FanFic - Other
"Letting Go"
Part 35
by Jamie Phelps
Disclaimer: Don't own them. Never have, never will. Would love to :-)
Summary: Max has come to terms with the relationship he and Maria share. Tess reveals some startling news the pod squad of something she uncovered in the compound while being held prisoner. The group is in their senior year of high school, but major changes lay ahead. When a call goes out to Nasedo offering a chance for the aliens to return home, they have to choose between what their mind and their heart says. Faced with the possibility of never seeing the humans again, the aliens must make a choice. Will they make the right one?
Category: Other
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: You must have read "Secrets" and "The Journey" or this fiction will not make sense to you. Please email at jamiep@egyptian.net or see the Other category on Crashdown.Com if you need either of the fictions.
Alex and Isabel were the last to arrive at the Crashdown. It was empty except for Max, Liz, Jacey, Taye, Tess, Kyle, Michael and Maria. They walked over to the table and sat down.

"So did you two get reacquainted?" Maria asked.

Isabel shot her a look but Alex just smiled. "Well reacquainted."

Max smiled. He didn't remember the last time they were all this happy. He had Liz and Jacey. Isabel had Alex. Tess had Kyle and Michael had Maria. Taye was the only one sitting at the table who didn't have anyone. But that would only be for a short time. There was no way he'd have trouble finding a girlfriend.

"Well we're all here." Kyle said. "What are we here for?"

Max laughed. "Just to hang out and talk. It's been almost a year since we were all together. Obviously there have been some changes in everyone's lives." He looked down at Jacey in his arms.

Liz looked up at him. He still hadn't told her where Nasedo was or why Taye was with them. She didn't want to pry but hoped he would at least tell them that.

Michael looked at Tess and smiled. It was now or never. "I'll start with my changes." He said, reaching down on the floor. "By the way," He said, handing Maria flowers. "these are for you."

Tears sprung to her eyes. It was the first time Michael had ever bought her something without reason. Well, except for the time he'd given her shampoo but she didn't really count that. She smiled at him.

That was all Michael needed from her to know that she'd understood. He turned to the rest of the group.

"As you know," He began. "I had the opportunity to meet my family. I found out I have a brother and a sister. I didn't get to meet my brother, however, a twist of fate led me straight to my sister. She 'd been missing for a long time and I was actually the one who found her."

"What was she like?" Liz asked. "Are you similar?"

"In some ways." Michael continued. "She doesn't look like me at all, but is like an exact copy of our mother. I look more like my father and grandfather."

He looked back over at Tess. "Scary part is she had been with me for almost sixth months before I knew she was my sister."

"I don't understand." Alex said. "How could it have been that long?"

"Because Tess is my sister." He said.

Kyle, Liz and Alex looked bewildered. Never in they're wildest dreams would they have suspected that Tess was his sister.

"Wow!" Liz said. "Guess that came as a shock."

"I think it shocked me more than it did him." Tess added. She turned to Kyle.

"That's why I'm going to move in with Michael." She said. "Neither of us have really ever had a family and this is our chance to get to know each other and create one."

"So there's nothing going on between the two of you?" Kyle asked.

Michael laughed. "No offensive, but if Tess wasn't my sister there still would be nothing going on. She's just not my type."

Maria smiled. Guess that meant she was Michael's type. She reached under the table and took his hand. "I think that's a good idea, you know, moving in together. That way you and Tess can show Taye the ropes and stuff. Get him on his own feet. He sacrificed a lot for us."

Tess liked how mature Maria was being with the whole situation. She knew she must have a lot of faith in Michael, to trust him living with another girl. Even though she knew they were brother and sister, Tess was worried herself. She knew what it was like to live with Kyle and Jim. What would it be like living with two guys who had no order to their life? She let out a giggle.

"What?" Michael asked.

"Nothing.I was just thinking how everything has turned out great." She said.

Isabel, who had been leaning on Alex in the booth, looked down. "Not everything." She said.

"What's wrong?" Alex asked, wrapping his arms around her tighter.

