FanFic - Other
"Our Real Families"
Part 10
by Charmed Kitten
Disclaimer: I don't own them...just borrowing, but don't worry, I'll bring 'em back the way that I found them, all broken and depressed.
Summary: This is my thoughts on the aftereffects of Meet the Dupes with a bit of Max in the City or Journey to New York thrown in. I wrote the dupes without their accents, simply because it was easier to write. Hope you don't mind. Starts where Meet the Dupes ends....no spoilers just my own random thoughts. It does get a little dark later in the story, but not too bad. =)
Category: Other
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: This is my first Roswell fic so don't be too cruel to me, please? Hope you like it!
Isabel couldn't connect with Max and decided to wait until later that night to try again. The gang decided to watch movies until Isabel tried to connect with Max again.

Sitting on the couch were Maria, Michael, Liz and Ava. Kyle was sitting on the floor with his back against the arm of the couch by Maria. Isabel was sitting between Michael and Liz's legs holding Alex's hand as he sat between Liz and Ava's legs with his head against Ava's knee. Jim had gone home before they started watching movies. They were watching "Patch Adams."

Suddenly, Kyle spoke during the movie. "Wait a second." They all turned to him with a dirty look. "No, I just thought of something, stop the tape."

"Why, Kyle, what's so important that it can't wait...oh...a half an hour?" Michael asked impatiently.

"Liz and you said that you think that Alex is, was, Thanos, your cousin and Ava's brother in your other life, right?"

Michael immediately stopped the tape and muted the TV. "Yeah, and?"

"Well, if you guys found out that information from connecting then if you're right, then shouldn't Ava and Alex connect and find out if it's true and maybe they'll find out more," Kyle finished.

Maria spoke up, "He's right, you guys. I mean, after Liz said that we never really followed up on it. Alex, do you want to?"

"Yeah, I do. I mean, I agree with Liz that I always felt like it was weird that I didn't have a sister, but you and Liz helped to fill that spot some so I never really thought about it all that much. But if you don't want to Ava, I'd understand," Alex said quickly and gently to her as he looked up awkwardly at her from his position on the floor.

Ava giggled. Alex threw her a confused look, then it dawned on him, he probably looked really silly sitting in between her and Liz's legs on the floor with his head on the cushion between them looking up at her with a expression of concern and hope. *I probably look like a fool instead of a loving brother.* Alex thought with a pang that didn't show on his face. Instead he changed his facial expression to look even funnier from Ava's position above him. Ava started to laugh.

"God! You're such a cornball, Alex!" she said as she was laughing. She slowly calmed herself down. "Yes, I would like to connect with you. I was never really a part of them, Rath, Lonnie and Zan. I mean, I was, but I wasn't." Alex nodded his understanding, taking one of Ava's hand in his. "So, yeah. Let's do this." She smiled at Alex and then turned to look at Liz for her consent. Ava didn't understand why she always felt the need for her approval, but she accepted it. She had a feeling that it had to do with their past lives.

"Okay. It's settled then. Do you want to go upstairs to Liz's room or do you want to stay down here?" Isabel asked.

Alex answered her, "Down here should be fine." He looked at Ava for confirmation, which she gave.

Liz got Michael and Maria off the couch and told Alex to sit down next to Ava. Suddenly panic overtook Alex. Ava looked at him with concern and fear.

"What is it, Alex?" she asked.

"I...I....don't know what to do. I've never done this before and...and...what if I do it wrong...well, not it...but connecting with you..or whatever it is that we're going to be doing, but it's not going to be it..." Alex started to trail off as his face grew redder and redder.

Ava and the rest of the room laughed. "Cornball," Ava said lovingly. "Don't worry, I'll show you how, and I have a feeling that I'm not the one that you want to lose your cherry to, but she is in this room." She couldn't resist that jab. Alex's face turned bright red at Ava's statement. He quickly stole a peek underneath his eyelashes at Isabel. She met his gaze and blushed at what she now knew he was implying. As Isabel's face turned red as well, the rest of the gang cracked up.

Finally, Ava interrupted them. "Alright, enough already." They slowly began to calm down and Alex and Isabel's faces slowly returned to their normal color. Ava turned to Alex. "Alex." He turned and looked towards her at the sound of his name.

"All you have to do is to place your hands behind my ears like this," she said as she moved her hands behind his ears, "and you have to look at me, in my eyes and concentrate on me and matching my breathing pattern, okay?"

