FanFic - Other
"Love Takes Time"
"Let it Slip Away"
Part 18
by Mellissa
Disclaimer: Roswell, the characters, and situations are owned by the WB. No infringement intended.
Summary: Michael POV
Category: Other
Rating: PG-13
"So, Michael, be honest," Max says to me. The lights are still on at the club, and Alex's band hasn't taken the stage yet. This would explain why I am hearing what Max is saying. If the band were on, Maria'd be on stage. And when she's in my view, I don't notice much else.

"About what?" I ask. I shift Emily a bit so I can take a sip of soda. Emily goes everywhere with us. It's lot cheaper than to hire a baby-sitter.

"This past month. How hard has it been?" he asks. I think about the question. It's been a month since Maria and Emily came home. It's been tough, but we've stuck it out so far. With Maria's job at the Crashdown and some gigs like these, plus my full-time summer job at the UFO Center, we've been able to just get by. Thanks to the Parkers and Maria's mother, we have plenty of stuff for Emily.

"Not as hard as it's been if it wasn't for all you," I answer. It's probably the nicest thing I've ever said to them. I find I'm doing that a lot. Maria says Emily's softened me up. She's probably right. "I mean, Liz, your dad lets Emily hang out in the back while she's working. That's cool of him. And, it's always great when you guys can take her off our hands for an hour or so a week. You guys have been a big help," I reply.

"My dad doesn't mind, " Liz answers. She's a little uncomfortable, I can tell. For the past month, Max has been giving her those soulmate looks. And, she obviously doesn't feel that way anymore. I wonder how much longer that one's going to last.

"Besides, we all love Emily. Of course, I always call her by her full name," Isabel declares. We all laugh. It's no accident that Emily's got the perfect middle name. Isabel's probably the most devoted relative she's got.

"Would that have anything to do with the fact her middle name is Isabel?" Max asks, grinning. Isabel surprises us all by sticking her tongue out at him. I guess being around Alex 24/7 has had a good effect on my sister.

It's weird how in the past month, I've started to refer in my brain to everyone as family. Maria's definitely right about Emily having softened me up.

"Shh...they're on," Isabel whispers as the lights dim. She's glued to Alex on stage. I can't help but shake my head. The girl's completely hopeless.

Then again, who am I to talk? The minute Maria walked up the microphone, the world around me disappeared.

I had it all
But I let it slip away
Couldn't see that I treated you wrong...
Now I wander around
Feeling down and cold
Trying to believe that you're gone...

I had probably screwed up too many times in the past than could be counted. If not for this little miracle I hold in my arms, the only time I'd ever sleep with my arms wrapped around Maria would be in my dreams.

And I could live with that. But I'm glad I don't have to.

Love takes time
To heal when you're hurting so much
Couldn't see that I was blind
To let you go
I can't escape the pain inside
Love takes time
I don't wanna be here alone...

Amy's been a bit better this last month. She did donate a lot of Maria's old baby stuff. Of course, she did say it was only out of concern for her granddaughter. I know it hurts Maria more than she says, this distance between her and mother. I had hoped being with me and Em would be enough, but it's not enough.

Losing my mind
From this hollow in my heart
Suddenly I'm so incomplete
Lord I'm needing you now...
Tell me how to stop the rain
Tears are falling down endlessly

...

With Maria's birthday coming up next week...I knew it was a long shot...but I had invited Amy to come over.

I hoped it works out.

----

Love takes time
To heal when you're hurting so much
Couldn't see that I was blind
To let you go
I can't escape the pain inside...

"Mom!" I hear Maria say as she opens the door. I'm in the bedroom, changing Emily. I can hear Amy's voice, but not what she's saying. Maria's much louder than her mother. When Em's screaming in the middle of the night, I definitely know where she gets it.

"Michael?" Maria calls. That's my cue. I grin as I pick up Em, and leave the room.

"Hey, Mrs. DeLuca," I say. Amy looks a little uncomfortable, but Maria's smiling brightly, so things must be better.

"Hello, Michael. I can see Maria's redecorated the place since the last time I was here," she says. I look around, and can see what she means. Some curtains on the windows, it's pretty clean, and there are a lot of pastels. Definitely a woman's touch. And you can smell the cypress oil in the air, mixed with strawberries and peaches.

"I told him there was no way I'd live here with the way it looked then," Maria said. She bit her lip, and looked down. I guess she didn't mean it the way it came out. Amy shifts her feet.

"So, I really had no choice," I say, breaking the tension and silence in the room. "When she talks, you have no choice but to stand up and listen. I guess all you DeLuca women are like that."

Love takes time
I don't wanna be here alone
You might say that it's over
You might say that you don't care
You might say you don't miss me
You don't need me
But I know that you do and I feel that you do inside...

"You'd better believe it," Amy says finally, grinning. She takes Emily from me, and starts talking baby-talk to her. I don't care how much more mature, intelligent and superior women claim to be. Give them a little infant, and they're reduced to mere putty.

"Maria, I almost forgot. I picked up your favorite cake from the Crashdown," she says, looking away from Em for a minute. Maria's grin spreads across her face, and this time it looks genuine.

----

Later, after Amy's left, and Emily's down for her nap, I'm in the kitchen, cleaning up some dishes. It's another little side affect of having worked part-time as a dishwasher at the Crashdown this spring.

"Thanks, Michael," Maria says, sitting at the counter.

"What for?" I ask. Not like I don't know.

"For helping mend the rift with my mother. I know it was your doing. She told me you invited her."

I shrugged. Not matter how soft I get, I'm still not used to doing nice things.

Love takes time
To heal when you're hurting so much
Couldn't see that I was blind
To let you go
I can't escape the pain inside...
Love takes time
I don't wanna be here alone

"It was no problem. She's your mom, and all," I say, not looking at her.

"You know, I love my mom and all, but I don't think I could ever go back to being a normal teenage girl," she says.

"When were you normal?" I ask, joking. I'm glad the conversation a little less serious. I don't deal well with serious conversations.

"Well, spaceboy, right up 'til you came into my life," she jokes back. I'm a little silent. She's right. Before Liz was shot, all of our lives were quasi-normal. Does she ever miss that?

"Oh, well. Besides, normal's overrated," she replies, grinning. She leans forward and plants a small kiss on my nose. We don't have many of these little tender moments. Not enough time, and I'm not exactly a sensitive person. I reach out and grasp her face, kissing her deeply and softly. Might as well take advantage of the mood while we're not fighting.

"You know I love you right?" I ask, pulling away. I don't think I've ever told her directly.

"But of course, how could you resist moi?" she asks, grinning. And, God, is she right. "Besides, spaceboy, I love you, too."

We just stand there sort of staring at each, realizing what's just happened. The sound of Emily crying brings up back to reality.

It's gonna be a long tough road ahead of us, but I'm pretty confident we'll be able to do it.

Email Author | Back to FanFic Page
Part 19
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.