FanFic - Other
"Letting Go"
Part 15
by Jamie Phelps
Disclaimer: Don't own them. Never have, never will. Would love to :-)
Summary: Max has come to terms with the relationship he and Maria share. Tess reveals some startling news the pod squad of something she uncovered in the compound while being held prisoner. The group is in their senior year of high school, but major changes lay ahead. When a call goes out to Nasedo offering a chance for the aliens to return home, they have to choose between what their mind and their heart says. Faced with the possibility of never seeing the humans again, the aliens must make a choice. Will they make the right one?
Category: Other
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: You must have read "Secrets" and "The Journey" or this fiction will not make sense to you. Please email at jamiep@egyptian.net or see the Other category on Crashdown.Com if you need either of the fictions.
Maria was the last to arrive at the Crashdown. All morning she had been pacing, worrying about what they were going to do. On one hand, she really wanted to meet her father and find out everything she could about the alien part of her, but on the other she'd be leaving Liz, Alex and her mom behind. She didn't know how she could face life without Liz. She felt bad because they hadn't got to spend a lot of time together since Maria had found out Isabel and Max were her siblings. But Liz understood. She'd stood by her throughout the whole situation and questioned her only once. But now there was a possibility that she would never see Liz again. What if she went to the Aardon and loved it there. What if she decided not to come back? Too many questions remained unanswered for Maria.

She walked over and sat down in the chair beside Isabel. "Hi." She said, somberly.

"Hi." Came the chorus of voices.

Max, Liz, Michael, Tess, Kyle, Isabel and Alex all forced a smile. None of them were looking forward to discussing the news.

Michael began the conversation. "Our parents sent for us." He said. "For those of you who don't know."

A look of confusion crossed Kyle's face, indicating he didn't. Everyone else seemed to know about it.

"Nasedo is to pilot us back to Aardon in three days. It is totally up to us if we want to go or not. We're supposed to talk it over and decide. He's going to find me tonight for the answer." Michael continued. "It's our chance to see where we came from, to see our family. Nasedo says that we can come back if we don't want to stay there. It's a win, win situation."

Maria smiled at Michael, urging him to continue. "I'm going." He said. "I hope you guys will go too. I can't miss the chance to meet my family. That has been my dream in life. I need to know them. It will be so hard to leave you guys, but that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make. If I don't like Aardon, I can always return here to earth." Michael hesitated a moment. "Who's with me?"

Without skipping a beat, Maria answered. "I am."

"Maria?" Liz said. "You can't just leave. What about your mom? Besides, you're human."

"Half." Maria corrected. "My father is on that planet too. In their world, I'm considered one of them. That is what will enable me to travel back to Aardon. My mom will just have to accept the fact that I'm going. It's a chance I may never have again." She looked at Liz. "And you, more than anyone, should know how much I've wanted to meet my father."

Liz shook her head. Maria had always wanted to meet her father. "But how are you going to explain it to your mom? You can't just tell her the truth."

"Actually." Michael interrupted. "Nasedo says that if we decide to go to Aardon, we will have to tell our parents where we're going." He looked at Max and Isabel. "That means Philip, Diane, and Amy will also know about us."

"So you're just going to leave me?" Liz asked, eyes burning into Maria.

Tears sprung to her eyes. She didn't know if she'd be able to do it. How could she possibly leave Liz? She felt Isabel's hand on hers under the table. It was a gesture to be strong. At that instant, Maria knew what she had to do. "I'm not leaving you, Liz. I'll be back. I just want the chance to meet my father and then I'll come back. I promise you."

Liz couldn't hold back her tears anymore. "And what about the rest of you?" She asked, tears streaming down her face. "Tess? Isabel? Max?"

Tess couldn't face Liz. She couldn't face any of the humans. She wanted so desperately to see her home planet. "I'm sorry, Liz." She said quietly. "I've got to go back. Maybe not for good, but to see where I came from."

Isabel had tears in her eyes too. It helped that she still had Maria's hand. "Please don't be mad." She said as she looked at both Alex and Liz. "I have to go back. Just to see what our planet is like. When Maria returns, I'll come with her. It would have been so much easier if we hadn't gotten to know you guys. The decision is hard, but we've got to go back."

Liz turned her attention on Max. She was loosing Michael, Isabel, Tess and Maria. She didn't know how much more she could take. "Max?"

He didn't know how to answer her. Less than 24 hours ago he'd been telling her that he'd never leave her. He didn't know he'd have a chance to go to his home planet. It would have been easier yet if Isabel, Michael, Maria and Tess weren't going. He couldn't face the world without them. And yet, he couldn't face it without Liz either. His mind danced back and forth as he thought. He could come back when Isabel and Maria returned. That wouldn 't be very long. But what if he wanted to stay? He couldn't have Liz on his planet. "I meant what I said, Liz." He began. "Roswell is my home."

Liz's mouth curved into a smile.

"But," He continued. "Aardon is where I can from and I have to admit I'm curious. I want to know what my family is like. I want to meet them. If the role were reversed, would you leave me to see your family?"

Liz could no longer control her sobs. Hearing the words out of Max's mouth was all she could take. Maria stood up and went to her and hugged her. "Lizzy, shhh." she said, trying to calm her down. "It's going to be all right. We won't be gone long. You'll hardly have time to miss us."

Max touched Liz's hand. "I will be right back here with Maria and Isabel. I just want the chance to see my family. Then I'll come right back here where I belong." He pushed a strand of loose hair away from her face.

Liz looked up at Max. She knew she should be happy for them. They'd found what they'd been searching for. Why did it hurt so much now? She knew that Max, Maria and Isabel would be back, but yet she couldn't let go. "Do you promise you'll come back to me?" She asked, looking at Max. "Don't make promises that you can't keep."

Max looked away for just a moment and then back up to Liz. "I promise." He said.

Part 14 | Index | Part 16
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.