FanFic - Other
"Sexual Temptations"
Part 15
by Jez
Disclaimer: I don't own a thing (but if I did, I wouldn't share Michael =0P)
Summary: In the mid 1800's, Father Maxwell Evans arrives in America...
Category: Other
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: Based Nehal's Sexual Temptations Challenge
"Kyle, please inform the coroner that we will be requiring two adult coffins in the near future." Kyle looks up at his father, his fork and knife hovering over his breakfast.

"Who for?"

"Father Evans and Sister Mary Elizabeth." I choke on my juice, my coughing interrupting Kyle's response.

"They were not found to be guilty yet. Do you not think it will be wise to have the sister examined by a doctor before you pass the charge?" Judge Valenti glares at me, leaning menacingly over the table. I unconsciously sink lower in my chair and grip the handles.

"Do not speak to me unless you are told to, Maria. I do not request or desire your opinion on this or any matter." I shudder under his glower as Kyle grabs his arm.

"Father, be civil. This is the woman that you chose for me. The least you can do is show her some patience." He sits back in his seat. "But she has a point. We are jumping to conclusions in this matter. I believe that they are innocent."

"This is not a matter for you to judge, Kyle. This is my decision." Kyle leans forward across the table, staring his father directly in the eye.

"Father, the only evidence that you have at this moment is that Father Evans and Sister Mary Elizabeth were found laying fully clothed together in his cell. This is not enough confirmation to hang them on charges of unlawful carnal knowledge." I nod my head.

"That's right. I -- " The judge slams his hands down on the table, causing glasses to spill and the silverware clatter.

"I will not tell you again -- "

"Enough!" Kyle throws his napkin onto his plate. "Father, you will not speak to her like that! Maria isn't even my wife!"

"It does not matter. We will get you a priest!"

"NO! I will not marry her again! It is over!" Kyle rises from his seat and marches out of the dining room.

I watch as my "father-in-law" throws a vase of marigolds at a serving boy, causing him to spill hot coffee over his trousers. Thank God Michael, Kyle, Isabel, and Alexander were able to get some of the slaves away from men like him. Even though my beloved is now racing towards Canada with bounty hunters at his feet. . .

"Sir, please, calm down. . . " The judge whips around to face me, his eyes flashing with anger.

"Be quiet!" I only get a glimpse of his hand as it flashes across my face. I fall to the floor, holding my injured cheek in my palm. "I will not be told what to do by a silly girl like yourself!" Walking towards the door, he glares at me over his shoulder.

"And you are to address me as "Father!""

I sit on the floor as Judge Valenti stalks off, the shock from the slap slowly wearing off. It takes my mind a moment to register the hot flood of tears falling from my eyes as I rise to my feet. So, this is my life. This is what Michael has left me too.

I cannot blame my sweet Michael for leaving me. He could not let these people suffer. He would face death to bring assistance to the needy, his concern for others overriding his self-preservation. I just wish that he would have asked me to face death by his side. And I would have done it. I would gladly die for my husband.

"Madame?" I turn around, fazed at the sudden appearance of the young boy. He hands me a towel filled with ice. I stare at the royal blue terry-cloth blankly for a moment, the coolness seeping into my hands. So, this is my life.

***

"You must do something, Mr. Deluca. My father is not right in the head. He plans on hanging the priest after this morning's trial. There has been no physical evidence that Father Evans and Sister Mary Elizabeth have consummated any attractions they might harbor for each other."

Mr. Deluca runs his hand along the edge of his tea cup. "Kyle, I understand that you may feel merciful towards these people, but your father knows the law. It is in his place to pass judgment on perpetrators."

"But what he is doing is wrong. Find a doctor to examine the nun. You will see that they are telling the truth." I put my hat on my head and prepare to leave.

"You should know that your daughter has not smiled since our marriage, Mr. Deluca. It would be wise to reconsider my father's reasons for choosing her as my bride before forcing her to marry me once again."

***

I sit with Rhiannon and Thomas in the pew, little Andrew crawling around our feet. Rhiannon holds my hand tightly, afraid that I -- like her family, Michael, and Isabel -- will disappear from her life. Thomas watches over the three of us like a hawk, as if to ward off any misfortune. I look around the church, searching for a glimpse of my elusive blond friend. Isabel left to "confession" with Alexander the night before, but never returned. Rumor has it that Alexander was exposed as an impostor and an abolitionist. If she ran away with him, it is only a matter of time before they find out the truth about Isabel too. On her arrival to Ravensport, Isabel became an active abolitionist herself with the men. I can only hope that they were able to escape safely. And that Kyle and Michael will not be revealed.

