FanFic - Other
"One Night Forever"
Part 9
by Mslayer713
Disclaimer: I don't own 'em.
Category: Other
Rating: R
*I just want to feel...safe in my own skin
I just want to be...happy again
I just want to feel...deep in my own world
But I'm so lonely I don't even want to be myself anymore

On a different day...if I was safe in my own skin
Then I wouldn't feel...lost and so frightened
But this is today...and I'm lost in my own skin
And I'm so lonely I don't even want to be myself anymore
And I'm so lonely I don't even want to be myself anymore

I just want to feel...safe in my own skin
I just want to be...happy again*
"Honestly Ok" by Dido

Sometimes even the sun can't reach the most darkest places. Sometimes the night can win over the morning, the dark beats the light, evil triumphs over good, and heart-ache is the winner over love. The dark takes over the heart and turns it cold, and only true love can reheat it.

Liz Parker knew that feeling; it was happening to her right now. She could literally feel the ice crawling over her heart, freezing all of her emotions expect heart-ache. What was that saying? "Better to have loved and lost then to never have loved at all." Whoever wrote that never knew true heart-ache.

She could feel the tears coursing down her face, making black streaks from her make-up. She hadn't even washed it off last night before Max had come to her. Liz let 'em fall, not even trying to wipe them off. They were a symbol of her love, draining from her as he left. Cheesy? Yes. True? Even more.

The sun was fully up now, shining brightly into her eyes, but the never looked away from the destination; the way Max had went. That's where her heart was, and where wanted she to be.

Could she really have gone with him? Yes, in heart-beat. Max was her heart, her breath, her reason for living. How was she gonna survive with out him?

"It gets easier," a voice said from behind her.

Liz spun around to see Eddie standing there, holding onto the reigns of a beautiful black horse. She noticed how he seemed to be nervous, as if the wind blowing was about to spook him.

"What are you doing here?" she asked softly, turning back to the road.

"Looking for you."

"Me?" she asked in a sarcastic voice. "Why? Need more info on my friends? Well, let me give you this: they're gone, ok?"

"I was already aware of that."

Liz looked back at him and sighed. "How did you know?"

Eddie just stood there, looking into her eyes. "River Dog sent me. They're on the way."

"Who is?" Could this guy be more cryptic?!

"The alien hunters," Eddie said after a second.

Liz sucked in a short breath and could feel her resolve dissolving. How could they get here this fast? "Are you sure...maybe it's just...this isn't happening..."

Eddie let go of the horse and walked a few steps closer. "We need to leave here. Do you have another car?"

Liz shook her head no, not being able to speak. "You can't be seen in this. Hide it behind the rock and we'll ride my horse back."

"Back where?" she finally managed to get out.

"The reservation. River Dog will help."

Liz nodded and numbly started the jeep, carefully driving it behind the cave. She slowly climbed out and walked back out from behind the rock. Eddie was already upon the horse, holding out a hand. Liz cast one more glance at the vehicle before accepting the help and was pulled upon the wild animal.

She refused to put her arms around his waist, griping onto the saddle instead. She buried her face down into Max's leather jacket, letting the smell of him engulf her. As they rode past the old tower, Liz thought she caught a glance of a red car, but was too far away to be sure.

Not knowing how to react, Liz ignored her gut and kept quiet, letting her thoughts get lost in the scenery.

***

Michael took a deep breath and saw how Isabel was homing in on him, like he was one of the FBI.

"Michael...Max just walked away from the one person he loves more than anything, and you ask why he's so upset?"

"No...I understand that--"

"How?" Isabel demanded. "It's not like you really cared whether we left or not."

Michael saw red and let it all flow out. "Don't you ever say that. I--I...I refuse to let you say I don't!"

"Well, it was surely easy for you to give up someone you love so much!!"

"Hey! This is not helping!" Tess yelled suddenly, positioning herself in between the two aliens.

Michael was speechless as Isabel broke into sobs and turned around, running into a few brushes. He sighed and rubbed his temples, casting a look at Tess. "Tess--"

"Save it. She hates me." And with that she left also, climbing into the front seat and slamming the door with frustration. Michael looked and saw Max was still asleep, oblivious to all the anger racing around him. Maybe he was the lucky one.

Max could escape into his little "Liz World" and let the world float away. Maybe I should try that... Michael pulled out Maria's cedar oil and took a sniff, trying to get some control. After getting what he guess was enough, he took off after Isabel, hoping to get her to come back to the car.

***

Alex and Maria pulled into the reservation and climbed out, looking around for any one they knew. Maybe River Dog would be waiting for them. Yeah, right. Since when has it ever been that easy?

"Alex...look over there," Maria whispered, running to his side of the car. Alex looked and sure enough, there was a black car with no license plates. "Do you think..."

"We can't be sure. It could be anyone," Alex said, finally, in a calm voice.

Maria shrugged. "Sure I mean, everyone I know who isn't an FBI agent hunting aliens has a non-registered black Cadillac."

Alex looked at her and saw she was just barley keeping it all together. He squeezed her shoulder and started to walk away. "Come on, we gotta get up to the..." He let his voice trail off as guy in a gray suit walked out of one of the shops and took in his surroundings. "Get down, now!" Alex said, running back and pulling Maria down to the ground with him.

"Oh, god, is he one?" she asked, her voice wavering.

Alex sighed and looked out from their cover of his car. The guy was now barley moving his lips and holding his ear. "Yeah...he's talking over his radio."

"Did he see us?"

Alex ducked back down and pushed himself against the car. They could both hear footsteps coming toward them, the earth crunching under his calculated movements. Maria held her breath and pressed her eyes closed, prompting Alex to take her hand in an effort to comfort her.

Alex waited until she looked at him then mouth "it's gonna be ok". She nodded and closed her eyes again. Alex could tell the guy was right over their shoulder, and he held his breath also. A second later, their was a few mumbled words and then the agent walked away.

"Is he gone?" Maria asked, her eyes still closed.

Alex counted to three in his head then slowly rose, just in time to duck as the car drove past them. "Yeah, he's gone."

Maria took a deep breath and opened her eyes. Alex held out a hand and they both stood, trying not to look suspicious. There were a few people looking at them and Maria paled.

"They probably just think we were making out," Alex suggested, also noticing the onlookers.

Maria scoffed and hit him on the arm. "Alex, don't joke about this! They could be FBI." she hissed.

"You think I don't know that? It's just my way of dealing."

Maria looked at him a second then nodded. Hand in hand, they started toward the cave, hoping no one was following them.

Part 8 | Index | Part 10
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.