FanFic - Other
"Letting Go"
Part 23
by Jamie Phelps
Disclaimer: Don't own them. Never have, never will. Would love to :-)
Summary: Max has come to terms with the relationship he and Maria share. Tess reveals some startling news the pod squad of something she uncovered in the compound while being held prisoner. The group is in their senior year of high school, but major changes lay ahead. When a call goes out to Nasedo offering a chance for the aliens to return home, they have to choose between what their mind and their heart says. Faced with the possibility of never seeing the humans again, the aliens must make a choice. Will they make the right one?
Category: Other
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: You must have read "Secrets" and "The Journey" or this fiction will not make sense to you. Please email at jamiep@egyptian.net or see the Other category on Crashdown.Com if you need either of the fictions.
Max, Isabel and Maria stared at the door in shock. The words that had escaped their mother's mouth had sent fear racing through their veins.

Tears formed in Isabel's eyes. How could they have tricked them in to returning? Had Nasedo been in on it? She found herself feeling faint. Slowly she made her way over to one of the beds. She had to sit down. She dropped down on the bed and instinctively brought her hands over her face. The tears were falling harder now.

Max couldn't move. He saw Isabel crying and knew he should try and comfort her. His legs felt bolted to the ground and he couldn't move. He opened his mouth to tell her everything would be all right, but the words didn't come out. All he could do was watch.

The first thought that entered Maria's head was Michael. She had to get to him and warn him. There had to still be one way off their planet. She watched as Isabel sat down on a bed. She noticed the tears streaming down her face and instinctively looked at Max. What was wrong with him? He was standing there, staring at Isabel. She gave Max a few more seconds and then made her way over to Isabel. She pulled her head over onto her shoulder. "Don't worry, Iz," She began. "were gonna find a way off this planet. I know it."

"How did this happen?" She sobbed. "Why didn't we see this coming?"

"Because we didn't know." Maria said gently. "Nasedo must not have known or he would have never brought us back here. He's not like that, Izzy. There has to be a way out of here. We'll have to find Nasedo."

Isabel looked up at Maria. "Alex." She said.

Maria turned and pulled Isabel into a hug. "I know you miss him." She said. "I miss him too, and Liz. Although I'm happy to meet our father and the rest of our family, I think coming here was a mistake. Not just because we're stuck here either."

Isabel pulled away and smiled. "My home is on earth, with Alex. If we ever get back I'm going to try and forget this place."

"Don't forget it." Maria began. "We've experienced something that no one else will ever experience. Always remember how beautiful it is here. You' ll want to tell your kids someday. You can work on cutting ties from here. Once we're back on earth the only parents that will exist to us are our human parents. It has to be that way or we'll never be able to forget the ones from this planet."

Isabel knew Maria was right. "I'm just so scared." She said, drawing her knees to her chest. She suddenly dropped them to the floor. "We've got to warn Michael and Tess." She said.

"How?" Maria asked. "We don't even know where they are."

"We can dream walk them." Isabel said.

Oh yeah! Why hadn't she thought of that? She still wasn't quite used to having her powers.

"I want us to do it together. I'm scared to go by myself." Isabel confessed.

Maria touched her hand. "Me too." She said. She glanced over at Max who was still standing in the same spot. "What are we gonna do with him?" She asked.

Isabel stood up and walked over to Max. "MAX!" She yelled.

Instantly all the muscles in Max became freed. He could move. He wrapped his arms around Isabel and then pulled Maria into the hug. "I'm so sorry guys." He said, hugging them tighter. "I just flipped out. I was too much in shock to be there for you."

Maria wriggled out of his grip. "It's going to be ok Max. We're going to get home."

Max let go of Isabel and turned to Maria. "It's not ok. Everyone schemed to get us here. Even Nasedo."

"He couldn't have known." Isabel protested. "Nasedo wouldn't make us do something that we didn't want to do."

"Exactly." Max said. "He made up the lie about us being able to return home just so we'd leave with him."

Isabel hadn't thought about that. "We'll find a way." She said. "There's got to be a way out of here. We'll just have to find Nasedo."

"But first," Maria added. "we're going to warn Michael and Tess." She turned to Isabel. "Ready?"

"You don't know where he is." Max protested.

Isabel smiled. "We'll use our power, Max. We're going to dream walk. Maybe with some luck he'll be asleep."

"Be careful." Max said. "You don't know who else could be watching your dreams. We're not on earth anymore."

"We'll be fine." She said, taking Maria's hand.

They lay down on the bed, hand-in-hand and concentrated. Before long the dream orbs begin to take shape. They walked amongst the orbs, humming, attempting to draw Michael and Tess's orbs closer.

