FanFic - Other
"Don't Speak"
Part 29
by Jamie Phelps
Disclaimer: Don't own the Characters or the title. Never have, never will. Would love to :-)
Summary: Michael, Max, Maria, Isabel, Liz, Alex, Tess and Kyle's lives seem back on track. With Max and Liz's wedding quickly approaching, all seems perfect. Then the mysterious Jennifer arrives in Roswell and things quickly spiral out of control. Maria leaves Michael, Isabel learns one of the group is keeping a secret, and Max and Liz begin fighting. Taye is drawn to Jennifer, yet doesn't understand why. When Tess questions Jennifer's motives, she disappears. Who is the mysterious Jennifer? And will life as we know it in Roswell ever be the same?
Category: Other
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: Thanks to Cari for helping me come up with a title for this piece. I owe you one! You must have read "Secrets", "The Journey" and "Letting Go" or this fiction will not make sense to you. Please email at jamiep@egyptian.net or see them at Fan Forum if you need the other fictions.
Maria looked down at the baby in her arms. She couldn't believe that a week ago it was still inside her. Now, she was sleeping in her mother's arms. Maria smiled at the thought. She never thought she would be so happy to be a mom.

Michael was being very supportive too. He'd hardly left her side since she had Logan. He was almost being too nice. She knew it couldn't last forever. She was going to milk it for all it was worth though while she could.

"Michael." She called. A few seconds later Michael appeared at the door.

"What?" He asked, leaning against the frame.

"Come here." She said.

Michael made his way over to the couch and sat down. He reached over and touched Logan's head and kissed Maria. "What is it?" He asked. "Is she ok?"

"She fine." Maria grinned. "I just wanted you by me."

A smile spread across Michael's face. They were getting along so great. He thought about the day Logan was born. He'd been looking at engagement rings. When Max had found him he thought he'd be too late. He feared he wouldn't be there for Maria. He felt his heart ache again at the thought. He would always be there for Maria and Logan. He leaned back on the couch and pulled Maria too him. She rested her head on his chest and held Logan between them. Michael kissed the back of her head. He couldn't explain how he was feeling at that very moment. The two women he loved most in the world were right with him. Everything felt right. Nothing was going to interrupt them.

"Brrrrrring!" Both Michael and Maria jumped at the sound of the phone.

Maria stood up and handed Logan to Michael. He laid down on the couch and put her on his chest.

"Hello?" Maria said, catching it on the third ring.

"Maria, it's Alex." He began.

Maria's face grew concerned. She knew why he was calling. "Is she having it?" She asked.

"Yeah." Alex answered. "But, she's having a very hard time. She won't let me anywhere near her. It's like.like she's a whole different person. I don 't know what to do. The baby is in trouble. She keeps telling me that, but then won't let me near her."

"Ok, Alex." She listened for the sound of his breath but didn't hear it. "Alex?"

"Sorry, she was throwing things at me and I was ducking." He began. "What were you - OUCH, Isabel.damn it that hurt!"

Maria stifled a laugh. She could only picture what was going on. "Alex where are you?" "We're at Izzy's house." He said, sounding tired. "I've tired. I can't get her to calm down."

"We'll be right over." Maria said, then added. "Be careful."

"Very funny." Alex said in mock humor. "Bye."

Maria hung up the phone and turned to Michael. He looked so good holding Logan. Her heart began to beat faster and a smile formed across her face. But she knew there wasn't time to think about that. "It's time. Could you take me to Isabel's?" She asked.

"What about Logan?" He said, standing up.

"She's going too. Grab her bag off the counter." She took the baby from Michael. "Hurry, we don't have much time."

Michael grabbed Logan's bag off the counter and returned to the living room. "Is something wrong?"

"From the way it sounded Isabel was beating up Alex." Maria grinned. "Come on, let's go."

Michael found his keys, locked the door and opened the car. Maria placed Logan in her car seat. It was the first time she'd ever been in a car. It was cute how she was still sleeping peacefully.

Michael got into the drivers seat and Maria beside him. "Go, Go, Go!" She said.

"Damn, Woman! Chill." Michael smiled as he threw the car into drive. Within minutes they were at Isabel's.

"Grab Logan." Maria said, kissing him on the cheek. "And stay back. From what Alex was saying Is isn't very coherent."

Michael watched as she rushed into the house. He turned around and unbuckled Logan. "Your mommy is so funny." He said, carrying the car seat in with him. He knew she couldn't hear him, but he liked talking to her. "I bet you're going to be just like her. You're going to freak out about every little thing. But when you do it you're going to be so cute about it. You'll be a heartbreaker just like your mom." He smiled and entered the door.

"Duck!" Alex shouted.

Michael just managed to move out of the way of a flying shoe. "What did you do Alex?" He asked.

Alex shook his head. "I don't know. She's been like this for hours now. I don't know what's wrong. I just left Maria in there."

Maria walked over and sat down beside Isabel. "Hey," She began. "What's wrong with you?"

Isabel glared at Maria. "I didn't ask for this! I'm not ready. I don't want a baby. Keep him away!"

Maria moved closer to Isabel and touched her forehead. "It'll be ok. Remember, you helped me with Logan. I'm going to help you now. But we need Alex. He's the only one that can help you. If the baby's in trouble." She let her words trail off. "Please, Is, let Alex help."

Isabel shook her head. "I don't want him to."

Maria didn't know what was going on. Something inside Isabel had changed. She could feel it. She reached down and touched her stomach. Instantly a connection saw formed. The baby was in distress. She knew it that they only had a few more minutes before a cesarean delivery would be necessary. She broke the connection and looked Isabel right in the eye. "Isabel, listen to me." She was trying to hold back her tears. "If you don't let Alex deliver this baby now, you aren't going to have a baby."

