FanFic - Other
"Tess"
"Attitude"
Part 3
by N/A
Disclaimer: The characters of Roswell belong to the WB, among others, but apparently I need to keep borrowing them. I know nothing about computer hacking!
Summary: Okay, so this is the story of Tess – at least in my little alternate Roswell universe I’ve created (starting with “Dealing”). Since I don’t know anything about her (i.e. what she looks like, her mannerisms, and her personality) at the time of writing this I’ve limited her appearance in this fanfic. It pretty much focuses on everybody else’s reaction to her. Whatever they do with Tess on the show, this is what I’d do with her…
Category: Other
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: Apparently I write fanfiction in trilogies. The first set was “Dealing” – which you should really read before reading this. These next three, as mentioned above, deal with Tess. The basic premise here is that the 3 humans and the 3 aliens are avoiding each other out of safety – they know that Nasedo is evil and they’re not sure if he’ll hurt A, M, and L because they know. So, in the space between “Dealing” and “Tess” generic things that have happened on the show from the UFO Convention to Independence Day can still happen. For example – Michael does the wrestling thing but there is no kissing! The blind date happens Max can be jealous get drunk whatever…but Liz would be definitely resistant of any lovey stuff between her and Max. Michael can escape from Hank’s but he doesn’t go to Maria’s. And sorry – no “Sexual Healing”…the fact that the writers of the show would have Max and Liz make-out like bandits and then introduce I love interest for Max just seems WRONG to me – so I’ve changed the order of things. Does that make sense? Oh…and Michael figured out who Hubble was by recognizing his name from the newspaper articles that Max researched regarding Nasedo – confused…read “Dealing”…anyway…here you go:
(Scene: Crashdown, early afternoon. Liz and Maria are working and Alex is just visiting sitting at the counter.) Music: Citizen King – Better Days (And Then The Bottom Drops Out)

Liz: How do you know?

Maria: You’d be surprised what people talk about in the bathroom when they think they’re alone.

Alex: I don’t want know.

Liz: So they’re gone for the weekend?

Maria: Yea, I can’t remember if it’s an anniversary or birthday…but they went up to Taos.

Alex: What about Max and Isabel? Will they be home tonight?

Maria: Don’t know.

Liz: We’ll just wait for them if they’re gone. But how are we gonna get Michael there?

Maria (with a knowing smile): Don’t worry…he’ll be there.

Alex: So you’ll pick me up 6:45, right?

Maria: Yea. Liz you sure you don’t want a ride?

Liz: No, I’m actually looking forward to the walk. (Alex and Maria share a glance.)

Alex (getting out of his seat): Alright, ‘til tonight, ladies. (Alex leaves the café)

Maria: What’s up Liz? (Liz looks at her questioningly) I expected you to be – I don’t know, a little encouraged.

Liz: What?

Maria: Don’t get me wrong the guy’s still an ass but at least you know…I mean, now we know why Max was so caught up with “Tess”, why he’d want to spend so much time with her.

Liz: Yea, but he didn’t have to do it in front of me.

Maria (not wanting to push it): So how’d you manage to get us off tonight?

Liz: I sold my soul to Betty and Jen. (They just look at each other and smile.)

(Scene: Outside Maria’s House, around 7 p.m. Michael is standing in the shadows. He sees Maria come out and get into her car. Maria drives off and Michael starts walking on the sidewalk in the direction she went. He doesn’t notice the Jetta, slowly pull up behind him. Maria rolls down the window and drives along side him) Music (on the radio): William Topley – Walk Like I Do

Maria: You want a ride?

Michael (turning around totally startled that she caught him): What…um…

Maria: Listen, I’m already late. I have to pick up Alex and be at Max’s by 7…do you want a ride or are you walking to the Evans’? (Michael still confused that she caught him just stands there. She reaches over and opens the door from the inside) Do I look like I have all day?

Michael (gets in and sheepishly): Thanks.

Maria: All I have to say is that instead of sittin’ under my window for the past week you should have been sittin’ at Max’s.

