FanFic - Other
"Out of the Woods"
Part 16
by Kath7
Disclaimer: I do not own any of these characters. I am just borrowing them with thanks to Melinda Metz and Jason Katims and the WB. Lyrics to songs by Joe Cocker and Amanda Marshall.
Summary: This story is derived from a challenge from Actrez. The gang heads back to Fraser Woods (from Into the Woods) during their junior year. Tess and Michael join the Evans, while Maria goes with the Parkers. This story is post-Destiny. Liz had just returned from a lengthy stay in England. She returns to find a completely different Max and Michael.
Category: Other
Rating: PG-13
I was alone in the silence
Till I was hearing your voice
I couldn't see my way clear
Until you parted the clouds and you gave me a choice.

I couldn't pick up the pieces
Until I was falling apart
I didn't know I was bleeding
Till your love fixed this hole, baby, here in my heart.

I'd give up my sight just to see you
I'd beg, I would borrow and steal
I'd cut off my hands just to touch you
I would tear out my heart so you'd know how I feel.

There's nowhere I wouldn't follow
There's no place I'd rather be
'Cause life without you would be hollow
This love is a gift and you gave it to me.

All that I am you have made me
And baby I know that it's true
I'd give it all up in a heartbeat
Just to spend every moment with you...

I wouldn't want to be me...
If I didn't have you.

Amanda Marshall

Liz felt her heart beating a mile a minute as Max started to make the connection with her...only a couple more seconds...she thought.

She felt terrible. His voice had cracked when he had asked her to open her eyes. She knew what he must be suffering, thinking she was dying - but she had had no choice...

Liz waited until she felt images from Max's mind start to flood her own. He was concentrating so hard on what was going on in her head, he was not paying the least bit of attention to what HE was sending her.

She knew the exact moment that he realized that there was nothing wrong with her - she felt exactly what he felt at that moment...shock, relief, then panic....and rage.

The connection was made.

Liz felt him start to leave her - NO! She was just starting to get the flashes...she had to hold on to the connection...

She opened her eyes, stared right into his...they were starting to freeze over as she watched. Liz grabbed Max's head and pulled him down on top of her.

Her lips met his in a kiss so fierce, she could not breathe.

Liz could feel Max fighting himself...they were still connecting...he was trying desperately not to give in, but he wanted to...

She knew he did, because in that moment, she WAS him...

And then it happened...

The flashes started coming as Max gave in and started to kiss her back.

Flash*

Liz walking down the cliff at the pod chambers...She could feel Max's heart breaking as though it was her own....and then the despair...and the anger....

Flash*

Max lying on his bed, staring at the ceiling, wondering if he would ever feel like moving again. One thought: Liz is gone, Liz is gone, Liz is gone...

Flash*

Isabel bursting into his room with Maria and Alex..."Michael is gone..."

Flash*

Michael standing with River Dog, their hands outstretched to Max..."Join us...learn all you can..."

Flash*

Michael and Max in the desert, facing off, hatred in Max's heart...

Flash* Flash* Flash*

Max as a child, emerging from his pod, taking Isabel's hand...leaving Tess behind...losing Michael soon after...seeing the Evans' headlights...fear and hope...

Flash* Flash* Flash*

Max seeing Liz for the first time...thinking she was the most beautiful thing he had ever seen...

Panic...Max healing Liz after she was shot..."You spilled ketchup when you fell...don't tell anyone...please..."

Michael and River Dog glaring at Max, their arms crossed...then they turned their backs and started to walk away...

Flash*

Teen-age Michael in a pod, floating, his eyes closed...then snapping open to stare at Max...hatred gleaming in their depths..."You betrayed us...you betrayed our kind..."

The connection between Liz and Max was severed suddenly, abruptly...

Liz realized that they had rolled off the cot. She was now on top of Max on the floor. She opened her eyes, stared into his...He had his hands on her face, they were suddenly in her hair...

"You're alright..."he said dumbfounded. "How?"

"Tess." Liz only had to say the name for him to understand. His eyes darkened.

"She made me see that? But I FELT the blood Liz...I know you were bleeding..."

Liz smiled ruefully. "What can I say? She's been practicing. I didn't believe her either when she told me how realistic she could make it."

Max was staring at her. She had absolutely no idea what he was thinking.

"Max?"

"Liz." He replied tonelessly.

"Are you mad?" She asked in a small voice. She knew that he was again her Max - and that if she was in his position she would be very, VERY angry.

"Yes, actually I am a little mad."

"Oh...you do understand why I did it?" Max raised an eyebrow at her. She was pleased to note that his hands seemed unable to stop stroking her hair.

"My head understands, but my heart still needs a little time to process the fact that you are not about to die..." He told her, still with little indication of whether he was really angry or not.

"Oh." Liz smiled at him. "I AM sorry Max, but you really gave me no choice."

Max rolled his eyes, she could see that he was trying hard to keep his face straight but that his lips were beginning to twitch. "How pray tell were you planning to keep me here if I decided to leave?" He asked suddenly.

Liz felt her face redden. "Well Kyle is standing guard with Tess," she replied, avoiding his eyes. "You know, 170 pounds of Greco-Roman wrestler?" Max gently took her chin, forced her to meet his eyes.

"And if I used my powers on Kyle? You didn't know for sure that I was faking..."

Liz replied confidently to that. "Oh I knew...I KNOW you Max." His eyes narrowed slightly. She was becoming very aware of the fact that she was still stretched out on top of him and that she had not been as close to him since the night they had spent together in that abandoned van - the first and last time he had told her he loved her. She swallowed. He smelled exactly the same - like MAX...it was very distracting...

"Liz, do I have to take matters into my own hands?" Max asked teasingly. "I have my ways you know..." Liz smiled at him, lowering her lashes.

"Well, I was prepared to do anything Max. And I mean anything...I love you." She could see his eyes beginning to darken, but this time not with anger...

His lips met hers in a kiss so sweet, it brought tears to her eyes. She started to sob. "Liz, what's wrong?" Max whispered against her lips, cupping her head with his hand, bringing her cheek to rest against his chest.

"I just missed you so much Max..." She listened to his heartbeat, could feel her own beginning to beat in time.

"I don't understand Liz." Max said quietly. "Everyone else gave up on me. Why didn't you?"

Liz turned her head, stroked his hair..."It was you." She replied.

And there were no more words for a very long time...

Part 15 | Index | Part 17
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.