FanFic - Other
"Love Takes Time"
"Into the Night"
Part 11
by Mellissa
Disclaimer: Roswell, the characters, and situations are owned by the WB. No infringement intended.
Summary: Alex POV
Category: Other
Rating: PG-13
"Um guys?" I ask. Max and Liz are examine the two babies, with Isabel and Michael looking on. I'm obviously the only one that's noticed Maria's unconscious state.

Liz turns slightly. I ca see the desperation on her face. The second baby, a boy, isn't breathing. The other, a girl, seems to be doing fine.

"Alex, what is it?" she asks, impatiently.

"Maria's, kind of, passed out," I say. Michael's eyes widen, and the thoughts of his children fly out of his brain, as he rushes over to Maria.

"Maria?" he asks, clutching her hand. "Maria?" he asks again. She doesn't awake.

"This is bad," Isabel whispers.

* * *

We're at the hospital now. The news hasn't been good. Maria and Michael's little boy was pronounced dead on arrival. Michael isn't taking it well. He's just staring into space.

The girl's doing better. She's healthy and strong.

Maria...Maria's in a coma.

Liz is hysterical. And Mrs. DeLuca isn't any better. Max is over with both them. Mrs. DeLuca doesn't like me very much.

Isabel is too silent. I'm sitting next to her. But, that means nothing to her. Because she doesn't notice.

When you feel alone
And the world has turned its back on you
Give me a moment please to tame your wild wild heart
I know that you feel like the walls are closing in on you
It's hard to find relief and people can be so cold
When darkness is upon your door and you feel like you can't take it anymore

"Izzy?" I ask softly. I tap her on the shoulder. She turns to me, eyes filled with tears.

"Alex, if anything happens to Maria, it's all our fault." The words sting. Isabel can't feel responsible. Michael already does.

"No, it's not. Listen, this is no one's fault. We didn't know what could happen, remember? We still don't. Maria's coma...could be something that happens when...your people give birth," I tell her.

"Alex...what about the little boy? How can you explain that?" she asks. I hesitate. Because I can't explain why the baby died.

"Isabel, we should just wait for more answers," I say putting my arm around her.

Let me be the one you call
If you jump I'll break your fall
Lift you up and fly away with you into the night
If you need to fall apart
I can mend a broken heart
If you need to crash then crash and burn
You're not alone

It's been a few hours. Mrs. DeLuca went home. The doctors said there was nothing they could do. Liz looked surprised when she actually left, but Mrs. DeLuca looked pretty bad. She looked really bad, in fact. It would have done no good for her to stay here.

Isabel and Max both went home. Their parents called and ask them to come home. Liz, Michael, and I are the only ones still here. Liz is at the nursery, looking at the little girl. The name plate says 'Baby Girl Guerin.' That was Mrs. DeLuca's idea. If something happened to Maria, Michael could have rights to her. I think Mrs. DeLuca expects something to happen to her.

Michael's sitting outside of Maria's door. He's been in the same spot for hours. I don't know why he doesn't go in.

When you feel all alone
And a loyal friend is hard to find
You're caught in a one way street
With the monsters in your head
When hopes and dreams are far away and
You feel you can't face the day

"Michael?" I ask, sitting next to him.

"Yeah?"

"Why aren't you in there?" I ask.

After a moment, he answers. "I don't think I can face her."

"Yeah," I answer, "yeah, you can."

"What if she wakes up, and doesn't want me to be there?" he asks. "I did this to her. I just knew who I was was going to hurt her."

"Stop the self-pity, Michael," I tell him. "She's not going to stop loving you. She knows you don't want to hurt her. She knows that no one knew what was going to happen. She's accepted that."

"Do you really think so?" he asks, looking as hopeful as I've ever seen him look.

Let me be the one you call
If you jump I'll break your fall
Lift you up and fly away with you into the night
If you need to fall apart
I can mend a broken heart
If you need to crash then crash and burn
You're not alone

"Yeah, I do. You should go in there. She needs you. And when Maria's better, you guys have a baby who's gonna need you. So, just go in there."

"Thanks, Alex," he answers. He doesn't move at first.

Because there has always been heartache and pain
And when it's over you'll breathe again
You'll breathe again

When you feel all alone
And the world has turned its back on you
Give me a moment please
To tame your wild wild heart

"What're you waiting for?" I ask.

"I'm scared. I can't live without her, you know? Regardless of what you all think, I do love her."

"I know that, Michael. She needs you to tell her that," I answer.

Let me be the one you call
If you jump I'll break your fall
Lift you up and fly away with you into the night
If you need to fall apart
I can mend a broken heart
If you need to crash then crash and burn
You're not alone

Michael Guerin stands up, and goes into the hospital room. I decide to go join Liz at the nursery.

Email Author | Back to FanFic Page
Part 12
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.