Alex nodded with a look of amazement on his face. "I can...I can hear you in my head. I know what you're feeling." He laughed like a little kid who had just found a new toy.

Ava laughed as well. She decided to have a little fun. *Alex, put your hands behind my ears, okay.* He nodded and moved his hands behind her ears, cradling her head. He smiled as he saw Ava's eyes start to tear up and he knew that she was hearing his thoughts.

*Wow. This is, this is amazing. Could I really have a sister? Am I really like Isabel, Michael and Max? And Tess? I'm going to have to change my attitude towards her when she gets back. She and Ava are my sisters. I'll protect them both the best that I can. Whoever hurts them will have to answer to me.*

Just then Alex found himself being dragged into Ava's memories.

He saw her emerging from her pod in the sewers and Rath being there to catch her as she fell. He felt her immediate connection to him and her love for him, as a brother, a protector and a friend. He saw and felt her hurt and confusion when he looked at her and said, "Well, if it isn't my High King's bride and my twin's betrayer." He felt her further pain and confusion when Lonnie and Zan pretty much ignored her. She knew that Zan cared for her, but he never put himself out for her. He continued to feel her isolation from the group and how she slowly pulled farther into herself as the years passed. He saw the break down of the group, how Rath and Lonnie started to resent and hate Zan. Then Alex saw and felt Ava's horror, pain and fear when she saw Rath and Lonnie kill Zan. He felt her fear when she worried that they would do the same to her and her obedience to them only to keep herself alive. He saw and felt her connection to Liz when she saw her and her confusion as to why. The hopelessness at the knowledge that she couldn't stop Rath and Lonnie from hurting and manipulating Max. Her hope when she saw that the car was too full for her. Her knowledge that this was her only escape from Rath and Lonnie, because Zan, no Max was there and wouldn't let them kill her. Her hope and concern for Liz and the knowledge that she was connected to her somehow. Her confusion at the events of the last few days but the inner peace that she felt that she was actually a part of a group and needed.

Ava was amazed at Alex's memories and feelings. She saw and felt his confusion and hurt as a child when his father basically ignored him and his deep love for his mother. She felt his love for his brothers, as well as his isolation from them, from everyone in his family. She saw him, Liz and Maria together and felt his love for them and how they made him feel less lonely and alone than before. She saw Isabel through his eyes, the first time he saw her and how his heart stopped, her growing up and her deep connection to Max and Michael, the way that she was with her other friends, how she held herself off from everyone and watched from a distance. She saw and felt his confusion when Liz and Maria started to pull away from him, she felt his anger and hurt when Maria accused him of stealing Liz's journal, his confusion when he gave blood for Max without knowing why, and his hurt and anger when Liz wouldn't tell him why. She also saw his reaction to the knowledge that Isabel, Michael and Max weren't quite human, and how he simply accepted it because Liz believed it. She was amazed by the ease and confidence he had in being the first to step forth during Michael's healing and how he knew deep inside of him that it was right. She felt his pain when he realized that Isabel was meant for Michael and not him, but then his hope and amazement when Isabel said she still wanted to be with him. But then she felt his embarrassment when he stripped for Isabel at her birthday party and in front of her mother, as well as his pain when he found out that she had planned on going on a date with Grant. She also felt his confusion yet calm acceptance of everything that was happening and his fear for Max and all of them.

Just as Ava finished and was about to break the connection, they were dragged deeper into their subconsciousness.

They saw their father, Kiril, who was a minor prince of one of High King Maximos' planets. He had been placed in charge by King Maximos after his marriage to Princess Meta, Prince Nareg's sister. They felt his love for his wife and children but also his deep need to prove himself and to make a name for himself as well as his love for power.

Their father was tall, about 5'11" with brown hair in a military style haircut. He had a baby face, round and gentle, that was a great cover for his harshness and ruthlessness on and off the battle field. He was sitting at a desk before a roaring fire, doing paper work.

They saw their mother, Metea, enter felt her love for her husband as well as her frustration. She was slender and fairly tall, about 5'6" or so, she had black hair that she had up in an elaborate fashion on the top of her head and an angular face that should have looked harsh and birdlike, but instead looked watchful and gentle.

They felt their love fill the room and increase when their children entered. Ava and Alex saw two children enter the room, one about 10 years old, the other about 6, they recognized themselves.

