FanFic - Other
"The Dark Side of the Sun"
Part 6
by Tamara
Disclaimer: Roswell, the characters, and situations are owned by the WB. No infringement intended.
Category: Other
Rating: PG-13
Max leaned his head back against the headrest and closed his eyes. He knew that no matter what he or anyone else said, Michael was going to think and do what he wanted. The problem with that was that Michael wanted to believe that Tristan wasn’t a killer. He felt a soft hand glide over his cheek, and he slowly opened his eyes. He found himself staring into Liz’s caring, open face. She leaned over and gently kissed him on the mouth. For a moment he lost himself in the kiss, and let the problems of the moment wash away. When he felt her lips disappear, he opened his eyes again.

“Thank you.” he said, giving her a smile.

“For what?” she asked.

“Just being you.” he shook his head slightly, still amazed at how wonderful she was.

“Well, I couldn’t be anyone else now could I.” she joked playfully. He smiled again, but let it quickly fade. Even with Liz there, his mind was still full ofother thoughts.

“Michael will come around.” she told him, “He is just hurting and confused right now.”

“And I’m not?” Max asked, a sudden burst of anger flowing through him, “I may not have known Tristan as long as he has, but we were just as close. Doesn’t he know this is tearing me up inside too?”

“You know that Michael has always felt like he has less than you. If he believes that Tristan is,” she paused not wanting to say the word killer, “what we think he is, then that is just someone else that he doesn’t have.”

“Do you think I want that to happen?” he asked, running a hand through his dark hair, “It hurts to know that Michael is losing something that I can’t give him.”

Liz took on of his hands in her own. “What’s that, Max?”

“A true friend.”

“Max,” she said taking his face in her hands, “you are his true friend.”

“I know,” he said frustrated, “but Michael always felt different about Tristan. He felt closer because Tristan wasn’t tied to him like I am. It was his choice to be friends. We had no choice..”

“Listen to me, just because Michael and Tristan have a special bond, that doesn’t make your friendship with him any less important. Or any less strong. You are still a vital part of his life.”

“It’s just that Michael was always different around Tristan. It was like he was,” Max paused, “happier.”

Liz was at a loss for words. Max actually felt that his relationship with Michael was somehow lessened because of Tristan. Without saying anything more, she pulled him into her arms and did the only thing she could, held him.

**************************************************************************

Having laid the last chair on top a table, Liz walked over to the counter and began half-heartedly wiping it down. The evening rush had done nothing for her already exhausted state. As she slowly sat down on one of the stools, she let herself release the long sigh she had been holding in since that morning. It felt like she had lived a week's worth of life in this 24 hour period. Facing Tristan's anger, her friends' confusion, and Max's pain had drained her completely. Especially Max's pain. While it was probably an unfair expectation, she saw Max as her constant strength. To see him so hurt and at a loss threw her world askew. So absorbed was Liz in her thoughts and exhaustion she didn’t notice Tristan standing just a few feet away, staring at her. He had come in, unnoticed, through the backdoor. For a moment she could say nothing. The surprise of seeing him and the happiness she felt over the fact that he was all right clogged her throat.

“Tristan!” she almost ran to hug him but stopped herself when she say the look on his face. It was indifferent and his normally vibrant eyes were hollow. “We’ve been looking for you. I thought you’d left.”

“I’m still here.” he sounded distant, and she noticed that he wouldn’t look her in the eye.

“We all got together and talked about what’s happening.”

“Oh really.”

“Max and I told everyone about what happened. The things you’ve done.” she stepped towards him slowly, but he reacted by retreating as she got closer.

“And what did they think about these, things, you told them.” his voice was harsh, and unnaturally detached, it sounded as if it were coming from someone else.

“They,” she wavered for a moment, struck by how different he seemed, “they were shocked, of course, but-”

He sharply cut her off, “But they don’t care that she’s dead either?”

“No, I didn’t say that.”

“Then what are you trying to say, Liz. I don’t have time for this.”

“I’m trying to tell you that we all got together at the cave and decided that you did what you had to do. You aren’t responsible for it, it wasn’t something you could control. They know how hard destiny can be to face.”

“So what? You’re going to send me to killers anonymous?”

“No. Tristan, we forgive you. Max, Michael and Isabel forgive you. They understand. I understand.”

He didn’t say anything. For just a second she saw a flash of recognition in his eyes. But it was gone as soon as it had appeared. He walked slowly past her, lightly running his fingers over the counter. He glanced at the door that lead to the stairs to her apartment above the Cafe. He turned back around to face her and finally spoke, “Do you remember our conversation on those stairs two days ago?” he cocked his head slightly.

“Yes.” she said slowly, she remembered it well. She had promised not to tell Max what she had learned that night and then had taken his hand. It was the first time they had really touched.

“I thought you promised.”

“I know, and I did, but...”

“Extenuating circumstances, eh? Or maybe a promise from Liz Parker just isn’t any good.”

“Tristan, I am so sorry.”

He just stared at her.

“I didn’t want to tell him. I had to. You have to understand, I thought he was in danger, I had to.”

He continued to just look at her, this time letting his eyes stare into hers.

“Say something.” she said, desperate to hear his voice, even if it was to scream at her, and tell her how much he hated her. She just wanted to hear his voice.

But he still said nothing. His gaze was so intense that she thought for a moment they would connect, but they didn’t. His eyes were dark and empty. They weren’t the same eyes of the boy she had sat up talking with all of the night before. They didn’t even belong to the scared, angry, lonely boy she had seen that night they had connected. He turned his back on her, and walked out of the Crashdown.

