Fanfic - Other Roswell Stories
"The Summer Season"
Part 6
by Clint Parks
Disclaimer: Roswell and its characters are the property of Fox Television and the United Paramount Network.
Summary: This fic is part 6 of 13 stories that compile the Roswell Summer Season that was originally posted at my website (roswellfix.tvheaven.com). It takes place shortly after the events in the Roswell Season Two finale.
Category: Other Roswell Stories
Rating: PG-13
The Sheriff's truck came to an abrupt halt at the foot of the hill, parking next to the red Jetta. The DeLuca's and the Valenti's got out of the vehicle and carefully looked around.

"They've got to be around here somewhere," said Sheriff Valenti, his son Kyle at his side.

Maria and Sean DeLuca joined the search until finally they spotted three figures at the top of the hill.

"There they are!" shouted Maria, who ran to join the trio.

Moments later, the two groups stood together on top of the hill, peering down a dark mine shaft. Max Evans, Liz Parker and Michael Guerrin had all spent the night tied to posts while the evil Nicholas probed their thoughts and forced Michael to give up the secret location of the Trident device. Meanwhile, the mysterious Kel had entered the shaft looking for Isabel. Max quickly updated everyone present on what had happened while Liz did her best to distract Sean.

"What are you doing here?" asked Sean, "we've been looking for you."

"I know," answered Liz, "but its okay. A bunch of us decided to go for a drive and lost track of time. That's all."

Sean squinted. "But the Sheriff said you and some friends were camping."

"R-right," stammered Liz, "we went for a drive and decided to go camping."

Liz forced her lips to smile, but Sean shook his head. "But if you decided to go camping at the last minute, how did the Sheriff know what you were doing?"

Liz was at a loss for words as Sean stared at her. Suddenly, a hand touched Liz's shoulder. It was Max.

"Michael, the Sheriff and I are going to stay here," he said, "the rest of you should head back to town."

"But what about Isabel?" protested Liz.

"We'll take care of it," replied Max.

Meanwhile, Maria hugged Michael. "Oh, I'm so glad you're safe. It must have been awful."

"Yeah." Maria looked closely at Michael, who had a distant look on his face.

"Michael, are you all right?"

"I'm fine."

Maria ran her hand through Michael's hair and drew herself close. "What did he do to you?" she whispered.

Michael shot Maria a pained look, but before he could answer, Max interupted.

"Michael," he said, "it's time. We've got to find Isabel."

Michael nodded and looked down at Maria. "I have to go. I'll see you later."

Maria reached up and kissed Michael. "I love you," she breathed.

With that, Maria, Liz, Kyle and Sean piled into the Jetta and headed back to Roswell. Max lowered a rope into the mine shaft.

"Max, are you sure you should go down there?" asked Sheriff Valenti.

"It's our only chance of finding Isabel," answered Max.

"Okay, but first sign of trouble, I want you out of there," said the Sheriff.

Max nodded and began his decent. Suddenly, a pair of green eyes appeared in the darkness.

"Isabel is with me," said a voice from the darkness, "she's going to be okay."

Max knew the voice belonged to Kel. "Bring her up," he yelled, then pulled himself out of the shaft. Moments later, Kel emerged with Isabel slung over his shoulder.

"Hold it right there," ordered Sheriff Valenti, pointing a gun at Kel.

Max knelt by Isabel, who was laying on the ground. "What did you do to her?" he asked.

"I didn't do anything," replied Kel, "but she's been drugged."

"By who?" asked Valenti.

"The Skins," came Kel's chilly answer.

Max put his hand on Isabel's forehead and concentrated. An orange glow appeared around his hand as he tried to counter-act the drugs in Isabel's system. After a minute, Isabel openned her eyes.

"Max?" she moaned, "what happened?"

Max put a finger to her lips. "Shhhh. You're going to be okay. Everything's alright."

Max lifted his sister to her feet, but when she saw Kel, she suddenly screamed. "Max, it's him! He's dangerous!"

"I know," replied Max, "he's Khivar's enforcer."

"I'm more than that," said Kel.

Suddenly, the sounds of many people wheezing and moaning could be heard coming from the mine shaft. Kel looked to the others.

"Get out of here now," he warned, "Those Skins are more dangerous than they look."

Max listened to the sounds coming closer and closer. He turned to Sheriff Valenti. "We better get Isabel out of here while she's weak."

Reluctantly, Sheriff Valenti put away the gun and helped Max guide Isabel into the truck. Michael joined them and they sped away.

Kel turned to face the shaft and watched as his people emerged to the surface.

---------------------

After regrouping with the others at the Crashdown, Liz took Isabel upstairs to refresh while Max sat with Michael in a corner booth.

"Michael, where did you and Maria put the Trident?" he asked.

"It's, ah, at my place," answered Michael, distracted.

"Then that's where Nicholas must have gone." Max looked closely at his second in command, and added, "It wasn't your fault, you know. You couldn't have possibly resisted Nicholas's power."

Michael shifted in his seat. "You did. When Nicholas tried to find the Granolith, you resisted him. That's why you're better off facing him without me. I'm not strong enough."

"Michael, none of us are strong enough on our own. But we're a team. Together we'll find a way to get the Trident back."

