FanFic - Other
"Don't Speak"
Part 27
by Jamie Phelps
Disclaimer: Don't own the Characters or the title. Never have, never will. Would love to :-)
Summary: Michael, Max, Maria, Isabel, Liz, Alex, Tess and Kyle's lives seem back on track. With Max and Liz's wedding quickly approaching, all seems perfect. Then the mysterious Jennifer arrives in Roswell and things quickly spiral out of control. Maria leaves Michael, Isabel learns one of the group is keeping a secret, and Max and Liz begin fighting. Taye is drawn to Jennifer, yet doesn't understand why. When Tess questions Jennifer's motives, she disappears. Who is the mysterious Jennifer? And will life as we know it in Roswell ever be the same?
Category: Other
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: Thanks to Cari for helping me come up with a title for this piece. I owe you one! You must have read "Secrets", "The Journey" and "Letting Go" or this fiction will not make sense to you. Please email at jamiep@egyptian.net or see them at Fan Forum if you need the other fictions.
Tess, Taye, Liz and Max sat quietly at the table in the Crashdown. Business had slowed down so they were the only ones left.

Liz was stretched back lying on Max. They'd agreed to tell everyone about the baby. Liz hadn't told Max that she'd told Isabel. She figured Isabel wouldn't give it away anyway. Somehow Liz felt special that she was carrying another baby. She knew that each child she had could possibly inherit Max's gifts. In a way she felt that would always keep she and Max together. She couldn't wait to tell the others.

"Where did you say Michael was?" Max asked. He was more than eager to get the meeting going. He'd promised his mom that they'd pick Jacey up before 9:00 PM.

Tess shrugged her shoulders. "I'm sure he'll be here soon." She said. "Besides, Alex and Isabel aren't here yet either."

Max made a strange noise. "They probably won't be coming." He began. "Last time I checked Isabel still hadn't returned. I don't know what's going on with her. She's been so secretive lately, even Alex is worried."

The bells on the Crashdown door jingled and in walked Alex and Isabel. Alex 's hands were on her shoulders guiding her to the table. She smiled as she sat down.

"Where the hell have you been?" Max asked, half pissed and half relieved.

"You'll see." She said reaching over and kissing Alex gently on the lips. She turned to Liz and winked. "I've got a surprise for everyone."

"Really." Liz began. "Because I.we have a surprise too!"

Isabel smiled. She knew her surprise was going to be bigger than Liz having another baby. Nobody expected Maria to be back.

The door to the Crashdown opened again but no one bothered to look up. The footsteps came closer and closer to the table. There was no mistaken who the person was.

Tess looked up. "Kyle?" She said. She stood up and quickly went to him. Their arms held each other for the longest time. Kyle let go and gently placed a kiss on her lips. "When did you get back?" She asked.

"About an hour ago. Took my things home and come looking for you. I didn't get any response at Michael's house. Dad told me to try here. He said something about a special meeting." He reached down and took Tess's hand "What's going on?" He asked.

"We have to wait on Michael." Tess said sitting down. Kyle pulled up another chair and did the same thing. "I promise he'll be here soon."

Just then the door opened for its third time in less than 30 minutes. Michael walked slowly over to them. He raised his hand and rubbed the corner or his eye with his middle finger.

"It's about time." Max said pushing the chair out for him with his foot." We were supposed to start 20 minutes ago."

Michael just stared at Max. He was too happy right now to have Max's comments dash it.

Isabel was worried. Michael could see it in her eyes. He smiled a gentle reassuring smile and Isabel smiled back. She knew everything was ok.

"I brought someone with me." He said to the group. "I want to know if she can come in?"

Max became very cross. "No Michael, you can't." He began. "It can't be anymore than the eight of us. You know that."

Michael smiled. "Oh well. She's here now so I can't exactly turn her away." He walked back over to the Crashdown door and opened it.

Self-consciously, Maria walked through the door. Michael grabbed her hand and together they walked to the table.

"Maria?" Max asked. It was obvious he was in total shock.

