FanFic - Other
"Fallen Angels"
"Awakenings Beyond the House of Glass"
Part 4a
by Cotti
Disclaimer: Not mine, I can only play :)
Summary: A new take on Max, Isabel, and Michael's origins.
Category: Other
Rating: PG-13
4a: Drowning From the Inside Out

Michael held Maria's limp form close to him, her breathing was shallow and her eyes fluttered frantically, and he was terrified.

For the first time in his life, Michael Guerin knew what it was like to feel completely, totally, and utterly afraid for someone other than himself. He was petrified that he would lose the one thing that made him want to live, and breathe, and move. He was petrified he would lose the only woman he had ever felt close to love with. Michael Guerin was petrified that he would lose Maria DeLuca, before he even had her.

"What's going on?" he asked, trying to hide the quiver in his voices. Despite all rumors and appearances, he did love the small woman in his arms. When no one answered him he snapped, shifting Maria into a more stable position, he glared a both Katie and Max, locked in the same position that they had been in for the last few hectic moments. "Do something!" he demanded, Katie's head turned, her eyes locking with his.

"Hush, child, you know what is to happen," she said with a strange half smile, a soft silver-blue glow surrounded Maria, though Michael was too preoccupied to notice. "You just don't know it yet."

"Goddamn it, Katydid, stop saying that!" he shouted, unknowingly using the nickname Isabel and Maria had started using.

The glow around Maria grew brighter, and when Michael looked down, her nearly dropped his precious burden.

"What's happening Katydid?" he asked, almost like a child, filled with fear, "god, what's happening to her?"

Tears threatened to burst from his eyes. No matter how he tried, he couldn't ignore the fact that this tiny wisp of a girl had intricately wound herself into and around his heart, and he wasn't planning on letting her out anytime soon.

Maria felt something running through her, like water, cool and soothing, smooth and flowing, but she knew it was something else.

Knowledge? Power? Memory, even? She couldn't say. She only felt his arms around her, the soft vibrations of his chest when he spoke, and the smooth, flowing rhythm of something new running through her veins.

She could feel something in with that strange, flowing something. Something familiar, but almost lost. Something she'd almost given up on. Something from the past.

'I love you,' she thought sadly, 'no matter what I love you, and I think you love me…'

She felt something in the flowing rhythm ebb and fade, 'my life?' she thought, frantic.

She felt her heart slow, almost consciously she willed it to remain at a steady beat, but she couldn't do anything more. 'Oh god, please,' she thought, 'let me see him at least once before you take me away. Once more, it's all I want…' she thought forlornly.

Tears filled Maria's eyes and seeped out onto her cheeks, the tears took on a soft purple glow, contrasting prettily with the silver-blue aura surrounding her.

The purple dissipated slowly, but not before spreading briefly throughout the aura and making a point of touching where Michael's heart beat within his chest.

Suddenly a violent rush of air brought the silver-blue aura into Maria's form. It seemed to seep into her pores, through her skin, it found its way inside her through any orifice it could find.

It seemed as if Maria was being drowned within herself, a silvery-blue light clouded her vision and senses. 'If this is death, it's not so bad…' she thought resignedly, having given up all hope on seeing him again.

But, as if her prayer had been answered, she felt a huge rush of air fill her lungs, and the silver-blue light faded almost instantly.

And he was looking down at her, tears sparkling in his eyes.

"Maria?" he whispered, almost frightened that it would be an illusion, of sorts.

She smiled, refusing to answer.

Instead she pulled him down to her, her lips finding his from the intricate memories that she now possessed. She felt warmth spread from her to him as her heart opened itself and tried to share the memories that filled her with him. Max was dropped to the floor unceremoniously, as Katie watched in amusement as Maria regained her feet and wrapped her arms as firmly around Michael's neck as she had wrapped her spirit around his heart in ages past.

She laughed, a rich, merry sound, that seemed to fill the room, and she took a pull on her dying cigarette. And as she looked down at Max, her fury quelled. "Answers, my dear, will have to wait," she grinned, stretching out a hand to him, "now, it is time for you and I to get reacquainted with the night."

She pulled him to his feet and left the house, Max following reluctantly behind.

"Have fun, Ria, my love," Katie called laughingly over her shoulder. "Make him remember, hey?"

Maria smiled and pulled away from Michael to call back: "I'll try for you, Katydid," she laughed, "you were always a slacker!"

"It's a gift," the laughter was faded, lost in the light breeze. Maria looked up at Michael and saw a hint of memory in his eyes.

"What do you remember?" she asked softly.

"Not much," he grinned, "but you could always try and make me remember more."

The smirk on his face was reminiscent of that a cat would wear. Or, to be more specific, one that the cat who ate the canary would wear. Maria grinned up at him with a crooked half smile. "Well then, Michael, my love," she chuckled, "we'll just have to jog your memory, won't we?" she grinned as he lifted her easily and carried her to her bedroom.

Email Author | Back to FanFic Page
Part 4b
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.