*******************************************************************

“Did you find him?” there was pure desperation, and fear in Isabel’s voice. Michael, Isabel, Alex and Max had gathered at the Evans house to discuss the situation. Maria and Liz were on their way.

“No. He’s disappeared. We won’t find him.” Michael said, his voice low and despondent. They had been looking for Tristan since early that evening, but so far their search had turned up nothing. It was as if he had vanished into mid air.

“Maybe that’s not such a bad thing.”

“What?!” Isabel turned her anger on her brother.

“Is, he was put here to kill us.”

“So? We were put here to save our planet, you were supposed to marry Tess! Destinies aren’t always followed. If anything, we’ve proven that.”

“I thought we already decided that he didn’t really want to kill you guys.” Alex said, taking Isabel’s hand.

At that moment Maria came in through the front door. “Did I miss anything important?”

“Where’s Liz?” Max said, worried, looking behind her.

“She wasn’t at the Crashdown, I thought she had already come over here.”

“Well, she’s obviously not here.” Michael said, giving the room a sweeping gesture.

“Tristan.” Max said in a low, dangerous sounding voice.

“What about him?” Michael asked.

“I bet he has her. I’d bet my life on it.”

“Damnit Max, this isn’t the time for your petty jealousies.” Michael said angrily.

“Why can’t you see that he is dangerous?” Max shouted, “He came back here to kill us, and now he has Liz.”

They all turned in surprise when the doorbell rang.

“Tristan?” Isabel said, giving Max a questioning look.

“Somehow I doubt that killers ring the bell.” Maria said sarcastically.

“He was pretty polite.” Alex said, getting looks from the rest of the group.

The doorbell rang again, and the group realized someone would have to get the door. All eyes immediately went to Max, who blinked once, then slowly made his way to the door. “Who is it?” he ask cautiously.

“It’s me.” Liz said through the door, “What’s going on? Let me in.”

Max took a deep sigh of relief and quickly opened the door.

“What took so long?” Liz asked, reaching up to give him a quick kiss.

“We thought you were Tristan.” Alex told her.

“Why would you think that?” she asked.

No one responded.

“Good reason guys.” Liz said rolling her eyes.

“Have you seen him?” Max asked, sensing something off about his girlfriend.

Liz paused, and looked away from him, unable to look him in the eye.

“Liz?” he said, gently taking her hand.

“He came to the Crashdown.” she finally admitted.

“What? When?” Michael shouted.

“Earlier this evening. I was closing, he came in through the backdoor.”

“What did he say?” Isabel asked anxiously.

“Not much. He seemed,” she paused, trying to find the right words, “off.”

“Did he hurt you?” Max asked, his eyes running over her with concern.

“No, no.” she said, still trying to figure out exactly what Tristan’s mood had been. “He wasn’t angry, just... detached. It was like he didn’t have any emotions. He was almost mechanical.”

"Are you sure you don't mean maniacal.” Alex said, in the background. No one laughed.

“What did you say to him?” Isabel asked.

“I told him about what happened at the cave,” she paused, looking at Max, then back at the group, “and that I was sorry for breaking my promise and telling Max his secret.”

“And what did he say?” Max asked, continuing to gently stroke her hand.

“A few sarcastic things, then nothing. He just walked out. The look in his eyes wasn’t right, Max. They shouldn’t be that cold.”

For a moment Max was unnerved that Liz, his Liz, had noticed the look in another man’s eyes, but it quickly passed. Now was definitely not the time.

“Do you know where he went?” Michael asked, sounding a bit agitated.

“No. He just left.” Liz said, wishing she had another answer. Max pulled her into an embrace, holding her head against his chest.

“So here we are again.” Alex said, pacing the room, “Should we look for him? Just let him go and hope he never shows again? What?”

“I think Michael is right.” Isabel said, “If he doesn’t want to be found, he isn’t going to be found.”

“I think Liz should go back to the Crashdown.” Michael said quietly, surprising everyone.

“Why?” Maria asked, the fear for her friend evident in her voice.

“Because if there is anyone that he is going to go to, it seems like it would be Liz. I mean, he’s gone to her before.”

“No.” Max said firmly, “I am not going to put her in that position.”

“Hello.” Liz said, taking a step away from Max, “I am in the room you know. Don’t I get any say in this?”

“Liz,” Max said, taking her hands, forcing him to look into his eyes, “I am not going to put you in danger like that.”

“I don’t think I would be in any danger, Max.”

“He’s a-”

“Yes, I know.” she said, interrupting him, “But I don’t think he would hurt me. If he wanted to he already could have.”

“I agree with Liz.” Isabel said, “Tristan wouldn’t hurt her. What reason would he have?”

“To get to us!” Max said indignantly.

“He already can get to you.” Maria said, “He doesn’t need Liz for that.”

“Yeah Max, and maybe if he does come to me I can talk to him. Find out what is going on.” Liz reasoned.

“I don’t like it.” Max said to the group, but staring at Liz.

Liz pulled him gently aside as the others talked about the plan. “I’ll be fine.” she said, conforting him.

He pulled her into his arms. “I just don’t want anything to happen to you.” he said, stroking her hair.

“Nothing will.” she said, kissing him deeply.

And with that she left his arms to go wait for another man.

Index | Part 7
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.