I watch as the witnesses take the stand, all providing evidence against Father Evans and Sister Mary Elizabeth. I think bitterly of Finola. It hurts to think that she wasn't important enough to Judge Valenti to receive a real trial. Finola was only a child that very few had known; Father Evans and Sister Mary Elizabeth are respected members of the community. There is no comparison as to who is more important in the eyes of the law.

Maria sits in a pew directly in front of the judge's view, her arm being clutched roughly by a farm hand ordered to watch her. She holds her head low -- almost a gesture of submission -- as she sits under her captor's scrutiny. I almost do not want to know what events has made my friend loose her vivacity. I would not trade places with her for the world. She is living a lie at the Valenti estate while her love races for his life with an undetermined amount of runaway slaves. The stress she feels must be enormous. At least my Kyle is still safe in Ravensport.

The two perpetrators are placed at the front of the church, their faces haggard with worry. Judge Valenti tries poorly to hide a sneer of superiority as they sit at the defense table, muttering every now and then to their incompetent lawyer. Shuddering, I pull Andrew up from the floor as Rhiannon huddles closer against my body.

I sit in a daze as the lawyers make their final speeches, a feeling of dread coursing through my veins. Although I know very little of the workings of the legal system, I do know that all of the evidence presented today has been fairly trivial. There has been no accounts taken of any physical act between the priest and the nun -- only that they were found in each other's arms. Still, the expression on my father-in law's face is hard and unyielding.

I tremble for my friends. True, I have had little contact with them, but my most precious memory includes them. My marriage to Kyle. Even with my lack of contact with them, Maxwell and Elizabeth are dear to my heart. They do not deserve this. Judge Valenti rises from behind the podium.

"Father Maxwell Evans, Sister Mary Elizabeth Parker, it saddens me to pass judgment on members of the clergy, but the law requires that I make such decisions. I sentence you both to dea. . . "

"ENOUGH!" The entire congregation of onlookers turns to face Lawrence Deluca, his face darkened with fury. "James, I do not know what it is that you are trying to accomplish her today, but this is unacceptable." Mr. Deluca walks down the center aisle between the pews, with Kyle close at his heels. My love winks at me out of the corner of his eye. I feel the weight of a thousand years worth of worry lift from my shoulders by his elation.

"Lawrence, I do not require your permission to pass sentence on these people." Mr. Deluca holds up his hand, silencing a fearful Judge Valenti in a gesture.

"I have beared witness to the entire trial, James. The evidence presented here today is mediocre at best. After viewing this. . . nonsense. . . I have no choice but to report you to the governor. I am certain that Martin will be very interested to learn of your performance of late. For now, release these people, and let them get along with their lives." Judge Valenti stands to speak, but is silenced once again by the angry glare of Mr. Deluca. Father Evans approachs Mr. Deluca.

"Sir, I would like to thank you for -- " Mr. Deluca shook his head and smiled.

"There is no need for thanks, Father. I am as obligated under God as any other man to do the right thing."

Kyle approaches me as the townspeople begin to file out of the church. "It is over, Tess. It is time to stop hiding." Taking my hand, he pulls me into a tight embrace. "I will not pretend to love any other but you. You are my wife, and the world will soon know it." I pull away just enough to look my husband in the face.

"But what of your father?" Kyle's smile dims slightly.

"My father is ruined. He will lose his title as a gentleman. His land will pass to me, and he will face judgment for his actions. My father will never be a threat to any other for the rest of this life." I look to find the disgraced judge, but my gaze falls on Maria and her parents.

I smile as I watch Lawrence Deluca embrace his daughter, one hand smoothing gently over a deep purple bruise on her cheekbone as if to heal it. Amy Deluca wraps her arms tightly around the two of them, holding her small family together. Tears fall from her emerald eyes as Maria buries her face in her father's shoulder. My smile widens. Yes, soon it will be over.

The doors open to the now virtually empty church -- the only remaining souls are Kyle, Maria, her parents, the children, and myself. Michael comes tumbling through the doors.

"Maria!"

Part 14 | Index | Part 16
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.