"I don't think so. I mean, what if the Trident isn't even that important."

"The Trident is the only way for me to find my son."

"Then that's your problem!" With that, Michael got up to leave.

"Michael, wait..." Max tried to grab Michael's arm, but it was too late. Michael quickly walked out of the Crashdown and down the street.

----------------

Liz, now in waitress uniform, served Sean a soft drink and sat down across from him.

"So what's going on, Parker?" asked Sean, "Where were you last night?"

"I told you..." Liz looked at Sean's face and decided he wasn't buying her story any more. "Look," she began, "It's just something I can't talk about."

"If you're having a problem with this Kel guy, or if Max has you involved in something..." Sean trailed off, hoping Liz would fill in the rest.

"No," said Liz, "it's nothing like that. It's just...private."

"Liz, I know somethings going on. You can talk to me."

Liz rubbed her arms while trying to think of a response and suddenly winced. Apparently, being tied to a post in the New Mexico desert had left her with a bad sun burn on her left arm. Sean noticed the burn also.

"Let me get you something to put on that," he suggested, "then maybe we can talk."

Liz watched as Sean got up and went to the back room, then she winced once again as she inspected the sun burn. From across the room, Max could see Liz was alone and decided to join her. Taking Sean's abandoned seat, Max sat across from Liz.

"Liz, are you okay?" he asked, watching Liz wince once again.

"Yeah," replied Liz, "its just a sun burn."

Grining, Max reached across the table and put his hand on Liz's burned arm. At first, Liz felt the pain of his touch, but then suddenly it started to feel better. The dry, red patch on her arm started to soften and by the time Max let go, the burn was gone.

Touching the spot on her arm, Liz smiled sheepishly at Max. "Thank you," she said.

"My pleasure." Max returned the smile and for a moment, he and Liz looked into each others eyes and saw themselves as they once were. A time when they were in love.

But the moment was lost when Max suddenly saw Sheriff Valenti come through the door, a grim look on his face. He motioned for Max to join him outside. Max excused himself and went out. As Liz watched him go, Sean returned with a small bottle of burn treatment.

"Here, try this," he said, sitting down.

"Oh, thanks," said Liz.

"So, are you ready to talk to me?" asked Sean.

"Sean, I told you I can't talk about certain things with you. I'm sorry."

"But you could talk to Max."

"What?"

"I saw him sitting with you before I came back," explained Sean, "I don't get you, Parker. Don't you see what Max is doing? He's only going for you all of a sudden because Tess moved away, or whatever."

"Sean, no," Liz had to laugh at the idea, "it's not like that. Trust me."

"I wish I could. But you have to talk to me first." Sean got up and walked away.

-------------------

Maria found Michael sitting on a bench in the park. She sat next to him and put her head on his shoulder.

"Do you want to talk about it?" she asked.

"About what?"

"About whatever's bothering you. Maybe I can help you."

"No one can help me."

"Hey, losing the Trident wasn't your fault."

"Why does everyone keep reminding me of that?"

"Because," replied Maria, "we want you to get over it and feel better about yourself."

"That's not going to happen. Don't you get it? It's not what happened, it's how it happened!"

Maria sat back and listened closely as Michael continued. "I couldn't fight him. He raped my mind and there wasn't anything I could do about it. I mean, this was only one Skin. What happens when we find Khivar's enforcer?"

"So what are you saying?" asked a concerned Maria, "You're just giving up?"

"I'm saying I'm scared! You want the truth, that's it!" Michael fought to regain his composure before continuing, "I'm afraid that if we fail, I'll lose everything I have. Max, Isabel...especially you. If we run, at least we have a chance of being together."

Maria put a hand on Michael's knee. "Michael," she said softly, "I don't blame you for being afraid. But I also believe in you. Remember when you killed Agent Pierce? You were afraid then because you thought you weren't strong enough to protect me. But look at how far you've come since. You overcame it."

"And you think the only way I'll overcome my fear now is to fight it," concluded Michael.

"I think you can do it," assured Maria, "I think Max and Isabel need you."

Maria hugged Michael and spoke softly in his ear. "I'm afraid, too. But I believe in you."

Michael looked at Maria as a small grin appeared at the corner of his mouth. "Thank you," he said, and he kissed her. Together, Michael and Maria held each other until they were finally interupted by Max.

"Sheriff Valenti found something," said Max, "There's a large gathering at the UFO Museum. Nicholas and the Skins are there with the Trident."

"What are they doing?" asked Michael.

"Valenti didn't get a good look, but apparently they've hooked the Trident up to an assortment of Brody's equipment. They're planning something."

Michael looked at Maria, who said, "This is it. The showdown."

Michael slowly stood and put a hand on Max's shoulder. "Let's do it," he said.

--------------------

Standing in the back room of the Crashdown Cafe, Maria hugged Michael and they kissed. Liz touched Max's arm and they exchanged a knowing look. Finally, Isabel joined them.

"Okay," said Max, "we're ready."

"Be careful," said Liz.

"I will," promised Max.

Together, Max, Michael and Isabel left the Crashdown and made their way to the UFO Museum.

Part 5 | Index
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.