FanFic - Other
"ROSWELL E-MAIL SERIES"
"Balance Past Due"
Part 19
by John
Disclaimer: Roswell characters belong to Warner Brothers. No infringement intended.
Summary: Alex told me he has been really concerned about the computer hacking going on lately and has suggested that even his encryption scheme may not be secure. He suggested that we better quit E-mailing for now. He did, however, give his OK for this one last E-Mail transmission.
Category: Other
Rating: PG
(The week went by rather slowly. Michael did drive out to see Riverdog and he's agreed they can use the cave. The gang has really been rather subdued...Alex has even abstained from his awful jokes... apparently they're all giving a lot of thought as to just where their balance points should be set. Finally it's Saturday...and everyone is very nervous. Max has deliberately let his molecular power fade so he can see if the re-balance solves the problem. Alex' sensing ability is a little on the hyper side. Liz just wants to get back to where she can be the person who never panics...a person who can convince Max Evans that she can be a part of his life, whatever it might become. As usual, there's no way to know what Michael and Isabel are thinking. They all squeeze into Max' jeep and head out...Michael is guarding the stones.)

Michael: Just about there...we'll need to park near the sweat lodge (he shudders at the thought of it) and walk to the cave. Riverdog said he'd make sure we weren't disturbed.

Liz: I feel like I'm about to jump somewhere...I don't know if it's into a soft pool of water or a hard canyon bottom.

Max: I'm a little uneasy too...but I'm more convinced than ever we're doing the right thing.

(Alex and Max have a silent connection conversation)

Alex: (in a silent connection) I feel that too, Max.

Max: (startled...responds silently) Hello...and Good! Are you afraid you might not be able to do this in a little while?

Alex: I've been really struggling with that, Max. You know...I think maybe I can set it so it just works with you...and maybe Isabel and Michael. I don't know if I should...if it would be too unnatural.

Max: You really helped me at the labs. I was glad you were there...but it's has to be your decision. You did say you've always had a little ability this way.

Alex: Yes, but not like this...it was more an ability to help someone finish a thought or something.

Max: I won't tell you what to do. It's got to be your call.

(End of connection communication)

Isabel: You shouldn't encourage him.

Max: He'll do what's right for him. I trust his judgement.

Liz: What are you talking about?

Max: Nothing...we really shouldn't be talking about balance issues.

Michael: In case you hadn't noticed...that's what's on everyone's minds.

Maria: Michael, I'm scared. I may come out of this not even knowing you.

Michael: Nothing that drastic will happen...we're really just going to put things right again.

Max: I know what you're saying Michael...but still...

Michael: Park here...we walk!

(Hardly a word is spoken on the hike to the cave. The group arrives and they slowly walk in. They experience some memories and Michael, Max, Isabel, and Alex experience some flashes of events from the caves' past. They smile...they shudder...finally Max speaks.)

Max: Each person is going to have to have to receive the power sent by the rest of us. Individually, we'll have to lie down and concentrate on our balance point while the others impart their power and the power of the stones. Michael...the stones in place?

Michael: They're right here. Remember though, I missed this part before.

Max: We form a semicircle...we must share a drink...then concentrate...it's our combined power that makes it work.

Liz: For some reason, I'm not scared anymore. I feel like this is going to be OK.

Max: Would you like to go first?

Liz: I think Max and Alex should go first. They're really the reason we're doing this.

Isabel: That feels right to me.

Michael: I agree.

Maria: Me too. The most serious problems first.

Max: Alex, this was your idea...you do the honors?

Alex: (appears tense) Uh...I....I...

Isabel: It'll be OK Alex...we're all your friends...we'll be right here.

Alex: Uh...Uh...OK...let's do it.

(Alex lies down on the stone bench and the others gather near. They share the drink, their hands are joined and the concentration slowly begins. As before...the stones begin to glow. Alex doesn't move a muscle. Finally everyone feels like the power transfer is complete and the circle is broken...only to be united again for the next person. One by one, the friends lie down and concentrate on wherever they've decided their balance point should be. One by one the combined power is shared. Finally, after more than an hour all have been given the chance to reset their balance. Physically drained, the friends sit on the floor, propped against the cave wall. No words have been spoken for some time. Maria is the first to move. She snuggles close to Michael, running her hand through his hair. She has no more desire for his gratitude...she's just happy she can be here with him today. She can't help but wonder though, where has Michael set his balance? Is it a point that could include her? She wants to know...but she's scared he may have plastered the wall again...just when it was showing a few cracks. Finally Michael returns the favor and runs his hand through her hair. They stare silently at each other. Maria puts her arms around him and they embrace. The kiss is interrupted as Michael realizes what's happening. At first, he tries to pull away)

Michael: (thinks instinctively) Mu....Mu...Mu...

