FanFic - Other
"Y2-Kaos"
Part 1
by Damon Moudry
Disclaimer: All of the characters in this story collectively belong to Jason Katmis, The WB, Melinda Mertz and all the entities who hold the respective copyrights to both the Roswell High books, and Roswell TV series.
Summary: New Year's Eve in Roswell
Category: Other
Rating: PG
       

FADE IN:

INT. MARIA DE LUCA’S ROOM - NIGHT

MARIA De LUCA sits on her bed writing in a journal.

MARIA (O.C.) January 3rd, 2000. Journal entry number one. My name is Maria De Luca, and -- How the hell does Liz do this each week?

Maria shakes her head and continues writing.

MARIA (O.C.) Anyway, way I’m usually not the type to be keeping journals, but I figure if I didn’t get this one down, like, no one in their right mind is ever gonna believe what happened to me on New Year’s eve, so here goes.

INT. MARIA DE LUCA’S ROOM - NEW YEAR’S EVE NIGHT - (CONTINUOUS)

A TV sits on a dresser:

DICK CLARK Hello, and welcome to Times Square, everybody! I’m Dick Clark, and we’re just 45 minutes away from a new millennium!

Maria rolls over on her bed with the phone to her ear as she snacks on Chex party mix in a bowl.

MARIA So, what are you doing for the Millennium, Liz?

INT. THE CRASHDOWN CAFE - SAME

The cafe is packed and a party is in full swing. A TV on a wall shows various continents celebrating the new year. LIZ PARKER is on the phone by the kitchen doors, away from the commotion.

LIZ Oh, you know. My parents are throwing their annual New Year’s Eve party. How about you?

MARIA Oh, me and my mom are just spending a quiet evening with each other and staying in.

LIZ You guys should come and join us. You know my parents would love to have you.

MARIA I know, but I just don’t get this whole Y2K thing, you know? I mean, like, what is the big deal? The clock strikes twelve, you blow a few party favors, and then what? Nothing ever changes.

LIZ Yeah, but it’s fun. I mean, how many people can actually say they saw the dawn of a new millennium?

AMY De LUCA enters Maria’s room with a party hat on and blows a party horn.

AMY Happy Millennium, sweetie!

Amy smiles as Maria gets an amused look on her face.

MARIA Unfortunately, too many.

Amy leaves, blowing the party streamer.

MARIA Listen, I gotta go.

LIZ Well, if you guys change your minds, you’re more than welcome. I’m pretty sure the Crashdown is Y2K compliant.

MARIA Oh, great. So there’s no chance of you’re damn color chart being totally erased?

Liz smiles.

LIZ I’m afraid not. By the way, what’s Michael doing?

MARIA What’s Max doing?

LIZ Touche.

MARIA I’ll call you later.

LIZ Bye.

Liz hangs up and joins the party. Maria hangs up and looks out the bed room window. Outside, the festivities are in full swing: some firecrackers, the loud thumb of bass driven music, people standing around their cars.

Maria sees that her bowl of Chex is empty and walks toward her door. The phone rings. Maria picks it up.

MARIA Hello?

EXT. STREETS OF ROSWELL - SAME

MICHAEL GUERIN stands in a phone booth off the main street where crowds and crowds of people have gathered.

MICHAEL Maria?

Maria rolls her eyes.

MARIA Michael?

MICHAEL Yeah, listen. I need your help.

MARIA Excuse me? Did you say you needed my help? Have we forgotten that somebody -- Namely Michael, but I don’t want to name names -- Said he didn’t want anything to do with me and...

MICHAEL Will you just shut up about that for one minute and listen to me?! God!

Maria scowls at the phone.

MICHAEL I need your help. My foster dad’s in serious shit and if you don’t help me out, he’s gonna be in a world of hurt. And I don’t think even I can protect him this time.

Maria sits down on the bed with a worried look.

MARIA What’s wrong?

MICHAEL My foster dad -- Being the financial genius he is -- Took all of our money and gambled it playing poker with these thugs. Guess what? He lost, and if I don’t come up with $10,000 in the next...

Michael checks his watch...

MICHAEL ...45 minutes, they’re gonna kill him.

MARIA Oh, my God.

MICHAEL Yeah.

MARIA Did you call Max?

MICHAEL No. He doesn’t need to know. This doesn’t concern him.

MARIA But...

MICHAEL Just leave him out of it, all right?!

MARIA Okay, take a stress tab, gees!

MICHAEL I’m sorry. And I can’t call the sheriff for obvious reasons.

MARIA Well, yeah, you’re... You’re...

MICHAEL Not just that, but if he found out how my dad lost the money, he’d put him away for good. And then where would I be?

MARIA Right, right.

MICHAEL So... What do you say? Will you help me?

MARIA Help you? How? I can barely balance my own checkbook...

MICHAEL I need you to come up with $10,000 fast!

MARIA Are you nuts?! Are you out of your freak’n’ alien mind, Michael?! I don’t have that kind of cash on me!

MICHAEL Listen, Maria. You’re my last hope. If you want me to get down on my knees and beg you, I will. You here that? I’m begging you for this. Please, Maria. Please? Please?

Maria thinks a moment.

MARIA All right.

MICHAEL Thank you.

MARIA Okay, but you’re like gonna owe me big time here, buddy. We are talking major league.

MICHAEL Whatever you want.

MARIA All right, where are you?

MICHAEL I’m on the corner of 5th and Wabash. These guys said they were gonna be here at midnight with my dad and that I’d better have the money.