Michael (still confused and embarrassed): What?

Maria: Nevermind…

(Scene: Isabel’s Bedroom. Max and Isabel are sitting on her bed)

Isabel: I felt it Max. It was like a blurry image – I couldn’t make anything out – but I think she felt it too.

Max: I told you Isabel…(the doorbell rings and he looks at Isabel) You have a date tonight?

Isabel: No. You?

Max: No, Tess and I are studying together tomorrow afternoon. (The doorbell rings again and he gets up) Maybe Michael’s forgotten how to use the front door. (Max goes to the door and opens it)

Max (surprised): Liz.

Liz (coldly): Max.

Max: Um. What are you doing here?

Liz: Yea, we’ll get to that Max…can I come in?

Max: Um…sure. (Liz walks past him and goes into the living room. Max follows her and they just sort of stand there on either side of the room. There are a few moments of silence – Liz not looking at him. Finally Isabel comes into the hallway)

Isabel: Max, who is it? (She comes into the living room and sees Liz) Liz? What are you…(She’s interrupted by the front door opening and Alex walking in followed by Maria and Michael exchanging pleasantries)

Maria: Definitely need to work on your stalking skills pal. Just because you’re wearing black and it’s dark outside doesn’t mean you’re invisible.

Michael: Yea, well (he stops as they enter the living room and sees everyone) What’s this a pow wow? (There’s awkward silence for a moment)

Isabel (looking between Max and Michael nervously): I don’t know if this is such a good idea.

Liz: What all of us being in the same room together?

Isabel: It’s just risky.

Michael (sending a worried look to Max): She’s right, this is a bad idea…

Maria: Give it a rest. (Max, Michael, and Isabel look at her and she looks over at Liz)

Liz: You guys are so busy pushing us away and worrying about us you’ve forgotten about yourselves.

Max (looking at her confused): What?

Liz (walking over to him and practically shoving the folder at him): She’s not from your planet…she’s not even in high school…and her name isn’t Tess. (Max looks down at the folder and Isabel and Michael walk over to Max. He opens the folder and it’s the police report and her file from the Rachelle Ramsey House – all of them are confused and speechless.)

Max: How’d you…

Alex (raising his hand): Guilty. (Max looks up at him and over at Liz)

Isabel (in shock, flipping through some of the papers): I don’t understand.

Liz: She’s a graduate student at Princeton. Studying psychic phenomena…

Michael (looking up from his paper): What?

Liz: A lot of the powers you have could be explained as…psychic. Connecting with objects…moving objects with your mind…and some humans have them too. She studies them…(She pauses) and can also do them.

Isabel (confused and panicky): Excuse me?

Liz: She can do what’s called bio-psychokinesis. (Michael’s about to say something but Liz stops him) She can connect with people…and see things.

Max (completely shocked): Things?

Maria: Visions. (All three of the aliens’ mouths drop open blown away)

Isabel (falling down on the couch behind her): Oh my god.

Max: That’s why…

Alex: Look, we know who she is, now we just need to find out why she’s here.

Isabel (being snappy): Isn’t it obvious.

Liz (getting testy): Don’t snap at him. We’re here to help you.

Michael: Who’s she working for?

Alex: We don’t know.

Michael (looking at Alex): That’s what we need…that’ll tell us why.

Isabel: I can’t believe this. (Looking up at Max) Max? (Poor Max is just trying to take everything in from the conversation around him and the stuff that he’s reading. He looks down at his very scared sister)

Max: We’ll figure something out, Iz.

Liz: That’s why we’re here.

Maria: We need a plan.

Michael: No way.

Maria (defiantly): What?

Michael: It’s too dangerous for us to be together.

Maria: What? I can’t be in the same room with you, but you can stalk me?

Liz (looking from Michael to Max): What aren’t you telling us? (Michael and Max share a quick glance that Alex catches)

Alex: I don’t know about these two (motioning to Liz and Maria) but I sure as hell feel like I deserve the truth.

Michael (looking at Max and pausing): I’ve been following you, because he’s here…he’s close.

