Fanfic - Other Roswell Stories
"Please, Don't Leave"
Part 2
by Becky
Disclaimer: I don't own them, etc.
Summary: This is about what happened after Michael, Isabel and Max got out of the pods, how they found each other again and became friends.
Category: Other Roswell Stories
Rating: PG-13
"Max, it's him!" Isabel whispered again. Her brother had no clue what she was talking about at first.

"Him who?" he asked. Then he looked at the new classmate and it dawned on him in a matter of a millisecond. "Do you think it could really be him, Isabel?" he queried. He sure looked like him. He was a bit taller than the last time they'd seen him, but his face structure was the same. And his eyes. Isabel was sure she would've recognized his eyes even if she met him after twenty years and not after three.

"It sure is him," she finished happily.

Neither of them heard the teacher that day. They had all been preoccupied with thousands of thoughts going through their minds. After some time Isabel turned to Max again and asked him, "Do you think he recognized us?"

"It's either that or he must have a really huge crush on you since he's been stealing glances this way for a half an hour now," he answered mockingly. Isabel blushed a little and was just about to say something back at Max when the teacher interrupted.

"Isabel, Max! What's wrong with you two today? I'm sure you haven't heard a word I said in the last ten minutes."

Actually it had been more than ten minutes. Both Isabel and Max knew that they had crossed the line and turned to look into their books with embarrassed looks on their faces. But that was not the end of discussion for the teacher.

"Isabel, why don't you move over here in the front with the new boy?" she continued. "I'm sure Michael would be glad to have some company."

Isabel's face turned from slightly red to dark red and she tried to get a grip on herself. She grabbed her books and moved to sit with Michael without a word spoken. Max observed this with a slight grin on his face. As Isabel was safely seated at her new seat she dared to look to her right where Michael had already been looking at her. When he saw her look he quickly turned away and at the same time tried not to show his emotions on the outside. It was really her! Them! Isabel and Max, as he had heard the teacher say. They were in a class together, moreover, she was sitting right next to him. She looked exactly like he remembered her, no, wait, she was even more beautiful, her hair was a bit longer and curlier.

What should he do now? He didn't know how to react. Should he greet them? What would they think of him? They didn't know him at all, but at the same time they knew more about him than anyone else. He felt vulnerable and he didn't like it. He got scared, didn't think he could handle it, so when the class was over, he left before everyone else had the chance to even get up from their seats. Isabel looked after him confused and disappointed. Then she turned towards Max who had been standing behind her.

"Max, why did he leave again? Do you think he wants nothing to do with us?"

"I'm sure that's not the case," answered Max a little puzzled. "You know how he reacted the first time. He probably needs to get used to the fact that we're here. That we met again. He needs time." Max was hoping he was not wrong about this.

"Oh, Max. I hope you're right. It took so long to finally find him. I don't want to lose him again," she said and Max looked at her knowing what she meant. He too felt more than relieved when he had seen Michael and that was when he decided that he was not going to let him run away from them this time.

Michael didn't attend his next class that day. Nor any other classes, to be exact. Max and Isabel were looking at each other worried and hoping that he wouldn't do anything stupid. They had no idea what stupid meant in Michael's head but most of all they were hoping he wouldn't leave before they at least tried to do something.

When they were walking part of the way home after school, they heard something, someone following them, but hiding, so they decided to leave the main street and turned on to a side road. After some time they stopped, sat on some rocks and waited patiently. When he was sure no one else was around, Michael came out of his hiding place and stood nearby, no particular expression on his face, just looking at them. Max was the first one to speak.

"Hi." And Michael answered, "Hi," and Isabel, who had been the most impatient and couldn't wait for everyone to say something else, said, "Michael, right?" He nodded and she continued, "I'm Isabel."

"I know," he answered, "and you're Max." Another silence.

Then Isabel popped a question again. "Do you remember us?"

"You mean from..." Michael didn't finish his sentence as it was obvious what he was implying.

"Yes, of course from before," said Max. "We're pretty sure that you remember us from the first period of school today," he added before thinking. He didn't want it to come out that way but it was too late. Michael already felt offended

"You know what, I'm just gonna go. I won't tolerate you making jokes at my expense."