Michael grabbed another chair from a table and let Maria sit down. "Hi guys." She placed her hand over her stomach. "Before you ask, no I didn't eat myself this big." She smiled. "I'm pregnant."

Liz stood up and hugged Maria. "I'm so glad you're back. When did you get back? When are you due?" She was happy to see Maria back even thought she knew her news wouldn't be near as special now.

"I got back this afternoon." She began. "Thanks to Isabel. She's a great voice of reason. I'm due anytime actually. It's just a waiting game now."

"And it's mine." Michael grinned. He was so happy he could burst.

"Why didn't you call or tell me about the baby?" Liz asked, feeling hurt. "You were pregnant before you left. None of us knew."

"I knew." Isabel said. "I was with her the day she found out." She was trying to stick up for Maria.

"Don't you feel special?" Liz said, forcing a smile. In a way she wished Isabel wouldn't have returned. She couldn't believe Maria had told Isabel long before anyone else. "I bet you knew where she was all this time too, didn't you?" She asked sarcastically.

"Easy Liz." Alex said stretching. "Retract your claws a little bit."

Isabel placed her hand on his arm to keep him from going any further. "What does that have to do with the baby?" She asked. "Yes I did know where she was and I did know about the baby and I talked to her everyday." She paused. "But that had nothing to do with me not telling you." She looked at the group. "Any of you."

"You talked to her?" Liz's voice rose. "God I cannot believe this. What kind of person are you to hide this from us. We didn't know if she was dead or alive."

"Liz." Max started.

She shot a quick shut-the-hell-up look at him and continued. "You weren't the only friend she had. And how could you keep her from Michael?"

"Liz." Max said more forceful.

"No Max." Liz said shaking her head. "I wanna know what the hell she was thinking. Michael had every reason to know where Maria was and that she was pregnant. Do you feel proud of yourself, Is? Keeping her all to yourself so none of the other people that love her could help. That is so pathetic."

"LIZ!" Max and Michael said at the same time.

"Now you're sitting her letting Max and Michael take care of your problems. You know what? You're just a selfish little person."

Maria had had enough. Isabel had only respected Maria's wishes and now she was taking this crap form Liz. "Just stop, Liz." Maria began. "Leave her alone."

"Maria, it's ok." Isabel started.

She shot her sister a look. "No this is not ok. Liz did you even stop to think that maybe I asked Isabel not say anything? That I didn't want anyone finding me or knowing about the baby? Did you ever consider my feelings?" Tears were running down her face.

"But." Liz searched for the right words. "Why didn't you come to me? Why did you ask for Isabel's help instead?"

Before she'd even finished her sentence she knew what was wrong with Liz. She looked towards Isabel and saw her gently nod her head. That had been why Isabel wasn't saying anything to Liz. Liz was jealous of Isabel.

"There are a number of reason's I told Isabel." Maria began. "Number one is she's an alien. You and Max have a child but you're human. I'm part alien and there was no way our pregnancies could be similar. In fact this has been very different from a normal pregnancy. I didn't even start showing until late last month." She looked at Isabel. She'd left that small detail out when she'd talked to her. "The second reason I didn't tell you is because I know you would have told Max. Don't say you wouldn't have. I know you too well Liz. By now I'd be willing to bet everyone at this table would have known."

"Not me." Kyle said. "I've been gone."

"Only a few months." Tess said, moving closer to him. "Besides, I'd have told you anyway."

"That's my point." Maria continued. "Everyone would have known without hearing it from me. The other reason I didn't come to you is because I needed to form a connection. I couldn't have Max or Michael do it and with Tess and Taye being Michael's family, I didn't feel they could do it either."

"So you just don't need me." Liz said, looking down.

"Liz, no!" She began. "You are and always will be my best friend. We've known each other forever. Just try and remember I'm not totally like you. Isabel is my sister and best friend. I'm sorry if I've been leaving you out. It's just with the alien stuff I go to Isabel."

Liz felt totally bad for starting in on Isabel. "I'm sorry, Is." She began. "I didn't know." Her words trailed off.