Maria: What are you talking about?

Michael: Nasedo, I’ve felt him, a couple of times…when I’ve been near you.

Maria (getting paranoid in true Maria fashion): Lead him right to me why don’t you – did you point out my window to him too?

Liz: Maria…

Michael: I’ve felt him at the Crashdown…and at Alex’s.

Alex: The last to know the first to go…

Liz (starting to get irritated and pissy): Listen! We have two issues here. Can we deal with them one at a time? (Everybody looks at her) Let’s first figure out what to do with “Tess” and then move on to the leader of your people? (Everybody just stands there for a second)

Maria: Sorry.

Max (not looking at Liz): Michael’s right. It’s too dangerous. He hasn’t even made himself known to us…we have no idea what his intentions are, what he’ll do.

Liz (shaking her head and letting out a sigh): You don’t get it do you? (Everybody looks at her and she looks at Max) All you’ve got, is an old man on a reservation…the shadow of man who eludes you…and the three of us.

Max (affectionate almost pleadingly): Liz I don’t want you to get hurt.

Liz (just glares at him and shakes her head and in her fury forgets that anybody else is there but Max): Is that a joke? You think he’s gonna hurt me – well here I am Max – cause it can’t be any worse than what you’ve already done. You saved my life…now we call it even! If after everything we’ve done for you – for Michael, for Isabel – if after everything…he still wants to hurt me…then fuck him. And you know what, fuck you too Max for standing there and saying you don’t want me to get hurt – and pretending to sound like you mean it. (She stops looks away from Max and sees Isabel sitting off to the side of Max and she realizes that she wasn’t alone with him. She takes a second to gain composer while everyone is totally dumbfounded. In a shaky tone) Um…just let me know what my part in the plan is.

(She leaves the living room. Nobody moves and when the front door shuts everybody looks at Max. He’s just looking at where Liz was standing, it takes him a moment to realize that everyone is watching him and he heads after Liz. Once he’s gone from the room everybody left lets out the breath they’ve been holding and look around the room at each other.)

(Scene: Moments later outside the Evans house. Liz is down the street a little. And Max is running after her.)

Max: Liz! Liz!

(Liz stops and stands there for a second and Max catches up to within a few yards of where she’s standing. He stops and stares at the back of her. She turns around not looking up at him)

Liz: I saw you. (She looks up at his distraught face and pauses for a moment) I saw you kiss her. (His face flinches. She takes a step backward and then turns around and walks away. Max has a “what-the-hell-have-I-done” look on his face as he watches her go.)

(Scene: Various. Liz walking through the streets of Roswell. Max sitting on the curb with his head in his hands. Alex, Maria, Isabel, and Michael sitting around the living room looking over “Tess’s” files and planning the next move…The scene fast forwards to later in the night. Liz has fallen asleep on the lounge chair on her roof – with only a thin blanket. Max, carrying a letter quietly climbs up the escape ladder. When he sees her he stops – not sure if she’s awake. He realizes that she’s asleep and evaluates the situation. He wants to carry her back into her bedroom – but knows he can’t fit her through the window and might wake her. So he goes into her bedroom and gets her pillow and comforter. He gently covers her up and puts the pillow under her head. He sees her journal at the side of the chair and places the letter just inside the cover with part of it sticking out. He leaves.) Music: Sara MacLachlan - Black

(Scene: Max’s Bedroom, later the same evening. Michael is sitting on the bed. Max walks in and sits down next to him and rests his head in his hands.) Music: Red House Painters – Another Song For A Blue Guitar (softy)

Max (after a few long moments of silence): What have I done?

Michael: She fooled us all Max.

Max (shaking his head): Not you.

Michael: She was about to. (Max looks over at him confused) I felt her. The other day I was in the art room and I could feel something – someone watching me. I turned around and there she was – outside in the quad. (Shaking his head) She would have had us all…(smiling) except Maria.

Max: What have I done Michael? (Michael just looks at him) I thought it would be better…you know, if Liz hated me then it would be easier, she could move on, actually have a life. But I didn’t think about what that would do to me. I didn’t want…that (motioning to the living room).

