FanFic - Other
"Family Ties"
Part 10
by Syndee
Disclaimer: The characters belong to The WB.
Summary: The last story in the "Prophecy" series. The Human/Alien Alliance meets with Liz's grandmother's protégé at the reservation and is surprised when the Podsquad is given an opportunity to leave the country by an unexpected source. No spoilers that I'm aware of.
Category: Other
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: Prerequisites in order: "Treasures Found," (CD After-hrs,) "Tess to TESS," "Reflections," "The Baby Nexus," "Crab Nebula in Taurus," "Purple Passion,"(CD After-hrs,) "Descendants-the Liz/Max Connection," and Nih-Hi-Cho."
Liz and Max had been on the road to Santa Rosa for nearly thirty minutes when Grandma Claudia's book slides out from under the seat reminding Liz that she had yet to read the letter from her grandmother.

The first sheet was a quickly scribbled note from her grandmother advising Liz of the importance of the coordinates listed on the three torn pages of her journal.

The next couple of pages are written on Claudia M. Parker's personal stationary, and addressed to Liz.

Max turns the radio off as Liz begins reading her grandmothers letter. She is slouched down in her seat with her feet braced against the glove compartment as she delves into the letter written the day she was shot.

September 19,1999

My dearest Honey Bear,

If you are reading this letter, I am no longer with you and am unable to protect you from the dangers that I know lie ahead.

I've always known that you were special and felt blessed to have you in my life as my granddaughter and as my friend. Even though our time together was too short I hope you treasure it, as I know I will.

Our picture taking excursion to the Chaco Canyons eight years ago, the summer before you started the third grade, yielded more than artifacts and a topic for a new book.

The metal chest that you found in the cliff storage room contained a book, which foretold your destiny. This book outlined your life from childhood to adulthood which pairs you with your soulmate, an alien being in human form sent to earth to prevent mankind's annihilation.

If you're finding this hard to believe, can you imagine the trouble I had, as an educated woman, of the 21st century believing in a 900 year old prophecy?

But, the evidence was hard to ignore especially after John Nez told me a little known Native American Myth mirroring the events that led to your disclosure of the cave opening and subsequent finding of alien artifacts.

I've hidden these artifacts in your playroom at the Lake-house along with my journal documenting my findings that will hopefully help you and your mate in your struggle to save earth.

Liz, your grandfather was my soul mate and I believe this being is yours. It won't be easy considering your mandate to save the planet, but I know from experience that if the relationship is easy, then he's probably not your soul mate.

You've always followed your heart and I trust that you will use the same good judgement in all your future endeavors.

Be careful and cherish every moment that you have together for a love that has transcended space, time and species has to be worth facing any obstacle that comes your way.

Reach out to your mother; she only wants to keep you safe.

With all my love, Grandma

Max watches as Liz carefully refolds the letter and returns it to its envelope. She takes several deep breaths, closes her eyes and exhales. The tears that have been threatening to flow cling to her long lashes before the sobs begin to shake her small body.

Max slows the Jeep down as he looks for a safe place to pull off of the road. The Jeep barely comes to a stop before he unfastens his seatbelt and moves to undo Liz's.

"Liz, sweetheart. Are you okay?" Max gently places his knuckle under her chin as he lifts her head up and toward him.

She opens her tear soaked eyes and her chin quivers as she attempts to speak but no words come out. She throws herself into his arms allowing him to pull her into his lap.

"Max!" Is Liz okay?" Eddie's voice, winded from his run to the passenger side of the Jeep when he saw Max's sudden departure from the road.

"Yes, Eddie. We're both fine." Max can barely keep his annoyance in check at having Eddie as his bodyguard.

"Liz?" Eddie ventures to defy Max by asking her himself.

Liz does not turn around as she quietly answers him, "Yes Eddie, I'm fine. Give us a few minutes and we'll be back on the road. Okay?"

Eddie gives Max a threatening look before heading back to his vehicle.

Liz wipes at her eyes and moves to face Max. "I miss her so much.

Max pulls her head into his chest as he smoothes her hair away from her face. "I know you do sweetheart, I know you do."

"Was there anything in the letter that you want to talk about?" Max asks Liz as she burrows her face into his shirt and shakes her head no.

"Will you hold me for a little while longer?" Liz's muffled voice is charged with emotion as she takes a couple of cleansing breathes and settles into the safe folds of Max's arms.

Eddie is just about to approach the Jeep again when Liz returns to her seat and Max starts the Jeep. He veers back on the road and heads north towards Santa Rosa.

Part 9 | Index | Part 11
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.