FanFic - Other
"Species"
Part 6
by Karen
Disclaimer: Mr. Katims is a generous man, I hear. He won't mind if I borrow these guys for about 25 pages or so (laughs nervously).
Summary: What's up with Isabel? She breaks Max's nose and makes a none-too-subtle pass at Michael. Elsewhere, Liz learns the answer to the eternal "Boxers or briefs?" question.
Category: Other
Rating: R
Authors Note: Feedback always appreciated.
"The doctors think it was just a virus of some kind," Diane Evans was explaining. "They think it affected Isabel neurologically, but it seems to have cleared itself up."

Max smiled down at his sister, who was sitting up in her hospital bed. She looked healthy - her skin was pink, her eyes clear. She had a smile on her face. On the other side of the room, Michael was perched on the window ledge again. His arms were crossed over his chest. It was typical of Michael to maintain his distance in family situations. Not that the Evanses wouldn't have welcomed him with open arms. Michael had just never been able to trust it. They all knew the doctors' theories were wrong, that only they knew the real truth.

"When can I go home?" Isabel asked, her expression hopeful.

"I just need to sign a few papers and you can be on your way," Diane said. She put a duffel bag on the bed. "I brought you some clean clothes. I had to pitch the ones you came here in."

Isabel took her mother's hand. "Mom, I'm sorry. For the way I acted."

Diane kissed her daughter on the cheek. "There's nothing to be sorry for, Is. You were sick. I know you didn't mean any of it." She patted Isabel's hand and left the room to sign the papers.

Isabel took in Max, then Michael. "I'm sorry to both of you, too."

Max touched her arm. "It's okay. I understand."

"Yeah, me, too," Michael piped in. "I didn't mind - I mean I understand."

Isabel's cheeks flushed. She wasn't sure how long it would take her to be able to look into Michael's eyes again. She'd finally pried the details out of him, and now she wished she hadn't.

"I do have one request," Isabel said, looking at Max.

He raised his eyebrows in question.

"Stop putting me to sleep," she said sternly.

He laughed nervously, looked at his shoes. "I didn't know how to control you…"

"I know, but stop that. When did you learn to do that?"

He shrugged, avoiding her gaze.

Isabel's expression softened and she reached for his hand. "Thank you, Max. For everything you did."

He glanced at her and smiled shyly. "You'd do the same for me," he responded.

There was a light knock on the door and the trio turned to see Liz holding a bouquet of flowers. Max's face broke into a wide, goofy grin as he met her, kissed her cheek. Liz looked equally as distracted, but quickly recovered and handed the flowers to Isabel.

"Glad to hear you're feeling better," Liz said.

"Thank you," Isabel replied, bringing the flowers to her nose. Over the buds, she glanced at her brother, then at Liz, and noted their goofy looks. "What's up?"

"Huh?" Max's head whipped in Isabel's direction. "Oh, uh, nothing…nothing really."

"Nothing?" She arched her eyebrows, then directed her gaze at Liz.

Liz stuttered out something incomprehensible. She could hear Michael laugh from his seat at the window.

Finally Max let out a sigh and put his arm around Liz. "Liz and I are together now," he announced, producing a smile from Isabel. "She's the reason I won't have to go through what you did."

Isabel cocked her head. "You left that part out of the story, Max," she teased.

Max reddened to the gills. "Well, yeah, I did…"

Isabel glanced toward Michael. "Michael?"

Michael only grinned, something he rarely did.

"Well," Isabel said with a sigh, "I guess Mom was wrong about not sleeping around."

They all laughed, then Max motioned toward the door. "Let's give Is some privacy so she can get dressed." He leaned over and kissed her cheek. "Glad you're okay, sis."

In the hallway, Max slugged Michael's arm. Shooting a glance at Max, Michael rubbed the sore spot.

"What was that for?" Michael demanded.

"Think of all of the pain and suffering you could have prevented if you'd have just given in to her," Max teased.

Michael scratched his head. "I tell ya, I was too frightened to give in to her. But, I was right, wasn't I? It was a Species kind of thing, wasn't it?"

Max nodded. "Yeah, you were right." He reached over and wrapped an arm around Liz's waist, pulling her close. "Thank you," he whispered so Michael couldn't hear. "For making me human."

The End

Part 5 | Index
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.