FanFic - Other
"Don't Speak"
Part 28
by Jamie Phelps
Disclaimer: Don't own the Characters or the title. Never have, never will. Would love to :-)
Summary: Michael, Max, Maria, Isabel, Liz, Alex, Tess and Kyle's lives seem back on track. With Max and Liz's wedding quickly approaching, all seems perfect. Then the mysterious Jennifer arrives in Roswell and things quickly spiral out of control. Maria leaves Michael, Isabel learns one of the group is keeping a secret, and Max and Liz begin fighting. Taye is drawn to Jennifer, yet doesn't understand why. When Tess questions Jennifer's motives, she disappears. Who is the mysterious Jennifer? And will life as we know it in Roswell ever be the same?
Category: Other
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: Thanks to Cari for helping me come up with a title for this piece. I owe you one! You must have read "Secrets", "The Journey" and "Letting Go" or this fiction will not make sense to you. Please email at jamiep@egyptian.net or see them at Fan Forum if you need the other fictions.
In the weeks that followed, Isabel too began showing. Maria had been right on the money when she'd said that they didn't show until near their due date. Isabel was always tired. She couldn't believe that less than two weeks ago she didn't even know she was pregnant. It seemed she got tired very easily. She made her way over to the end table and picked up the keys to the jeep. Grady needed dog food and there was no one else around to get it.

As she was walking out the door, the phone began to ring. She stopped and turned around, grabbing it on the fourth ring.

"Hello?" She said, slowly trying to catch her breath. It didn't take long before she realized who it was.

"Maria, what's wrong?" She asked. "Where's Michael?" Isabel tried to calm her down. "Ok, hey.it'll be ok. I'm on my way over." She thought she heard Maria crying. "It'll be ok." With that she hung up.

She picked up the phone again and dialed Alex's number. She didn't know who else to call. On the second ring he picked.

"Hello?" He said.

"Alex, it's me." She began. "Maria just called. She can't find Michael and she thinks she's having the baby."

"What!" Alex exclaimed.

"She just called. She said that she thought the baby was coming." Isabel paused. "I know you helped Liz when she had Jacey.I was wondering if you could help Maria."

Alex didn't know what to say. He'd delivered Jacey only because they couldn 't go to the doctor. He knew Maria was in the same situation. It just seemed all to weird that he was delivering their babies. He wasn't a doctor.

"Alex, please." Isabel pleaded.

"Alright, I'll met you at.where did she call from?" Alex asked.

Isabel reached over and checked the caller ID. "She's at Michael's." She said. "I'll see you at his apartment in a few minutes."

"Ok." Alex said as Isabel hung up the phone.

She picked it back up and dialed one more number.

"Hello?" The voice said.

"Liz, it's time." Isabel said. "Can you leave?"

"Did she call?" Liz asked.

"Yeah, just a few minutes ago. Be ready, I'm coming by to get you. Is Max there?" Isabel was growing impatient.

"Yeah, I'll be ready." She said.

"Tell Max to call around and try to find Michael. Maria doesn't know where he is. She's stressing out a little bit." Isabel said. "I'll see you in a few."

She hung up the phone and went to the jeep. She never even saw the speed limit signs as she made her way over to Liz's. She was waiting in front of their apartment.

"I didn't know who else to call." Isabel began. "I know she can't go to the hospital. You have been through this with Alex's help. I'm hoping the two of you can help her too."

Liz shook her head. She knew Isabel was worried. Not only for Maria, but she knew she'd be going through the same thing very soon. Liz reached down and touched her stomach. She knew her pregnancy was totally different than Isabel and Maria. In a way, she didn't know if she and Alex would be much help. "We can try." Liz began. "It could be a different delivery than I had. We're going to do everything we can to make sure it's as normal as possible."

In no time Isabel and Liz were parked in front of Michael's apartment. Alex arrived not long after. The three of them walked into the apartment without knocking. Tess was sitting next to Maria trying to calm her down.

"I can't get her to breath." Tess began. "She's almost hyperventilating. We've got to calm her down."

Isabel walked right over to Maria and put her arms around her. "Look at me." She began. "Maria, you have to look at me. Focus on my eyes."

Maria's eyes found Isabel's. She allowed Isabel to form a connection until their heartbeats became one. She could feel Isabel trying to slow down her breaths. Slowly she regained composure and Isabel broke the connection. "Where's Michael?" She asked.

"Max is working on that." Liz said from behind Alex. "He'll have him here soon."

"I don't think soon is soon enough!" Maria said.

Alex could see the desperation in Maria's face. "How do you feel?" He asked.

She looked at him and forced a smile. "Pretty good, wanna go to UFOnics?" She asked sarcastically.

"Hmm..still a sense of humor. That's a good sign." He said. "Seriously, how do you feel?"

Maria didn't know. She had no clue what she would feel like before she had the baby. "There's a lot of pressure." She began. "That's all I can say."

