FanFic - Other
"Isobel"
Part 1
by Lizzie
Disclaimer: I don't own Roswell, or anything associated with it, nor do I own Dido's song "Isobel".
Summary: Songfic set to Dido's "Isobel." Set in the future. How Isabel's life might have turned out if she picked the wrong guy.
Category: Other
Rating: PG

Liz Evans stepped through the door, quickly slamming it shut behind her and pulling off her coat. The silence of the house met her full force, and right then she wished for anything but.

Shaking the snow from her shoulders and hair, she carefully placed her heavy coat on the hanger by the door and walked into the living room. She was pleasantly surprised to see Max, lying on the couch sleeping, his head propped up on several throw pillows and their fat tabby curled up comfortably on his stomach.

Quietly, she walked over to him, perching on the far end of the sofa. He was so adorable when he was sleeping…all of the worry lines that showed themselves in the broad daylight seemed to disappear into nothingness, leaving his face uncreased and fresh. He was the most beautiful thing she'd ever seen. Her hand rested lightly on his ankle, thumb unconsciously rubbing tiny circles on his bare skin. Slowly, he woke up, his long eyelashes fluttering open and revealing those gorgeous, soulful eyes.

"Hey Max."

She smiled warmly at him, leaning over to hug him. He didn't smile back, though, and he didn't budge from his spot. Which definitely put the warning flag up for her.

"What's wrong?"

He was completely awake now, the worry lines showing themselves even sooner than usual.

"It's Is."

The words rang with dread in her ears, sending off little alarms throughout her.

"What..?"

"She didn't show up."

Liz closed her eyes for a moment, trying to regain composure, trying to think things through with some calm.

"Are you sure…she just didn't…get delayed?"

He shook his head solemnly.

"No. She left yesterday, Liz. She said she was coming straight here. She couldn't wait to get here. I just don't understand. I waited for her…almost all day, at the station. But she never came."

She felt impulsive tears spring to her eyes as so many thoughts began to torment her. Where was Isobel? Was she okay?

"Max, you don't think…."

He sighed.

"I don't know. She told me that…she left him. But she said he was mad. I'm just…we should've gone to get her. I should've been there. God, she's my sister…"

Liz wrapped her arms around tightly and rocked him gently, trying to console him…and herself.

Liz sat wrapped up in Max's arms on the couch as they watched the news. No words passed between them, for they were too consumed in their own separate thoughts, and worries. Both of them had feared that this would one day happen….but neither of them had ever really imagined how terrible it would be. The anchorman's voice was like a scream in the silent room, shaking them.

"Some more news on a murder earlier today. Some local children riding their bicycles through a field found a deserted car with a murder victim inside. No names have been released yet, but stay tuned for later updates."

She felt him shudder beneath her, heard her own heart pounding loudly in her ears. It was Isabel's car. Isabel's boyfriend. Dead.

His strong arms tightened around her, comforting her and frightening her all at once. All of the emotions that was feeling were almost overwhelming, making her dizzy. The loud, solitary knock on their door shot through her, piercing her heart.

"Isabel."

Max's voice was a whisper, but she could hear everything he was feeling in the single word. Jumping up, she sprinted to the door, murmuring a silent prayer under her breath to a God she had never before believed in. Her hand trembled as she reached for the doorknob, her palm almost to slippery to turn it. When she opened the door, the tears that she'd been holding back all night began to fall.

"God, Isabel…thank God."

She sat before the fireplace, a warm, thick quilt wrapped tightly around her shivering frame. The heat would not penetrate her…never again, she feared. It had seeped through to her heart and wrapped itself around her, freezing away any warmth and happiness she had ever known. She trembled in fear, in anger, in shock.

Liz watched her, unable to speak, wondering and worrying about this wonderful girl who only seemed a shell of her former self. She had not said a word since she had come to their door. She'd only sat and stared as they cared for her, nursed her cuts and bruises, gave her warm clothes and food.

But they had not dare ask a question yet. Maybe because they knew she would not answer…maybe because the thought of the answers terrified them. Max appeared again in the doorway, a steaming mug in his hands. He carried it to his sister, carefully placed it in her shaking hands…walked away, barely looking her in the face. He could not bear to look her in the face. The haunted, empty look in her eyes broke both of their hearts. And the wounds on her once-beautiful face. To them, she would always be beautiful.

He sat down beside her, taking her hand in his and squeezing it lightly. They watched her, together, communicating with each other with only a touch. They knew that something had to be done. They had to know the truth…even though it hurt. She needed to be protected.