"Nasedo." She looked at Maria, Michael, Max, Taye and Tess. Their eyes seemed to fall to the ground too. They hadn't really talked about what had happened since Taye had told them.

"Nasedo died on our planet." Isabel said, tears falling from her eyes. "He sacrificed his life for us."

Max could see that it was all Isabel could do to get that sentence out. He continued. "My brother, Ian, killed him. From what I understand my father helped too."

Taye looked at Max. "I don't think your father knew that Taye was going to kill Nasedo. He sounded shocked when Ian went to kill him."

"What?" Liz asked startled. "How do you know all this?"

"I was there." Taye began. "I went to set Nasedo free. He had been captured upon his arrival to Aardon. When I realized just how much the five of them did not belong on the planet I told them the real reason they'd been sent for. Ian and Michael's father have been at war now for many years. Michael's father believed that if he could get his son to return there was a chance for peace, especially since Michael and Max are best friends. He didn't take into account that Ian wouldn't allow Michael or Tess anywhere near Max, Maria or Isabel. That's when I realized I needed to tell Michael the truth." He stopped and took a breath. Everyone seemed to be following him. "The plan was for me to free Nasedo and he and I pilot the ship back to earth together, with the five of you on it. When I got to where he was being held, he connected to me. I saw everything he'd ever seen or dealt with on earth. I even saw him navigating the ship to Aardon. When the connection ended I went to set him free but he wouldn't let me. He told me to run, that I didn 't have much time. I left him, promising to return them safely. When I was about to leave the cave, I overheard Ian and his father talking. Then Ian killed Nasedo." Taye lowered his head. He could remember the agony in Nasedo's voice. He hadn't died quickly. It had been a long, painful death. But he knew he could leave that detail out.

"How do you know he was dead for sure? Did you go back?" Alex asked. He couldn't believe his ears. Nasedo couldn't be dead.

"He was dead, Alex. There was no mistaken that." Taye turned to Max. "If I wouldn't have gotten out of there when I did, they'd have captured me too."

"We'd have never made it home." Max said, gently kissing Jacey on the forehead and pulling Liz closer.

"Nasedo knew he was going to die. That's why he connected to me." Taye finished. "He trusted me to return you all safely, even though he knew I kept the truth from him in the beginning."

A thought had occurred to Maria. Something that none of them had bothered to ask Taye since they'd returned home. "Why'd you do it?" She asked. "You know, return us here and risk your life for us."

Taye knew he was going to have to deal with the question sooner or later. He'd written a whole speech about why. But sitting there in front of Michael, Tess, Max, Maria, Isabel, Alex, Liz and Kyle he couldn't remember a word of it. For once in his life, he decided to go with the truth.

"They were selfish reasons." He began. "I didn't like living on Aardon. I thought there had to be somewhere better. I left home in search of that place. When I had the chance to come to earth, to return you and Nasedo to Aardon, I jumped at the chance. The more I got to know each of you, the more I longed to live the life you lived on earth. Besides, my family wasn't even who they used to be anymore. I returned home late one night and was greeted by my father. He wanted me to take over his position on the planet and prepare for war. I couldn't do it. When I left that night, he told me to never return again. And I didn't. So he sent for my brother and his friends." Taye glanced towards Michael to see if any of this was registering with him. "Imagine my surprise when I learned that my brother was returning. At first I was angry, but after I met him, that anger and hatred turned to concern. I knew Aardon was know place for him to be." He looked up towards Michael again, this time noticing a look of shock on his face. "So I guess after saying all that, the main reason I did it was so I could help my brother.and as I later found out my sister."

"Huh?" Kyle said confused.

"Michael and Tess." Maria said smiling. "You're their brother aren't you? That's why you helped us. It wasn't your original plan but in the end you did. Did Nasedo know?"