Maria scribbles down the address.

MARIA Okay, I got it.

MICHAEL You’re a life saver, Maria. Thank you.

MARIA Yeah, I’m Mother Teresa. Stay right where you are. I’m gonna be right there.

Michael hangs up and looks around nervously. Maria rolls her eyes.

MARIA I don’t know how I’m gonna come up with $10,000 dollars in the next 40 minutes, but I’ll be there.

Maria thinks a moment then appears to have a realization.

INT. AMY DE LUCA’S ROOM - CONTINUOUS

Maria opens a dresser drawer and takes out a thick envelope.

AMY (O.C.) Maria!

Maria nearly jumps out of her skin and then breathes a sigh of relief.

AMY (O.C.) Come on, they’re celebrating the New Year in New Guinea!

MARIA I’ll be right there, mom.

Maria opens the envelope and flips through a thick wad of hundred dollar bills.

MARIA Sorry mom, I’ll make it up somehow.

Maria tucks the envelope under her sweater and walks out of the room.

INT. THE DE LUCA HOUSE - LIVING ROOM - CONTINUOUS

Maria puts on a light jacket as she walks through the living room to the front door. Amy sits in front of a TV.

AMY Honey, where are you going? It’s almost midnight?

MARIA I have to go get something I left at work. I’ll be right back.

AMY Maria. Don’t lie to me.

MARIA Lie to you? What makes you think...

AMY Maria. I’m you’re mother and I know when you’re hiding something.

Maria appears worried.

AMY You didn’t leave anything at work. You’re just going to the Crashdown to spend New Year’s with Liz, aren’t you?

MARIA You got me, mom.

AMY Hey, I don’t mind. Go on. I know you’d rather be out partying that here with your dear old mom.

MARIA That’s not it mom...

AMY I’m not offended. I was young once. Go on. Have a good time. Just be careful, all right?

Maria smiles.

MARIA I will, mom. And I promise I’ll spend New Year’s with you. I just have to get something and I’ll be right back.

Amy nods and Maria exits out the door.

EXT. THE DE LUCA HOUSE - NIGHT

Maria pauses, appears ashamed, and walks to her car.

EXT. STREETS OF ROSWELL - NIGHT

Michael nervously paces back and forth as he checks his watch: 11: 23 PM.

INT. MARIA’S JETTA - NIGHT

Maria is behind the wheel as her tiny Jetta begins to slow as she approaches a group of people. There are about twenty or so, and they run back in forth across the street SMASHING storefront windows and carrying home electronics out of the darkened interior.

The Jetta begins to sputter and cough.

MARIA No, no. Not now.

Maria tries to turn it over. Now it’s grinding. The car dies.

MARIA No, no, no, no! Dammitt!!

Maria hits the wheel in disgust. Maria gets out of the car and surveys her surroundings. Maria gets out the paper with the address on it, and as she is doing this, the envelope FALLS onto the ground.

Maria picks up the envelope and a LOOTER grabs it out of her hand. Maria holds onto it, however, and a struggle ensues.

MARIA Hey, that’s mine, buddy!

The LOOTER manages to yank it free and runs off into the night. Maria’s face falls as she stands there in the middle of the larcenous activity.

MARIA Goddammitt! Awe, shit! Shit!

Maria shakes her head and then lowers it, and slowly walks on.

EXT. STREETS OF ROSWELL - NIGHT

Michael continues to pace back and forth. He checks his watch: 11: 29 PM.

MICHAEL Come on, Maria. Come on.

EXT. STREETS OF ROSWELL - DOWNTOWN - NIGHT

Maria runs down the street weaving in and out of the fierce crowds. She has a cellular phone to her ear. It rings.

MARIA Liz?

INT. THE CRASHDOWN CAFE - SAME

The phone rings and Liz picks it up off the counter.

LIZ Hello?

MARIA Liz?

LIZ Maria? Is that you?

MARIA Yeah!

LIZ Where are you? You sound like you’re running?

MARIA It’s a long story, but I need you to do me a major favor, okay?

LIZ Ah, sure. Anything. What is it?

MARIA I need you to pick me up at the corner of Conner and Fifth.

LIZ Conner and Firth... Maria, what’s going on?

MARIA Listen, I’ll explain it to when you get here. Just meet me there, okay?

LIZ Okay.

MARIA Thanks, Liz.

Maria collapses the phone as she sprints past the New Year’s Eve revelers. Liz hangs up the phone. Liz takes the car keys off a post, grabs a light jacket, and walks toward the front of the diner.

JACK PARKER, Liz’s father, stops her.

JACK Hey, Lizzy. Where you headed? It’s almost time for the ball to drop.

LIZ I know, but Maria called and I have to pick her up.

JACK Pick her up? What for?

LIZ I don’t really know.

JACK Well, just be careful. Hey, you’re welcome to bring her down here if you want. The more the merrier as they say.

Liz smiles.

LIZ Okay, dad. I’ll be back in a little while.

Liz walks out the front door.

EXT. THE CRASHDOWN CAFE - CONTINUOUS

Liz takes a few steps then stops cold. Her eyes go wide as she sees something:

LIZ Oh, no.

EXT. ROSWELL - DOWNTOWN - NIGHT

Maria runs through the crowds. Block after block, through the carnival-like atmosphere, Maria hauls ass. Maria runs smack into ALEX WHITMAN. Both of them fall to the ground from the impact and slowly get up.