Isabel stopped. An orb was nudging her in the ribs. She knew exactly whose orb it was. It was Alex's. She looked at Maria. "Please?" She begged. Maria nodded her head.

Isabel coaxed the orb into her hand and separated the molecules. She was right. It was Alex. She pulled Maria into the dream behind her. Alex was dreaming about graduation. Their class was receiving their diplomas. They found a seat on the bleachers and watched. She listened as each name was called off. Excitement radiated through the crowd. "Evans, Isabel." The name caught her attention. She turned and noticed Alex look back. It was then she noticed the other four empty chairs. Michael, Max, Isabel, Tess and Maria weren't there. She drew in a breath as she saw a tear slide down Alex's cheek. She wanted to go down to Alex and tell him she was all right, but she knew she couldn't alter his dream. They continued to watch his dream as he and Liz received their diplomas. When the tassels were turned a big cheer went up among the class. Except from Alex and Liz. He pulled her close and kissed her on the forehead. Liz began to cry. Alex was missing her just as much as she was missing him. She had to get home soon. Alex looked up at the section of bleachers where Maria and Isabel were sitting. A look of shock clouded his face.

"We've got to go." Isabel said. "They can't see us here."

Maria stood up. "Can I leave this?" She said, holding up a note.

Isabel smiled. "Yes, hurry!"

Maria laid the note on the bleachers and grabbed Isabel's hand. They looked down one last time and saw Alex and Liz almost to them. Then they were back on the dream plane.

"No more detours." Isabel said.

They continued on searching for any signs of Michael and Tess. Maria recognized her mom's orb as it floated by. There were others she recognized too; Kyle, Liz, Nasedo.

"Isabel, wait!" Maria said, pulling Nasedo's orb to her. "It's Nasedo."

"We have to." She said, pleading with Isabel.

Isabel shook her head and they both stepped in.

"I knew one of you would come." Nasedo said.

Isabel and Maria jumped.

"How do you know we're here?" Isabel asked.

"I feel you." His voice said.

"Where are you?" Maria asked.

"You're in trouble." He stated. "They've lied to you."

"We know." Maria said. "How are we going to get home?"

"You need to find Taye. Tell him to contact me soon. He has to get me out of this place. I'm being held prisoner. There is no way they'll allow you near me." Nasedo's voice grew quiet. "I assume they told you I was meeting with the elders?"

Isabel nodded her head. She was right. Nasedo knew nothing about what was going on.

"Get to Taye and have him see me immediately." Nasedo demanded. "You're running out of time."

Maria didn't understand. "What do you mean?" She asked.

"Time is different here. You already know that." He began. "What you don't know is time on earth moves faster."

"Huh?" Isabel said.

"One week here is equal to 6 months on Earth. You've already been gone from earth a month." Nasedo lowered his voice another notch. "If I don't get you off this planet soon, you'll never be able to pick your life back up on earth."

"Did you know about the time difference?" Isabel asked, when he finished.

"No." He said. "Things have changed so much since I left. If I'd have known I'd never asked you to come."

"We'll talk to Taye." Maria said quickly before she started to cry.

"Thank you." Nasedo said. "Protect yourselves at all cost. Don't worry about me."

Maria and Isabel found themselves standing on the dream plane once again. This time, Michael's orb floated right up to Maria and nuzzled into her hand. She pushed the molecules apart. No sign of Tess's orb so she pulled Isabel in with her.

"MICHAEL!" Maria began yelling.

"MICHAEL!" Isabel joined in.

Before long a bird appeared. It began doing dives and flips around Maria's head. She didn't let it distract her. "MICHAEL!" She said again.

The bird landed and began running in circles at her feet. "Damn bird!" She said, trying to push it out of the way with her foot.

"Wait!" Isabel said. She reached own and picked up the bird. "Michael?"

A voice, barely above a whisper answered. "Yeah."

Isabel began to laugh. Maria realized at that moment that Michael was the bird. She began to laugh too.

Michael flapped his wings in frustration. "What do you want?"

Maria took Michael from Isabel and kissed his beak. "We're here to warn you." She said. "We've been tricked."

Michael seemed to become very sad. "I know." He said. "Taye told us."

"What are we going to do?" Maria asked.

"Taye is going to help us." Michael began. "It'll be ok."

"Are you guys ok?" Isabel asked.

"We're fine." He said.

The air temperature dropped suddenly. Darkness clouded the dream. "Michael, what's happening?" Maria asked.

But before he could answer, a giant hawk swooped down and grabbed him from Maria's hands.

Part 22 | Index | Part 24
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.