At that moment everything seemed to register with Isabel. She looked at Maria. "Where's Alex?" She asked. She slowly began to panic. "Where is he? I've got to have this baby."

"Is, you made him leave." Maria reminded her.

She looked as Maria as if she was talking a foreign language. "Why did I do that?"

"You were totally out of it Iz." Maria said, brushing her hair back. "He's waiting. Are you ok now?"

Isabel shook her head. "I guess. Get Alex, please."

Maria smiled and walked out of the room. "Alex, let's do it."

"She's not going to throw something at me is she?" He asked taking a step towards the room.

"No, come on. We don't have much time." Maria said.

She turned and went back into the room. She quickly went over to Isabel and stood with her. "It's ok, I'm here. We're both here." She said comfortingly.

Michael waited outside with Logan. He could remember how anxious he'd felt when Maria was having her. He couldn't imagine what Alex was feeling. Especially after finding out that Isabel didn't want him in there. He was glad Maria had been able to change her mind. He walked over to Logan and picked her up. "Hey you sleepy head." He said quietly. "Wake up!" He smiled as she wiggled her little body in his arms. He didn't know how he could love something so little so much. He bent down and kissed her forehead. Slowly her eyes opened. He loved her eyes. They were the same deep green as Maria's. "Hello beautiful." He said. "Her eyes met his. He wasn't sure if she could actually see him but he smiled anyway. "You look so much like your mommy." He began to rock her back and forth in his arms. "I wish you and mommy could stay with me. I promise you I'll see what I can do. I don't like it when we're apart. You know what? I was looking at rings the day you were born. I've been wanting to ask your mommy to marry me even before you were born. But I chickened out." Logan's eyes stared intensely at Michael. "I'm going to though, someday. And then we'll be able to live together. Daddy can hold you all the time and I'll be there whenever you need me. You'll also have some brothers and sisters to play with. It'll be so great."

He didn't hear the door open or Maria behind him. She'd heard the last part of his conversation with Logan. She had tears in her eyes. She didn't realize that Michael wasn't getting to spend that much time with Logan. She slowly made her way over to him and wrapped her arms around his waste, burying her head into his back.

"Hey." He said, turning around and pulling her into a hug. He kissed the top of her head. "How did it go?"

"Not as easy as Logan." She said. "That's for sure."

"How's Isabel?" He asked.

"She's tired. I don't think she even knows she had the baby yet. Alex laid it on her chest but she was already out." She looked over at Logan. "I think something happened to her. It was weird. She didn't even know what she was doing when I got here. It wasn't until after I connected that she was even coherent. She had no clue she'd kicked Alex out."

"Part of the whole alien pregnancy I guess." Michael said.

Maria shook her head. "Maybe." She said slowly. "But I think it could be something else. I mean, what if.what if the people that Ian sent are close by? The baby wasn't in distress from normal causes. It's oxygen supply had been cut off."

"Maria, that's normal." Michael began.

"No, it's not." She retorted. "Especially when it'd been fused off. There was nothing normal about it."

Michael squeezed her a little harder. He knew she was scared. "What's Alex say?"

"He doesn't know what to think. He knows he's very lucky to have both of them here. Any longer and she'd have died. I think that was the plan." Maria said.

"Who would have?" Michael asked.

"The baby." Maria answered.

Michael smiled. "She? It's a girl too?"

Maria looked up at Michael. "I didn't tell you that?" She asked innocently. "Yes, it's a little girl. We all have girls. Isn't that weird. Michael she is so beautiful."

Michael smiled and looked down at Logan. She'd drifted back off to sleep. "Imagine that." He said. "Three little girls. You don't suppose that's all we can have do you?" He asked.

"Would it be that bad?" She asked.

He looked down at Logan. "Not at all." He replied.

Alex appeared at the door. A smile was on his face. "She's awake." He said

Michael could see how excited he was. He thought back to the day Logan was born. He laid her in the car seat and set it on the floor. Slowly he followed Maria into the bedroom. Isabel was lying on the bed with the baby in her arms. Alex was holding one of her tiny hands. "Isn't she beautiful." He asked.

"Very." Michael said smiling.

But the baby wasn't the first thing Maria noticed. She noticed Isabel's face. She was scared. She was trying to put on a front for the three of them, but Isabel could never pull anything past Maria. Telepathically Maria contacted Isabel. "What's wrong? What is it?"

Isabel's eyes caught hers. She smiled. "Pretend everything is ok. Smile back." She said.

Maria did as she said. "She looks just like you Is."

"They're here." She said to Maria, the smile never leaving her face. "I saw them. They know where we are."

Maria didn't break her smile either. "Who's here?" She sent back.

"Ian's people. They tired to kill my baby." She responded.

Maria looked at Isabel. A tear slid down her face. She continued smiling though. "It's ok, Is, we're going to find them." She thought back. "It's all going to be ok."

Isabel handed Alex the baby gently. She reached her arms out towards Maria. She walked over and hugged her sister. "Thank you." Isabel said.

"You'd have done the same for me." Maria said slowly. "We're going to take care of this, I promise. No one messes with my niece."

Isabel smiled a genuine smile as she released Maria. "I love you." She mouthed to Maria.

"Love you too." Maria mouthed back.

Alex placed the baby back into Isabel's arms and kissed her forehead. She knew they were going to have to tell the others about what had happened. She almost felt bad for not telling Michael and Alex what they'd been talking about. But right now, Isabel needed Alex and the baby more than anything. She slowly reached down and grabbed Michael's hand. He knew it was time for them to leave. Maria smiled at the sight of Isabel, Alex and the baby. Why couldn't things always be that perfect?

Part 28 | Index
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.