ALEX Whoa, slow down there, Maria. Where’s the fire?

MARIA Alex, thank God. Listen, I need your help.

ALEX You need my help?

MARIA Yes.

ALEX You guys don’t need my blood or anything else like that again do you because I have to tell you, now that I’ve actually had time to think about how Isabel actually did that to me...

Maria grabs Alex.

MARIA Alex! Shut up and listen to me! Michael’s in trouble.

ALEX Again?

MARIA No, you don’t understand. This has nothing to do with his non-human status. In fact, it’s his Foster father who is in real danger.

A concerned look crosses Alex face.

ALEX Danger? What kind of danger?

INT. THE CRASHDOWN CAFE - UPSTAIRS - NIGHT

Liz stands in her room on the cellular phone. It rings.

LIZ Hello?

EXT. THE EVAN’S HOME - SAME

A familiar jeep sits in the driveway as New Years Eve revelers occupy the streets. The scene mimics the one outside Maria’s window.

INT. THE EVAN’S HOME - LIVING ROOM - CONTINUOUS

MAX and ISABEL EVANS, along with PHILIP and DIANE EVANS (their parents) sit in front of the TV watching the Dick Clark countdown special. The phone rings. Max gets up and answers it.

MAX Hello?

LIZ Max?

MAX Liz? Hi, is everything okay?

Isabel turns her head toward Max at the sound of Liz’s name. Max takes the phone into the foyer.

LIZ Yeah, listen. I hate to ask you for a favor, but I need your help.

MAX What’s wrong?

LIZ I need to pick Maria up downtown, but my car was stolen.

MAX Your car was stolen?

LIZ Yeah, believe me, my parent’s aren’t happy.

MAX I can see why not.

LIZ The point is I promised that I’d pick Maria up and now I don’t have any way of doing that. I really hate to ask you for this, but you know I wouldn’t unless it was really, really...

MAX Important.

LIZ Yeah.

Max notices Isabel staring at him.

MAX All right, I’ll do it.

LIZ Thank you, Max. I really appreciate this.

MAX I’ll be there in ten minutes. And Liz?

LIZ Yes?

MAX I’m glad you thought it was important enough to give me a call.

Liz appears moved.

LIZ Thank you, Max.

MAX You’re welcome.

Liz hangs up and thinks a moment. She is deeply moved by Max’s caring. Max walks back to Isabel and his parents.

DIANE Who was that, honey?

MAX It was Liz, mom. I need to go help her pick Maria up downtown.

DIANE Right now? But it’s...

Diane checks her watch: 11: 33 PM

DIANE ...27 minutes until the new millennium.

MAX I know, I’m sorry, mom. But this is really important.

Isabel stands up.

ISABEL I’ll go with him.

Max appears surprised. Diane is confused.

ISABEL I just remembered that I have to do something before midnight too.

DIANE What?

ISABEL Uh... You know. Stuff.

Diane wearily looks at Max and Isabel.

PHILIP Just be careful, out there you two. And hurry back.

DIANE Philip?

DIANE Listen, they obviously don’t wanna be here with stuffy old mom and dad, so let’em go out. There will be other New Years celebrations. (to Max and Isabel) Go on.

MAX Thanks, dad. We’ll be back as fast as we can.

Max and Isabel exit the living room, and put on jackets in the foyer. Philip pulls Diane closer to him and whispers an aside.

PHILIP With the kids out partying all night, we can do some own partying of our own, huh?

A wry smile grows across Diane’s face as she snuggles close to him. Max and Isabel have their jackets on and turn to the living room at the sound of Diane giggling.

MAX Come on.

Max walks out the front door. Isabel hesitates and watches the couch.

DIANE Oo, Philip.

Isabel rolls her eyes.

ISABEL Oh, my God. Could my life get any...

Diane and Philip start to giggle. Isabel gets a mortified look on her face and walks out the door.

EXT. STREETS OF ROSWELL - SAME

Michael takes a seat on the curb and checks his watch.

MICHAEL Come on, Maria. For once in your life, do something right for a change.

EXT. STREETS OF ROSWELL - DOWNTOWN - SAME

Alex and Maria run through the bustling crowds.

ALEX So, let me guess this straight. Michael’s foster dad has to come up with $10,000 by midnight, or these guys are gonna kill him?

MARIA That pretty much sums it up.

ALEX Why can’t Michael do something? Why can’t he shoot... Laser beams from his eyes or something.

MARIA Michael’s an alien, Alex. Not Superman. And to make matters worse, I lied to mom and stole $10,000 of the $30,000 she made from the wrestling booth to give to Michael to pay these guys off. And now that’s gone too.

ALEX Boy this just isn’t your night is it?

MARIA God, I wish there was a way to get that money!

Maria checks her watch: 11: 36 PM.

MARIA Michael’s dad only has 24 minutes left.

ALEX Follow me. I think I know of a way.

MARIA What?

ALEX Just follow me, all right?

MARIA Yeah.

Alex takes the lead and sprints off. Maria follows.

MARIA But where are we going?

EXT. THE CRASHDOWN CAFE - SAME

Jeff waits outside the diner. The sheriff’s Jeep Cherokee pulls up and SHERIFF VALENTI steps out with a note pad Liz hangs back.

VALENTI Jeff.

JEFF Jim. I hate to call you out like this, especially on New Years.

VALENTI Don’t worry about it. With all the partiers, dooms day cults and everything in between out in full force tonight, I figure the long arm of the law should make his presence part of the new millennium as well, don’t you?

