FanFic - Other
"Resolution Series"
"Looking Back"
Part 5
by Cheri
Disclaimer: I am in no way affiliated with Roswell or the WB.
Summary: Part One of a five part series. The after effects of New Years Eve.
Category: Other
Rating: R
Date: January 1st, 2010 Place: Crashdown Café- Roswell, New Mexico Time: 8:30 a.m.

Four Couples sit in the back of the café talking. It is an annual ritual that they have managed to keep, even with their busy, hectic lives. The eight friends have experienced a lot together, having been near inseparable since their Sophomore year at West Roswell High School. This group of friends, under normal circumstances would not have became friends. It surprised most of their classmates that they had become friends since they didn’t have a lot in common, in the beginning. But, what they did share was the powerful force that kept their close friendships together.

It was a gunshot fired on September 18th, 1999 that initially brought them together. That was the day that Max Evans saved the life of Liz Parker, his crush since 3rd grade, and exposed himself as well as his sister, Isabel Evans and their friend, Michael Guerin as aliens. She promised to keep their secret, but due to circumstances she had to tell her best friends, Maria Deluca (who had her bloody order book) and Alex Whitman (who was arrested with her and threatened to tell the Sheriff that he had supplied the blood for Max when he had an accident) the truth.

Their lives were finally getting to where they wanted them when Tess Harding, another alien came to town to reclaim her destiny (which she thought was Max Evans). Max was captured by an FBI “Alien Hunter” because of Tess’ Protector, Nasedo. Liz went to the Sheriff to get help in freeing Max. After escaping from the FBI, they made the decision to take back their lives. A fight broke out and Kyle Valenti, the Sheriff’s son was shot and Max saved his life. The Sheriff promised that he would do everything to help them.

So to clarify, in the beginning there were three aliens and three humans. Over time they became six friends. Then they became six friends, two outsiders and the Sheriff. Finally, they became eight friends, with a father-figure in the Sheriff.

Every year since 2001 they have had breakfast at the café that The Parkers, Liz's parents, once owned, that she now owns due to their untimely deaths three years ago.

“Can you believe that it’s been ten years? Where has the time gone?” Maria Deluca-Guerin asked.

“Time would go fast around those six ankle-biters of yours!” Her step-brother Kyle said, while the others laugh.

“I remember the first year. Max and I had spent such a wonderful night together.” Liz said sighing.

“Yeah, you couldn’t get the smiles off of your faces for weeks.” Maria commented.

“What about you Miss Self-Composed? You were positively glowing. It’s a wonder you didn’t illuminate rooms.” Tess added.

“Yeah, how did that happen, anyways?” Kyle asked adding, “I know “how” it happened, but you guys were having a real bitch-fest when you so “kindly” kicked all of us out.”

“Hey, what can I say? Anger is a really good aphrodisiac.” Michael said.

“Would explain all the kids.” Max mumbled.

“Funny, Maxwell.” Michael said.

“Izzy, why are you so quiet, sweetie?” Alex asked his wife, gently squeezing her hand.

“It’s just my hormones.” She said patting her very rounded stomach. “You know that was the worst night of my life. But, it was also the best.”

“Me, too.” Alex said.

“I wish you would have let us do something to him.” Michael said.

“It wasn’t Grant’s fault that Kivar was controlling him, Michael.”

“True. How did you get him to leave so quick?” Liz asked.

“Tess helped me do a mind-warp on him.” Isabel chuckled. “She made him see ‘little green men’ everywhere he went and I took over in his dreams.”

“I guess that night was an important night for all of us.” Tess said thinking back to the night that she truly became a permanent fixture in the Valenti family.

“Yeah, it was. It was a night of truth.” Max added looking at Liz, remembering how she told him that she hadn’t slept with Kyle.

“A night for realizations.” Isabel said looking at Alex and remembering her resolution to love him more.

“A night for love.” Michael said still being able to feel how Maria felt in his arms the next morning when they both woke up.

“I surprised that we even made it to breakfast with the night we all experienced.” Liz said looking at Max and thinking about how when they woke that morning they had given into temptation and made love for the first time, then she smiled.

“I know what you mean.” Kyle said looking at Tess and thinking the same thing.

“Yeah, I didn’t even want to move.” Maria said.

“Well, at least you guys got some sleep. Me and Isabel just stayed awake talking.” Alex replied knowing that he would never give up that precious conversation that they had had. The conversation that confirmed the love that they shared for each other.

“The things you do for friendship.” Isabel said smiling.

“Exactly.” Liz said while the others agreed.

“So, fess up. What’s this year’s resolutions?” Alex said smiling.

“Mine is to finally clearing out my parent’s apartment.” Liz said with a sad expression on her face. Max held her hand. “Max, your turn.”

“Mine is to try not to put so much stress on myself. I am not the leader anymore. I have to remember to ask you guys for help.” Max said, referring to the knowledge that Kivar had died in some freak hostile ambush by one of his own men and that there was finally peace on Antar. “Michael, you’re up.”

“Well, mine is to try and open up to you guys a little more this year.” Michael said smiling, “You know, try not to be such a prick. Maria.”

“I decided that mine is to start writing again. Maybe I can write a fictional best seller about aliens living in a little New Mexico town. You know I already have researched the subject.” She said kissing Michael on the cheek. “Tess, you’re up, babe.”

“Well, this is the year I resolve to go up to the Pod Chamber and destroy that damn book that revealed our “destinies”. Well, just the page that paired us up, because it was totally wrong.” Tess said looking at Kyle. “Honey.”

“Gee, that was my resolution.” Kyle said with a laugh. “This is the year that the mind and the body become one.”

“What the hell did you just say, Kyle?” Michael asked.

“What I meant was that this is the year that I resolve to become a father. I mean if Michael can do it, anyone can.” Kyle said with a laugh. “Alex, I guess you’re next.”

“Well, I guess my only resolution would be to forgive Isabel now of anything she does to me when she goes into labor.” Alex said smiling towards his wife and rubbing her stomach gently. “Isabel. You’re the last one.”

“I’ve thought long and hard on this. I think that I resolve to be the best wife, mother and friend to you all. Because you are the most important people in my life. I don’t know where I would be without any of you.” She said nearly crying.

“Hormones.” Maria said. “I remember crying all the time too.”

“So, did you get them all down, Max?” Tess asked.

Along with meeting for breakfast on New Year’s Day, they had been writing all of their resolutions down on paper. They each put twenty dollars in an envelope and the person who came closest to fulfilling their resolution received the money. Isabel had won the last nine years without an argument.

“Well, Michael. You can just kiss the money good-bye. You won’t last throughout the week.” Maria teased.

“You never know. This might be the year, Maria.”

“Yeah, Isabel can’t win forever.” Max said.

“I think Alex has a good shot.” Tess said.

“Hey, what about us? We could win, too.” Kyle said.

“Kyle, even if we don’t win the money, we will if we have a baby.” Tess said kissing him.

“I think that there might be a tie next year.” Isabel said looking at Alex. “I wouldn’t mind sharing… with Alex.”

They finished their breakfast and went back to their homes separately. But, not before each had promised to return to that very café the following year to repeat their rewind of the following year.

The End

Part 4 | Index
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.