Alex looked at Liz. So far everything was the same as it'd been with Liz. If it was the same, Maria's water would break next. He turned to Tess. "Go grab me some towels and a couple blankets. I also need a pillow, a glass of water, a wash rag and a bologna sandwich." He said.

Tess looked at him strangely. "A bologna sandwich?" She asked. "What's that for?"

Alex smiled. "I didn't get supper."

Maria let out a small giggle. She had to admit she was glad Isabel, Alex, Liz and Tess were there. But where was Michael? She wanted him there when his baby was born.

Tess disappeared into the back and returned with everything Alex had asked for.including the bologna sandwich.

He laughed. "I was just kidding." He said taking the sandwich. "Maria, you want it?"

She shook her head. "No, I just want Michael here and this baby out!" She demanded.

Isabel sat down beside Maria and grabbed her hand. "He'll be here." She said trying to convince herself as much as she was trying to convince Maria. "I know he will. He wouldn't miss this for anything."

Maria's face changed so quickly that Isabel knew it was time. "Maria?"

"Oh god, I think my water just broke!" She said.

Alex was on his feet in a second. "After Liz's water broke she had the baby not long after. Maybe ten minutes." He said. "I've got to get you ready."

"Is this legal?" Maria shouted. "Doesn't this violate some friendship code? You aren't supposed to see me." Maria yelled. She was definitely trying to stay focused but was having a hard time.

"It's ok." Alex said. "No pleasure is taken." He smiled.

Maria tried to force a grin through the pain. "Good to know." She said.

He turned to Liz and Tess. "Liz, I want you to come over and get her other hand. Tess, go wait outside. Watch for Michael. Actually, call Max and see if he's found Michael." His voice barely was above a whisper. "She's having this baby now."

Alex positioned himself to deliver the baby. "Ok, Maria. You're gonna have to push. I know it hurts, but that's the only way your going to have this baby."

"Squeeze my hand." Isabel said.

"Mine too." Liz said, half shaking. "It helps, believe me."

Isabel knew what she had to do. She couldn't let Maria deal with all the pain. She had to help her concentrate. When she began to push, Isabel was going to form a connection and help.

"Alright," Alex began. "I think I can see the baby's head."

"Whoa, wait a second. Wait on me!" Michael burst through the door followed by Max and Tess. He ran over to Maria and brushed the loose strand of hair off her face. "You didn't think I'd miss this did you?" He asked placing a kiss on her forehead.

She smiled at him. "Where the hell have you been?" She said jokingly. "We 're not waiting."

"No time for small talk." Alex interrupted. "Michael, I need your help."

Michael stood beside Alex. He couldn't believe what he was seeing. He could see the baby's head, his baby. He never thought he would want kids. After Jacey was born, he began to change his mind. Then when Maria told him she was pregnant, his heart melted. He couldn't wait to be a father.

"Here," Alex said. "Hold this."

Alex put several blankets into his arms. "What are these for?" He asked.

"I'm going to put the baby there when she has it." He said. He looked up at Maria. "Alright, this should be it. One more push and you should be baby free."

The room became quiet as they all waited for the cry to pierce the room. Seconds later it did. Alex quickly cut the cord and placed the baby in Michael's arms.

Michael looked down at the baby. He couldn't believe he was holding his child. He felt something inside him that he'd only felt one other time. The day he met Maria.

"Oh my god!" He said, trying to conceal a grin.

"Michael what is it?" Maria asked concerned. "Is the baby alright?"

Michael walked slowly towards Maria. "It's got three eyes!"

"WHAT!" Maria exclaimed.

Michael slowly lowered himself down to Maria's level, being very careful with the baby. "I'm just kidding. It's a perfectly healthy baby."

Maria took one look at the baby and fell in love. So that was what had been growing inside her all those months. She reached over and touched the baby' s cheek.

"Here." Michael said, handing the baby to Maria. He brushed her hair back off her face and kissed her forehead. "This is perfect." He said.

"Too perfect." Maria said quietly.

"Well I hate to interrupt this moment, but the only ones who know what the baby is are Michael and Alex. Would you guys mind sharing with the rest of us?" Max asked.

Isabel was looking over Maria's shoulder. She had been right. When she had connected to Maria she'd seen what the baby was. Just looking at the baby now she knew. She could feel the excitement Maria felt and also how tired she was. In a way, she began to look forward to having her baby.

Michael reached over and whispered into Maria's ear. A smile spread across her face. She touched the baby's cheek. When her eyes caught Isabel's she smiled. "You knew didn't you?" She asked.

Isabel smiled. "How could I not?"

"What is it?!?" Max, Liz and Tess asked at the same time.

Maria smiled. She knew she was making them all suffer. She turned the baby so everyone could see it. "I'd like you all to meet our daughter." Michael said slowly.

Maria smiled again, making eye contact with Michael. He nodded. "Logan Elizabeth." She finished.

Part 27 | Index | Part 29
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.