Michael (softly): Attachments Maxwell, it was rule number one for a reason.

Max (shaking his head): We were ten when we made those rules Michael…we thought if anyone knew they’d turn us in…we thought kissing girls was still gross…what the hell did we know?

Michael: That we were different and that meant being alone.

Max (looking at Michael): We thought we were freaks…freaks that no one would love – we were wrong.

Michael: Maybe Max but we are different and there has to be rules…

Max (interrupting and looking away from him): Michael, they’re broken…we are attached. I fucked it up ‘cause I was scared…and you pretend not to be because you’re scared. Admit it, deny it…it’s there Michael. (He looks over at him) I want the answers like you do…I want to know who we are…where we come from…what it means to be us…but I want her too.

Michael: And the “what if”?

Max: What if we leave, what if I lose her, what if I hurt her…which of those haven’t I done?

Michael (pauses): Let’s just handle Tess first… (At the sound of Tess’s name Max lowers his heads in his hands again and lets out a sigh)

Max: Oh god…I should have listened. (After a long pause) She kissed me.

Michael (confused): Liz?

Max: Tess – whatever her name is. She leaned in and I knew it was coming and I didn’t push her away. And all I could think was Liz – how much pain this would cause her…that I was causing her.

Michael: You had to Max, you were feeling something and you had to know. Hell I would’ve done the same thing.

Max: She saw. (He looks over at Michael’s puzzled face) Liz saw us kiss. (Michael’s face flinches) I don’t think I can do this…I don’t think I should be around Tess – not knowing what she can do, obviously I’m the one she’s after.

Michael: No Max, you’re about the only one who should be around her. (Max looks confused) You’ll be too busy thinking about Liz to give anything away.

(Scene: Liz’s Roof, early morning. Liz is sleeping on the lounge chair. She squints as the sun gets brighter and rolls over on the lounge chair almost falling off – causing her to jerk up. She looks around confused – realizing that she slept outside. She looks down at her comforter and at her pillow – extremely confused. She starts to get up from the chair but sees the envelope sticking out of her journal. She reaches down, grabs her journal and pulls out the envelope and opens it. She sits back and reads:

Liz, You said that you’d always have my secret, but Liz you’ve always had me. Whatever was happening between Tess – Annie – and I, I never confused it with what happened between us. And whatever I might have been feeling I never mistook it for what I feel for you. I think I’m in love with you Liz – it terrifies and exhilarates me at the same time. I pushed you away because loving you has risks – risks that I don’t even know about, that I don’t want to expose you to. I pushed you away because on the slight chance that you do love me back I wouldn’t care about the risks. If by hurting you now I could save you from a far greater pain to come – can you understand why I would do it? Can you understand that I would love you that much? But there’s no way to know the future. So I was torn between loving you now if only to hurt you in the end or hurting you now if only to have maybe loved you for a lifetime. Neither was fair to you. I needed to either give in or let go – and I’m afraid now I’ve lost the right to choose. And now I know what it feels like to lose you – even though I never could claim to have had you – and losing you once is enough to know that I’d never want to lose you again. I know it’s too little too late, after what’s happened. I can’t give you much, but at least I can give you this – the truth. I only hope that one day you can look at me and smile again. Max

Liz takes a couple of deep breaths puts the letter back in the envelope and places the envelope back in her journal. She stares at the journal for a moment and then throws it at the wall. She hugs her knees and rocks gently back and forth as tears fall down her cheeks)

(Scene: Tess’s House, same day. Michael is at the back door. He looks around and then unlocks the door with his powers. He quickly goes inside and starts looking through things. He opens drawers and cabinets, looks under the bed, in the trash,…general snooping activities. He doesn’t find anything, disappointed and frustrated he leaves.)

(Scene: Crashdown, after closing, same day. Maria and Liz are sitting on the couch in the back.)

Liz: What time are they supposed to be here?

Maria (looking down at her watch): Soon. (She looks over at Liz) So you want to talk about yesterday?