Isabel swallowed the lump that had formed in her throat and smiled. "Hey, don't worry about it. I'd have done the same thing if I were in your shoes." She paused a moment. "I didn't mean to make you feel like I'm hogging Maria. I've never had a sister before. I guess I'm just making up for lost time."

Liz smiled. "Friends again?" She asked.

"Always were." Isabel replied.

"While were on the subject of surprises." Max began.

"Who said anything about surprises?" Taye asked. He knew what Max was talking about. Who'd have ever thought Liz would go off like that?

Liz smiled. "That's right," She began. "Max and I have something to tell everyone." She reached over and picked up his hand. "In about eight months from now we are going to have another baby."

Alex, Tess, Michael, Taye and Kyle's mouth's fell open. They couldn't believe what they were hearing. Isabel was smiling. How cool was it that they were all pregnant together?

Maria smiled. "Congratulations!" She said excitedly. "Just think, all of our kids will be the same age."

"All?" Taye asked. He turned to Tess. "Is there something you haven't shared with your brothers?" He looked at Kyle.

"Hey man, don't look at me! I never laid a hand on her." He defended.

"Believe me, Taye." Tess began. "I'm not pregnant. I would be making your life a living hell if I were." She smiled.

"I guess Maria would be referring to me." Isabel said slowly. "I feel like I'm at an AA meeting. Hi, my name is Isabel Evans and I'm pregnant with Alex Whitman's child."

Everyone laughed.

"When are you due?" Liz asked, wondering how much difference was between she and Isabel.

"Actually probably anytime. Maria connected to me and saw I was pregnant. The baby is fully developed." Isabel said. "We just aren't showing for some reason."

"Until our last month of pregnancy." Maria added. "I think that is how you know you're about to deliver."

"This is so cool." Tess began. "But I feel so left out."

"Well." Kyle began, smiling.

"Don't even think about it deputy." Tess started. "You just keep that gun in its holster or we're gonna have problems." Tess smiled.

Kyle's face became flushed and red. He forced a smile but secretly wanted to crawl under the table and hide. "You're just afraid you can't handle me." Kyle fired back.

"Oh yeah?" Tess retorted. "Well this girl has -"

"Ok!" Michael said before Tess could finish her sentence. "I don't want to hear what you were about to say." He said looking at Tess. "I'm gonna have nightmares now as is."

"I want to." Alex said smiling.

"You would." Isabel said jabbing her elbow into his side.

Max sat up in the booth. "Why did you call us here Michael?" He asked.

The air in the Crashdown became thick with silence. "You said it was important." Liz reminded him.

"It is." Michael began. "Tess, Taye, correct me if I say anything wrong." He drew in his breath and slowly exhaled. "Jennifer told Taye she is one of us. She knew about Aardon and even about Maria being part alien. She said she was here to warn us. Ian wasn't happy when we left. He's vowed revenge and wants us dead. She claims he has sent people here looking for us, but we are hard to find. She found us by connecting to Taye." Michael watched their faces. "When she was talking to Tess later on, she mentioned something about needing all of our strengths to defeat what was to come. She also said we'd need her. No one has heard from her since." He watched as each person digested the information.

"Max," Liz said. "What are we going to do?"

Max had to admit he didn't know what to do. "Alex, Liz and Kyle are safe." He began. "They don't know the humans exist in our lives. I don't know whether to believe her or not."

"Max," Tess began. "I know this may not matter, but I have to say it. Jennifer and I started off on the wrong foot. I didn't like her. For some reason though, I believed she was telling the truth. I could feel it."

Taye nodded. "I believe her too."

Max thought a moment. "If Jennifer is right," Max began. "Then Michael, Taye, Isabel, Tess, Maria and I should be fearing for our lives."

"We have to be careful who we become friends with." Michael added. "Be suspicious of anyone new."

The silence became heavy again. Everyone knew that this was big.

"We'll get through this, together." Max said slowly, looking at the group. "All twelve of us."

"Twelve?" Liz asked.

"I'm counting Jacey and the three unborn babies too." He said. "We're all in danger."

Part 26 | Index | Part 28
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.