He turned away and Isabel quickly said, "Michael, wait! He didn't mean it."

Max added, "Yes, please wait. I'm sorry." Michael stopped on his way and came closer again.

He asked, "So, was it worth it?"

They looked at him puzzled. "What?"

"You know, getting in the car with them." Now they knew what he was saying.

"Actually, we've been living with them for over three years now. They're our parents."

"They're not your parents," Michael said.

Isabel explained, "Yeah, not the real ones. But they're OK."

"Do they know?" Michael continued.

"Know what?" asked Max carefully.

"This," answered Michael as he touched one of the nearest rocks with his hand and the rock changed colour from grey to black.

"Oh," was all Isabel managed to say realizing something she already knew, he had just confirmed it. He was the same as them.

Max answered Michael's question, "No, they don't know. They wouldn't understand. No one knows but us."

"What about you?" Isabel queried "Where have you been all this time?" Michael gave her a look and knew instantly that he was not ready to tell them what kind of hell he had been going through while the two of them were enjoying their little happy family.

He decided to avoid the answer and said, "Let's agree something here and now. We won't talk about this in front of anyone, we won't use our powers or whatever they are in public and it's probably best if we didn't discuss this at all," he finished. Isabel and Max looked at him surprised and before they could say anything, he left.

They really didn't know what to think of his little speech. Why had he been acting that way? They were all in this together and he had treated them like enemies.

Next day after school Isabel and Max spotted Michael walking home alone. They started running after him to catch up and as they approached him, they greeted him.

He greeted back and Max asked, "So, how are things? Have you gotten used to this town yet?"

Michael answered moodily, "No, and I don't think that I ever will."

"What do you mean?" asked Isabel and she didn't like the answer as soon as it left Michael's mouth.

"I found out that I better not get attached to any place 'cause for all I can remember I've never lived at one place for more than a couple of months. I don't see why Roswell, New Mexico, would be an exception."

"You mean you might be leaving soon?" Isabel said quietly.

"Very possibly" was the answer. "And so that you know. You don't have to hang out with me just because we're...you know...the freaks," he ended.

Isabel quickly exclaimed, "Michael, we're not hanging out with you 'cause we're.the same. We want to be with you 'cause you're YOU."

Max who had been listening to this exchange interrupted with "We're no freaks! And neither are you, Michael."

"Oh, really? Then tell me, Maxwell, who am I? Who the hell are we?" Max nor Isabel knew the answer to that question so they remained silent. "I thought you might not say anything," Michael said and turned away from them.

"This is getting hopeless," said Isabel after Michael had left. "He's not letting us anywhere near close. Why do you think is that, Max?"

"I'm not sure," answered Max and looked at the point where Michael had disappeared from their sight a few seconds ago. *****

Michael practically ran home, or to the place he was supposed to claim his home. He gladly found out that Hank was not around. He went to his room and threw himself on the bed with frustration. What had he been doing? He didn't want this! Just the opposite. He'd dreamt about their reunion every day since they had separated and now that he miraculously found the two people he wanted to find, he was pushing them away. He didn't know what had been the reason for his actions. He only knew that if he didn't stop his attitude right at that moment, he would lose them forever.

They would stop fighting for his attention. They looked OK. He might as well try. What did he have to lose? Well, just about everything. What if he trusted them and later they wouldn't meet his expectations? Or more likely he wouldn't meet their expectations. What if they decided he was a loser? What if they didn't want him to be around any more? What if? WHAT IF?

He was devastated. What should he do? He felt a huge burden and he wanted to get rid of it. But how could he? He never had such a chance before. And he might never again get one. He didn't even know how to start. He was in a long, dark tunnel and just before the end he saw a weak light. He looked at it with hope and started walking. If he walked long enough, he would reach it for sure. He had to reach it! It was his second chance. The chance he never expected to get. He decided to grab it and hold on to it. He was just hoping that it was not too late yet.

Part 1 | Index | Part 3
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.