Jeff and Valenti smile. Valenti turns to Liz and tilts his hat.

VALENTI Liz.

LIZ Hey, Sheriff.

Valenti and Liz exchange a series of knowing glances. Liz becomes uneasy as Valenti turns to Jeff, opens his note pad, and takes out a pen.

VALENTI So, we got a stolen car here, huh?

Down the street, Max pulls around the corner in the jeep. Max honks the horn and Liz sprints towards them as Valenti and Jeff turn their heads.

INT. MAX’S JEEP - CONTINUOUS

Liz gets in the jeep next to Max (Isabel is in the backseat).

MAX Hey.

ISABEL Liz.

LIZ Hey, Isabel.

MAX Where are we headed?

LIZ Conner and fifth.

Max nods and makes a right.

ISABEL Oo, The “fashionable” part of town.

MAX What’s this all about?

LIZ I don’t know, Maria wouldn’t say. But she sounded kind of upset.

Max drives down the street in front of the Crashdown. As they pass by Jeff waves to Liz and Valenti and Max lock eyes for a second. It’s an intense stare. Max drives down the street as Isabel glances back at Valenti.

ISABEL That man has serious issues.

EXT. THE UFO MUSEUM - MOMENTS LATER

The all night festivities rage on as Alex and Maria finally stop, out of breath and breathing hard in front of a building.

MARIA Why did we stop? I thought you said you were knew where we could get $10,000.

ALEX That’s not what I said. I said... That I knew where we could get some money.

MARIA Okay, but why are we at the UFO Museum?

ALEX Watch and learn, my good friend. Watch and learn.

The building is closed, but Alex hits an intercom switch anyway.

MILTON (O.C.) Yes?

ALEX Milton, it’s me. I need to see you about something. It’s pretty important.

MILTON (O.C.) How do I know it’s really you? You could be some government clone.

Alex turns to a security camera hanging in a corner of the entrance and waves.

ALEX Now do you believe me? Come on, let us in.

MILTON (O.C.) What’s the password?

ALEX Dreamland.

MILTON (O.C.) Lucky guess. What’s the OTHER pass word?

ALEX True Believer.

The door buzzes and Alex and Maria enter.

INT. THE UFO MUSEUM - MAIN HALL - CONTINUOUS

Alex and Maria walk down the steps into the main hall. Milton sits around a card table with three white haired gentleman in their 50s. All wear tuxedos. Milton stands up and walks over to Alex and Maria.

MILTON Well, well, well. What brings you here on such a momentous occasion, young Alex?

ALEX I need a favor.

MILTON Don’t we all.

ALEX Who are the old dudes?

MILTON Bite your tongue, young believer. Those are the Roswell Three. The original participants in the greatest event of the 20th Century.

Each one waves a friendly hello as Milton Introduces them:

MILTON Walter Haut, Glenn Dennis, and Max Little.

Alex and Maria wave halfheartedly, not knowing who these guys are.

ALEX Milton, listen, I need a favor. Remember when I upgraded your computer archives and made them Y2K compliant, and you said that you’d pay me back whenever I needed it?

MILTON Yeah.

ALEX I need it. Now, tonight in fact.

MILTON How much?

ALEX Let’s see... Figure in labor, cost of the hardware and software... I think 8000 is fair don’t you?

MILTON 8000? Are you out of your mind? I don’t...

Alex walks up to Milton and moves him away from Maria.

ALEX Milton, we’re friends, right? I’m a true believer, you’re a true believer. But people like her...

Alex points to Maria.

ALEX ...Aren’t. Now, I didn’t want to bring this up, but I basically have the keys to your entire system, and just think what would happen to me if someone like her were to... Let’s say, “charm the pants off me?” There’s no telling what kinds of secrets I might accidently blurt out in a moment of passion, and with the things I saw when I was in there...

Milton considers Alex’s argument. He then looks at Maria then at Alex.

MILTON You drive a hard bargain Dreamland, and I can see you’re passionate about this -- Just like I was when I was your age. Stay right there.

Milton walks up the stairs leading to his office as Maria walks up to Alex.

MARIA Well?

ALEX He’s gonna do it.

MARIA Really? That’s great. You should have asked for 10,000 though.

ALEX Maria, I charge $35 an hour for what I can do. It only took me 40 hours to do it. $8000 is pushing it at best.

Maria nods.

MARIA Can I ask you something?

ALEX Sure.

MARIA Why are you doing this?

ALEX Because Michael is your friend. And I know that his circumstances aren’t like yours or mine. I figure if helping him out makes me a better friend to you... Then it’s worth it.

Maria appears moved.

ALEX And it’s kind of a thank you.

MARIA Thank you? For what?

ALEX Letting me in on you and Liz’s little secret... And for introducing me to Isabel.

Maria gets a subtle look of realization on her face.

MARIA Ah... I see.

Maria nods as Alex appears embarrassed.

EXT. STREETS OF ROSWELL - DOWNTOWN - NIGHT

Michael pours Tabasco sauce on a piece of pie which he holds on a paper plate. He walks away from a concession stand down the crowded main street as he eats. Michael glances at his watch: 11: 39 PM.

INT. MAX’S JEEP - SAME

Max drives the jeep through the clogged streets.

MAX So, what’s this all about? Why were you going to pick Maria up in the middle of downtown?

LIZ I don’t really know. She didn’t really say.

ISABEL Typical Maria.

