FanFic - Other
"No Guarantees "
Part 2
by alien squeeze
Disclaimer: I don't own, just gonna borrow. I also don't own the song on the radio in the story. That's Dido's!!!
Summary: Valenti knows and help comes from an unexpected source.
Category: Other
Rating: R
Isabel shoved another sweater into her duffel bag, tears lightly running down her cheeks. She angrily shoved a stray piece of blonde hair behind her ear. A small sob was stuck in her throat.

Isabel's door opened and Max gave her a half-hearted smile. "You ready to go, Is?"

She nodded and walked towards him with her stuff. "Wait." she whispered. "I forgot something." She walked to her dresser and picked up a small silver picture frame. It was her favorite picture of her, Max, and the Evans'. She ran a finger of her parent's faces. "Let's go."

Max ushered her out the door. They had waited until dark to leave. It would be easier to slip away. The night was void of stars and the moon. Isabel realized that her life from here on out would be nothing but an endless night, no specs of light to help her through. A cold breeze whipped the air and she pulled her jacket tight around her and climbed silently into the car. Max put the key in the ignition and started the Jeep. Isabel looked at the house. That was her home. Her happiest memories had been there. Now, she was leaving the only place she had ever felt loved and completely safe.

"Max, I don't know if I can go through with this," she whispered.

Max reached out and took her hand. "You will because you know it's our only chance. We knew that this day would come so now we have to stick with the plan."

Isabel nodded her head. She couldn't speak. Max squeezed her hand and then turned on the radio.

All you want
Is right here in this room
All you want
All you need
Is sitting here with you

"We'll get through this," he whispered.

"Swear to me, Max. Tell me that we'll all be fine," Isabel said, turning to look at him.

"I swear to you that I'll do everything I can to make things alright," said Max.

"That's not what I said, Max."

Max sighed. "That's all I can swear to, Is. There are not guarantees. I wish I could give you a better answer."

Isabel stared straight out the window. "I just wish we had more time." *****************************

Maria sat silently at the end of Michael's bed. His bag was already packed before she had gotten there. Now he was collecting a few things he wanted to take with him in case of an emergency.

Michael hadn't said a word to Maria since she'd gotten there. Then again, she'd been there only a few minutes. Maria couldn't bring herself to speak, to cry, to complain, or even breathe at this point. She and Michael had just come to an understanding about each other just a month ago. They relationship was less volatile and they were taking thinks slower than they had the week of the heatwave. Now it seemed that they were out of time.

Michael reached under his mattress and pulled out a knife and slipped it into his bag.

"What the in the hell is that for!?" asked Maria.

"Protection and hunting," he said with a shrug.

"You are not carrying a concealed weapon Michael. You can get charged carrying that!" yelled Maria. "Well it doesn't matter, now does it. We're already wanted by the cops, the FBI, and god knows who else at this point."

Maria jumped up off the bed and reached into the bag. "I don't care! You are not going to have that thing in my car!"

Michael grabbed her wrist. "Maria! Just leave it!"

Maria frantically went for the knife. "No! What happens if they catch you with it! What if you're holding it when...if they catch you? They'll shoot you, Michael. They will shoot you!"

Maria's voice cracked and she slid to the floor, a loud sob escaping her throat. The tears that she thought would never come were now suddenly streaming down her face. She looked up at Michael, cheeks flushed. "I can't lose you, Michael. Not now, not after we've finally found a way to make this work."

Michael relaxed his grip on her wrist and sat down beside her. He pulled her to him, folding his strong arms around her shoulders. He rand his fingers through her short, blonde hair. "It's okay."

Maria shook her hair. "No, it's not. You can't guarantee that. I can't bare to lose someone else I love."

Michael's heart skipped a beat. He tilted her face up to his and leaned in. His lips brushed against hers softly. He leaned in again, catching her trembling bottom lip between his. Maria clung to him, wrapping her around him like she'd never let go. That's when the images hit her.

Third grade talent show and she was on stage doing yoga in a little pink leotard.

Eighth grade Christmas formal and Maria was dancing with Tommy Vandros.

Finally, Maria sleeping on her bed in a pair of blue boxers and a white tank top.

Michael pulled back and traced her lips with his fingers. Maria gave a weak smile. Not only had she seen these images through Michael's eyes, she'd felt his emotions,too. The one that struck her the most was the way he had wanted to hold her while she laid sleeping.

"You spied on me while I was sleeping," said Maria, smiling slightly and playfully punching him in the arm.

Michael nodded. "Yeah but don't let it go to your head, princess."

Maria stood up. "We'd better get moving."

Michael grabbed Maria's outstretched hand and stood up. "We'll find a way to get through this, okay."

"You'd better, spaceboy. I can't guarantee that I'll wait any longer than 20 years for you."

Email Author | Back to FanFic Page
Part 3
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.