Liz: No.

Maria: Liz, it’s me…and yesterday was very – unlike you.

Liz (looks over at her): Do you ever feel like you’re trapped in a washing machine stuck on the spin cycle? (Maria just looks at her and Liz looks away.) I’m confused Maria…I don’t know what to do or what to feel. I just want someone to turn the damn machine off and let me out. (Maria’s about to say something but Alex comes through the back entrance door.)

Maria: Hey Alex. (Liz looks up at Alex and stands up)

Liz: I should make sure the front door’s locked. (She goes into the front)

Alex: How’s she doing?

Maria: I don’t know.

(The back door opens again and Max, Isabel, and Michael walk in and Liz comes back from the front. Can we say awkward silence?)

Alex: Let’s get down to business. (Liz gives him a grateful look.)

Maria: What’d you find?

Michael (frustrated): Nothing.

Maria: Nothing? Did you check the trash?

Michael: Yes.

Maria: Her books? (Michael just looks at her, cause he didn’t) Her phone? (Another look) Anything other than the trash?

Michael (defensive): There wasn’t anything there – just a stupid cat.

Maria (looks at Max and Isabel): Who decided to send him?

Michael: Like you could have found something.

Maria: Well you’re obviously no Sherlock.

Liz (calmly): What do we do know? (There’s a pause)

Alex: Was her computer hooked up to a phone line?

Michael: I don’t know…there were two cords.

Alex: If her computer’s hooked up to a phone line I might be able to access it – but it has to be on. You have her phone number Max?

Max: Yea.

Alex: We can’t do it when she’s there…she’d be able to tell.

Isabel: Aren’t you studying with her after school?

Max (totally fighting it): Yea, in the library.

Michael: I’ll go back tomorrow after school...

Maria (looking at him): And I’ll drive you.

Alex: Make it quick though and when you’re done come by my house so I know it’s on. (Looking at Max) How long will you be studying?

Max: I don’t know, couple hours.

Alex: Should be enough – call me before you take her home.

Isabel (seeing Alex in a new light): You sure you can do this?

Alex: No. Doesn’t stop me from trying though.

(Scene: Tess’s House, next day, after school. Michael and Maria are standing outside the back door. Maria’s on the lookout and Michael puts his hand over the door lock.)

Maria: Try not to blow it up okay?

Michael: I still don’t understand why you’re here.

Maria: Well, if you’d have done this right the first time I wouldn’t need to be.

Michael: Will you shut up, I’m trying to concentrate.

(He unlocks the door and holds it open for Maria. They enter and quickly close the door behind them. Michael walks over to the laptop on the living room table, the cat follows him and annoyingly won’t leave him alone. Maria starts flipping through books, looking behind them, looking under the couch – and behind it. She goes over to the phone. It’s a cordless phone – the phone is gone but the holder has an intercom a dial pad and a bunch of options/buttons…i.e. redial, phone, off, hold etc. She pushes the redial button and the intercom comes on and starts dialing a number. Michael looks over from the computer to Maria and they both look at the phone. It rings twice and then…)

Phone: Agent Topolsky.

(Maria instinctively hits the off key and looks at Michael who mirror’s her “holy shit” face. The phone rings. Maria looks down at it and thinks quickly.)

Maria: The cat.

Michael: What?

(Ring)

Maria: Give me the damn cat. (Michael grabs the cat and hurriedly hands it to her)

(Ring)

(Maria clicks the “phone” button and holds the cat – squirming over the intercom. It meow’s a couple of times and Maria hits a couple of numbers and buttons – making it seem like the cat is walking on the phone.)

Topolsky: Stupid cat. (Click)

(Maria practically drops the cat, letting out a big breath and her and Michael just look at each other again with “holy shit” faces.)

(Scene: Alex’s bedroom. Alex is sitting at the computer – fiddling with it – and Liz is sitting on his bed, off to the side of him.)

Alex: So…

Liz: Alex, I really don’t…

Alex: Hey I coulda been askin’ about the weather.