Liz turns around and appears amused.

LIZ Exactly.

Isabel smiles as Liz turns faces forward.

LIZ But I figured that it was my duty to not ask and just be...

MAX A good friend?

Liz looks at Max. A connection is made.

LIZ Yeah.

Max smiles and Liz faces forward. Isabel has to contain her amusement.

EXT. THE CORNER OF CONNER AND FIFTH - MOMENTS LATER

The jeep rounds the corner and pulls up to Alex and Maria who stand on a curb.

LIZ Are you guys, okay?

MARIA Yeah, yeah.

ALEX Hi, Isabel.

Isabel appears almost embarrassed.

ISABEL Hi, Alex.

Alex and Isabel smile at each other.

LIZ Maria, what is going on? Why did you need me to pick you up here?

Maria takes a deep breath and exhales, then looks directly at Liz and Max.

MARIA It’s Michael. He’s in trouble.

MAX Michael? What’s wrong with Michael?!

EXT. THE CORNER OF CONNER AND FIFTH - LATER

The groups sits in the jeep with Alex, Maria and Isabel in the back, and Max and Liz in the front.

MAX So Michael’s dad needs $10,000 or these guys are gonna kill him? Why didn’t he just call me?

MARIA You know, Michael. He thought he could take care of everything.

Max nods.

MARIA Alex and I were able to get $8000, but we’re still $2000 short.

ISABEL Max, maybe we could loan them the rest of the money. You know, our college fund and all those birthday checks from relatives over the years.

MAX I thought about that, but you can only take $300 out of an ATM per day. And the banks are closed.

MARIA Shit.

They all sit there in silence. Alex checks his watch: 11: 45 PM.

ALEX Well, we better think of something fast because in 15 minutes it’s going to be midnight.

Max, Liz, Maria and Isabel all shake their heads in defeat. Liz looks up and sees something.

LIZ Max.

Max looks up as does Maria, Alex and Isabel.

The jeep is sitting parked in front of a POOL HALL. It is pretty seedy, as BIKER types mill about the front and loud music booms from an open doorway.

Max and Liz look at one another with raised eye brows.

INT. THE POOL HALL - MOMENTS LATER

Thick cigarette smoke hangs in the air as Max, Liz, Isabel, Alex and Maria walk in. The surly patrons turn and give them the once over, then return to their games.

ISABEL Are you sure this is a good idea?

MAX Iz, trust me. Liz and I know what we’re doing.

SAL, 20s, a guy in a pin-stripe suit with gold chains and slicked back, hair notices Isabel and walks over to her.

SAL Hey, gorgeous. What brings you here?

Isabel gives Sal the once over with disdain.

ISABEL Obviously, lack of good judgment.

ALEX Uh, she’s with me.

SAL She’s with you, huh?

Alex nods as he puts on a confident facade.

SAL Then she really does have lack of good judgment.

The pool hall erupts with laughter. Max and the gang look around, but their cool exteriors never betrays their fear.

MAX Hey. Are you the top stick around here?

SAL Yeah. Name’s Sal. Who wants to know.

MAX Max. Max Evans. You willing to put your money where you mouth is, Sal?

Sal looks Max over,

SAL Against you?

MAX Yes... Well, me and my partner. Double or nothing.

Sal looks Liz over. The entire pool has watches the exchange.

SAL Okay, sure. If you want to start the new year off broke, I ain’t got nothing better to do.

MAX Okay.

SAL $100 gets in you game. 10 to 1 odds, shall we say?

LIZ 20 to1.

SAL Oo. The little lady likes to live dangerously. Okay, sweetie. I can do that. Let’s rack’em up!

The pool hall explodes in cheer as Sal leads Max and Liz over to a table. Max and Liz select their pool sticks as Sal stands across the table from them with MANNY, 20s, a handsome Latino with a pony tail, dressed in a suit.

SAL Max and Liz, meet Manny.

MANNY Hey.

MAX Hey.

SAL You guys can break.

A pool hand racks the balls at the end of the table. Max and Liz chalk up their sticks.

LIZ Max, are you sure we can do this?

MAX Trust me. It’s up to a “higher power”.

Max winks and moves to the table as Liz smiles. Max lines up his shot... WHACK! The balls scatter across the felt table top.

MAX You’re turn.

MONTAGE:

Max and Liz, Manny and Sal take turns. Balls move effortlessly across the table, bounce off bumpers and end up in desired pockets. It is an intelligent, graceful, fierce display of pool sharking. Shots are scored, the crowd goes wild.

During the sequence, it is evident that Max is using his powers to give the ball an added spin here and there to achieve the desired shots.

Liz manages to hold her own and sink shots without any assistance.

END MONTAGE.

The final shot. Max leans over the table and lines up his cue: the classic eight ball in the corner pocket from a 45 degree bank shot. Max shoots... The ball bounces off the side... Rolls toward the eight ball...

...Max rests a glowing hand against the pool table...

The ball seems to miraculously bank suddenly and hit the eight ball dead on and sink it. The crowd explodes in cheer.

Sal and Manny are not happy as they walk over to Max and Liz. Manny counts out hundred dollar bills into Max’s hand.

SAL One thousand, nine hundred. Two thousand.

MAX Thank you.

SAL How the hell did you play almost a perfect game?

MAX Just natural ability I guess.

Two men stumble in through the entrance. MARTY, 40s, big and burly, and JOHNNY, late 20s. Marty supports Johnny who clutches his stomach. Johnny has been shot as is evidenced by the blood dripping through his fingers.

