She drove slowly down the main street through town. No sign of the Jetta anywhere. It was possible that Isabel hadn't even went the right way. As she passed the park she saw a lone figure sitting on the park bench. As she looked in the rearview mirror she noticed the car parked on the street. It was Maria. She slammed on the breaks and did a U-turn on the highway. She parked the jeep next to Maria's car and walked over to her.

"So are you going to tell me what this is about?" Isabel asked, sitting down beside her.

Maria turned to Isabel. There were tears streaming down her face.

Isabel pulled her into a hug. "It's ok. What's wrong?" She comforted. "Come on, I'll take you back home. We'll get your car tomorrow."

Maria pulled away. "I can't go back. There is nothing left for me there. It would hurt too much to see Michael, don't you think it hurts bad enough that I'm carrying his child."

"Maria you don't mean that." Isabel said, trying to calm her down. "You love that baby more than life itself. And I think that's why you called tonight. I felt something from you and it had to do with the baby. Am I right?"

Maria slowly shook her head. "I just wish things were different. That this baby was going to be loved by both of it's parents."

"You don't know what Michael will do until you give him a chance." Isabel pleaded. "You know he came looking for you tonight?"

"Why?" Maria asked, getting defensive. "So he could explain why he had to dance with that girl? So he could make more excuses for our relationship? For what exactly? It's over for good this time. There's nothing that can save it. And as for this baby, it's not going to know its father."

Isabel put her hand on Maria's shoulder. "He wanted to talk it out. He wanted to apologize."

"Is that what he told you? Michael doesn't have "apology" in his vocabulary." She said coldly.

"You can't just not tell him about the baby." Isabel said. "He'll find out sooner or later. You'll have it and he'll find out."

Maria looked down. "I know." She said, beginning to cry again. "I just wish.I wish he was here right now. That he was here to tell me everything would be ok. You know, if he would have followed you here, or came here with you I would have forgave him in a heartbeat. Nothing that happened tonight would have mattered. But he didn't. And I'm here with you and my baby. That says something doesn't it?" Maria looked at Isabel. "Doesn't it?"

"He didn't know I was coming." Isabel tried to defend. "You didn't want anyone to know where you were going."

"That's not my point." Maria sighed. "He would have felt something. He would have known you were coming to find me. Why do you think I stayed put. I could feel you from the time you left your house until you got here. That 's how you found me. You just knew. It's the same way with him. If he really wanted to talk this out, he'd have found me tonight."

Isabel smiled. "I'm sorry, Maria."

She wiped her eyes. "There's nothing to be sorry about. It's his loss. I gave him a second chance and he didn't take it." She stood up. "I better get going. I want to make it there by tomorrow night."

Isabel walked her to the car. "Do you have money?" She asked.

"Enough to get there." Maria smiled.

Isabel reached into her pocket and pulled out a fifty. "Don't ask, just take it, ok."

Maria smiled. She hugged Isabel and got into the car. "I love you."

A tear slid down Isabel's face. "Love you, too."

"Thanks for coming out here." She said, putting the car into drive.

"Your welcome. Be careful and call me when you get there.or anytime else you need to talk on the way.just give me time and I'll be there!" Isabel smiled.

"You know why I really called you?" Maria said.

Isabel looked at her oddly. "Why?"

"Cause I felt the baby move. Our baby. I couldn't call Michael. I've never felt more happy, scared and sad all at the same time." Maria smiled, touching her belly. "The only person I knew would understand was you. So I called."

"I knew it." Isabel said. "I felt the baby move inside me too."

Maria looked at Isabel awkwardly. "How is that possible?" She asked.

"I don't know." Isabel said. "It just was."

Maria smiled. "I'll call you as soon as I get to Phoenix." She said. She rolled up her window and left.

Isabel watched as her lights disappeared down the highway, until they were out of sight. She turned around and sat down on the bench. She didn't know how she was going to deal without Maria around, but it was good to know that they were still connected. Isabel could feel everything Maria was feeling, including her pain over Michael. Her head turned as a car pulled up next to the jeep.

"Where's she at?" Michael asked, getting out of the car. "I know you were going to meet her." He sat down beside her.

Why couldn't Michael's timing be just a little better? "What took you so long?" Isabel asked. "Have to drop a girl off?"

"No!" He said. "Drop it ok? It was a mistake. I shouldn't have been dancing with her. It's just.Alex wanted me to have fun and Jennifer and I just kind of clicked. Isabel I swear not a single romantic thought even entered my mind with her."

"You don't have to explain that to me." Isabel said, coldly.

"That's why I'm here." He said. "To tell Maria that I'm sorry. I didn't know it'd hurt her for me to dance with someone else."

"It did." Isabel said. She stood up. "Do you know if you'd have been here 5 minutes ago she's have taken you back. Would have gotten into that car with you and went back to Roswell." Isabel shook her head. "But you weren' t here."

"I had to find a car!" Michael said, slamming his fist into the bench. He let out a yell and then saw the blood. He'd busted his hand open.

Isabel turned around and went over too him. She knew Michael was hurting just as bad as Maria was. She was about the only thing that kept Michael going anymore. Even though he had his sister and brother, his life revolved around Maria. "Let me see that."

Michael pulled his hand away. "Leave me alone!" He said. "I can take care of it."

Isabel just ignored him. She pulled his hand back over to her and healed it. "There." Isabel said. "Good as new."

Michael looked down at his hand. "Thank you."

"You're welcome." She said, standing up again. "Listen, don't give up just yet. I have a feeling she'll be back."

Michael just shook his head. "You sure you don't know where she's going?" Isabel could see the hurt in his eyes. She almost told him, but then remembered her promise. "I'm sure. But I know she'll be back. She needs time."

She walked him over to the car. "I'll see you back in Roswell ok?" Isabel asked.

Michael shook his head. "I think I'm just going to drive a bit. Maybe I'll find her."

"Take care of yourself, ok." Isabel ran her hand down his arm. "She just needs to find what she's looking for. You guys would be together otherwise. Time is intervening."

Michael stood and watched as Isabel drove away. Maybe she was right? Maybe Maria had to find what she was looking for before they could be together. But he knew he couldn't give up. He got into the car and started the engine. He wouldn't give up until he had a chance to talk to her. To tell her how he really felt. He knew it was a long shot of finding her as he pulled on to the highway. But it was a risk he was willing to take.

Part 13 | Index | Part 15
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.