FanFic - Other
"Legacy"
Part 10
by Kath7
Disclaimer: I own nothing but the story. The characters and concept belong to Jason Katims and Melinda Metz. Tarsus of Dernia and all Illyrian characters belong to me. Lyrics by Sarah McLachlan, Phil Collins, Amanda Marshall.
Summary: Sequel to "Out of the Woods." I highly recommend reading it before trying this one. It is archived at the Crashdown. Basically, Max is gone, and the others have no idea whether they will ever see him again.
Category: Other
Rating: PG-13
Liz wondered if she was going to pass out.

She really, really felt like she was. All of her friends looked horrified, but they had no idea how bad this really was.

Only one other person at the table knew. Liz turned to stare at Michael. His face was chalk white and he looked like he wanted to throw up. He met her gaze, his pupils dilated with a combination of horror and terror.

Liz finally managed to open her mouth to speak. "Was my whole journal on there Kyle?" She asked, having to try twice before the words had any sort of coherence.

Kyle shrugged. "How should I know? It was just a whole lot of stuff about Max." He looked embarrassed. "I tried not to read too much of it Liz. I mean, its private."

Liz stumbled to her feet. "Alex, we need to get this off the web NOW...immediately, if not sooner."

"Liz, do you really think you should look at it?" Maria asked with concern as Liz moved to drag Alex off to the computer room. "Alex can do it himself."

Liz exchanged another look with Michael. While she was majorly humiliated that there seemed to be nookie pictures of she and Max on the site, that was not her main concern. The potentially explosive secrets that had been revealed....

And even if they hadn't...well, the person who had the journal knew...and that was bad enough.

She couldn't decide whether to tell the others or not. Tess and Izzy would seriously, and rightfully, freak if they found out.

No, it was best to keep it between she and Michael until they knew how bad it was.

"It's okay Maria. I need to see it." Liz replied.

Liz practically sprinted across the quad, Alex close behind her. She ignored all the staring eyes, the catcalls from a couple of asses on the football team...

None of it mattered. Her friends' lives were potentially in danger here.

Alex and Liz slammed into the computer room. A couple of students already there snapped around to stare at them. One snickered. Liz knew what site she must be looking at.

It was only then that Liz realized that Michael had accompanied them. He glared at the three sophomores and two freshman. "Out." He commanded in his most threatening tone. Liz was pleased that none even commented. They all grabbed their stuff and made a break for it. Michael's bad-ass reputation did come in handy sometimes, Liz reflected wryly.

She slid into the seat in front of the console where the giggler had been sitting.

Her heart stopped. She closed her eyes briefly, took a deep breath.

Well, there was no denying that it was her. There she was kissing Max passionately, an expression of bliss on her face.

She even recognized where it was. It was the night that they had been in Michael's apartment, their impulse to be together almost completely out of control. It was the same night they had discovered the orb that had started the whole mess in the first place.

Liz quickly used the mouse to click to the next picture. It was even worse. Max had his shirt off and she was running her hand down his chest. The expression on his face...

She felt tears fill her eyes. She remembered exactly what he had said to her...

"I can't do it to you." She had told him sadly.

"I'm glowing everywhere." He had replied. "My toes, my heart. You can't see it because its on the inside."

"Jesus, Mary and Joseph." Alex stuttered from behind her. "I think I'm going blind."

Liz felt hysterical laughter about to erupt. "How? I mean where on Earth did these pictures come from?" She demanded.

"Liz, we can figure that out later. Get to the journal." Michael commanded. Liz felt annoyed. How dare he order her around when this was all his fault in the first place?

But she knew that he was right. She quickly clicked to the home page.

Giant letters screamed off the computer.

THE SECRET LIFE OF LIZ PARKER.

In smaller letters it continued.

Mild-mannered school girl by day, sizzling sex-pot by night.... That's our Lady Liz. Here it all is...in black and white...in her own words.

Liz paused, glanced back at Michael. "Are you ready for this?" She asked quietly.

He nodded, his jaw set. She clicked on the mouse.

The next screen came up.

Journal Entry 4

The tough thing about following your heart is what people forget to mention, that sometimes your heart takes you to places you shouldn't be....

Liz quickly scanned the rest of the entry. Nothing incriminating there, although it was making her stomach clench just seeing her private thoughts on public display. It was making her feel ill to realize that a large portion of the student body had been privy to those thoughts.