MARTY The boss has been shot!

SAL In the back, hurry!

Marty takes the wounded Johnny to the back as Max and company stare in utter shock.

DEPUTY OWENS, wearing his uniform, bursts through the doorway, gun drawn.

DEPUTY OWENS Where did they go?!

Nobody says a word. Owens realizes that Max, Liz et. al. are there.

DEPUTY OWENS Liz? What are you guys doing here?

LIZ We’re uh...

Max quickly hides the money behind his back.

MAX They went that way.

Max points to the door.

DEPUTY OWENS They did?

ALEX Yeah, they came in here, saw there was no place to hide and ran out.

DEPUTY OWENS They did.

LIZ Yeah, he’s right. They ran out as soon as they came in. He’s right.

Deputy Owens looks at Max and the gang suspiciously. Deputy Owens then looks at the faces of the pool hall patrons. No one says a word. Deputy Owens lowers his gun.

DEPUTY OWENS You guys be careful tonight. There’s no telling what’s gonna happen.

LIZ We will.

Deputy Owens nods and heads for the door.

MAX Be sure to say hi to sheriff Valenti for us.

Deputy Owens runs out the door. It is so quiet it’s eerie.

ISABEL Max, why did you do that?

Before Max can answer...

SAL Thank you. You didn’t have to do that, but you did. Come with me.

Isabel looks at Max, confused. Max follows Sal. Liz, Maria, Alex and Isabel follow him.

INT. THE POOL HALL - BACK ROOM - CONTINUOUS

Sal enters a small, cramped back room followed by Max and the others. Johnny lays on a couch as Manny, wearing a stethoscope, tends to Johnny’s wound. Marty holds Johnny’s hand.

MARTY Hold on, boss. Hang in there.

SAL How is it?

Johnny stands up and moves to Sal.

MANNY He’s lost a lot of blood. The bullet passed right through, but if he doesn’t get a transfusion fast, he’s not gonna make it.

Sal gets a worried look on his face as he rubs his temples.

SAL Well, what kind of blood does he need?

MANNY AB-Negative. It’s very rare, and very hard to come by.

Johnny, barely conscious, beckons Sal over to him. Sal kneels down beside him.

JOHNNY Sal... Listen to me... There’s one last job we gotta do then we can leave this shit-hole town.

SAL I’m listening.

JOHNNY There’s this guy... He owes us $10,000... His kid is supposed to deliver the money to us at midnight. Go and pick it up.

Max looks to Liz as everybody makes the connection.

SAL I will, Sal. I will.

JOHNNY If he doesn’t deliver... Shoot’em.

Sal nods as Johnny collapses in pain.

ISABEL How much would it be worth to you if we could give you a blood transfusion right now?

MANNY Don’t joke around, toots.

ISABEL No, I’m serious. How much would it be worth?

MAX What are you doing?

ISABEL Trust me, Max.

SAL What? Are you for real? Don’t be jerking my chain little lady.

ISABEL I’m not. What if I said that me and my friends work at a blood bank, and we can give you the transfusion you need long enough to keep you alive until you get out of town?

Manny, Marty and Sal pique up.

SAL Are you serious?

ISABEL Yes.

Sal looks down at Johnny and then back to Isabel and the gang.

SAL Okay, do it. You can have whatever you want.

ISABEL Ten thousand.

SAL What?!

MARTY Are you outta your freak’n’ mind blondie?

ISABEL No, I’m dead serious. Like you’re friend said, this is a rare blood type. If he needs it, it’s gonna cost you.

Sal looks at Isabel intensely. Marty pulls out a pistol and is about to aim it at Isabel when Sal stops him.

SAL NO!

Marty begrudgingly puts his weapon away. Sal turns to Isabel.

SAL You’re serious aren’t you?

ISABEL Yeah, we’ve got the stuff in the jeep out front. It’s up to you, but I don’t think you’re friend has much time.

Sal looks at Johnny who is no unconscious.

SAL Okay. You got yourself a deal. He’ll probably kill me for this, but what the hell. And he’s not my friend. He’s my brother.

The revelation hits all of them.

EXT. THE POOL HALL - LATER

Max, Liz, Alex and Maria stand around the jeep. Waiting.

LIZ Max, are you sure she’s gonna be okay in there by herself?

MAX Isabel can take care of herself. I trust her.

Liz nods. Maria walks up to Max.

MARIA I know that you and me never really talk that much, but I just wanted to thank you for everything you’ve done tonight.

Liz watches Maria with admiration.

MAX Well, you’re a friend of Liz’s, Maria. And you care about Michael like I do. I just want to see everybody happy.

Maria appears moved by Max’s statement. Liz looks at Max with a heart-felt gaze.

INT. THE POOL HALL - BACK ROOM - SAME

Empty except for Isabel and Johnny. Isabel takes off her coat and kneels down next to Johnny who is barely lucid. She places the end of a clear rubber tube in the palm of one hand and presses the other end against Johnny’s exposed arm.

ISABEL I know I shouldn’t be doing this, but I doubt you’re going to any real hospitals anytime soon, so I think I’m safe.

Isabel’s hands glow and the tube fills up with blood. Isabel winces a little from the initial sting, but conveys her blood into Johnny’s arm. After a few moments, the blood retreats into Isabel’s palm and she removes the tube.

EXT. THE POOL HALL - NIGHT

Isabel emerges from the pool hall. Max and the gang pique up.