(Slowly, he moves his head back towards her lips...the tenseness he was feeling leaves his body...his arms wrap tighter around Maria...a smile comes to his face..."why fight this...it's what you want you idiot")

Michael: (aloud) Mu...Mu... Mu--ree--aah, Maria, Maria, Maria

(They fall to the floor in a passionate embrace)

Maria: Michael...I can't believe it...you left a crack...I love you, Michael, you crazy man.

Michael: I love you to Maria.

(Embrace resumes...soon becoming R rated...but no one cares. Nearby, Max stares at Liz. Her heart is thumping...what has he done...what has she done? Suddenly Max stands up. He moves a small stone across the ground without touching it.)

Max: Just testing! Liz Parker, stand up.

Liz: As you wish, Max Evans.

(Liz can't help but think...this is where I'll know...will I always be Liz Parker...or might it be...is there a chance...someday, somehow, someway...is there even the slightest possibility that... in a few years... someone might call me Liz Evans? Liz Evans...it's sounded so good...so right...but...)

Max: I'll show you where my balance is, Liz. Stand here...two paces back from me.

(Her heart sank as he positions himself directly in front of her.)

Max: (Max smiles) Now, when I count three, take a step towards me.

(Max counts, "One, two, three"...Liz takes a step towards Max... and he takes such a giant step towards her ... there's no way they couldn't be in contact. As they put their arms around each other, this time...for the first time since their first embrace... Max initiates a kiss...not the other way around. Soon they are locked in a loving embrace that neither wants to end. They are feeling warmer and warmer in each others arms. They too haven't a care about what their friends see them do. For the first time, everything seems more than just OK. It seems right...very right!

Liz: Max...(Liz looks at him with that "stare') You just made me feel whole again.

Max: The whole is the sum of it's parts.

(They embrace again...the reserve they've been exhibiting recently towards each other totally is gone...only love and trust remain)

Alex and Isabel are still sitting on the cave floor. Alex can't even look at Isabel. He's sure that since she really didn't need to change much that she hasn't, even though she went through the motions of re-balancing. He loves her, but he knows he'll never be what she wants. He's sure her shell is as hard as ever. He just sits there, looking at Liz, Max, Michael, and Maria...all totally happy...maybe for the first time in their lives. He feels the honest happiness...the love in the room...and a tear comes to his eye. A tear is in the eye of Alex Whitman and he can't think of anything funny to dry it up. He is just happy for his friends, especially Liz and Maria. Just then, Isabel takes his hand. He doesn't know what to expect.)

Isabel: Are we just going to let them have all the fun?

(She embraces Alex and even outdoes the kiss she gave him when she first tried to help him tame the overactive sensing. Isabel thinks to herself...but apparently too strongly)

Isabel: (silently thinking) "This guy's the most loveable science guy I know."

Alex: (Without thinking...says aloud) Probably the only one you know.

Isabel: (breaks embrace) I should have known...I can see I'm going to have to be careful...

Alex: Max kinda convinced me it would be OK...it seems to be...no headache...but I promise I'll never...only if you want me...

Isabel: It's OK Alex...I don't care! I have nothing to keep from you anymore anyway.

(They embrace again. Max, seeing them out of the corner of his eye, thinks..."well they got started a little later...but they'll be fine". Finally...one by one...the friends break apart and begin to make plans...not just to go home...but to really go home...to relationships that seem to have been predestined. How else could this crazy combination of people...of personalities...of species... even hope to work?

Suddenly...instintively...almost as if someone suggested it aloud...they all look at each other...they excitedly join hands in a circle like a basketball team preparing for victory...and the cave resounds with a loud, positive, reverberating...and vibrant...."YES!")

Email Author | Back to FanFic Page
index
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.