Journal Entry 18

Have you ever had a moment when you're with the one person in the world you want to be with? And the wind is blowing through your hair and the song that just describes your entire soul happens to come on and then the person you happen to want to be with happens to love the same song and suddenly you realize you.re listening to it together.

Liz swallowed, didn't even give herself a chance to remember that perfect moment. It would make her think about how much she missed Max, about what she had found out last night...now wasn't the time.

Click.

Journal Entry 34

Lately I've been having these feelings, like I'm changing, inside, and part of me doesn't want to change, part of me always wants to be my mom's little girl, but the thing is these feelings are strong, dangerous, undeniable...it's like I have no choice, it's like chemical...

"What the heck is that supposed to mean?" Michael demanded. He was reading over her shoulder.

"Er - never mind." Liz replied. She swivelled around, sighed with relief. "None of it's what we thought." She told him.

"What did you guys think was on here?" Alex asked suspiciously. "I would have thought that what was there was enough to make you crawl under your bed for a year." He nudged Liz out of her chair, began to type away, clearly trying to get rid of the site.

Liz and Michael exchanged another look. "Um...I used my journal to talk about some Czech stuff." Liz replied finally, realized that everyone had a right to know now.

The fact that her journal was still out there somewhere - in God knew who's hands...everyone NEEDED to know.

Alex turned around. "What! Liz were you crazy? What were you thinking?" She saw the look of terror that crossed her best friend's face. She knew exactly what was going through his mind....Isabel was now in great danger.

"Can it Whitman." Michael inserted. "What's done is done. Liz had a right to write whatever she wanted."

Liz pressed her lips together. She did not want Michael standing up for her...she hated him...but she couldn't help but feel a bit thankful.

She knew that it had been stupid...that she should have burned the thing after Michael had stolen it the first time...

She should have gotten rid of it when Max had disappeared...but it had been her only reminder of him, besides a few photographs. To burn it - it would have been like erasing her entire relationship with her soulmate.

"Can you get rid of it?" Liz asked Alex in a small voice.

"Yeah, it's pretty amateur actually." Her friend replied. "I just need to get into the site-builder..."

"Don't you need a password?" Michael asked, looking impressed as Alex"s hands flew across the keyboard.

"Nah, I can get around that." Alex replied. As Liz watched tensely, the screen flashed several times - and the journal entry in front of them disappeared.

"Please tell me its gone?" Isabel walked into the computer room with Tess. Tess' face looked concerned.

"Are you okay?" She asked Liz. Liz reflected briefly on how surreal it was that she and Tess were actually friends.

"Yeah, thanks. Alex took care of it." Liz replied.

"Where's Maria?" Michael demanded, glancing behind the two girls who had just entered.

Isabel's face, which had been showing her relief, darkened. "Kyle took her home. She wasn't feeling well." Liz saw Michael clench his fists at his side, felt her own stomach drop.

"We need to figure out who was behind this." Alex announced as he stood up. "We have to get that journal back."

"Why?" Tess asked. "I mean, I heard some of the girls talking in the hall. It sounds to me like the pictures were sort of bad, but that the journal was actually kind of romantic." She smiled at Liz sadly. "You're like even more of a tragic heroine to them now than you were before."

"I'm pleased to report that there were no sex fantasies, if that's what you mean." Liz replied, blushing slightly. She saw Isabel grimace.

"Please, I may be ill. This is my brother we're talking about here."

Liz realized that they had to tell them. "My journal wasn't just about my relationship with Max. It was also about Max in general...I mean, what he was...IS!" Liz quickly amended, upset that she had used the past tense to refer to her boyfriend. "What he is..."

"His Czech status?" Isabel blanched. "Oh my God. And us too?" She indicated Michael and Tess. Tess looked like she couldn't speak.

Liz felt terrible. She nodded. "I am so sorry Isabel - all of you."

Isabel sat on a chair quickly. She looked faint. "I can't breathe."

Alex hurried to her side, began to stroke her back comfortingly. "It's okay. We're going to get it back Iz."

"I need to think about something else." Isabel announced abruptly "I CANNOT think about this right now." Alex exchanged a worried glance with Liz. She shrugged.

Isabel was reaching into her bookbag. She pulled out the large book that Liz had been carrying when she had come to lunch. Liz had not even remembered that she had left it behind.