ALEX Isabel, are you okay?

ISABEL Yeah, I’m fine, Alex. Everything is okay. Johnny’s gonna live. But we’ve got a little problem.

ALEX There’s a surprise.

ISABEL Sal is going to pay us $10,000, but guess where he’s gonna get the money from?

MAX/LIZ (simultaneously) Michael.

Isabel nods. Maria checks her watch: 11: 55 PM.

MARIA It’s 11:55 PM.

LIZ Then let’s go.

The gang hops in the jeep. Max tries to start it but...

LIZ What? What’s wrong?

MAX It won’t start.

ISABEL What?!

ALEX Try again!

MAX Hold on, hold on.

Max tries to turn it over. The jeep just won’t start.

MARIA Oh, Jesus. Like, not now!

Liz turns to Maria.

LIZ Maria. Go.

MARIA What?

LIZ Take the money to Michael.

MARIA Are you serious?

ISABEL Yes! Go.

Maria hesitates as she looks at Max, Liz and then Isabel. Maria nods.

MARIA All right.

Max hands Maria a brown paper bag full of money. Maria takes it and hops out of the jeep. She starts to run, but stops and looks back at them.

ALEX Go!

LIZ Go. It’ll be all right.

Maria nods and tears off down the street. Max sees that Liz has a worried look on her face. He puts a hand on hers.

MAX She’ll be okay.

LIZ I know.

Liz looks down and sees Max’s hand on hers. She then looks at Max who just stares lovingly back at her. Max doesn’t remove his hand.

EXT. STREETS OF ROSWELL - NIGHT

Maria runs with the bag of money. She ducks, leaps, dodges and nearly jumps under, over, and through the ever increasing crowds.

EXT. THE POOL HALL - BACK ALLEY - NIGHT

Sal helps a wounded Johnny into the back of a BMW. Sal and Marty get in the front seat and the car pulls away.

EXT. STREETS OF ROSWELL - DOWNTOWN - SAME

Michael stands on a fairly deserted street corner and looks up at the street signs: FIFTH AND WABASH. He checks his watch: 11: 56 PM

MICHAEL Come on, Maria.

EXT. STREETS OF ROSWELL - SAME

Maria continues to run for all she is worth.

MARIA (O.C.) Hold on, Michael. Just hold on.

EXT. STREETS OF ROSWELL - DOWNTOWN - SAME

The BMW navigates the crowded streets. Marty is behind the wheel with Sal riding shotgun. Johnny rides in the back, almost unconscious. Marty honks the horn:

MARTY Come on! Move, move!

He lays on the horn...

INT. THE DE LUCA HOUSE - LIVING ROOM - SAME

On the TV screen in the living room:

DICK CLARK Well, this is it folks. Only three more minutes left in the 20th Century!

Amy has a worried look on her face.

AMY Oh, I hope Maria doesn’t miss this.

EXT. STREETS OF ROSWELL - SAME

Maria continues to sprint through the endless sea of nocturnal partiers.

EXT. THE POOL HALL - SAME

Max glances at his watch: 11:58 PM. He looks at Liz and they share an unspoken connection.

INT. THE CRASHDOWN CAFE - SAME

Everybody is on their feet as they stand watching the TV.

DICK CLARK I can’t believe this folks! We are just two minutes away from a new millennium! What a year this has been!

Valenti and Jeff stand next to each other in the midst of the crowd.

JEFF What’s Kyle doing tonight?

VALENTI I don’t know. He said he was going out with some friends.

EXT. STREETS OF ROSWELL - SAME

Maria runs. The crowds are much thicker now as people gather in front of storefront windows watching Dick Clark.

MARIA (O.C.) Just hold on... Hold on Michael. I’m coming.

EXT. TRAILER PARK - NIGHT

Marty forces MICHAEL’S FOSTER DAD into the rear of the car. Marty gets in the front and the car speeds off.

INT. THE EVAN’S HOME - LIVING ROOM - CONTINUOUS

Diane lays on top of Philip (both are fully clothed) as they make out like a couple of teen agers. They manage to look toward the TV

DICK CLARK 11:59! Just one more minute until 2000!

DIANE I hope the kids are having a good time.

PHILIP I don’t know about the kids, but I sure am.

EXT. STREETS OF ROSWELL - DOWNTOWN - SAME

Michael looks down the street and sees a BMW turn onto the street. It slowly crawls toward him.

EXT. STREETS OF ROSWELL - DOWNTOWN - CONTINUOUS

Maria rounds the corner at one end. She sees Michael standing at the far end of the block. She runs toward him in SLOW MOTION.

The car slowly drives forward. Closer... Closer...

Maria continues to run as she yells out:

MARIA Michael!

Michael turns around and sees Maria barreling at him from behind. He turns and sees the BMW slow and finally stop. Marty, Sal, Johnny and Michael’s Foster Father all exit. They walk toward Michael...

Michael turns around as Maria throws the bag of money into the air. It hurls toward him in SLOW MOTION... Maria ducks into a doorway...

INT. THE UFO MUSEUM - SAME

Milton and the Roswell Three stand with glasses of champagne as they watch a portable TV.

MILTON/ROSWELL THREE ...Five...

EXT. STREETS OF ROSWELL - DOWNTOWN - SAME

Sal and the group stand in front of Michael.

JOHNNY You got the cash?

INT. THE DE LUCA HOUSE - LIVING ROOM - SAME

AMY ...Four...

