FanFic - Other
"Family Ties"
Part 9
by Syndee
Disclaimer: The characters belong to The WB.
Summary: The last story in the "Prophecy" series. The Human/Alien Alliance meets with Liz's grandmother's protégé at the reservation and is surprised when the Podsquad is given an opportunity to leave the country by an unexpected source. No spoilers that I'm aware of.
Category: Other
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: Prerequisites in order: "Treasures Found," (CD After-hrs,) "Tess to TESS," "Reflections," "The Baby Nexus," "Crab Nebula in Taurus," "Purple Passion,"(CD After-hrs,) "Descendants-the Liz/Max Connection," and Nih-Hi-Cho."
Max watches as his cousin instructs the humans on the proper use of the "Energy Enhancers." He runs them through several drills and encourages them to ask questions.

Adam shows them how to send a distress call by pressing their thumb to the middle joint of their little finger which will send a blue beam of the Orb Symbol much like the one Nasado used at the carnival the night Max was captured. The same action is used as a sort of secret handshake to identify the NHC.

As soon as Liz feels that she has mastered the apparatus, she excuses herself and heads for the waiting arms of Max to be whisked away to the lake-house.

Max has promised his parents that he would keep them advised of his whereabouts and of any developments involving his mission here on earth.

"Liz and I are going to Santa Rosa to retrieve a scrapbook of her grandfather's that may shed some light on a few unanswered questions." Max interrupts his parent's who have been regaling his uncle with tales of his and Isabel's childhood.

Alden motions for Eddie and one of the other NHC's to act as bodyguards to Max and Liz.

"I'm sure Liz and I will be okay without bodyguards." Max places his hand on his uncle's arm to stop his assignment of men to guard them.

"Max, they are among us now. We can't take any chances." Alden nods to Eddie to follow Max and Liz as they head towards the Jeep.

Diane Evans leans up and kisses Alden on the cheek. "I'm glad that you're here for him. He can be so stubborn when it comes to asking for, or accepting help."

"His father was the same way." Alden gets a far away look in his eyes as he remembers his friend and brother-in-law.

Diane grabs her husband's arm and laughs up at his smiling face. "That makes two stubborn fathers for one stubborn child."

"So Alden, do you think I can get in some more target practice?" Diane eyes dance with excitement.

Philip Evans starts to laugh and bumps up against Alden's shoulder. "You've turned my wife into a thrill seeking sharp shooter."

"Sure Diane, but keep in mind that it's your own energy being used and it can be exhausting." Alden cautions the over-eager mother of his niece and nephew.

"Okay, okay. I'll give it a rest for today." Diane stifles a yawn. Her husband arches a brow as an indication that maybe she has overdone her battle preparations for today.

Alden's comment that the "Energy Enhancers" can drain the human body of energy brings to mind some questions for Philip Evans.

"Alden, Max told me of the two metal chests that the group has recovered and that they contain weapons also. Are they different then these?" Philip scans the remaining items.

"I haven't seen them yet but from Michael's description, I think that they perform two different functions. The first does pretty much what the "Energy Enhancers" do but uses energy stored in the weapon itself. The second function may act as a shield or imprisoning device." Alden shrugs his shoulders before leaning down to close the lid of the weapons storage chest. Philip grabs the other chest, which is extremely light, and follows Alden to his Range Rover where the chest are securely stored to be transported back to Alden's ranch.

"Do you think humans can use them as well or are they just for ali…huh, you guys?" Philip stumbles over the word alien and looks away embarrassed.

"Philip, I am who I am, and I don't mind the word alien - in private." Both men laugh as they secure the tailgate of the SUV.

"As far as the weapons are concerned. Those last years on my planet were dedicated to preparing our race to become human. I'm sure that any weapons that were created took this into account." Both men sigh as they head toward the others.

Alden slows his pace and eventually stops before turning to Philip. "I'll like to thank you for what you did for Michael. My heart breaks every time I think about the life he's had."

"If we had only known." Philip meets the sad eyes of a father in pain and berates himself for not recognizing the signs of abuse earlier.

"At least he's had Max and Isabel." Alden smiles as he thinks of his beautiful niece and handsome nephew.

Philip remembers the first time the kids brought Michael home and how quiet and careful he was not to disrupt anything.

"Was Michael close to his mother?" Philip asks Alden as his gaze falls on Michael.

"Yes, why do you ask?" Alden follows Philip's gaze as it falls on Michael who's smiling down at Diane.

"I would catch him watching Diane sometimes, but whenever she would try to be nice to him, he would reject her. For a long time she thought that he didn't like her." Philip watches for any reaction from Michael's stepfather.

"Michael adored his mother and she lavished affection on him. He thrived on it. It's a wonder he's been able to survive here without it." Alden's voice trails off and he continues walking toward, his newly found family.

"If it's any consolation, Diane dotes on him now. She sends him casseroles weekly, does his laundry and bugs him about his hair." Both men laugh as they approach the Human/Alien alliance.

Part 8 | Index | Part 10
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.