FanFic - Other
"What the Lord Giveth..."
Part 1b
by Catlover
Disclaimer: Roswell, the story line and the characters do not belong to me. No, it is the sole property of the WB, the lucky buggers. I only have the current concept and a couple original characters to call my own.
Summary: Following the four square episode, The Federal Government beefs up it's surveillance at the very moment when the Roswell teens are trying to conceal a startling revelation.
Category: Other
Rating: R
Twisting the combination lock, Alex Whitman prepared mentally for a grueling economics exam. Alex’s mind was his most treasured asset. His tall body and awkwardly thin limbs merged to create a body that inspired little confidence on its own. He never did the sports thing, preferring the company of his two best friends: Liz and Maria. Consequently, he received a lot of flack for hanging out with girls, but his friends were loyal and stood by his side. All these years, Alex thought life was boring, consisting of school, a few good friends and little else. Now, with an alien girlfriend, his life was anything but boring.

Alex slammed his locker shut and turned down the hall. From the opposite direction, he saw Michael Guerin coming down the hall. Alex waved hi. Michael looked at him, a scowl on his face and walked right by. Alex turned around, his eyes following Michael. Coming back to his senses, Alex turned back around and stopped short in front of the smiling face of Isabel Evans. Isabel looked past Alex and frowned at Michael’s retreating form. Soon, she returned to Alex’s expectant eyes and smiled widely. Her eyes sparkled. Her cheeks blushed from the way Alex looked at her. She took his hand in hers and they left for economics class.

Fidgeting in her seat, Maria DeLuca watched Alex and Isabel enter the classroom and find their seats, the whole time attached at their fingers. Maria sighed as Alex’s eyes followed every movement Isabel made. For the thousandth time, Maria felt the green-eyed monster creep into her heart. It seemed like she had been waiting her whole life for something that just belonged to her, someone who saw the sun and the moon in her eyes and belonged in her arms alone. She dreamed of romantic situations found in often read Harlequin novels. She hoped for the devotion that she saw in Alex and Max’s eyes when they looked at Isabel and Liz. Alex and Max seemed to trust Isabel and Liz completely, but Michael didn’t seem to like or trust anyone, least of all her.

His arms, folded around her, did not comfort her.

On the contrary, they confused her.

There were moments when she wondered if he only kept her around to have someone to hold.

No, that can’t be right.

There must be more to it than that because why else would he have chosen to come to her on that miserable night. Months ago, after his foster father had beaten him up again, Michael showed up outside Maria’s window, drenched by a downpour of rain. She opened her window and let him in. She toweled him off and laid him on her bed. As the tears rolled down his face, Michael couldn’t look at her and she didn’t ask him to. Maria didn’t even ask for an explanation. She just held him and told him that everything would be all right.

A loud bell brought Maria out of her memories. For the next forty-five minutes, the test allowed Maria to ignore the questions in her heart. Another loud bell, the test and the class ended and the rest of the day began. Maria walked through the halls on autopilot. Her short, straight, blond hair framed her heart shaped face. Her red lips frowned and her big eyes looked down. A pair of black, slip-on flats came into view too late and Maria found herself knocking into Tess. They pulled away from each other, scalded by the contact.

Small and petite, Tess was shorter than Maria, so Tess retreated until her neck was no longer sharply arched. Questions flashed in Maria’s eyes. Tess’ eyes were narrow and dark. Tension ran through Maria’s muscles when Tess opened her mouth to speak, but a strong hand, firmly gripping the back of Tess’ neck, stopped her from speaking. Gracefully moving in from behind Tess, Michael glided next to the two young women. He reached out and put his other hand at the small of Maria’s back and pulled her close. Maria stumbled as Michael pulled her to him, but she quickly righted herself. Michael let go of Tess and Tess quickly brought a hand up to rub the bruised area, glaring at Michael all the while.

A warning floated in Michael’s eyes that he directed at Tess and she backed off, nodding at both Michael and Maria as she walked away. Confused, Maria raised her eyes to Michael’s chiseled features. Feeling a little anxious, Michael looked back down into Maria’s blue eyes. Grabbing her by the waist, Michael looked around before quickly pulling Maria into the eraser room.

Locking them in, Michael turned to Maria. As usual, Michael found himself at a loss for words and his communication turned physical. He placed his hands on Maria’s face and pulled her close. He kissed her lips softly, at first, and then drew her into a desperate kiss. After a few moments, as Maria pulled away, she looked deep into Michael’s eyes. She took in the confusion, doubt and longing reflected in them.