EXT. STREETS OF ROSWELL - DOWNTOWN - SAME

MICHAEL Yeah. Right here.

INT. THE CRASHDOWN CAFE - SAME

VALENTI/JEFF ...Three...

EXT. THE POOL HALL - SAME

MAX/LIZ/ALEX/ISABEL ...Two...

INT. THE EVAN’S HOME - LIVING ROOM - SAME

Philip and Diane stand with glasses of champagne.

PHILIP/DIANE One!

DICK CLARK Happy Millennium everybody!

EXT. STREETS OF ROSWELL - DOWNTOWN - SAME

The crowds explode in a fusillade of deafening cheer. Fireworks blaze across the sky. A euphoria of anticipation is released.

Michael, Sal, Johnny, Michael’s Foster Father, and Marty all turn to the sky as colorful star bursts light up the sky just as...

The bag lands in Michael’s hand behind his back.

EXT. THE DE LUCA HOUSE - LIVING ROOM - SAME

Amy dances around with a Martini in one hand as she blows party favor in the other.

INT. THE CRASHDOWN CAFE - SAME

Valenti and Jeff Parker hug one another.

INT. THE EVAN’S HOME - LIVING ROOM - SAME

Philip and Diane hug each other and kiss passionately.

EXT. THE POOL HALL - SAME

Max and Liz kiss one another passionately. It’s long and warm. Alex and Isabel also share a kiss. Not as passionate, but sweet and tender nonetheless.

EXT. STREETS OF ROSWELL - DOWNTOWN - SAME

MICHAEL Yeah, I got the money. I got it right here.

Michael hands the bag to Johnny who hands the bag to Marty, who counts it.

MARTY It’s all here, boss.

JOHNNY (to Michael’s Foster Father) You’re lucky, old man. Looks like you’re gonna have a happy new year after all.

Johnny slaps Michael’s Foster Father on the cheek twice as Sal, Marty and him walk back to the car. Before Johnny gets in:

JOHNNY By the way... Happy Millennium.

They get in the car and it drives away. Michael is left with his Foster Father. They stare at each other, his father visibly ashamed. Maria walks down the street toward the two.

Michael and his Foster Father walk down the street.

FOSTER FATHER Listen, Michael... I know that it hasn’t been easy for you to have me as a parent...

MICHAEL Awe, let’s not...

Michael’s Foster Father stops and looks at Michael.

FOSTER FATHER No. I’m serious. It’s my new years resolution. I promise to be there for you... Because you came through for me when you didn’t have to.

Michael doesn’t know how to react, but maintains his tough exterior.

MICHAEL I just didn’t want to see you get hurt. You’re the only family I’ve got.

MARIA Michael.

Michael and his Foster Father look up and see Maria who walks toward them.

FOSTER FATHER No... I think you’ve got another one.

MICHAEL Maria. This is my Foster Father, Hank. Hank, This is Maria.

Maria and Michael’s Foster Father (HANK) shake hands.

HANK It’s nice to meet you, Maria.

MARIA You too, Hank.

Michael and Maria stand there with Hank.

HANK I think I’ll just... I’ll see you at home, Michael.

MICHAEL Okay, Hank.

HANK And Michael? Thank you.

MICHAEL You’re welcome, Hank. Happy New Year.

HANK That’s right. It is, isn’t it?

Michael nods. Hanks smiles and walks away. The fireworks continue to explode above Michael and Maria as the party of the millennium rages on a few blocks away. They walk down the street in silence.

MICHAEL Look... I don’t know...

MARIA You’re welcome.

Michael and Maria look at each other.

MICHAEL Thank you.

Michael and Maria walk on in silence for a few moments.

MICHAEL Weird night, huh?

MARIA You could say that.

They stop.

MICHAEL Look... This is why I didn’t want to get involved with you. And this is why I didn’t want to even call you to night. I’ve screwed up your life enough that if you...

Maria grabs Michael and plants the most passionate kiss that you’ve ever seen on him. Fireworks fill the sky above them.

MARIA Happy Millennium.

Michael is at a loss.

MICHAEL Happy Millennium.

INT. THE CRASHDOWN CAFE - LATER

Max, Liz, Maria, Michael, Alex, and Isabel, along with Diane, Philip, Amy, Valenti and Jeff (along with Liz’s mother NANCY), all dance the night away amid the other party goers.

MARIA (O.C.) Well, there you have it. It’s not Shakespeare, but that’s what happened. At least that’s my story and I’m sticking to it. Max and Liz eventually got back together, Isabel and Alex got together for the first time, and Sal paid us back the money he owed us for saving his brother’s life which I put back in my mom’s dresser drawer. As a side note, Sal and his gang are now serving life in prison without the possibility of parole for racketeering.

EXT. MARIA DE LUCA’S ROOM - NIGHT

Maria sits on her bed writing in her journal.

MARIA (O.C.) My God, is my life, like, really this complicated, now? -- Scratch that -- Anyway, that’s how I spent the last 45 minutes of the 20th Century. Funny... Somehow I pictured it without so much running. Weird.

Maria shakes her head and continues to write.

MARIA (O.C.) Ironic... We spend so much time running toward the future that sometimes we get so far away from the the things that really matter. But as long as we have our friends... I guess it doesn’t matter where we run to because in the end... Every road leads back to them.

Maria looks up at a picture of Liz, Michael, Alex, Isabel and Maria. A banner above them reads HAPPY 2000!

THE END

Email Author | Back to FanFic Page
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.