FanFic - Max/Liz
"One Night Forever"
Part 3
by Mslayer713
Disclaimer: All the greatness that is 'Roswell' belongs to my fav people- The WB.
Summary: One Night decides the fate of the whole gang as the future looms near.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: R
Authors Note: As always, feedback is wanted! And I want to give a shot out to Brie, who's always there for me, Amanda, who is my best friend, and Renata, who's been such a great help with all of my stories!! :>)
Michael watched as she got under the covers, sighing and letting her face look toward her mirror. He didn't have to look to see what was there; he knew it by heart. There, in the corner of her mirror, was a picture of him and her. It was taken outside of the dome in Marathon, Texas.

The day had been sunny and perfect. All eight of them had been there: Him, her, Max, Isabel, Liz, Alex, Tess, and Kyle. They all went back one last time to search the house over, making sure that they left nothing unturned.

Maria had been quiet the whole way up, and even more once they got there. Michael had noticed the look in her eyes as they passed the 'nookie' hotel, but had curbed his impulse to respond. But now...his 'spider senses' were going wild.

He saw her walk over to the window and look out, standing quietly and being lost in her thoughts. Michael walked up to her and mumbled a 'hey', prompting her to spin around.

"Michael! you scared me."

He shrugged and looked at out the window. "Nice view?" he asked, not being able to speak his worries.

Maria tore her eyes off of him and glanced back out the window. "Um...yeah, I mean, I guess," she said finally.

Michael nodded and crossed his arms, turning his body toward hers. "You don't seem too happy to be back here," he commented lightly.

Maria looked at him for a second then said softly, "No...the complete opposite."

Michael eyed her as she looked out around the room. She smiled tightly at Liz and walked over, helping her go through a box. He watched her with interest, wondering what she was thinking. Granted, their relationship was in a 'off' phase right now, but he was still bothered by her thoughts.

Michael let the thoughts of that day roll through his mind, and how all eight had ended up in a picture. Michael, of course, was pouting on one end, but had managed to get a spot near Maria. After the pic was taken, and copies were made, Maria cut out her and Michael, and placed it in her mirror. And that's where it stayed for the past year and a half.

He glanced at the whole pic on her nightstand and knew that was the last time he'd see all of them at once. He was leaving in the morning and this was the last time he could see her, watch her, and maybe touch her.

He still loved her. As much as he tried to deny it, it was true. Did she know? He wasn't sure. He had said it, once. It was right after Pierce was killed, and he was using it as an excuse to break-up with her. He loved her too much to see her get hurt, especially by him. Maria had seemed as shocked as he was once it had escaped his lips.

Michael hadn't even knew it was true until he had said it. And by then, everything was messed up. And here he was, two years down the road and he still loved her, and everything was still messed up. And mainly, because of that situation, he was eager to leave this place; to stop causing her pain.

Michael fixed his eyes back on Maria as she tossed onto her side, reaching for the lamp. She clicked it off and Michael saw how she slowly laid down into her bed, her eyes resting on the window.

He jumped back quick, resting his back against her house. Had she seen him?

***

Alex tossed the ball up into the air again, catching it easily in his palm. Why was he even trying? It was after midnight, but he was wide awake; his thoughts drifting back to a certain 'non-human' female.

"When aren't they?" he asked with a laugh.

But something was different tonight. Usually when Alex thought about her, it was just that, a thought. But tonight, his thoughts seemed to be going somewhere. And he was getting answers.

Alex looked at his back fence gate once more before returning to his task at hand; occupying his mind before it dripped out of his head. The ball shot up into the air again, being caught nicely once more. She was close, he knew it. Isabel was upset or in trouble, and needed him.

The waiting was the worst Alex deducted. He knew something was gonna happen; it was in the air, but not in sight. The night just seemed to go on and on, not caring that the knot in his chest was getting tighter and tighter.

The 'hell' that is life was draining him. The last two and a half years, Alex had found out quite a few things. a) there were such things as aliens, b) they looked like any other normal teenager, c) they had powers, d) he was in love with one of them, and finally, e) it seemed all aliens come with a preordained life mate.

And who said life was hell?

Alex took one last shot with his ball and it flew up into the air--way too far up. Alex watched with a weird expression as the ball fell a few feet to his left, rolling until it hit the gate. Alex stood still, not knowing what to do.

He slowly walked over to it, taking note of the change in the air. He was suddenly chilled, and even felt a shiver go down his spine.

Here it was; the moment of truth, but was he ready for it?

***

Tess Harding watched with a curious face as he sat the kitchen table alone, staring at the hard wood surface. She could see from her vantage point of the window that the table was clear, nothing for him to be reading or looking at in sight. He was just sitting there, thinking.

Tess knew the feeling. She had done a lot of that lately. Every time she came near Max, he'd put up some kind of barrier, preventing her from getting too close. Not that she wasn't used to that-he'd been doing for the whole two years she'd known him.