Liz (smiling at him): Really?

Alex: I wasn’t…but I coulda been.

Liz (after a pause, softly): Thank you Alex.

Alex (looking up from the computer and over at her): For…

Liz: For doing this – everything you’ve done.

Alex (thoughtfully): I care about them too.

Liz: Isabel.

Alex: I just try and understand it – you know. One day life’s biggest challenge is matching lipsticks and nail polish and deciding what to wear…and them all of a sudden it’s being harassed and followed by multiple forms of government law enforcement and whoever this person is – (looking over at Liz) still mind you, all the while looking fabulous.

Liz (thinking about what he said): Yea…

Alex (returning to his computer): And how long can it go on? (Liz looks up him) Can’t these people give up already?

Liz (thinking after a minute): I don’t know. I guess it could never end.

Alex: We’re all gonna end up like Maria or Michael – paranoid or disturbed and paranoid. (Liz laughs at Alex and he continues) Think about it. We’ve now entered the “ Xenophobe Zone” – every person we meet from now on could be after us.

Liz (laughing at first but then realizing the absolute truth of what he said): Every customer at the Crashdown.

Alex: You were right when you said all they have are the three of us. And in a way, they’re all we’ve got too – at least to share these highly dramatic moments we could all live without…(Maria and Michael practically knock the bedroom door down.)

Maria: Topolsky!

Liz (startled by there entrance): What?

Maria: She’s working for Topolsky. (Alex and Liz look at each other)

Alex: Are you sure?

Michael: Unless she said Koloplsky – pretty damn sure.

Liz: Oh my god, I didn’t think….

Alex (thinking out loud): Okay, if I can get into her computer maybe I can…we can find out what she’s been writing, e-mails…

Michael: No…I think we should ask her. (Maria, Liz and Alex all look over at him.)

(Scene: School. There is a quick scene of History class. To set the stage: Tess sits farthest away from the door – last row middle. Isabel and Max are next to each other in the back middle of the room. Maria and Liz sit one row away from them in the center of the room. And Michael sits up front one row closer to Tess than Max and Isabel. So if you can picture them sort of sitting in a crud semi-circle around her. Mr. Summers is lecturing and no one is really paying attention. Looks and glances are being shared between Max, Michael, Isabel and Maria and Liz. The scene cuts to Alex standing at the office counter talking to a student aide – whom we’ll call Julie. They are talking quietly.)

Alex (begging): Please.

Julie: I don’t know, Alex.

Alex: Julie (motioning to the piece of paper) it’s only three lines…please…my life is dangling in your hands here…I’ll do anything…

Julie: My computer lab?

Alex: Yours and your mothers. (She grabs the paper and turns to go over to a desk. Alex mouths the words “thank you” to her and leaves.)

Julie (to the secretary): I have a message for a student.

Secretary (looking at the clock): There’s only a minute left, go ahead and read it.

(Julie goes over to where the school intercom is at and sits down.)

(The scene cuts back to the History class. Maria looks impatiently at the clock and then over to Michael – and they both look up as the loud speaker comes on.)

Intercom: Annie Robinson…Annie Robinson…you’re wanted in the office.

(At the mention of her real name “Tess’s” face drops as she stares at her desktop. Five pairs of eyes are looking at her but all she feels are one. She takes a deep breath and looks over to see Max’s hurt/questioning face and then she turns slightly to meet Liz’s intense stare. The bell rings and everybody makes a move to leave except the six of them. They slowly get out of their desks and lean against them – i.e. Michael sits on top of his desk, Maria just shifts so that she’s sitting facing “Tess” while the others are standing leaning against their seat or another desk. “Tess” shifts as the teacher leaves and they’re all alone in the room. There’s a moment of silence and then Alex comes barging in the room.)

Alex: What’d I miss? (Everybody looks from Alex back to “Tess”)

Michael: We were just about to ask…Annie…why she’s here.

Annie (leaning back): Wow…Um…how did you…

Maria (cutting her off): I think you’re the one who needs to answer the questions – we’ll do the asking.

