FanFic - Other
"Don't Speak"
Part 24
by Jamie Phelps
Disclaimer: Don't own the Characters or the title. Never have, never will. Would love to :-)
Summary: Michael, Max, Maria, Isabel, Liz, Alex, Tess and Kyle's lives seem back on track. With Max and Liz's wedding quickly approaching, all seems perfect. Then the mysterious Jennifer arrives in Roswell and things quickly spiral out of control. Maria leaves Michael, Isabel learns one of the group is keeping a secret, and Max and Liz begin fighting. Taye is drawn to Jennifer, yet doesn't understand why. When Tess questions Jennifer's motives, she disappears. Who is the mysterious Jennifer? And will life as we know it in Roswell ever be the same?
Category: Other
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: Thanks to Cari for helping me come up with a title for this piece. I owe you one! You must have read "Secrets", "The Journey" and "Letting Go" or this fiction will not make sense to you. Please email at jamiep@egyptian.net or see them at Fan Forum if you need the other fictions.
Isabel drove along in silence. Maria had long since fallen asleep. It allowed Isabel all the time in the world to digest what Maria had said. There was no way she could be pregnant. She and Alex hadn't slept together in months. Way before Maria even left. It was just impossible. Maybe the connection had transferred the image of the baby that Isabel saw to Maria. It could have been her own child she was seeing. Isabel didn't know. She was so confused.

"Maria." She said, gently shaking her. "Wake up. We need to talk."

Maria woke slowly from her sleep. She hadn't slept that well since she'd left Roswell.

"What's wrong?" Maria asked straightening herself up.

Isabel shook her head. "I just can't get over what you said to me. How can I be pregnant? I'm not even showing."

Maria touched her belly. "When was the last time you and Alex were together?" She asked, smiling.

"Before you left." She began. "Right after we got Grady."

Maria reached her hand over to Isabel's stomach. "Can I try connecting again?" She asked.

Isabel nodded. She knew that if Maria saw the baby again it would mean that she was pregnant. There was no way she'd be seeing her own baby.

A smile formed on Maria's face when she saw the baby. She couldn't figure out why Isabel wasn't showing though. She broke the connection and sat back.

"Well?" Isabel asked, probing for information.

"You're still pregnant." Maria smiled.

Isabel let her emotions overcome her. It didn't make sense. "How far along am I?" She asked. She didn't know what she was going to say to Alex. She couldn't be more than 2-3 months along.

"That's what I don't get." Maria began. "I can see the baby and its fully developed. From all indications I would say you're about as far along as I am, if not further. I guess you not showing has something to do with you being alien. The baby doesn't need as much room."

Now she was making some sense. If she was eight months pregnant then it'd be a lot easier to explain to Alex. "So I'm due anytime?" She asked. Isabel thought for a while. "Come to think of it, I did experience some pregnancy symptoms a while back. They didn't last long so I wrote them off as the flu."

Maria smiled. "Think again sister friend. You so did not have the flu."

Isabel laughed as she exited the interstate and began the last 15 minutes to Roswell. "Are you excited yet?" She asked.

Maria shook her head. "I think I'm going to throw up."

Isabel reached over and touched her hand. "It'll be ok." She said. "I'm here for you all the way, no matter what."

"I know." Maria said. "I just keep thinking about Michael. I still don't think he'll ever forgive me for leaving and not telling him about the baby."

"You guys need to talk." Isabel said.

"I know." Maria said, shifting her weight in the seat. "Can I ask you a huge favor?"

Isabel shook her head. "Anything."

"Can I borrow your cell phone to call Michael's? I want to talk to either Tess or Taye." Maria said.

Isabel looked strangely at her sister but handed her the phone anyway. She watched as Maria dialed the number.

"Tess?" She said into the phone. A feeling of calmness overtook her body when she realized Michael hadn't answered. "It's Maria."

"I'm fine. No! Please don't. Not yet." The terror rose in her voice. She began to calm down. "Thank you. Could I get you and Taye to be gone in about ten minutes? Thank you so much. I missed you too. Talk to you later. Bye." Maria clicked the cell phone off and handed it back to Isabel.

"What was that all about?" Isabel asked.

Maria set back and put her hand on her stomach. She felt as though she was going to throw up. She wasn't sure why she'd decided to do what she was about to do. "Could you drop me off at Michael's?" She asked. "I'm afraid I'll chicken out if I don't see him now.

Isabel nodded her head. "Are you sure about this?" She asked. "It's a big step you know?"

Maria smiled. "I'm positive. But you have to leave. If you stay I'll be tempted to leave. Without wheels I can't go anywhere. Besides, you need to get home and tell Alex the good news."

Isabel laughed as she pictured Alex's face. She knew he'd be excited. "Alright." She said. "But call me if you need anything."

Maria looked up and noticed they had finally made it to Roswell. The sick feeling began to burn in her stomach but she pushed it aside. She had to do this now.

Isabel stopped in front of the apartment. "Good Luck." She said reaching over and hugging Maria. "I'll talk to you tomorrow."

"Ok." She said getting out of the jeep. She started towards the apartment then stopped. "Hey, Isabel!" She yelled.

Isabel looked up. "What?"

"Thanks." Maria smiled.

A grin formed across Isabel's face. It was good to have Maria back. "You' re welcome." She said, pulling away.

Maria turned around and slowly finished the walk to Michael's apartment. In a few minutes she'd be seeing him face to face. He'd know about her secret, about the baby. She hoped he could forgive her. Slowly she raised her hand, knocking on the door.

Part 23 | Index | Part 25
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.