FanFic - Other
"Letting Go"
Part 31
by Jamie Phelps
Disclaimer: Don't own them. Never have, never will. Would love to :-)
Summary: Max has come to terms with the relationship he and Maria share. Tess reveals some startling news the pod squad of something she uncovered in the compound while being held prisoner. The group is in their senior year of high school, but major changes lay ahead. When a call goes out to Nasedo offering a chance for the aliens to return home, they have to choose between what their mind and their heart says. Faced with the possibility of never seeing the humans again, the aliens must make a choice. Will they make the right one?
Category: Other
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: You must have read "Secrets" and "The Journey" or this fiction will not make sense to you. Please email at jamiep@egyptian.net or see the Other category on Crashdown.Com if you need either of the fictions.
Liz stopped. She had a strange feeling she was being watched. Her grip tightened on Alex's hand.

"What is it?" He asked, looking at her. He felt her muscles tense.

"I don't know." She said, quietly. "I have this feeling that we're being followed."

Alex began to turn around but Liz stopped him. "Keep walking." She said.

He did as she told him and they continued ahead. The feeling just kept nagging at Liz. She had to think of something. Then she noticed the diaper bag on top of the stroller. She reached over and knocked it off, allowing it to fall behind them. She stopped and turned around to pick it up, allowing her eyes to look back down the street. Her heart skipped a beat and almost stopped. Could she really be seeing this? She put her hand down on the ground to keep herself from falling.

Alex bent down to help her. "Are you all right?" He asked, concerned.

"Look." She said, smiling.

Alex looked in the direction she had nodded. It couldn't be! Two blocks away he could see Michael, Max, Isabel, Tess, Maria and a strange guy walking their way. At least he thought it was them. He was probably just hallucinating again. He rubbed his eyes and looked again. They were still coming towards them. He helped Liz to her feet.

Liz started to run towards them, but remembered the baby. She stopped and waited for Alex to catch up. As quickly as they could they begin walking in the direction they'd seen everyone. They were within a block now. It was obvious they'd seen each other, yet why weren't Max or Isabel running to greet them.

Liz, Alex and Jacey crossed the street. They were now within a few feet of the group. And then they were together. Maria threw her arms around Liz and hugged her. Tears streamed down both girls face. It felt so good to hug each other.

"God Liz I've missed you so much!" Maria exclaimed. "I didn't ever think I'd see you again. I'll never leave you, ever!" Maria continued crying.

"You've missed so much." Liz said. "What happened to a couple of weeks?" Tears rolled down her face.

"It's a long story." She said, releasing her. "We'll talk about it later."

Maria moved on to Alex. He took Maria in his arms and held her. It felt so good that she was back, that they all were back. He'd missed her goofy ways. "You came to me." He said the first words that came to his mind. "In my dream, it was you and Isabel. You were in trouble."

Maria shook her head. "I followed Isabel in. It was her idea, but my idea to leave the note. I had to let you know we would be back someday."

She buried her face into his chest and sobbed. "I missed you, Alex. I'm so sorry I left you." She moved away from Alex and went to stand by Michael. He wrapped his arm around her and kissed her forehead."

Then he went to Liz. She hugged him close. "Don't ever leave again, ok?" She asked. She punched him playfully in the arm when she pulled away. "I didn't think I'd miss you that much." She smiled.

"I don't plan on it kid." He added. "Who wouldn't miss me?"

"Still the same old Michael, huh?" Alex asked, shaking his hand then pulling him in for a hug. "Glad you're back, man."

"Me too." Michael said. "It's good to be home."

He backed away and stood by Maria again. Max and Isabel looked at each other. Neither of them knew what to do. Isabel decided to give Alex the benefit of a doubt.

She walked over to him and threw her arms around his neck. She buried her head on him. He held her as tight as he could. He didn't want to ever let go. He'd almost given up hope of ever seeing her again, but he'd been given a second chance. He pulled her back so he could look into her eyes. "I have missed you so much, Iz." He said, tears falling from his eyes. "I didn't think I'd ever see you again." Before she could respond his mouth was on hers. A long passionate kiss entailed. Isabel lost all sense of reality and where she was. She's forgotten just how great being with Alex made her feel. He pulled her closer and Isabel formed a connection. He could see through her eyes the trip to the planet, meeting her parents, finding out she couldn't return, Isabel in the cave, the bottle and the pacifier, and Alex for the first time after returning back to earth. He could feel the pain she'd been through. When she pulled away from the kiss, Alex just held her. Their connection was still as deep as it had been ten months prior. All thoughts of Liz and the baby escaped Isabel's mind.

