FanFic - Other
"Letting Go"
Part 19
by Jamie Phelps
Disclaimer: Don't own them. Never have, never will. Would love to :-)
Summary: Max has come to terms with the relationship he and Maria share. Tess reveals some startling news the pod squad of something she uncovered in the compound while being held prisoner. The group is in their senior year of high school, but major changes lay ahead. When a call goes out to Nasedo offering a chance for the aliens to return home, they have to choose between what their mind and their heart says. Faced with the possibility of never seeing the humans again, the aliens must make a choice. Will they make the right one?
Category: Other
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: You must have read "Secrets" and "The Journey" or this fiction will not make sense to you. Please email at jamiep@egyptian.net or see the Other category on Crashdown.Com if you need either of the fictions.
"First stop is to Max's house." Taye said. "Your father is waiting. He wants to meet Michael and Tess, too."

Michael held on to Maria's hand. He hadn't thought about them being separated once they landed. He didn't know if he could be away from Maria. He was scared to meet his parents. It wasn't like Isabel, Max and Maria's. They had each other to lean on. He'd have to face them all by himself.

Maria tightened her grip on his hand. She knew he was scared. Far be it from Michael to actually tell anyone though. She wished she could go with him. Luckily Tess would be there. Maria found it hard to think of Michael confiding in Tess. It had taking her almost a year to get him to confide in her.

Isabel watched as they traveled along the road. Or was it a road? Isabel wasn't sure. It was the path that all the vehicles seemed to be following. She watched as a vehicle flew past. Who would of thought they'd have flying cars as transportation. She'd been amazed when she stepped into the one they were riding in. Although it didn't go very fast, the feeling of being a few feet off the ground overwhelmed her. Taye had assured them all that it was perfectly safe. Just part of the new technology they'd developed.

Max was taking everything in. So this had been what he'd missed all those years. He watched as a rabbit-like animal jumped from the side of the road. He'd never seen anything so beautiful. The metallic greens and blues of the animal radiated until it disappeared under their vehicle.

"What was that?" Max asked.

Taye looked up from the road. "What?" He asked.

"That animal, it looked similar to a rabbit. Very pretty." Max explained.

"Oh, you mean a hopper." Taye corrected. "They're all over the place here. It's our equivalent of human dogs. They are pets."

"Oh." Max said. He continued starting out the window. He didn't want to miss a thing.

Tess wasn't sure how she was feeling. Maybe it'd been a big mistake to come back, after all she didn't have a family. She was glad she was with Michael though. She would have been devastated if she had to stay by herself. What was bothering her more than that was the fact they couldn't communicate with Nasedo. She didn't understand why.

"How come we can't communicate with Nasedo while we are here?" Tess asked.

Taye concentrated on the road. He knew the answer, but it was also in his best interest not to say anything. He told them the same thing that had been told to Nasedo. "He will be busy with the elders of the planet, explaining what life on earth was like. He won't have time for you, so I am in charge."

He hated lying to them, especially under the circumstances. But they had just arrived so there was no need to cause panic in them now.

"Max, Maria, Isabel." Taye said. "That," He said, pointing to a huge area that looked like a small community. "is your house."

"It's so huge!" Maria exclaimed.

"It is." Taye explained. "Your great-grandfather, grandfather, and father live there. It houses four generations of leaders and their families."

Max was stunned. "Our great-grandfather is still alive?"

"Time is not of the same essence here as it is on earth. Families begin young. You are beyond our average breeding age. Marriages occur at ten or eleven years old. By fifteen an Aardonian's breeding cycle is over. They cannot reproduce anymore. This would only make your parents in their late 20's, your grandparents in their 40's and your great grandparents in their 60's, according to human years. We go by life cycles here. Your great grandparents are in their 4th life cycle. Most Aardonian's live 5 life cycles, or 80 earth years." Taye looked at the group. "Do you follow what I'm saying?" He asked.

Isabel looked confused. "We can't have children?" She asked.

"Not full blooded Aardonian children. When you were left on earth, your body adapted to the human way of life. Your reproduction cycle changed as well. The only way you can reproduce is with a human." Taye finished.

Isabel let out a sigh of relief. She wanted children. She couldn't imagine not having any. She didn't have to worry though since she had all intentions of returning to earth.

Taye guided the vehicle through the gate. He allowed it to hover a few seconds before landing gently. "We're here." He announced.

He led the five of them to the door. "Are you ready to meet your parents?" He asked.

Max, Isabel, and Maria nodded their heads. "Ready as we'll ever be." They said, together.

Part 18 | Index
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.