Izzy flipped it over so that the title was visible to them all. It was entitled BRITISH HERITAGE SITES.

"What is this all about?" She looked at Alex significantly. "It's what I saw in my vision Alex."

"What the hell?" Michael yelled. "That's what I saw in MY vision!"

He was staring at the picture on the cover in shock. It was of the most famous tourist sites in all of Great Britain. It was Stonehenge.

"YOUR vision?" Alex demanded. "Were you planning on telling us about that in this century, or the next?"

"I saw it too." Liz said quietly. "That's why I wasn't in school this morning. I had to check up on something. Max called it the Waylandian Ring."

"Ummm, and might I inquire when he called it that?" Alex asked, shaking his head wearily. Liz understood how he was feeling. They were not being very open about what was going on with each of them.

"I never got a chance to tell you guys." Liz continued. "I saw Max last night. In a dream."

"He dreamwalked you?" Isabel sounded ecstatic.

Liz shook her head. "No. I think he was just as surprised to be there as I was." She shut her eyes briefly, felt again the pain of the meeting - but also the hope that had remained with her ever since. "He doesn't remember who he is." She told them sadly.

"What do you mean?" Michael demanded.

"Just what I said...they've brainwashed him or something. He doesn't remember anything about his time on Earth. He really thinks that he's Jaxon Falconer."

"He IS Jaxon Falconer." Michael replied. Liz narrowed her eyes. Not in her book was Max EVER going to be Jaxon Falconer.

He was Max. Her Max.

"You know what I mean." Liz told him, barely keeping her irritation out of her voice. "Anyway, the point is, we were in what he called the Waylandian Ring."

Isabel was shaking her head. "Who cares about that right now? How did he look?"

"He looked fine. He looked exactly like he looked when he left." Liz replied, a slight smile on her face.

He had looked beautiful to her.

"I don't understand." Tess said. "We've figured out already that time moves differently on Illyria. I mean, Michael and Maria were only gone for an hour but for them it was like they were gone for a year. Shouldn't Max be like three hundred years old by now?"

Liz just shook her head. "I have no idea. He looked exactly the same. Yeah, he looked older, but only because he's almost a year older than the last time we saw him."

Michael was scowling. "So what does Stonehenge have to do with any of this?" He inquired testily, clearly wanting to get back on track with the mystery at hand.

"I'll tell you." Liz replied, annoyed with him again. Couldn't he just let them be happy for two minutes that Max was healthy and alive? She took the book away from Isabel, flipped through to the entry on the famous ancient site. She began to read aloud.

"England's most famous stone circle is found several miles from the city of Salisbury in Wiltshire. It is now generally acknowledged that the famous stones were carried to the site from Northern Wales by an ancient people, although for what purpose is unclear. Mysteries and legend surround the stone circle. It is known that the circle was a holy site for the ancient Druids, that it might have been an astronomical observatory and that it is found at the intersection of several lay-lines..."

"What's a lay-line?" Tess interrupted.

"It's like a line of energy that is supposed to cross the island. There are supposed to be thousands of them." Liz explained. "They're invisible but they are said to have great power. Stone circles are generally believed to be built on the spots where several cross because the Druids and others used them to channel the power from the lay-lines."

"Sounds like a bunch of hocus-pocus nonsense to me." Michael grumbled.

"Yeah, and aliens among us sounded like a bunch of hocus-pocus nonsense to me!" Alex replied sarcastically.

Liz ignored them both, continued to read. "One of the biggest mysteries surrounding the circle is how the stones were transported from Wales to Wiltshire. The people who lived at the time it was built did not have the technology to do so, although some historians argue that they might have moved them by water."

"So?" Michael asked, clearly getting impatient.

"Will you shush!" Liz snapped. Michael blinked at her. She turned back to the others. "This is what's important...get this..." she explained. "Some less reputable sources argue that the only explanation lies in the stars."

"What the heck is that supposed to mean?" Michael demanded.

Liz rolled her eyes. She turned to Isabel hopefully.

Isabel's face was shining with excitement. She was clutching Alex's hand tightly. She turned to Michael. "Don't you get it? They think that it was built by aliens! Oh my God! Liz! Do you realize what this means?"

Liz smiled at her. "I do. It means that we know how to bring Max home."

Part 9 | Index | Part 11
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.