"I love you Alex." She said, tears streaming down her face. "I'll never leave you again. I just can't. I've been to hell and I know what it feels like without you."

Liz smiled. Alex was the happiest he'd been in a long time. But Max didn't look happy. He didn't even look that excited to see her. She walked over to him.

"Hey." She said.

"Hi." He replied.

She reached up and put her arms around his neck. He felt almost stiff, like he was afraid to touch her.

Max tried to hold up a front, but the closer Liz got to his skin, the harder it was becoming to control what he felt. When her lips touched his, he lost it. He grabbed her by the waist and pulled her as close to him as he could get and kissed her deep. The taste of her lips brought the tingling sensation back to his body. He kissed her like he'd never see her again. He didn't want to let go of those lips. He continued to kiss her and run his hands through her hair. He'd missed the feel of her long, silky black hair. His hair, as he'd called it many times. When the kiss ended he hugged her and began to cry. He finally had his Liz. No more sleepless nights of wondering what she was doing, how she was coping or how she was feeling. He was there now. She'd never be alone again.

Liz reached down and grabbed Max's hand. She didn't want to break the contact she'd made with him. It felt like she'd wake up out of a dream if part of her weren't touching him. She smiled at Tess. "I'm glad you're back." She said, drying away a tear.

"Me too." Tess admitted. They could see she'd been crying.

"Who are you?" Alex asked, looking towards Taye. He had yet to let Isabel out of his arms.

"I'm Taye." He said, extending a hand to Liz and Alex. "I helped return Max, Michael, Maria, Isabel and Tess safely."

"Where's Nasedo?" Liz asked.

"We'll talk about that later, too." Max said.

Then Liz remembered Jacey. She had been sound asleep in the stroller while all the commotion was going on. She smiled at Max.

"I have someone I'd like you to meet." She said, looking at the group.

She went to the stroller and bent down. Slowly and carefully she lifted Jacey out of the stroller and into her arms. She uncovered her enough just so everyone could see her face.

"This," she said, positioning the baby so everyone could see. "is Jacey, our daughter." Her eyes meet Max's.

Max didn't know if she was talking about him or Alex. He was confused. She had stressed "our" when she had looked at him. But how was that possible? Unless.

"She's beautiful." Max began. "How old is she?"

Alex smiled. "She is a little over a month old." He said.

Max's mind began thinking. That would mean Liz had been pregnant before they'd left, which meant that.he was the father. Tears sprung to his eyes as he looked at the baby again. He had a daughter! His mind began to swirl.

"She's yours too." Liz said, holding her out to Max. "Would you like to hold her?"

Max looked nervous. "When?"

Liz laughed. She'd had nine months to get used the fact she'd been pregnant. Max had only been giving two minutes to get used to being a father. "Remember that night we were supposed to look through Tess's journals?" She asked.

Max blushed. He remembered that night so clearly. And this was the result, a beautiful baby girl, as beautiful as her mother.

Maria rested the back of her head against Michael's chest. Liz and Max had a baby. Who would ever have thought? A tear slid down her cheek. She hated herself for not being there for Liz. It had to have been hell do deal with alone. But when she looked at the baby, all her sadness melted. She was the most beautiful thing Maria had ever seen. She smiled when the baby opened her eyes, Max's eyes.

Isabel squeezed Alex's hand tighter. How could she ever have assumed Jacey was his? She was glad that she wasn't. A part of her felt sad, knowing that she had thought she was pregnant and wasn 't. But she was happy. She'd become a mom someday. Until then, she could spoil her niece as much as possible.

Liz continued to try and hand Max the baby. He was very reluctant. Her eyes opened and Liz held her out to him one last time. This time, he took her. Carefully he cradled her in his arms. Their eyes met and for a moment it was like looking into his own. This was his child. He'd created life. He smiled at his daughter and could have sworn he seen her smile back. Then he looked at Liz. "I love you." He said.

Liz smiled back. "I love you too."

Part 30 | Index | Part 32
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.