Annie (raising her eyebrow at Maria’s boldness): Fine. Obviously you know who I am, so I am assuming you know…what I do.

Liz: We know who you’re working for too.

Annie: What don’t you know?

Max: Why you’re here.

Annie (looking down at the floor and then taking a deep breath): I’m working on the leading research project in the country dealing with something called bio-psychokinesis. That’s the…

Liz: We know what it is.

Annie (taking another breath): I was approached by someone...

Michael: Ms. Topolsky.

Annie (looking at Michael and nodding): Yes. She told me that some things had been happening in Roswell that I might be interested in. Things that the FBI scientists and agents were having problems explaining and understanding. She thought my study and…abilities might be able to help them. I was reluctant at first but she sent me a file with some newspaper clippings and initial reports…

Michael (interrupting her): Reports?

Annie (pausing): Files on you.

Alex: All of us?

Annie: No, actually they were on Michael, Max, Isabel, and Liz. You two (motioning to Maria and Alex) were mentioned but not intended to be the focus of my study.

Max (somewhat disgusted): Study.

Annie (looking at Max): I was to become friends with you, observe you – in many ways – and report what I was seeing. (She pauses) The reason I agreed to do this...was because you’re teenagers.

Maria (disgusted): Excuse me?

Annie (looking at Isabel and Max): You have a gift like I do and it’s nothing to be scared of. (Trying to find the right words) I could feel you feeling me. Um…when I touched you I could feel you react to me. It wasn’t very strong – but it was there. (Max and Isabel share a worried glance)

Michael: And that’s what you told Topolsky?

Annie: I told her that I thought Max and Isabel might have slight psychical tendencies. But she was more interested in what I was seeing.

Michael (curtly): Which was?

Annie (looking around the room): You want to know? (No one answers her and she pauses) Alright. (Looking at Michael) You’re a very confused young man…you have a lot of pain and anger…and a lot of loneliness in you – and those feelings are so strong that it was hard to connect with you – I didn’t see anything from you – except when you were painting. (She smiles at remembering) When you caught me. And what I saw…was her (she points to Maria. Michael looks embarrassed and Maria surprised. Annie looks from Maria to Liz, who’s next to her.) And Liz…(Liz looks from Maria to Annie) I can honestly say that I have never been…more hated in my life – and I would know. You were impossible to connect with. Your feelings were so strong. (Liz looks down and away from her. She pauses and then looks at Isabel) Isabel, you puzzled me. I kept seeing the same image…it was of the desert – it was dark out with just the stars and then headlights. I didn’t understand it…until you touched me last week. Then I saw the same image but you – and I’m assuming Max – you were about 6 or 7 – you were in it…holding hands and you were naked. And then I could understand the feelings that I was reading from you…you’re still very much that scared little girl standing in the headlights. (Isabel shifts uncomfortably and looks away from Annie. And Max realizing he’s next looks down at the ground very much uncomfortable. Annie looks at him warmly.) Max…you were obviously the primary focus…that’s pretty clear. (She pauses, not really knowing what to say to him and he looks up from the floor at her) You’re a wonderful person Max, you really are – very thoughtful…very kind…a lot older than your age. But you make a lousy date…for anyone other than her (she motions to Liz and Max looks at Liz). Let’s just say (thinking about it and not wanting to embarrass him she looks at him) let’s just say that. (Max blushes and looks away. Annie looks around the room) Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have some packing to do…and a flight to book. (She grabs her bag and starts to leave she stops at Liz and leans in toward her – whispering so that only she can hear) He loves you. (They share a glance and then Annie makes for the door. Liz turns to her before she leaves.)

Liz: What will you tell her?

Annie: Other than getting shamefully caught somehow…That I saw four sixteen-year-olds being sixteen-year-olds…trying to find themselves, understand why they’re here, and trying to figure out what love is (looking back at Max) – and finding it. You’re all very lucky.

(With that she leaves and the six of them just sort of stand there – overwhelmed by the touchy-feely session that just occurred.)

Email Author | Back to FanFic Page
index
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.