FanFic - Other
"Family Ties"
Part 3
by Syndee
Disclaimer: The characters belong to The WB.
Summary: The last story in the "Prophecy" series. The Human/Alien Alliance meets with Liz's grandmother's protégé at the reservation and is surprised when the Podsquad is given an opportunity to leave the country by an unexpected source. No spoilers that I'm aware of.
Category: Other
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: Prerequisites in order: "Treasures Found," (CD After-hrs,) "Tess to TESS," "Reflections," "The Baby Nexus," "Crab Nebula in Taurus," "Purple Passion,"(CD After-hrs,) "Descendants-the Liz/Max Connection," and Nih-Hi-Cho."
"Mom! Dad! What are you doing here?" Isabel exclaims as she starts to move toward the couple.

Max blocks Isabel's progress with his arm. "Isabel, wait." He then protectively steps in front of her.

Isabel tries to push past Max and their eyes meet. "What is wrong with you Max?"

"Isabel, I think your brother is trying to protect you from us." Philip Evans cautiously steps further into the room.

Isabel shakes her head. "I don't understand. Mom, what's going on?"

Diane Evans glances around the room noting the confused and shocked expressions on the faces of her children and their friends. "Why doesn't everyone sit down and your father will explain everything."

Liz, who had remained seated when Isabel first burst into the room, is now standing by Max's side, their hands joined and expressions guarded.

Philip Evans moves towards Max. "I was hoping to speak to you alone...."

Max interrupts the man whom he's known as his father for over ten years. "We," He looks around the room at his friends, "don't have any secrets."

"Okay son." Philip Evans cannot help but notice how Max visibly cringes. "I'll start at the beginning."

"I guess it must have been about a week before school ended and a couple of days before you all disappeared for those three days.

I was working late at the office when a woman claiming to be a FBI agent visited me. She said that her name was Kathleen Topolsky.

She was very frazzled and frightened and kept insisting that you, Isabel and Michael were in great danger and that I should do whatever I could to convince you to trust her.

She asked if I had ever noticed anything unique or special about you.

The incident with the injured bird when you were six and the more recent kitchen fire a few months ago piqued my curiosity enough to ask her what it was she was trying to say.

It appears that a special unit of the FBI has been looking for proof for months that you, and possibly Isabel and Michael, are alien life forms."

If Philip had expected a reaction from this statement he would have been disappointed because one could literally hear the proverbial pin drop.

Any doubts that he may have harbored that this was all a mistake is lifted when his eyes meet those of his son.

"She went on to tell me that if I didn't hear from her by 10am the following day that our only hope of keeping you safe was to contact John Nez at the University of New Mexico.

I never did hear from her again, but when you guys disappeared for three days, your mother and I, desperate for answers, contacted John.

He knew who I was but was surprised to hear from me and even more surprised to hear that you were missing."

"What do you mean, he knew who you were?" Max looks from his dad to John Nez who had returned to the stool at the front of the classroom once Philip Evans had announced his presence.

John Nez hops off of the stool and approaches Max but stops short when he notices Michael's warrior-like stance.

"I guess now would be as good a time as any to tell you about the Nih-Hi-Cho." He looks around the room and smiles when his eyes meet Sondra's.

"Thousands of years ago my ancestors, pursued by a warring tribe, left their home and crossed a stretch of land believed to have been where the Bering Strait is today.

Outnumbered and ill equipped to fight, their plight was noticed by visitors from another world who helped them relocate to what is now the Four Corners area of the United States.

This relocation was accomplished by manipulating a massive rock, that my ancestors had climbed in their efforts to evade capture or death by their enemies, and transporting it to where it now presides.

It is known as Tse Bi Dahi or Rock with Wings to the Navaho but most commonly called Shiprock.

My ancestors, grateful for the visitors' help, welcomed them with open arms and enjoyed years of mutual respect and possibly shared cultures. About 900 years ago a powerful Shaman was called to the Rock with Wings where he had a vision that prophesized the coming of an alien leader who is sent to earth in human form.

This leader will meet his predestined mate here and start a dynasty, which will ultimately defeat his enemy, which has targeted Earth for their next conquest.

The Shaman pledges allegiance to the future leader's race via his father, Gray Ghost, a frequent visitor of the ancient Pueblos and a respected warrior.

Nih-Hi-Cho literally translates to "Our Friends," but was used during World War II to mean "Allies."

The Ancestral Pueblo people gradually abandoned the Four Corners area by AD 1300. Their movements seemed to be related to drought, rainfall, and cool winters.

The Nih-Hi-Cho tell a different story and contribute the Anasazi abandonment of their cliff dwellings to a powerful Shaman's vision of the alien leaders destination when he comes to earth-Roswell.

It was not until 1944 or 45 that the Nih-Hi-Cho knew with some certainty that the alien leader would soon emerge."

There's a long pause as the others follow John Nez's gaze as his eyes fall and lock with Liz's.

"A chance exchange between two soldiers in the South Pacific whiling away the hours in a muddy foxhole by telling tales of folklore passed down to them by their ancestors changed the objective of the Nih-Hi-Cho.

Liz, it was your grandfather's story of his ancestor Aisling and her relationship with "Gray Ghost" told to a Native American soldier who shared a similar story of "Gray Ghost" that led them to you and then to Max.

Even Max's uncle, who has been on earth since 1931, did not know when or how his niece and nephew would arrive on earth to fulfill their destiny."

Max and Isabel suspect that the man known as Shi-da is their uncle but to have it confirmed for them has them anxious to know more about him. But first they need to know why their parents are here and how they feel about the revelations recently made in this room. Philip and Diane Evans can see the fear and confusion in their children's faces and take this opportunity to move closer to them.

"Max, the reason John called us here tonight is because the Nih-Hi-Cho feel that your enemies are close. It is just a matter of time before they know who you are." He blinks the wetness from his eyes.

Max and Isabel watch as the man they've known as their father reaches into his jacket pocket and pulls out what appears to be several small notebooks.

"As a parent I've always tried to do what is best for my children." He places five passports on the desk in front of Max.

Max picks up one of the passports, opens it and passes it to Michael before picking up another one. "These are our passports under assumed names." Max looks up to meet the curious stares of his friends.

Michael doesn't recall when the picture, looking up at him from the passport, was taken. "Mr. Evans, I don't understand."

Philip Evans steps closer to the young men who are more like brothers than best friends.

Diane Evans joins her husband and steps into the crook of his arms. "We didn't know about Teresa when we had the passports made, otherwise there would be six of them."

"Mom." Max voice cracks with emotion. "What are you saying?"

"We came here tonight prepared to take you away from Roswell and any impending threat that your enemy poses." Diane Evans states with fervor.

Philip Evans takes a deep breath and pulls his wife closer into his side. He swings his free arm out to encompass the room in a gesture that acknowledges everyone. "What we've failed to take in to account is that this is not just about us."

"Max, sweetheart." Diane wipes at the tears that have begun to stream down her cheeks. "I think I know you well enough to know what your decision is going to be. But, as parents who love their children very much, we have too at least offer."

Philip Evans says nothing for a moment; just watches while several emotions are displayed on his son's face. "Just say the word, Son, and we can leave Roswell.

Part 2 | Index | Part 4
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.