Taye smiled. "Yes," He said, shyly. "I am their brother. I knew from the moment I met Michael in the cabin going to Aardon that he was my brother, but I couldn't say anything. Remember I was angry with him because our father had called upon him. Even though I'd been the son to stay on our planet. But I realized after meeting him, that there was nothing bad about Michael or the rest of you. Your home was earth and no matter how much our fathers tried to convince us otherwise, it always would be. That's when I knew I had to help get you back to earth. As for Nasedo knowing, I think he suspected it. He could tell that I had a connection with someone on board the ship. That's why he chose me as an ally when he knew he couldn't save you. I know I can never go back to Aardon. I'll be killed if I do. But that was a sacrifice I chose to make because I knew my real family was returning to earth." He looked at Tess and Michael.

Michael didn't know what to say. He'd given up hope of ever meeting his brother and as it turned out, he'd been with him all that time. Now that he looked at Taye, he could see there were some similarities between them. Both had the dark eyes and were on the taller side. Taye didn't seem as mysterious as Michael, but he carried a stonewall around him just as high as Michael's. Maria squeezed his hand tighter.

"Wow." Was all he could say.

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner." Taye continued. "In fact I'd never planned on telling you. But for once in my life I thought, what the hell, I'm going to tell the truth. And do you know that it actually feels good?"

Tess smiled. She couldn't believe that Michael AND Taye were her brothers. When she'd arrived on the planet she had no hopes of ever seeing her family. Then BOOM! Everything hit her all at once. She looked at Taye. "Thank you." She said.

"For what?" He asked.

"For saving us and returning us here. If it wasn't for you." She let her voice trail off.

"Yeah, thanks man." Michael said. "I owe ya one."

"Allowing me to stay here on earth with you is enough for me." Taye said. "I don't ever want to return to Aardon"

"You won't have to." Michael said. "You're family's right here."

"Bathroom break." Maria yelled. She jumped up over Michael and headed for the door. She couldn't break down crying in front of everyone. She walked in and slumped down next to the wall burying her head into hands. She'd been too worried about trying to get home and now all the emotions that had built up inside of her exploded. Her life would never be the same. When she thought about how close she'd come to never being able to see earth again, she sobbed harder. She was sobbing so hard she didn't even hear the door open and the person come into the bathroom. The figure slid down the wall beside her.

"What's wrong?" Maria jumped at the sound of Isabel's voice. She made contact with her eyes and could see that Isabel had been crying too.

"I guess my emotions are finally catching up with me. I'm so happy to be home. I'm so happy to see Liz and Alex. I'm happy for Max, Liz and the baby. I'm just happy." Maria sobbed.

Isabel leaned over and hugged her. "I know what you mean." She said, tears beginning to fall from her eyes again. "I can't ever remember us being this happy."

"Do you think it'll ever end?" Maria asked, trying to wipe some of the running mascara from her face.

Isabel laughed. "I think that's a question we'll never have an answer for." She stood up and reached her hand out to Maria, pulling her to her feet.

"These last two years have been hell." Maria said, checking herself in the mirror.

"They have been. I won't deny that." Isabel added. "But would you trade them?"

Maria thought about it for a minute. She'd found out she was an alien and that Max and Isabel were her brother and sister, killed her father, found the real Tess, flew to her planet, learned Michael, Tess, and Taye were brothers and sister and to top it all off she'd found out Max and Liz were parents. Would she ever trade that? A smile spread across her face. "Never."

Together they walked out of the bathroom and back over to the table. She leaned back onto Michael and for a second watched all those around. Max leaned over and kissed Liz gently on the lips before switching Jacey to his other arm. That baby meant more to Max than words could describe. Tess draped her arms around Kyle's neck and pulled him close so she could kiss him. A smile spread across her face. Taye flashed Michael a smile. A smile, Maria realized, that was meet with the exact same smile from Michael. Isabel looked over and noticed Maria watching everyone. She smiled at her. There was no way she'd ever trade the past two years. Everything was perfect, she watched as Isabel turned and kissed Alex. Perfect was the only word to describe it. She felt Michael's hand on the back of her neck. She turned around and their eyes meet. She knew they'd never be apart. Michael pulled her close and kissed her passionately. It was good to be home.

Part 34 | Index
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.