Thanos was tall and gangly even at that age, he didn't seem to fit his body. He had blond hair that was shaggy and simply fell around his face. He had an angular face like his mother that looked slightly more hawkish on him as well as thin lips that were open wide in laughter.

Ava had her father's face and was quickly gaining on her older brother in height. She had lips that were full and cherry red as well as a pug nose that was all crinkled as she laughed. She had porcelain skin, so white it looked like starlight. She also had blue-black hair like her mother's that reached her mid-back, which was loose and flowing behind her like a black waterfall.

The scene changed and they saw themselves standing behind Rath and Kalika before a mirror. They felt a great love for them as well as the beginnings of jealousy from Ava towards Kalika.

The scene changed once more and they saw a beautiful young woman dressed in a long dress of jade velvet trimmed in silver. She had her hair piled on top of her head in an elaborate fashion, but her hair was an amazing shade of red, brown and blond. She turned towards them and they were struck speechless by her eyes, they were like emeralds, sparkling green. They instinctively knew that she was Lady Raine, the foretold seer for the Once and Future King and his court. They saw her approach their former selfs and embrace them. They felt her love for them, shadowed by her fear of the knowledge that things would not go smoothly the first time around.

The next thing that they saw was a brick wall and then the connection broke.

"What the hell!" Ava screamed as she jumped up and started pacing. "What the hell was that with Lady Raine, Alex?"

Alex slumped against the couch in amazement and confusion. "I..I don't know, Ava. But she's important to us, to everyone of us."

"I know that! I'm not stupid, but what the hell is up with the brick wall?"

"Brick wall?" Kyle asked in confusion.

"Yeah. We saw Lady Raine embrace our former self, like right before a ball or event of some sort and we felt her love for us, but we also felt her fear, that it wouldn't go smoothly the first time around and that she had never felt that before with the others. And then we saw a brick wall and the connection was broken," Alex said.

Liz approached Ava as she paced. "Ava, honey. Calm down. Let's talk about this and try to figure it out, okay?" Liz reached out to pull Ava into a hug, but she jerked away. Liz couldn't stop the expression of pain that crossed her face or the tears that began to fill her eyes at Ava's rejection.

Ava immediately felt contrite and whispered, "Liz, I'm sorry, it's just that. I felt my former self's feelings towards you, and they weren't all good." Liz looked at her in confusion. Ava continued, "Sit down, okay? Please." Michael took Liz's hand and guided her down onto his lap and held her. He nodded for Ava to continue just as Alex stood and embraced Ava from behind. She leaned against him and everyone saw how Ava seemed to calm down and gather strength from Alex, her brother.

She opened her eyes and looked straight at Liz and no one else. "Liz, when Alex and I connected, I saw and felt how I felt as a child towards my parents, my brother and to my cousins. I also felt how I felt towards you when we were teenagers. Liz, I was jealous of you. Jealous of the fact that everyone loved you, of the fact that you were so beautiful and that you were so smart, while I knew I was beautiful as well, I also knew that I would never be as intelligent as you. And I knew that I could never love and be kind to everyone like you were. So I resented you and that fact." Tears filled Ava's eyes and began to fall as she continued. "I think that is what broke us apart. I think that my jealousy of you is one of the reason why Tess and you don't get along, I think she has that part of who we use to be. I think that I betrayed you because I was so jealous of you and that is why we all died. And I think that Tess or myself is going to do it again." Ava was openly sobbing now. "I'm so sorry, Liz. So sorry."

Liz detangled herself from Michael and walked over to Ava. She placed her fingers under Ava's chin and raised it so that she looked into her eyes. "Ava, I forgive you for whatever it was that you did in our past lives. And I forgive you for your jealousy. And I know that it's not your fault. Deep inside, I know that is wasn't you who was the reason that we all died, or that it was Isabel or Vilandra who was the reason. We don't know what happened, how we died or anything. So no blaming until we do know okay?" Ava nodded as Liz pulled her into a hug. "Okay, now we need to try and figure out what the brick wall that Ava and Alex saw means. Isabel, why don't you try and dreamwalk Max since it's evening in New York now while the rest of us try and figure out the brick wall?"

"Okay. Liz, I'm going to go up to your room, okay?" Isabel said.

"Sure, Iz. If you don't come down after about a half in hour, one of us will come up, okay?" Liz answered.

"Sounds like a plan," Isabel threw over her shoulder as she went up the stairs to Liz's bedroom.

Part 9 | Index | Part 11
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.