But after they received the news, it had gotten worse...

The knowledge of Nasedo being discovered was delivered to Max and Michael by Milton. It was posted on a 'believers' site on the internet that a traitor was brought forth from within the FBI; and apparently he was able to get really deep in, for years, before anyone was the wiser.

Milton, not knowing of his employees evolvement, spilled the juicy news with glee. Tess had no idea how Max had explained his need to leave work, but ten minutes later he was rushing into the Evans' household with Michael right on his heels.

Tess could barley hold back her tears as she thought about all they had found out. Nasedo wasn't just killed for his penance, he was tortured. And eventually, they got what they wanted: The truth about Max, Isabel, Michael, and her.

Tess wavered on her emotions over Nasedo. Should she be upset and angry that he essentially turned them over to the enemy? Or sad 'cause the only person she had had, for years apon years, was missing and possibly dead?

It wasn't a new concept to the Special Unit about there being real aliens. But, until his real identity was revealed, only Pierce/Nasedo knew the truth. When he was still alive, Pierce took every precaution to make sure no one messed up his intentions--which meant no one but him knew the real identity of Max Evans.

But now, they all knew. And it was Nasedo, their protector, who had given them away. Again, tears sprung to her eyes and she wiped them away hastily, taking in a shaky breath.

She wasn't gonna pity herself. All of them, even if they didn't want to admit it, knew it was bound to happen one day. And the day had finally came, and it was time to decide. What should they do?

After talking it to death, they had decided to leave as soon as possible. The issue was more or less forced by Michael, who was so jumpy he was about to punch through the walls. Max was next to finally agree. He thought it was right for them to leave; they couldn't stay and put everyone they cared about in danger.

Tess wasn't dumb, nor naive. She knew he was talking about Liz. Max didn't want to put his precious Liz in harms way. She knew it was gonna kill him, but he would leave if it meant everyone else would be alright.

Isabel was on a different plane then her brother, because she fought the issue fiercely. She tried to reason with them, saying that the others could help, even Valenti would. She refused to leave her parents, saying she loved them too much to have to say goodbye. And then finally admitted that she was finally starting to work things out with Alex, and would miss him.

Tess watched the scene with a detached feeling, not really letting her emotions come into play. She'd spent the last two years here, living with Michael and actually feeling like a normal family with a normal life. She was asked hastily by Michael if she was with him or Isabel.

Tess had glanced at her brother then at Isabel, seeing the fear and loneliness resting in her eyes. She blinked back tears and looked at Max, silently begging for help. But he just looked at the floor, not letting his eyes meet hers. She knew he was in a conflict of his own.

Whatever Tess decided, it was it; she was the remaining vote. If she sided with Isabel, they would stay; or until Micahel convinced them other wise. If she went with him, it was all gone. Her normal family, her normal life.

Without one emotional feeling in her voice, she whispered her reply. They were leaving. She saw the relief in Michael's eyes; heart-ache but determination in Max's. Tess finally met Isabel's face and was shocked at what she found.

Isabel's face was red and etched with anger and betrayal, but her eyes told a different story. They were full of loneliness and heart-ache also.

She jumped out of her seat and stormed over to Tess, yelling about how she could do this. Making her leave her friends and family. Tess could feel her guilt rising and just sat, shocked as Isabel was pulled away by her brother, still ranting about how she didn't want to leave.

Max shot Tess a look of sympathy over his sisters shoulder as she collapsed into his arms, sobbing and mumbling about her parents and Alex.

Tess took another shaky breath and felt hot tears burn her cheeks. She let these fall. They weren't for her, they were for Isabel, Max, and Michael. They all had past and emotions attached to Roswell, but she was free.

She looked back at the man in the window and wished he could help save her. If the truth had to be told, she didn't want to leave Roswell either. It was the closest thing she had to a home, and wanted to keep hold of that.

Maybe that's why she felt like she had betrayed Isabel so much. She actually knew how she felt, but denied it. She didn't want to be drug down by her emotions. Nasedo had always told her that emotions were for humans; and humans were weak.

But she couldn't deny her feelings for much longer. She cared deeply for them all. And she even had more-then-friendship feelings for another. Another who was not Max Evans.

Tess had spent the past two years waiting for him to come around, to finally see that Liz was gone, and would never come back. But Max refused to see it; going to the Crashdown every free chance to try and talk to her. But she held her ground, never letting him get too close.

She had to even give her credit. Liz was so much braver then she let on. She had let Max go, even though she loved him deeply, to fulfil his destiny with another girl. How many would that? Not many.

Tess almost laughed as she thought about their leaving. Maybe, with Liz out of the picture, Max would finally come around. Yeah, and maybe the FBI would give up and let them be. Tess couldn't decide which was more ridiculous, the first or second.

With one more look into the window, Tess spun around and left, walking away from the Valenti household.

Part 2 | Index
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.