Firmly, Maria took Michael’s expressionless face in her hands. Without inquiry, Maria wrapped her arms around Michael’s shoulders and pressed him against her. Tentatively, Michael ran his hands up and down her back before stretching his arms around her, pulling her close. Maria felt the tension in his body and the words he wanted to say. She longed to shake him and force him to tell her, to reveal the secrets that troubled him and came between them. Instead, she just stood there for what seemed like forever, holding him, comforting him. She felt his lips against her neck, his warm breath against her shoulder and the eight words that finally escaped his defenses.

“I don’t trust Tess, stay away from her.”

Maria pulled away. She stared at the strain on his face as he fought with himself. Finally, Michael stood victorious over his uncertainty and continued, “I’m not convinced

she’s looking out for our best interests. And…And, I know she doesn’t like humans much. I think you, Liz and Alex need to watch your backs where she’s concerned.”

Maria’s eyes opened wide and whispered, “Do you think she might try to hurt one of us?”

“I think she sees you as a threat.”

-----<(0)>-----

Three hours later, throngs of teenage girls entered the locker room in the girl’s auxiliary. Isabel was among them. She grabbed her shorts and T-shirt and sneaked off to the bathroom. In a stall, Isabel started to quickly change; the last thing she needed was for the teacher to find her in here. With her street clothes folded in her arms, Isabel exited the stall. She stopped short when she realized Tess was standing in the doorway. Isabel smiled, but Tess didn’t.

Quickly, Isabel’s smile drained from her face. Nervously, she tucked her hair behind her ear. Tess walked up to Isabel, eyeing her stance. The closer Tess came, the lower Isabel held her clothes, until Isabel was holding them in front of her waist.

“Isabel, are you hiding something from me?”

“What do you mean?”

Tess started to circle around Isabel and asked, “Maybe, something about you and

Michael?”

Isabel started to walk to the door, but Tess cut her off. Flustered, Isabel stated, “I really

don’t know what you’re talking about. Tess-…I really need to get to class.”

Tess leaned against the door jam. She looked at the bundle of clothes in Isabel’s arms and continued, “Crazy thing, Isabel. Aren’t you supposed to change in the locker room?

I mean, isn’t it against the rules to change in here? You could get in a lot of trouble if you were caught.”

Isabel licked her lips and replied, “Yes, but I don’t like changing in front of everyone, so

I come in here. No need to worry, Tess. I’ve been really lucky since the semester started.”

Tess walked right up to Isabel and commented, “All semester, huh? Not always?”

Warily, Isabel stepped away from Tess. Tess followed. With each step Isabel took back, Tess took a step forward. Isabel looked over her shoulder when she felt the bathroom wall against her back. Taking advantage of Isabel’s moment of distraction, Tess grabbed at the bundle in Isabel’s arms. She threw the clothes on the floor. Isabel flattened herself against the wall and stared at Tess. In a swift movement, Tess grabbed at the waistband of Isabel’s shorts and pulled it away from her body. In response, Isabel grabbed at Tess’ hands and tried to fight her but Isabel was too late. Tess’ eyes grew large at the sight of the glow coming from Isabel’s abdomen. She looked up at Isabel; a look of confirmation and an honest smile covered her face.

“Why didn’t you tell me? Isabel, this is wonderful.”

Finding strength, she didn’t know she possessed, Isabel pushed Tess away. Tess stumbled back and Isabel scooped up her clothes. Isabel made her way toward the doorway, never turning her back on Tess. Once she stood in the doorway, Isabel warned,

“Tess, you stay away from me.”

Tess’ face paled. Tess approached Isabel slowly, one arm out-stretched. Panicking, Tess pleaded, “Isabel, I didn’t mean to scare you. I was just so frustrated because I could tell

you and Michael were keeping something from me. Please, you can’t shut me out now. I want to know everything. How far long are you and how did it feel when you and Michael were joined?”

The need in Tess’ voice caused Isabel to pause in the doorway. Contritely, Tess stepped a little closer, inching toward Isabel. Reconsidering, Isabel shook her head and commanded, “No, Tess. I want you to just stay away from me.”

Isabel walked out of the bathroom. Tess ran to the doorway and watched Isabel leave. Her fingers clutched the door-jam tightly and her shoulders shook as she started to cry.

Part 0 | Index | Part 1c
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.