"Is…Isabel?"

Liz's clear voice sliced through the air that seemed to crackle with tension. She did not nod, or even move her head…but Liz knew she had heard her. She would get through to her.

"Please, Is…just tell us. What happened? We only want to protect you, Isabel. We love you."

Max nodded in agreement, too overwhelmed to speak. They waited, and listened for her response that seemed never to come. But finally, she began to speak….her voice was soft, and broken, but they heard her.

"I killed him."

It was an answer that needed no more questions. Understanding passed between them all.

"You did the right thing."

Max's voice seemed to shake her from her reverie, and she looked up at them, eyes darting questioningly from one to the other. Almost as if she didn't completely comprehend what they were to her. That they were there for her. That no matter what, they would always support her. And love her.

Her tears came then, breaking the dam that had been so securely held in place for as long as she'd been in such pain. They flowed from her like rain, flooding her scars and splashing down from her chin.

Sobs wracked her sunken frame, so powerful that she could not hold herself up and she crumpled to the floor, writhing and screaming and crying. He went to her, kneeling down beside her and cradling her in the strength of his arms. He held her, and stroked her hair, and lightly kissed her hair until her cries finally subsided and she fell into a light sleep.

It wasn't until she was safe asleep in their bedroom that Max let his own tears come. It was the worst thing he'd ever known, seeing his sister in such agony. She had left everything she'd ever been behind and changed into someone he barely knew, but still loved.

The guilt rose up in him, eating at his insides, filling him and consuming him. If only he'd brought her home…if only he'd made her leave that man. If only he'd seen sooner. If only he'd picked her up yesterday. Or the week before. He knew now that he would never have her back again. She would never be the same.

They'd all known that her husband was beating her…the way he treated her. They'd known too late, but they had known. A week ago. She had promised them that she was leaving..that she was leaving him, and coming home to be with her real family. She had planned to leave on the train yesterday, and never look back. Apparently things had taken a different path.

And now, Isabel had killed him. Not that Max held it against her. The bastard deserved it. He just wished he could've done it. She didn't deserve the consequences that came with murdering someone. He didn't want her to have to go through a trial, or go to jail…for saving her own life. Liz was sleeping beside him, and he lightly ran his hand along her arm, thankful that he had her. She was his strength, through everything, especially now. She loved Isabel as much as he did, and he knew that she hated this.

He couldn't understand why any man would ever want to hurt any woman. Most of all one like his sister…beautiful, smart, with a kind and generous heart. She was so caring, so loving. Maybe too much so sometimes. Sighing, he gently placed Liz against the opposite armrest. He needed to check on Isabel…to look at her and make sure that she was okay, and safe in his room. Padding down the dark hallway, he quietly pushed in the door.

The bed was empty. The worry washed over him, and he ran through the room and into the bathroom. Already knowing what he would find before he reached her. Her broken body lie on the stark white tile floor, huddled under a mountain of blankets. A pile of empty pill bottles lie beside her, a few stray pills scattered haphazardly across the rug.

He could see the pool of blood collecting beneath her, even under the quilts, growing slowly. And the razor that she held in her outstretched fingers. Turning, he leaned against the doorframe for support. A fleeting thought passed through his mind that he should call 911, but it would be pointless. He already knew that she was dead.

He trudged silently through the empty graveyard, the heavy carpet of leaves crunching beneath his feet. He stared into the distance, at his destination, what he'd come for.

When he reached the stone he paused, almost unable to look at it. Reading the words would be like finalizing it all…admitting that it was all real, and not some nightmare. Words carved in stone. Crouching down, he opened his eyes.

'Isabel Evans Beloved sister, friend, daughter One of God's special angels July 18, 1980-January 23, 2005'

Tears blurred his vision, but he did not bother to wipe them away. It felt good, to let it go. To let go.

He had never wanted to let her go, but he knew that he had to. She was gone now, for good, and he would never see his sister again. He touched the ground beneath him, feeling the earth and the leaves that covered her final resting place. Reaching into his pocket, he pulled out a single long-stemmed white rose, gingerly lying it across the stone.

"I love you, Isabel."

He looked down, his tears splashing onto the dry leaves.

"I'm sorry…that I wasn't good enough. To help you. I should have. I was your brother…it was my job. But I didn't pull through. I just…hope you can forgive me, one day."

And then his words were all gone, and he looked at her name one last time. Placing his fingers on his lips, he then touched them lightly to the cold stone.

"Goodbye sis."

Standing, he slowly walked away. He would never return there again.

Email Author | Back to FanFic Page
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.